2017 NBA Trade Deadline Results: Grade the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade the Laker moves prior to the deadline
A
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
B
46%
 46%  [ 46 ]
C
22%
 22%  [ 22 ]
D
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
F
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 98

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
There was a lot of PG13 trade foreplay going here. I think Lakers got to 2nd base with PG13 and will set the stage, hopefully, for the Pacers to sell him to us at a discounted price (i.e. ideally not having to trade DLO or Ingram).

Good to not gut our roster for him if what Woj says about PG gunning for LA is true.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Lmao at anyone who voted A.

A or F would be a stretch either way. 🤥
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

C. We didn't do anything great or anything horrible.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

I give them a b+. Got the trade they needed done, slight Ding for the Brewer salary, and a good add on move to pick up a test drive of Ennis. Did not do anything stupid.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I give them a b+. Got the trade they needed done, slight Ding for the Brewer salary, and a good add on move to pick up a test drive of Ennis. Did not do anything stupid.

I mostly agree, but I give them a potential ding also for not moving Swaggy....IF they feel he will opt out and they do not feel strongly about resigning. IF that is the case, get what you can....even if it was only a test drive of K.J. McDaniels or a 2 Round pick. Swaggy could have really helped a few teams like the Pelicans....Houston could always add a shooter, etc.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I'd say a B-.

They traded Huertas and Lou for Brewer, Ennis, and a 1st round pick. Considering neither of the two players we moved had long term value for us, and considering the fact that the market for Lou was very, very limited, I think we got a great deal.

Worst case, we gave up essentially nothing and get a first round pick. Best case, Ennis pans out as a backup PG, Brewer can give us 15 mins of defense a night, and we get a first round pick.

The only reason I say B- is because I would have hoped to get something just a bit better than Brewer, but, again, we weren't exactly negotiating from a position of strength.
TylersLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

It's very clear we're not going to be a player in free agency this year.

Considering that -- A.

I couldn't have asked for more. A flyer on Ennis, a 1st round pick, got rid of Huertas, and added a piece who could be a significant rotation player next year (Brewer).

You're kidding yourself if you were expecting anything more than that.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

I give a C+ / B- to Magic because the Lou Williams trade was going to get done, regardless of who is in charge. This was expected.

To get an A, I would've liked a clearer plan to move salary for the 2018 free agency. They could've done following:

- Trade Calderon's expiring contract for a contract that expires in 2 years to prepare for the 2018 free agency. Possibly picking up a 2nd in the process.

- Trade Nick Young for a second round pick or a contract that expires in 2 years to prepare for the 2018 free agency since he has a player option.

- Trade Deng or Mozgov 4 year contract for a contract that expires earlier. Nikola Pekovic and Rudy Gay would have been good contracts to trade for. Other potential contracts are Rondo, Afflalo, Joe Johnson, Festus Ezeli.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

TylersLakers wrote:
It's very clear we're not going to be a player in free agency this year.

Considering that -- A.

I couldn't have asked for more. A flyer on Ennis, a 1st round pick, got rid of Huertas, and added a piece who could be a significant rotation player next year (Brewer).

You're kidding yourself if you were expecting anything more than that.

Ditto.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
C

Good to get a late first rounder for Lou but the Brewer contract is bad. We should have gotten an ending contract or an additional second rounder to take on the Brewer contract that the Rox were looking to unload.

^^
Coppertop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
I thought it was a fail overall given the price for Cousins.

How I'd say this, the rest of season should be a test for our Starting Point Guard, if there's not a certain level improvement, you have to move him with Mozgov's contract for a player on a shorter contract/pick in the off season.
A priority for the Lakers has to be to get rid of Mozgov and Deng's contract. One by one is just fine.

I totally agree. If the Lakers get a lottery pick this year and can get Fultz/Ball, you package Deangelo with Mozgov for a shorter contract/expiring deal. Or with Deng if someone is really that stupid.

Paul George on his own doesn't make us contenders, and in order to afford him and another top player, gotta clear the books of the last regime's final mistakes.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I'd say a B-.

They traded Huertas and Lou for Brewer, Ennis, and a 1st round pick. Considering neither of the two players we moved had long term value for us, and considering the fact that the market for Lou was very, very limited, I think we got a great deal.

Decent. Not great.

Pau's deal was great. You don't strike these too often.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject:

C.
Got an asset for a player who was occasionally putting up big numbers but not somebody who was our future.
Didn't make a splash by trading our young players for a big name free agent.
Didn't screw up any trades.
So basically we are still a work in progress.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

Lakers officially acquire draft rights to guard Brad Newley as part of Marcelo Huertas and Tyler Ennis trade

A previously unreported part of the deal came to light in the team’s official announcement.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/2/23/14720870/la-lakers-trade-free-agency-draft-rights-brad-newley-australia-tyler-ennis-marcelo-huertas
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I give it a C.

Trading Lou for a low first round pick was an expected, average deal. The Ennis deal was a shrug.

A would have been an unexpected Cousins like deal.
B would have been trading Young for a pick.
D would have been trading Williams for a second round pick.
F would have been doing nothing.

Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

D for the following reasons:

1. Did not move Nick Young.
2. Price of DeMarcus Cousins.
3. Price of Nerlens Noel.

The Lou trade was good imo, but that was the only move we made.

If they moved Young, signed someone from the d league/undrafted, or somehow received another draft pick I would give a B/C.

Had 2 of the previous 3 been completed as part of or along with a blockbuster trade, A!

Unlike before, I'm confident a move will be made if our players are not performing.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lou Will is like the guy who make 25k a year leasing a high end BMW for $800 a month.

Will he miss the $800/month BMW? Sure. Could he afford it? Technically yes, but just not the right phase in life to be doing that.

Young Lou Williams booming out of South Gwinnett with 2 girls is and always been the unguardable, defense shaking, free throw making, no player hating bawse while collecting M's without going to college 🔥🔥🔥
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
D for the following reasons:

1. Did not move Nick Young.
2. Price of DeMarcus Cousins.
3. Price of Nerlens Noel.

The Lou trade was good imo, but that was the only move we made.

If they moved Young, signed someone from the d league/undrafted, or somehow received another draft pick I would give a B/C.

Had 2 of the previous 3 been completed as part of or along with a blockbuster trade, A!

Unlike before, I'm confident a move will be made if our players are not performing.

Yeah, but they thought giving away Young was not best for business because 2nd rounder was not good enough. Also Huertas is gone too so we two player moves. Really the biggest move is the FO moves.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
I give a C+ / B- to Magic because the Lou Williams trade was going to get done, regardless of who is in charge. This was expected.

To get an A, I would've liked a clearer plan to move salary for the 2018 free agency. They could've done following:

- Trade Calderon's expiring contract for a contract that expires in 2 years to prepare for the 2018 free agency. Possibly picking up a 2nd in the process.

- Trade Nick Young for a second round pick or a contract that expires in 2 years to prepare for the 2018 free agency since he has a player option.

- Trade Deng or Mozgov 4 year contract for a contract that expires earlier. Nikola Pekovic and Rudy Gay would have been good contracts to trade for. Other potential contracts are Rondo, Afflalo, Joe Johnson, Festus Ezeli.

Why would you do this when:
- Calderon is an expiring
- Young too is an expiring if he doesn't pick up his player option.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I'm rationalizing the Brewer move as a cap push maneuver and wing depth that allows them to try to move Deng either for a shorter deal for a non-wing or multiple parts that can be handled in such a way that opens up more '18 space. Rubio feels like a decent play as his deal is only three years, his current team probably deals him and Deng/Thibs have history. LA could move Russell to off guard in the starting rotation and let Young go. Still need another guard which could be Ennis or someone else that doesn't hurt a '18 play. Shooting would be putrid but another development year so....
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

rogers49 wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

Why would you do this when:
- Calderon is an expiring
- Young too is an expiring if he doesn't pick up his player option.

You do this because you want to clear cap space for 2018 free agency, not 2017 free agency. It is more difficult to sign players to 1 year deals and signing any long-term deals this offseason would reduce the available cap space in 2018.

By trading 2017 expiring contracts for 2018 expiring contracts, you don't have to worry about signing free agents to 1 year deals and you can possibly pick up additional assets (e.g. 2nd round picks) by taking on the additional year/salary.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: