2017 NBA Trade Deadline Results: Grade the Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade the Laker moves prior to the deadline
A
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
B
46%
 46%  [ 46 ]
C
22%
 22%  [ 22 ]
D
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
F
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 98

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: 2017 NBA Trade Deadline Results: Grade the Lakers

The NBA Trade deadline has passed. Based on the results what grade would you give the Lakers FO for their efforts?

2017 NBA Trade Deadline: Grades For All 30 Teams
Now that the dust has settled from the 2017 NBA Trade Deadline, it’s time to see where everyone stands.
Here are trade deadline grades for all 30 teams.

http://hoopshabit.com/2017/02/24/2017-nba-trade-deadline-grades-30-teams/
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

C but It would be B if we succeeded to send Nick " making every damn shoot" Young for some tacos.
ratra_1211
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject:

A for me. we got a (bleep) 1st pick for 33-year old(!) lou williams by taking on brewer's contract (which ends after next season) + 22-year old tyler ennis for marcelo (bleep) huertas. could not have asked for more.

though, had we can deal moz or deng, it would be an A+ or S trade deadline. but (bleep) aint happening
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

2017 NBA Trade Deadline Recap

(Note: The Rockets’ acquisition of Lou Williams, which wasn’t made official until today, will be considered a February 23 trade.
Additionally, not all the deals below have been officially finalized yet, so for now our recap is based on what has been reported.)

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/02/2017-nba-trade-deadline-recap.html
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject:

Lou trade: B-/C+

Ennis trade: B
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject:

ratra_1211 wrote:
A for me. we got a (bleep) 1st pick for 33-year old(!) lou williams by taking on brewer's contract (which ends after next season) + 22-year old tyler ennis for marcelo (bleep) huertas. could not have asked for more.

Same for me.

Enhanced the tank.

Flyer on Ennis.

Didn't give up the farm in a deal to bring in vets that would lock us into the 8 seed for the next four years. Playing a longer game on PG is the right move.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

Lou Will is like the guy who make 25k a year leasing a high end BMW for $800 a month.

Will he miss the $800/month BMW? Sure. Could he afford it? Technically yes, but just not the right phase in life to be doing that.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

I'm like a B+

1) Got a first round pick
2) Moved lou which improves the odds of keeping our pick

Those were some of the main things I was hoping the lakers could accomplish

The one that didn't happen was moving swaggy. I actually think he's been really good this year, but for the same reason for trading lue, I think it would improve our odds of keeping the pick. Perhaps there just wasn't a trade because of his option, but I would have thought one of the contending teams would have offered up 2nd round picks. Guess not.

It be great to see a starting line up of

C- Zu
PF - Randle
SF - Ingram
G - JC
G - D lo

It would probably have moments of awesome and a series of disasters, but this year is toast so I'm fine with the trade off if it means seeing some awesome
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lou Will is like the guy who make 25k a year leasing a high end BMW for $800 a month.

Will he miss the $800/month BMW? Sure. Could he afford it? Technically yes, but just not the right phase in life to be doing that.

More like the Lakers are that guy and Lou is the BMW. Spot on.

Lakers need a Panzer for the next two months- not a sports car.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

More like the Lakers are that guy and Lou is the BMW. Spot on.

Lakers need a Panzer for the next two months- not a sports car.

I was basing this off a friend of mine. Has the NICEST BMW ever...but clearly can't afford it. But hey...to each their own!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

I don't consider making the team less capable of winning games a good move, all for the purpose of tanking so we can roll the dice again on another promising rookie. At this stage I'd take ability to draw quality free agents over 'ability' to lose like crazy and get a draft pick.

That said, if development of the young core is the primary goal, losing Williams and Huertas, and getting an aging wing defender, a backup PG and an unprotected first round pick is a pretty decent result, even if that pick is mid-20's. At least now we have a pick in the first round, even if the dice don't roll our direction on lotto day. I'd give it a B.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I don't consider making the team less capable of winning games a good move, all for the purpose of tanking so we can roll the dice again on another promising rookie. At this stage I'd take ability to draw quality free agents over 'ability' to lose like crazy and get a draft pick.

That said, if development of the young core is the primary goal, losing Williams and Huertas, and getting an aging wing defender, a backup PG and an unprotected first round pick is a pretty decent result, even if that pick is mid-20's. At least now we have a pick in the first round, even if the dice don't roll our direction on lotto day. I'd give it a B.

I think they want to maximize exposure/playing time for the young guys. Going into the summer, the FO needs to get a better picture of what the values of DLO/Ingram/Jules/JC will be as the PG13 trade rumors will grow even more.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

I gave them a "B"

Here is my reasoning:
- They did what they had to do in getting rid of Lou Williams for a 1st round pick. Without this move, they would have gotten an "F." This was such a basic and necessary move. Being able to nab a 1st round pick was the ideal situation over an early 2nd. Rumor was that Washington had offered their 1st, even though it was a better pick (early 20's at this point), it came with Andrew Nicholson's 3 year contract. Smart move to take the later pick with Corey Brewer's contract.

- My second reason in giving them a "B" is that they avoided trading away our youth despite many rumors swirling to the contrary. With names like Paul George, Jimmy Butler and Andre Drummond being thrown around, coupled with Magic Johnson taking the reigns, I was on pins-and-needles waiting to see if he was going to shake up this roster just for the sake of shaking it up. With PG-13 claiming he wanted to be a Lakers, there was no reason for us to sell the farm to attain him when we can sign him as a free agent. We are in a great position now to keep our 1st round pick for 2017 and 2019. I'm so relieved that we are standing pat until the season ends!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

There was a lot of PG13 trade foreplay going here. I think Lakers got to 2nd base with PG13 and will set the stage, hopefully, for the Pacers to sell him to us at a discounted price (i.e. ideally not having to trade DLO or Ingram).
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I thought it was a fail overall given the price for Cousins.

How I'd say this, the rest of season should be a test for our Starting Point Guard, if there's not a certain level improvement, you have to move him with Mozgov's contract for a player on a shorter contract/pick in the off season.
A priority for the Lakers has to be to get rid of Mozgov and Deng's contract. One by one is just fine.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Lmao at anyone who voted A.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

B+. we have a guaranteed first rounder now regardless of lottery. Got rid of Lou for an expiring. Brought in a defense guy which is our team weakness. Got ennis who can be at least a serviceable backup guard. Didn't do anything drastic for the sake of making a splash. Can't complain
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Gave them a B. I like doubling down on the youth movement and trading for a first round pick, ensuring we have two picks in the draft no matter what happens, and I thought the Ennis trade could be a smart swap. Wish we could've gotten an additional asset attached with Brewer but it is what it is.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

B+. Lou trade was pretty much a given - got a coveted 1st in a deep draft, and we didn't take back extra salary. I give that one an A-. Minus is only because it's maybe possible that there were marginally better offers from Utah or something like that, but Magic let Lou pick his destination.

Ennis trade was no risk limited reward, give that one a B.

I think we should have tried to unload Nick for another draft pick, but I doubt that there was any market for Nick for a 1st rounder, so I can understand why we didn't move on that front, though it's a tad disappointing. So overall a B.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I give them a B
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I give it a C.

Trading Lou for a low first round pick was an expected, average deal. The Ennis deal was a shrug.

A would have been an unexpected Cousins like deal.
B would have been trading Young for a pick.
D would have been trading Williams for a second round pick.
F would have been doing nothing.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Lmao at anyone who voted A.

yeah, hard to justify an A or an F....could have did better and could have did worse.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
I gave them a "B"

Here is my reasoning:
- They did what they had to do in getting rid of Lou Williams for a 1st round pick. Without this move, they would have gotten an "F." This was such a basic and necessary move. Being able to nab a 1st round pick was the ideal situation over an early 2nd. Rumor was that Washington had offered their 1st, even though it was a better pick (early 20's at this point), it came with Andrew Nicholson's 3 year contract. Smart move to take the later pick with Corey Brewer's contract.

- My second reason in giving them a "B" is that they avoided trading away our youth despite many rumors swirling to the contrary. With names like Paul George, Jimmy Butler and Andre Drummond being thrown around, coupled with Magic Johnson taking the reigns, I was on pins-and-needles waiting to see if he was going to shake up this roster just for the sake of shaking it up. With PG-13 claiming he wanted to be a Lakers, there was no reason for us to sell the farm to attain him when we can sign him as a free agent. We are in a great position now to keep our 1st round pick for 2017 and 2019. I'm so relieved that we are standing pat until the season ends!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

C

Good to get a late first rounder for Lou but the Brewer contract is bad. We should have gotten an ending contract or an additional second rounder to take on the Brewer contract that the Rox were looking to unload.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
B+. we have a guaranteed first rounder now regardless of lottery. Got rid of Lou for an expiring. Brought in a defense guy which is our team weakness. Got ennis who can be at least a serviceable backup guard. Didn't do anything drastic for the sake of making a splash. Can't complain

Brewer is not an expiring.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: