Deron Williams to sign with Cavs

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Deron Williams to sign with Cavs

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/02/25/deron-williams-clears-waivers-intends-sign-cavs

I don't understand why the Mavericks just waived him instead of trading him for something.

It's also sort of weird to see how much he's declined at only 32. He was once a top 2 PG along with Chris Paul (same draft class), and some on this board considered him to be better than Paul due to his superior size, shooting, and defense. Now Chris Paul is still a top 10 player and Williams is someone who just got waived by a bad team.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Yep. Williams' career went south when Sloan retired and the Jazz traded him. He had some moments after that, but he never seemed right. Up to that point, I would have taken him over Paul. I've never been clear on whether his decline was mental, physical, or some combination of the two.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Still strange that they didn't trade him for something. Was he on a bad contract? He will obviously return to his Utah form now that he plays for the Cavs...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Also, why the Cavs instead of Golden State? He's playing behind a star PG either way... Maybe he's planning on playing some SG.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yep. Williams' career went south when Sloan retired and the Jazz traded him. He had some moments after that, but he never seemed right. Up to that point, I would have taken him over Paul. I've never been clear on whether his decline was mental, physical, or some combination of the two.

It think it has more to do with injuries and how he got fatter......
I've seen some of his Nets games and he wasn't the same player....less mobile, spot up shooter, could go off on occasion. Age and injuries caught up with him.
Just look at his teammate for example....remember back in the day Boozer used to do quite a bit of damage, now most Laker fans remember him shooting rainbow 18 footers and not much else....

Last edited by lakersken80 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I've seen some of his Nets games and he wasn't the same player....less mobile, spot up shooter, could go off on occasion. Age and injuries caught up with him.

He's not that old even now though. He's been in the league for two fewer years than LeBron and Carmelo and the same amount of time as Chris Paul.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Also, why the Cavs instead of Golden State? He's playing behind a star PG either way... Maybe he's planning on playing some SG.

Because LeBron said they needed a playmaker... the Warriors don't seem to be interested.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

Williams is meh.

The true decision is where Bogut goes.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
Still strange that they didn't trade him for something. Was he on a bad contract? He will obviously return to his Utah form now that he plays for the Cavs...

His salary for this year was 9 million. No team was going to want to take that on, and match salaries.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Just look at his teammate for example....remember back in the day Boozer used to do quite a bit of damage, now most Laker fans remember him shooting rainbow 18 footers and not much else....

But Deron Williams never had any major injury of which I'm aware. He had some minor stuff here and there, but he always played 60+ games (except for the lockout season). I just don't get it. He gained weight and declined rapidly as a player. It has to be mental. I guess he got his big contract and became a paycheck guy.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

But Deron Williams never had any major injury of which I'm aware. He had some minor stuff here and there, but he always played 60+ games (except for the lockout season). I just don't get it. He gained weight and declined rapidly as a player. It has to be mental. I guess he got his big contract and became a paycheck guy.

His ankles did him in.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Williams is meh.

He's expected to sign with the Cavs.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Williams is meh.

He's not "meh" for a backup PG behind Kyrie. Basically a 13/6 player that can hit the 3.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Idk about that even. They still are waiting for JR to come back
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Deron Williams to sign with Cavs

CandyCanes wrote:
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/02/25/deron-williams-clears-waivers-intends-sign-cavs

I don't understand why the Mavericks just waived him instead of trading him for something.

It's also sort of weird to see how much he's declined at only 32. He was once a top 2 PG along with Chris Paul (same draft class), and some on this board considered him to be better than Paul due to his superior size, shooting, and defense. Now Chris Paul is still a top 10 player and Williams is someone who just got waived by a bad team.

Nothing to understand, no one wanted to give anything for him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: