Rolex Purchase advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Rolex Purchase advice

Any thoughts on the Green Submariner Date (the hulk)? Just want to know if that particular model will hold its value well. And if anyone knows and reputable dealers that sells new/used, that will be great!

Also, should I buy used/new?

This is for my dad for now (targeting to purchase by Dec 2017 for his bday) but also for me when you know, time passes....

Thanks for the help. I browsed the Rolex forums but would like opinions from the common man, not watch snobs
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

<<<<<DELETED BY JODEKE>>>>>

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Rolex LINK Buy a knock off but not for your dad, for yourself. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I would look for a used 40m sea dweller. Great watch. They hold value. Love mine. Bought the 44m deep sea a couple years ago. Love it but it is a big piece. Much heavier feeling than my pam. I splurge on watches. The mechanics of a traditional watch are far more impressive than any smart watch
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Buy a used one. Not worth paying the premium for a new one.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject:

People still buy Rolex watches?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:

You mean because everyone has a smartphone or in lieu of other high end brands? I looked for a min or two, but the only reference I could find listed sales and market share by group, meaning Rolex & Tudor vs Swatch Group that has three tiers of brands ranging from Breguet/Blancpain/Omega to Swatches.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

Just my opinion, the green subs are ugly. If you're going to get a sub get the black one with the ceramic bezel, you can never go wrong with the classic black. Make sure it's the newer model with the updated glide lock clasp and buy pre owned if you can find a reputable dealer it will save you a couple grand. As for holding its value, keep in mind that reselling a green or blue dial Rolex is more difficult. If this is a starter Rolex stick to classic black.

Also, if your dad is a techie and you really want to get him a green Rolex look at the Milgaus it's very nice.

Also, if you want to go for a classic sub look check out the Tudor Black Bay Heritage. Tudor is the sister brand of Rolex and they are also very, very nice.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Never, ever, ever do this. Anyone who has ever owned a real Rolex can spot one of these fakes a mile away.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Never, ever, ever do this. Anyone who has ever owned a real Rolex can spot one of these fakes a mile away.

Know how you spot the fake? He's wearing a Rolex (real or knockoff).
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

Complete nonsense.

A bad fake can be spotted quite easily.

The best ones need to be held and examined by someone who really knows Rolex.

The ones that are easiest to spot are chronometers, the Daytonas No one makes generic mechanical movements with the subdials in the same areas as does Rolex.

Any fake Rolex that is gold plated will eventually scratch, even with the thickest of plating using the most modern techniques. That is obvious from a mile away.

A classic stainless steel black submariner without any of the modern anti-counterfeit measures like laser etching on the crystal are quite easy to fake.

The ones in the link appear to be somewhere in the middle not the worst but no where near the best. And no, you don't need to spend over $1k to get a convincing fake.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

Complete nonsense.

A bad fake can be spotted quite easily.

The best ones need to be held and examined by someone who really knows Rolex.

The ones that are easiest to spot are chronometers, the Daytonas No one makes generic mechanical movements with the subdials in the same areas as does Rolex.

Any fake Rolex that is gold plated will eventually scratch, even with the thickest of plating using the most modern techniques. That is obvious from a mile away.

A classic stainless steel black submariner without any of the modern anti-counterfeit measures like laser etching on the crystal are quite easy to fake.

The ones in the link appear to be somewhere in the middle not the worst but no where near the best. And no, you don't need to spend over $1k to get a convincing fake.

Nope. The cases are too thick, the finish is off, the dials and hands are off, the crystals and cyclops eye are too thin, the Rolex font is wrong. Like I said. Anyone who owns a genuine Rolex can spot a fake (even a good one) a mile away. And anyone who says that they can't tell between a fake and a genuine either knows very little about watches are has never owned a genuine Rolex.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I heard a tale once of some young men from Mexico who posed for photos wearing fake Rolexes. Someone from their hometown saw the photos and kidnapped and killed someone from their family in a botched ransom.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Damn did I put my foot in it this time!!! I posted the fake Rollies link as a afterthought. 15's not getting much for his query. Anyone have any input for his OP?

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Nope. The cases are too thick, the finish is off, the dials and hands are off, the crystals and cyclops eye are too thin, the Rolex font is wrong. Like I said. Anyone who owns a genuine Rolex can spot a fake (even a good one) a mile away. And anyone who says that they can't tell between a fake and a genuine either knows very little about watches are has never owned a genuine Rolex.

This is what's known as the Toupée fallacy.

Anyway, I own and appreciate nice watches (usually Cartier myself), and my everyday watch is a Tank I've owned for about 30 years. I appreciate the quality of engineering and permanence of them. I was never a huge fan of Rolex, partly because of the status-symbol aspects (as evidenced by the prevalence of fakery). That said, I'm starting to soften on the idea of a stainless, black Submariner, and have looked at them a couple times recently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Conker wrote:

You mean because everyone has a smartphone or in lieu of other high end brands? I looked for a min or two, but the only reference I could find listed sales and market share by group, meaning Rolex & Tudor vs Swatch Group that has three tiers of brands ranging from Breguet/Blancpain/Omega to Swatches.

Craftsmanship, precision engineering, and an item that holds its value relatively well are reasons why people still buy a quality watch. Also smartwatches while they are cool because they offer the latest techie features depreciate pretty quick as soon as the next model comes out.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Buying a Rolex Submariner is like buying a Mercedes when you live in SE Ventura County...everyone has one.

That said, it's the status quo of the nouveau riche so whatever floats your boat. You could go with an Omega Seamaster (Planet Ocean) to be a bit different or if functionality/quality on a budget is your thing you could go with a Seiko diver.

Tend not to go used on watches, but if you want to make sure you get it appraised for damage/quality.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm a poor man. I have a Wittnauer Inexpensive and functional. Had it forever.

Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Conker wrote:

You mean because everyone has a smartphone or in lieu of other high end brands?
As in 'everyone has a smartphone' or something that tells time. Kinda absurd to drop couple of thousand dollars on a watch that makes you a target for robbery.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the responses so far guys, but looks like there is no consensus yet...besides the fact that i should get a used one

fake is not an option. would like to get a real one. i do have lots of time to decide tho on the particular model, and to save up.

i didnt know the green dial was harder to resell. i think he will be fine with the black one.

any thoughts on the blue dial (custom) with SS band?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

This is what's known as the Toupée fallacy.

Anyway, I own and appreciate nice watches (usually Cartier myself), and my everyday watch is a Tank I've owned for about 30 years. I appreciate the quality of engineering and permanence of them. I was never a huge fan of Rolex, partly because of the status-symbol aspects (as evidenced by the prevalence of fakery). That said, I'm starting to soften on the idea of a stainless, black Submariner, and have looked at them a couple times recently.

I've had mine for over 20 years. Can't go wrong with that one.
But I have my eye on a gold with black now.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
thanks for the responses so far guys, but looks like there is no consensus yet...besides the fact that i should get a used one

fake is not an option. would like to get a real one. i do have lots of time to decide tho on the particular model, and to save up.

i didnt know the green dial was harder to resell. i think he will be fine with the black one.

No, don't get a fake one. The point is that you are honoring your father, and a fake denigrates your relationship.

I'm not a fan of Rolex, but I do like the Submariner as it has prestige and utility. Daytonas are nice, but what's the purpose? We no longer time long-distance phone calls to the tenth or hundredth of a second. If daddy-dearest dives, snorkels, surfs or forgets to take his watch off in the hot tub, it has utility. It is the one Rolex watch I'd consider adding (in solid gold, with a blue dial).

Get a used one, but only if it is from a reputable dealer. Forget the crap on eBay from fringe sellers, or a craigslist.com special. Make sure there's a return policy and original papers, and get it authenticated from a third-party. I once bought a piece of "Cartier" jewelry from a somewhat respected jeweler, had it appraised, and it turned out to be a fake. Fortunately I got my money back, but that was because I put it the return policy in writing.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:

To touch on the colored dials, imagine it as a custom motorcycle. It might be the greatest thing to the person who loves blue or green, however it's custom for a reason. It's to that specific taste. Therefore it's harder to sell because it's harder to find someone else who shares that specific taste. A blue dial isn't more "rare" nor is it less valuable, it's just blue for the people who like blue watches. So if you like blue or green, go for it!

Which leads me to pre owned, a modified Rolex is worth far less than a stock Rolex for the same reason as above. If your buying pre owned it's important to make sure that the dial, hands, band, case, case back, etc are all original to the watch, all the serial numbers have to match on all the parts. Common sense would dictate that a Rolex with rubies added to the minute markers would be worth more, however it's not, the value once modified is highly diminished.

If you buy a "custom" Rolex be very, very careful as 1) the warranty is voided unless it was done in the Rolex factory and really, you only want it opened or worked on by Rolex anyhow. 2) there are possibly non OEM parts on the watch and 3) know that unless you have all the original parts it's basically unsellable as a collectable.

I own 2 of them. One that I inherited, it's a 1960's Submariner with a red and blue bezel, completely original. I haven't worn it in 15 years but send I in to be serviced every few years. It was a 500 dollar watch new, it's worth close to 8k now. About 10 years ago I bought a Deep Sea Sea Dweller ( basically a larger submariner without the date cyclops) It has the black dial and black bezel on stainless steel. It's timeless and my daily desk diver, can be worn with a suit or shorts and a t-shirt. Personally, I like the versatility of the black dial/bezel.

Good luck on your search!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

If you're buying used, is there a way to authenticate it? I used to collect sports cards and there are services that will authenticate cards etc.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
If you're buying used, is there a way to authenticate it?

Yes. Send a picture of it to lakerjoshua.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: