Inconsistent worries about 2018 team building

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Inconsistent worries about 2018 team building

We need to apply our concerns to the other teams that may trade for or sign available star players. If this logic is applied, LBJ/PG13 will be Lakers AND Lakers would be the only team that should be wiling to give SA a reasonable trade for Kawhi, but SA will like have to swallow Deng.

1. Lebron wants to team up with another established proven star.
- well that eliminates Philly as they dont have one and can only afford 1. trading their Saric and Covington for Kawhi - Lakers would not top that deal? Really?
- Houston - they dont have close to enough cap space to sign Lebron and CP3/Capela.
- Cleveland - you consider Love a legit star by Lebron?

2. PG13 stated he wants a championship
- OKC - you must be kidding he is getting a championship at OKC
- 76ers - not enough to beat Warriors

3. Lakers need Kawhi to get Lebron
- Lebron just opted out
- on paper, Lebron and PG13 heading to Lakers.
- When Lebron and PG13 sign with Lakers, Kawhi will want to go to LA even if SA does not trade him to Lakers. So Celtics knows it is a one-year rental and would not trade much for Kawhi.
- 76ers - Covington and Saric - seriously?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

this need another thread???
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

Okay, I'll bite.

SA won't have to take on Deng's deal after July 1 if Randle agrees to sign and trade to make contracts work.

76ers not having an established proven star I don't think is a deal breaker. They have 2 young stars, with cap room, and assets to trade for another all star. They are in the East with easier path to the finals. Basketball wise, one can argue it is similar to or better than Lakers position. However, I believe Lebron's personal life situation prefers being in LA.

I think PG is between OKC and LA. I hope he realizes that OKC doesn't have cap space to improve once he resigns. Further, I'd be worried that OKC gives him the Blake Griffin treatment if he resigns (trading him immediately). OKC has historically been cautious with their salary cap space and they will have the highest repeater tax in history of the NBA if he resigns with them. Lakers to me is the obvious choice to partner with another all star, but that's just me.

If the first dominos to fall are PG and Lebron to Lakers, then Lakers lose some leverage in trading for Kawhi and Clippers gain leverage. SAS knows that Lakers don't have cap space to sign Kawhi in 2019 to a free agent deal and only a trade would work. Clippers meanwhile are the other Los Angeles team and, while Kawhi prefers the Lakers, he never ruled out the Clippers.

If Lakers aren't able to deal for Kawhi, I still see Lakers trying to get a different 3rd all star to join PG and Lebron so the rumors won't end.

Lastly, my preference is for Lebron and PG to sign with Lakers as free agents. This allows Lakers to keep their young talent in place. If they are able to unload Deng's deal, then they might also be able to keep Randle. A trade package centered on Randle for a 3rd all star before the deadline is my preference.

1. Trade Deng (not even sure what team(s) have salary cap space to absorb the contract given the number of players opting in). Stretch if we can't trade him.

2. Sign PG and Lebron

3. Resign Randle (we lose Deng if we can't trade Deng)

Lebron, PG, Randle, Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, Wagner, Svi

Unknown - Zubac, Bryant

4. Optional Trade Deadline deal if needed to bring a 3rd all star
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
this need another thread???

my point is we twist logic to the point that counter arguments are inconsistent, whether with FA signings or trades (Kawhi)
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Okay, I'll bite.

SA won't have to take on Deng's deal after July 1 if Randle agrees to sign and trade to make contracts work.

76ers not having an established proven star I don't think is a deal breaker. They have 2 young stars, with cap room, and assets to trade for another all star. They are in the East with easier path to the finals. Basketball wise, one can argue it is similar to or better than Lakers position. However, I believe Lebron's personal life situation prefers being in LA.

I think PG is between OKC and LA. I hope he realizes that OKC doesn't have cap space to improve once he resigns. Further, I'd be worried that OKC gives him the Blake Griffin treatment if he resigns (trading him immediately). OKC has historically been cautious with their salary cap space and they will have the highest repeater tax in history of the NBA if he resigns with them. Lakers to me is the obvious choice to partner with another all star, but that's just me.

If the first dominos to fall are PG and Lebron to Lakers, then Lakers lose some leverage in trading for Kawhi and Clippers gain leverage. SAS knows that Lakers don't have cap space to sign Kawhi in 2019 to a free agent deal and only a trade would work. Clippers meanwhile are the other Los Angeles team and, while Kawhi prefers the Lakers, he never ruled out the Clippers.

If Lakers aren't able to deal for Kawhi, I still see Lakers trying to get a different 3rd all star to join PG and Lebron so the rumors won't end.

Lastly, my preference is for Lebron and PG to sign with Lakers as free agents. This allows Lakers to keep their young talent in place. If they are able to unload Deng's deal, then they might also be able to keep Randle. A trade package centered on Randle for a 3rd all star before the deadline is my preference.

1. Trade Deng (not even sure what team(s) have salary cap space to absorb the contract given the number of players opting in). Stretch if we can't trade him.

2. Sign PG and Lebron

3. Resign Randle (we lose Deng if we can't trade Deng)

Lebron, PG, Randle, Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, Wagner, Svi

Unknown - Zubac, Bryant

4. Optional Trade Deadline deal if needed to bring a 3rd all star

if you keep things consistent:

1. 76ers dont have proven stars. if we apply that to 76ers, then our young core is plenty fine for lebron since we would add PG13 as well.
2. SA loses leverage once lebron and pg13 sign with us. we may not have cap space next year but we can easily trade a couple young guys like randle for draft picks.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

1. 76ers dont have proven stars. if we apply that to 76ers, then our young core is plenty fine for lebron since we would add PG13 as well.
2. SA loses leverage once lebron and pg13 sign with us. we may not have cap space next year but we can easily trade a couple young guys like randle for draft picks.

1. 76ers players might be viewed as better by some due to making and advancing in the playoffs, winning rookie of the year (Simmons), and making the all star game (Embiid). It's subjective and we don't know how Lebron sees it.

2. To keep Randle's rights, we would have to trade Deng, which would require parting with some assets and leave less to send to SAS for Kawhi. SA wouldn't lose leverage because they know Kawhi can't go to Lakers other than a trade or sign with a non-Lakers team (Clippers?) in 2019 as a free agent. Spurs would be able to ask for more from the Lakers since they know the only way he can go there is by trade, hence why they have leverage.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

1. 76ers players might be viewed as better by some due to making and advancing in the playoffs, winning rookie of the year (Simmons), and making the all star game (Embiid). It's subjective and we don't know how Lebron sees it.

2. To keep Randle's rights, we would have to trade Deng, which would require parting with some assets and leave less to send to SAS for Kawhi. SA wouldn't lose leverage because they know Kawhi can't go to Lakers other than a trade or sign with a non-Lakers team (Clippers?) in 2019 as a free agent. Spurs would be able to ask for more from the Lakers since they know the only way he can go there is by trade, hence why they have leverage.

that is what i mean by consistent.
lakers can add lebron + another star. 76ers can only add lebron. star + lakers core > 76ers core,
in 2019, no need to trade for kawhi - we can free up $ by trading some young pieces for picks if needed. bi is not up for fa yet so he would not require large QO etc.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: