Official Tyler Ennis Thread....He was Waived today (6/28)!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
4 teams in 3 seasons, I don't think very many 22 year-olds would be able to bounce back confidence wise as Tyler has. Dude is flourishing. Playing like a solid pro that knows how to take advantage of teams that think little of his game. Making very good decisions and (dare I say?) is almost being a stabilizing presence out there in the way that his veteran predecessors failed to.

I really hope he sticks.

For some guys it's all about playing time and getting the opportunity. You can't show what you've got until you get a chance. Ennis looks like a solid PG with some bbal IQ. Slow at the beginning is normal for anyone as you have to learn a new system. Who knows how far this guy will go, he deserves a spot on this team next season.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

I told y'all that Ennis is like an extra draft pick for us. This guy is solid and is still so young. He has lots of upside. I hope we sign him for next season. We need a back up PG.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
I told y'all that Ennis is like an extra draft pick for us. This guy is solid and is still so young. He has lots of upside. I hope we sign him for next season. We need a back up PG.

It's really not like an extra draft pick. He's an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

It's really not like an extra draft pick. He's an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Yes- details! But I think that he will give us a home team discount and he will not cost a lot of money.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Yes- details! But I think that he will give us a home team discount and he will not cost a lot of money.

He is balling out toget a nice payday --- if any team offers him more money than us, he is taking it.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

He is balling out toget a nice payday --- if any team offers him more money than us, he is taking it.

Possible, but he has moved around so much before this and never gotten consistent minutes. Luke is a good coach, this is a young team that he can grow with. I think we will have a good chance of retaining him if we are in the ballpark.

Yes he has been balling, but outside of the Lakers staff and fans, I am not sure he has been getting much attention.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

If anything he used the Lakers to get better offers. Doubt he gets a FMV deal from the Lakers bc he's probably gonna get a better deal elsewhere.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

^ fair point. He may see the Lakers not just as $$, but also the only place to get proper playing time, be treated right, grow, etc. But I think that's only if the contracts are equal. More money, and I think it's easy for a player to convince himself that other coaches are talented like luke and, if they are paying me a certain price, that I can get minutes with XYZ team.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

16.5 PER since joining the Lakers
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

Looks like the Lakers were able to steal him from Houston before D'antoni got his chance to turn him into the next Jeremy Lin. Tbh, I didn't have high hopes for Ennis since guards traditionally do very well under D'antoni but I guess with Harden, Patrick Beverly ahead of him, he didn't get much playing time.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
4 teams in 3 seasons, I don't think very many 22 year-olds would be able to bounce back confidence wise as Tyler has. Dude is flourishing. Playing like a solid pro that knows how to take advantage of teams that think little of his game. Making very good decisions and (dare I say?) is almost being a stabilizing presence out there in the way that his veteran predecessors failed to.

I really hope he sticks.

For some guys it's all about playing time and getting the opportunity. You can't show what you've got until you get a chance. Ennis looks like a solid PG with some bbal IQ. Slow at the beginning is normal for anyone as you have to learn a new system. Who knows how far this guy will go, he deserves a spot on this team next season.

There's no doubt Tyler has found himself in the right situation with the Lakers and under Luke. It's always refreshing to see an undervalued player find a himself in purple and gold. But I still think it says a lot about him to be able to turn it around as quickly as he has. I just don't think a lot of players could have withstood the blows dealt to their confidence that his situation would have presented. That's equally impressive to me as it shows a glimpse into his innards. He's a winner.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
^ fair point. He may see the Lakers not just as $$, but also the only place to get proper playing time, be treated right, grow, etc. But I think that's only if the contracts are equal. More money, and I think it's easy for a player to convince himself that other coaches are talented like luke and, if they are paying me a certain price, that I can get minutes with XYZ team.

It's his choice really. There is a risk to taking more $$ somewhere else; could make more but also be out of the league in a couple of years. We have seen it plenty of times where chasing a little extra doesn't end up working out and you are out of the league.
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

I personally don't think he has done enough to price himself out of the lakers' range... and that's no disrespect to him, but I just don't think this latest positive trend is a big enough sample size. no one is going to offer him big money to be their starting PG or anything. I think we are in a pretty good spot to be able to keep this kid.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

T.Ennis just found his home, he'll stay for cheap
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

Still wish it was James Ennis. #homer
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

16.5 is not great, but is above average.

I didn't know about that, but I'm not surprised because I'm stressing for some time that he finishes most games with a positive net rating.

Just to put it in perspective, since he joined the team:

Dlo 15.6 PER
JC 12.8 PER

Ennis is not really good, but he is a legit PG and those kind of data makes me think it would be a good thing the FO moving a few parts to make us a better team. You really don't want to make a run with players like Ennis and Nwaba.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Hopefully he's not the new Solomon Hill (the guy who gets poached b/c we are prohibited from paying him more than his declined option.

On the flip side, one could make the case that Lou/Huertas for #28, Ennis and Brewer was a decent trade.

Interesting point about the declined option on his salary. I did not realize that could be an issue. Can you explain it in more detail.

His salary was declined by HOU. Does that have any bearing on the situation. The amount was $2.6M. So Lakers can only go to that amount?

Basically, this is a rule to keep teams from circumventing the rookie scale by declining the 4th year option and then paying more out of cap space (or in Ennis's case, even the MLE). That issue carries over in trade, which keeps a team from, say, declining the option on behalf of another team whom they then trade him to.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

If we get a top 2 pick, I'm not sure he'll see this as a great place to get PT.

pick | JC | dLo | Nwaba | Nick? at the guard spots?

He might feel it's a bit crowded once we're trying again. Especially if Luke runs Brewer at SG some more.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I didn't know about that, but I'm not surprised because I'm stressing for some time that he finishes most games with a positive net rating.

Dlo 15.6 PER
JC 12.8 PER

Ennis is not really good, but he is a legit PG and those kind of data makes me think it would be a good thing the FO moving a few parts to make us a better team. You really don't want to make a run with players like Ennis and Nwaba.

nash,

Do you have a reasonable guess on how more games the Lakers would have won this past year if both Dlo and JC had a 16.5 PER for the whole season? There are a lot of losses where that type of difference **might** have made a difference. I am not saying that Ennis is fantastic just that **above average** is pretty good for the Lakers right now.

--Anonymous
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

forget linsanity...it's all about #ennisanity baby!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

Ennis to society

Fandom Ennis
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I know it's apples to oranges since Mike Bibby was a starter, but:

In 6 seasons at Sacramento, Bibby shot 0.442 fg and 0.380 3pt.
In 20 games with the lakers, Ennis shoots 0.457 fg and 0.422 3 pt.

20 games isn't enough of a sample size, but Ennis' shooting form looks good.

For comparison:

Kevin Love: 0.376 3pt
Harden: 0.346
Eric Gordon: 0.374
D'Angelo: 0.352
Durant: 0.373
Swaggy P: 0.404

Signing Ennis should be a priority for Rob and Magic.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
nash wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Dlo 15.6 PER
JC 12.8 PER

nash,

Do you have a reasonable guess on how more games the Lakers would have won this past year if both Dlo and JC had a 16.5 PER for the whole season? There are a lot of losses where that type of difference **might** have made a difference. I am not saying that Ennis is fantastic just that **above average** is pretty good for the Lakers right now.

I don't have Ennis as a talented player on my book. I look at him more as an indicator about how bad is our roster and we have a terrible record to prove it. When someone like Ennis have a positive impact you know it is not time to stand path with the players you have. Contrary to the dominant theory here I'm all about moving a few pieces.

Last edited by nash on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Ennis to society

Fandom Ennis

Ennis the Menace
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Ennis to society

Fandom Ennis

Ennis the Menace

That one's already been used.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 20 of 38
Jump to: