Statement from Mitch Kupchak
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
CaliRyderX: just get the hell out of here.

Well stated. After reading that first reply to the OP I couldn't have worded it better.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Seems like being enthusiastic about your ignorance is the hottest trend these days.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Statement from Mitch Kupchak

LakeShow06 wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

Good Riddance to you and Jim Buss as shot callers. You were without question the worst GM the Lakers have had.

I have no hate for you, but I strongly disagree with your assessment.

You have the right to your opinion within the Rules of this Board.

As do I. Here's mine, from an earlier post.

Quote:

Mitch Kupchak gave everything he had to this franchise.

Came as a free agent from Washington to be Kareem's backup.

Fought through a ton of knee injuries.

Literally fought with Akeem Olajuwon in the desperation Game 5 of the 1986 WCF and got both of them thrown out of the game... a pawn-for-queen gambit which is legendary in NBA lore.

Earned his MBA while on the injured list and later as a scout for West.

Became a valued assistant GM to West.

Took the reins from West after he retired in 2000.

Figured out how to find bargain basement players to fill out the roster in the face of Dr. Buss' very difficult cost-conscious directives in the Shaq-Kobe era.

Did the hard task of a reasonable rebuild in the mid-2000s just as more and more corporate conglomerates were taking over team ownership throughout the league.

Traded for hidden gems in Shannon Brown and Trevor Ariza.

Traded Kwame Brown and change for Pau Gasol.

Turned difficult negotiations for Trevor Ariza into FA signing of Ron Artest.

Retained services of Lamar Odom at reduced price.

Negotiated Chris Paul trade with Pau Gasol at near peak value and for savings of $20 million on salary cap over time, only to have deal rejected by other owners in controversial move.

Recovered to negotiate trade for Dwight Howard dealing only Andrew Bynum and minor assets.

Negotiated trade for Steve Nash to team with Howard (albeit for loss of multiple draft picks).

Drafted above value with picks for Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance, Jr., and Ivica Zubac.

Drafted D'Angelo Russell over Jahlil Okafor (though missed Porzingis).

Was Mitch a perfect GM? Of course not - there is no such thing. Even the great Jerry West missed some hidden gems in the draft.

But FAR more often than not, Mitch made the best possible deals for this franchise and helped maintain its growth and success in changing times. Mitch was a loyal member of the team, both on and off the court. The last few years will and should be viewed in the context of devoted and exemplary service over the course of FOUR DECADES.

There was a saying around here for years: "Do it, Mitch!"

You did it, sir. And we were lucky to have you.

THANK YOU, MITCH.

MIM

You have the right to state your disagreement. Do so, or not, either choice does me no harm.

But I will gladly and strongly disagree with anyone who says Mitch Kupchak was the worst General Manager this team ever had.

MIM

Quality post here.

MIM - meant to reply earlier but I was at work - WELL STATED respects and thank you to Mitch. I couldn't agree more.

Mitch was, and is, pure class.
QuadDouble
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

augus7 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Seems like being enthusiastic about your ignorance is the hottest trend these days.

"I'm saying the world is flat. Respect it, it's my opinion bruh".

People think opinions are created equal.

OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

Well said.
While it is everyone's right to have an opinion, there is no right to be shielded from criticism. In this particular case, the only uncertainty I have is whether to call the opinion ignorant or stupid. Perhaps a hybrid of both?
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Statement from Mitch Kupchak

CaliRyderX wrote:
MJST wrote:
Statement from Mitch:
Quote:
I would like to thank the Buss family for 36 incredible years. In particular I would like to acknowledge Dr. Buss who brought me here as a player in 1981. I also want to thank every Laker player, coach and staff member with whom I have worked and who supported me through the good times and the very few not so good times. I am most disappointed that I won't have the opportunity to continue to work with Luke and watch this young and talented team grow and eventually win in the Laker tradition. Finally, my best wishes to Earvin Johnson and the Laker organization going forward.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5Son_oUMAAcMPx.jpg

"You don't have to say anything, when you can say it all by not mentioning her name once."
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/022/138/reece.JPG

Good Riddance to you and Jim Buss as shot callers. You were without question the worst GM the Lakers have had.

go pound sand vermin
outkast100
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Statement from Mitch Kupchak

MIMLaker wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

I have no hate for you, but I strongly disagree with your assessment.

You have the right to your opinion within the Rules of this Board.

As do I. Here's mine, from an earlier post.

Quote:

Mitch Kupchak gave everything he had to this franchise.

Came as a free agent from Washington to be Kareem's backup.

Fought through a ton of knee injuries.

Literally fought with Akeem Olajuwon in the desperation Game 5 of the 1986 WCF and got both of them thrown out of the game... a pawn-for-queen gambit which is legendary in NBA lore.

Earned his MBA while on the injured list and later as a scout for West.

Became a valued assistant GM to West.

Took the reins from West after he retired in 2000.

Figured out how to find bargain basement players to fill out the roster in the face of Dr. Buss' very difficult cost-conscious directives in the Shaq-Kobe era.

Did the hard task of a reasonable rebuild in the mid-2000s just as more and more corporate conglomerates were taking over team ownership throughout the league.

Traded for hidden gems in Shannon Brown and Trevor Ariza.

Traded Kwame Brown and change for Pau Gasol.

Turned difficult negotiations for Trevor Ariza into FA signing of Ron Artest.

Retained services of Lamar Odom at reduced price.

Negotiated Chris Paul trade with Pau Gasol at near peak value and for savings of $20 million on salary cap over time, only to have deal rejected by other owners in controversial move.

Recovered to negotiate trade for Dwight Howard dealing only Andrew Bynum and minor assets.

Negotiated trade for Steve Nash to team with Howard (albeit for loss of multiple draft picks).

Drafted above value with picks for Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance, Jr., and Ivica Zubac.

Drafted D'Angelo Russell over Jahlil Okafor (though missed Porzingis).

Was Mitch a perfect GM? Of course not - there is no such thing. Even the great Jerry West missed some hidden gems in the draft.

But FAR more often than not, Mitch made the best possible deals for this franchise and helped maintain its growth and success in changing times. Mitch was a loyal member of the team, both on and off the court. The last few years will and should be viewed in the context of devoted and exemplary service over the course of FOUR DECADES.

There was a saying around here for years: "Do it, Mitch!"

You did it, sir. And we were lucky to have you.

THANK YOU, MITCH.

MIM

You have the right to state your disagreement. Do so, or not, either choice does me no harm.

But I will gladly and strongly disagree with anyone who says Mitch Kupchak was the worst General Manager this team ever had.

MIM

Much respect for Mitch did a great job for the past 20 years or so but the times have changed and now we need to adjust. He pulled a few ones and lost a few, I don't think bashing him on the way out is proper for Laker fans. We are too classy for that.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
And my statement wasn't absurd, it was my opinion.

These two things are not mutually exclusive.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
CaliRyderX: just get the hell out of here.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Statement from Mitch Kupchak

CaliRyderX wrote:

You are no more than 15 years old if you believe that. Jesus man that is just ignorant.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
danzag wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
What year did Mitch Kupchak become GM? I'm confused. I'm now reading it was 1994.

Assistant GM from 1986-2000
GM from 2000-2017

So why do people credit Jerry West instead of Mitch for the threepeat? Was he only a titular GM while West actually ran things?

They say Mitch inherited the team.
And it's extremely unfair, as Mitch was West's assistant and for sure helped him during the 90s.

When did West leave the team, leaving Mitch as the sole decision maker?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
danzag wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
danzag wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
What year did Mitch Kupchak become GM? I'm confused. I'm now reading it was 1994.

GM from 2000-2017

So why do people credit Jerry West instead of Mitch for the threepeat? Was he only a titular GM while West actually ran things?

They say Mitch inherited the team.
And it's extremely unfair, as Mitch was West's assistant and for sure helped him during the 90s.

When did West leave the team, leaving Mitch as the sole decision maker?

DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Statement from Mitch Kupchak

CaliRyderX wrote:
MJST wrote:
Statement from Mitch:
Quote:
I would like to thank the Buss family for 36 incredible years. In particular I would like to acknowledge Dr. Buss who brought me here as a player in 1981. I also want to thank every Laker player, coach and staff member with whom I have worked and who supported me through the good times and the very few not so good times. I am most disappointed that I won't have the opportunity to continue to work with Luke and watch this young and talented team grow and eventually win in the Laker tradition. Finally, my best wishes to Earvin Johnson and the Laker organization going forward.

"You don't have to say anything, when you can say it all by not mentioning her name once."

Might be the worst take I have Ever seen on here. Why would you even say that? What facts back that claim up that he was the worst GM?
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Mitch and Jim made some great moves such as getting Pau and Ariza and some bad moves with terrible signings of Nash, Dwight, Mozgov and Deng.

If the league had allowed the CP3 trade, we may have won another championship.

I think overall, they did a pretty good job. I don't think it was fair to blame them for the last 4 seasons since much of that had to do with Kobe's injury and retirement.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
Mitch is all class.

This should have been the first.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Statement from Mitch Kupchak

CaliRyderX wrote:
MJST wrote:
Statement from Mitch:
Quote:

The Pau trade alone makes this the most ignorant statement I've every heard in my life.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Statement from Mitch Kupchak

CaliRyderX wrote:
rajamatazz wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
MJST wrote:
Statement from Mitch:
Quote:

What??
This place needs an ignore button...

What gall, LOL. This place needs an ignore button because God forbid in a public forum a person is choosing to voice their opinion? Get a life.

He just chose to express his opinion that it would be nicer to be able to ignore opinions like yours. He's not trying to censor you, he probably just thinks you don't add anything to the thread (just a guess).
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Statement from Mitch Kupchak

CaliRyderX wrote:
governator wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
MJST wrote:
Statement from Mitch:
Quote:

5 rings in 17 years service, always a class act... Gracias Mitch!

What's with this class act declaration? I never said the guy was a jerk, I just think he sucked as the Lakers GM. It's a moot point anyway, as he's out the door. Chill out and stop trying to hate on me for voicing my opinion.

No, see - that's how this works. You voice your opinion and then other people also voice their opinions, some of which will probably be about your opinion, what since you chose to "voice" it and all.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Mitch has always been 100 percent class and professionalism. Too it off with 5 rings and two decades of success.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

He'll be back in the NBA soon...probably next season. I think everyone knows that he just got hitched to the wrong wagon and ended up being a casualty. Sad! Thanks for everything Mitch and good luck to you in the future.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
He'll be back in the NBA soon...probably next season. I think everyone knows that he just got hitched to the wrong wagon and ended up being a casualty. Sad! Thanks for everything Mitch and good luck to you in the future.

Hard to say. Seems like the popular opinion is that he was out of touch with the current players, as evidenced by the sales pitch to the likes of LaMarcus Aldridge.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
danzag wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

GM from 2000-2017

West built the team and then resigned.
Mitch took over, but many credit those titles to West rather than Kupchak.

West made the trades but he leaned on Mitch for the cba details to make them work.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is a class act. And always has been.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
5 championships under Mitch and he's the worst GM we've ever had? what the (bleep) lmao

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Classy Mitch. Wish him the best, wish he could have stayed in some capacity. Jimbo can go kick rocks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: