Mozgov?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject:

We have no SF depth or else Deng would be sitting as well.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

Just think of him as a very expensive waterboy. Other than that, everything is fine.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

Mozgov is fit for a team that is contending and needs a center to play 20-25 mins a game.

Its pointless for the Lakers to play Moz right now when we are trying to tank and develop the youngs.

If by chance next season the Lakers are able to grab a free agent or two to help improve the competiveness of this team MOZ can still be a good starter IMO.

Same said with Deng, although I see him more in the Iguodala role off the bench behind Ingram.

I'm not with a majority of fans who think these are terrible signings. IMO these are good veteran players to put along side a competitive team. We just need our young guys to develop and get better heading into next season.

That being said if they decide to trade or stretch Moz or Deng I understand because of where we are as a team at the moment.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I know it is pointless now.....but our FO took a beating over those poor FA deals, but everyone allows Luke to escape any criticism on it....and he was heavily involved in recruiting Mozgov. There was even speculation he was the driver in encouraging the FO to sign Mozgov.

Luke is the head coach hes not paid to be the GM. It wasnt his decision to make.

I'm not even sure how much he wanted Moz here to me he looked like he was just giving the FO support.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

We drafted a question mark in zu and black was a rfa. We needed a center at that point.

Have any of the 2016 FA centers we had a chance to get played well this year?
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I know it is pointless now.....but our FO took a beating over those poor FA deals, but everyone allows Luke to escape any criticism on it....and he was heavily involved in recruiting Mozgov. There was even speculation he was the driver in encouraging the FO to sign Mozgov.

The coach's job is to try to win. So I think it's justifiable for Luke to want veterans who are known quantities. It's the front office's job to set the course for the organization and they screwed up big time with the Deng and Mozgov signings. Totally indefensible.

Even if Luke wanted them, there's no reason for them to have been signed for 4 years. If they had been on 2 year deals, the Lakers would be in position to be a serious contender after next offseason. The timing would've been perfect before the rookie deals ran out for some of the kids on the team now. What Jim and Mitch did with those two signings was blatant malpractice.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

They overpaid, but I understand the reasoning. They had to replace Hibbert and Mozgov was the best center available. I still think he can be productive off the bench but it's clear that Zubac is already a better player.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

They couldnt wait to get rid of hibberts contract to sign mozgov.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Where's that poster who was defending us signing Mozgov for that big deal because Lebron called him "My brother mozzy"? after we signed him? His "logic" was that the quote showed how much Lebron valued Mozgov, so it had to be a good signing.

Laughable logic.

Everyone was saying how he'd be a great defending big, and work well in the PNR.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, since Jim is now fired from making decisions.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Where's that poster who was defending us signing Mozgov for that big deal because Lebron called him "My brother mozzy"? after we signed him? His "logic" was that the quote showed how much Lebron valued Mozgov, so it had to be a good signing.

Laughable logic.

Everyone was saying how he'd be a great defending big, and work well in the PNR.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, since Jim is now fired from making decisions.

I think he is a good defensive big and also good at PnR...I think its Dangelo who has shown an inability to consistently get into the paint and create easy shots for Mozgov...

As I said earlier Mozgov is a good big for a competitive team that needs a center to play 20-25 mins a game against a Deandre, Cousins type player.

I think Luke and FO thought that this young core would be a a lot better this season and paired along with two vets would be a competitive team in the west. Just didn't work that way..

I just think its unfair to keep bashing Moz and Deng when they are known as role players and not expected to take over an offense. They are meant as quality vets capable of starting alongside a talented young core able to create for themselves.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Who reported that?

As far as recruiting, he made a courtesy phonecall, right? I've never understood how that places him on the same hook.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:

Laughable logic.

I think he is a good defensive big and also good at PnR...I think its Dangelo who has shown an inability to consistently get into the paint and create easy shots for Mozgov...

As I said earlier Mozgov is a good big for a competitive team that needs a center to play 20-25 mins a game against a Deandre, Cousins type player.

I think Luke and FO thought that this young core would be a a lot better this season and paired along with two vets would be a competitive team in the west. Just didn't work that way..

I just think its unfair to keep bashing Moz and Deng when they are known as role players and not expected to take over an offense. They are meant as quality vets capable of starting alongside a talented young core able to create for themselves.
Moz has been worst when he plays without DLO though (57.7% TS% vs 50.3%)
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

Yes i agree. He'd be solid (not good. solid) being on a good team when he doesn't have to do much and can play 10-15 mins every other game in a blowout game so the starters don't have to go back in.

On a bad team, he's worthless. Sad Jim and Mitch couldn't see that. But they are in the rear view mirror now.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Yes i agree. He'd be solid (not good. solid) being on a good team when he doesn't have to do much and can play 10-15 mins every other game in a blowout game so the starters don't have to go back in.

On a bad team, he's worthless. Sad Jim and Mitch couldn't see that. But they are in the rear view mirror now.

Idk about this...I think a lot of us had higher expectations for the young guys coming into this season but so far that hasn't materialized...

I believe they thought with a season or two under there belt that the young guys would be more competitive... thus adding some vets to play alongside them.

If you want to assign some blame somewhere it might be more accurate to question the draft choices...Porzingod was available instead of Russell and a lot of teams were passing on Randle...Jury still out on Ingram...

For sure if we passed on Russell and took kristaps fans would have gone crazy demanding Kupchack and Buss be fired immediately. But as the old saying goes winning Cures everything...

Look at the rockets...They signed Dantoni, Gordon, and Anderson and there fans and a lot of the NBA media where seriously questioning there decisions. But right now they are a darkhorse to compete for a ring.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Who reported that?

As far as recruiting, he made a courtesy phonecall, right? I've never understood how that places him on the same hook.

He actually gushed about him.
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

Gentlemen don't forget Deng will be 32 and Mozgov 31 this spring. Deng also after Thibs regime. They will regress even more. If now they are useless what are you expect in 2 years?
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Stop blaming Luke for Mozgov people. Idgaf if Luke says Moz is the GOAT. He did not sign him. Stop.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

andree wrote:
Gentlemen don't forget Deng will be 32 and Mozgov 31 this spring. Deng also after Thibs regime. They will regress even more. If now they are useless what are you expect in 2 years?

I expect the young core to grow and become more competitive along with deng and Moz being perfect complimentary pieces.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Moz is more useful than his current perception by mos around here. You have to start by forgetting about the contract and just look at him as a roster piece. He's gotten lost out there for a number of reasons but he's still a legit NBA level player. LA is just in player development mode right now.
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
andree wrote:

I expect the young core to grow and become more competitive along with deng and Moz being perfect complimentary pieces.

It's hard for me to imagine Mozgov as a complementary piece when he receive already many DNP's
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

andree wrote:
BobbyB wrote:
andree wrote:

It's hard for me to imagine Mozgov as a complementary piece when he receive already many DNP's

For sure I think the reason he is receiving DNPs is not due to his inability to play but the Lakers wanting to tank and develop young guys and see what they have.

Is it the wrong time for Mozgov to be on this team? Probably...

But next year if our young core does become more competitive and we add a legit starter..Mozgov IMO is a perfect starting center when we match up against bigger teams. pelicans, clippers, san Antonio, Memphis.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Mozgov has use as a guy who can defend big centers and run the pick and roll. He's limited defensively on the perimeter, but so are most big centers, and there's a reason both he and hibbert are better defensively elsewhere.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

He is just not a good fit here.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

16 million for a now third-string Center. Great.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
We drafted a question mark in zu and black was a rfa. We needed a center at that point.

Have any of the 2016 FA centers we had a chance to get played well this year?

Aldrich, Dedmon, Hibbert,, Nene, Reed, Bogut/Monroe all have a higher PER than Mozgov except Bogut and I'm pretty sure Bogut's impact would have gone far beyond #'s on defense and passing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: