Official Tyler Ennis Thread....He was Waived today (6/28)!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
If the Lakers draft Ball or another PG, does Ennis come back? At the end of the season, it seemed that people were surprised at how well he played.

I'd say no. He's not gonna get minutes here anyway. Maybe we get a stop gap guy like morrow to by a couple threes.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Without Tyler Ennis the lakers do not get the #2 pick
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Tyler Ennis aka Ennis the Menice aka Tyler the Creator deserves to come back next year as a backup pg. His shot looked legit and looked comfortable running the offense.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Without Tyler Ennis the lakers do not get the #2 pick

True, he did help us win some games.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

He's better than wasting the 28 pick on a back up guard. Keep him and get the stretch 4 with the 28.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm tempted by Livingston I think he would be a good difference maker if we signed him.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
He's better than wasting the 28 pick on a back up guard. Keep him and get the stretch 4 with the 28.

Good point. Plus we'll need Ennis off the bench when we trade JC.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

Would love for Ennis to return as a bench player. Like what I saw in the limited time. Will be interesting to see if he gets any significant offers. Lakers can only match up to $2.6M. Did he show enough to earn more?

Lakers guard rotation is intriguing.

- Russell, Clarkson, Brewer (SF ?), Nwaba and Young under contract.
- assumed a PG at #2
- speculated Young opts out. Nwaba is non-guaranteed
- Clarkson suggested in every trade proposal.

Guessing at least 2 guards are added even without trades or salary dumps. No issue if Ennis was one of them.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

I don't think Lakers can afford to keep him as they cannot offer more than his player option.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:

Or just draft the best player with the most potential at 28
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

Ennis is ready to be our 3rd stringer. With a late pick it may take some time and the odds are good that we are going to pick a guard at #2.

I'd like to draft a SF this year, we don't have any depth at this position.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

People are going to get on me about this (because they love JC for some reason), but I prefer Ennis over JC. Ennis is more of an on-court leader and facilitator.. JC, OTOH, doesn't really have a leadership role and doesn't initiate the offense well (or shoot or defend).
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
People are going to get on me about this (because they love JC for some reason), but I prefer Ennis over JC. Ennis is more of an on-court leader and facilitator.. JC, OTOH, doesn't really have a leadership role and doesn't initiate the offense well (or shoot or defend).

Ennis is not a talented player, but he is a PG something neither JC or Dlo are so the team look good when he is on the floor, but he is not starting material, most a 3rd stringer.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

Ennis is not a talented player, but he is a PG something neither JC or Dlo are so the team look good when he is on the floor, but he is not starting material, most a 3rd stringer.

3rd stringer means he's not even a bench guy. He can be a bench guy. JC has no role on a team. Not shooting, passing, or defending. He can score some in midrange and drive to the basket, but it seems like that's all he can do.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
nash wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

3rd stringer means he's not even a bench guy. He can be a bench guy. JC has no role on a team. Not shooting, passing, or defending. He can score some in midrange and drive to the basket, but it seems like that's all he can do.

Neither Ball or Dlo can drive to the basket, Dlo can't run in transition, Ball don't have a mid range game ... they complete each other pretty well as combo guards.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

Fox and DLO compliment each other well.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
misterrunon wrote:
nash wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

Neither Ball or Dlo can drive to the basket, Dlo can't run in transition, Ball don't have a mid range game ... they complete each other pretty well as combo guards.

He drives the basket but he can't pass, so that just makes him a bench talent at best. Also, we have Ingram who can penetrate. And Ball has the explosion to penetrate to the basket.

What the team needs the most to offensively complement our best talent is 3 point shooting. Randle and JC are not that, and they are bogging down our cap space.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

For sure. It's a bad idea to draft need, lean need if players grade out similar though. I'm not opposed to using the pick to proactively dump a bad deal. I get that some see it as easier to dump Mozdeng with one less year on their deal, but if someone has a bpa at 28 graded out as a mid 1st then maybe they take the bait. I want the player but I'd be willing to trade it before I'd take a lesser player just to fill a specific need like stretch four. Give someone a big one year deal even if you're overpaying some to do it.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:

He drives the basket but he can't pass, so that just makes him a bench talent at best. Also, we have Ingram who can penetrate. And Ball has the explosion to penetrate to the basket.

What the team needs the most to offensively complement our best talent is 3 point shooting. Randle and JC are not that, and they are bogging down our cap space.

JC and Ennis bring different things to the table coming from the bench.

By the way I don't mind moving either Randle or Clarkson, I even believe Nance or Deng are better fits than Julius. If I'm a coach I'm bringing Julius and JC together from the bench giving freedom to do their things.

Last edited by nash on Sat May 20, 2017 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

JC and Ennis bring different things to the table coming from the bench.

By the way I don't mind moving either Randle or Clarkson, I even believe Nance or Deng are better fits than him. If I'm a coach I'm bringing Julius and JC together from the bench giving freedom to do their things.

Yes they do, and what I'm saying is that.. what JC brings, is not what we need. He'd be worth keeping if he showed 1 of these 3 abilities: to steadily improve each season, be respectable from 3 (35%+), or be a good defender.

He hasn't shown any 1 of those things, and it's best to trade him before other teams figure that out.

Under the best case scenario, he'll be 28 or 29 by the time we contend.. and will he have even improved by then? Will he actually have a skillset that is useful to the team?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

For sure. It's a bad idea to draft need, lean need if players grade out similar though. I'm not opposed to using the pick to proactively dump a bad deal. I get that some see it as easier to dump Mozdeng with one less year on their deal, but if someone has a bpa at 28 graded out as a mid 1st then maybe they take the bait. I want the player but I'd be willing to trade it before I'd take a lesser player just to fill a specific need like stretch four. Give someone a big one year deal even if you're overpaying some to do it.

The only situation you might draft differently is if you are so stocked at one position that a guy wouldn't see PT. But with the expanded roster, that isn't as big of a deal.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

I feel the stretch 4 is not only a need but at 28 there seems to be a few probables to take vs not as many for a back up guard. Plus I feel strongly Ennis really wants to stay in the purple and gold. Just depends if another team really wants to commit a bigger longer term contract to him???
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

It won't be hard for a team to offer a bigger contract. Offer the room exception and we can't beat it.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

We do need a backup pg for the bench unless we want JC turning the ball over and over again. If Ennis goes, we should draft a 2nd pg with the #28.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
We do need a backup pg for the bench unless we want JC turning the ball over and over again. If Ennis goes, we should draft a 2nd pg with the #28.

The draft happens before free agency begins.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 24 of 38
Jump to: