Rate These Actresses from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Rate These Actresses from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

Kathy Bates
Glenn Close
Dame Judi Dench
Sally Field
Whoopi Goldberg
Holly Hunter
Jessica Lange
Meryl Streep
Hilary Swank
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

Not the nine I would have chosen, but, first to last:

Streep
Dench
Bates
Close
Hunter
Lange
Swank
Goldberg
Field
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Streep
Dench
Bates
Close
Hunter
Lange
Swank
Goldberg
Field

I just picked random accomplished actresses. This isn't based on thinking that these are the best nine of all-time.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject:

All Last, IMO...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rate These Actresses from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

Black20Ice wrote:
Kathy Bates
Glenn Close
Dame Judi Dench
Sally Field
Whoopi Goldberg
Holly Hunter
Jessica Lange
Meryl Streep
Hilary Swank

Streep
Close
Bates
Swank
Goldberg, Field, Hunter
Lange
Dench

Dench I don't know well enough. Lange is a good at doing an angry as F woman. All of them good actors, but there's a little bias w/ a few. Sally Field is good and mildly annoying. But I like her, I really, really like her, don't get me wrong. It's the characters they play sometimes. I thought she was perfect for Mary Todd Lincoln, but the character called for being mildly offputting in order to intimate the "crazy" accusations surrounding MT. Mary had a hard life indeed, but how do you intimate such a thing w/o specifically mentioning it? Have her be offputting. They did the same w/ multiple notions about Abe, i.e. that he was already dying of a disease and that he was gay. Grant told him he had aged 10 yrs in a year and Abe stated, "Some weariness has bit at my bones,'. Re: gay, he lied down w/ a young, male WH staffer. Another was hinting at the notion that Lincoln had black ancestry w/ the black soldier commenting on his stringy hair at the outset. They got all 3 of those common conceptions done w/ quick finesse. Glenn Close is a good one. Fatal Attraction is her most notable work, imo, but in that, she was a viper. Made every man in those audiences gulp a few times when Dan started trying to ig-NOOOORE her. She was the real deal.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rate These Actresses from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

Black20Ice wrote:
Kathy Bates
Glenn Close
Dame Judi Dench
Sally Field
Whoopi Goldberg
Holly Hunter
Jessica Lange
Meryl Streep
Hilary Swank

Streep gets the top spot from me. After that I have to go with Kathy Bates in second position. Then it's probably Glenn Close, who certainly should have won an Oscar by now (she's the female version of Peter O'Toole); I think of the vast difference in her roles in Fatal Attraction and The Natural as examples of her talent. I have to go with the Dame next, and after that, it's Sally Field for me. She has certain facial expressions that remind me of my mother, so perhaps I'm biased. I just think she has a certain likeability, and my favorite role of hers is actually the aging soap star in Soapdish. (Field, Kevin Kline, Whoopi, Robert Downey Jr, Elisabeth Shue, Cathy Moriarty, Teri Hatcher...quite a cast, and it's deliciously funny.)

Moving on, not sure how I'd rank the rest. I kind of see Jessica Lange in a similar light as Daniel Day-Lewis. She's a genuine talent, and I really liked her roles in earlier seasons of American Horror Story on television, but I feel like she can be overwrought and too over-the-top. Whoopi hasn't been a serious working actress in forever, but she was truly wonderful way back when in The Color Purple and was certainly funny and charming in Ghost. Holly Hunter showed that she could really add something to a part that could've been blase in The Firm, and I think that was a year where she received both Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress nominations at the Oscars. As for Swank, she'll always be the one I remember for beating Annette Bening twice for Best Actress in races that were both considered close.

Speaking of that, I'd have Bening quite high on a personal rankings list for my favorite actresses. Along with her would be the likes of Jodie Foster, Angela Bassett, Sandra Bullock, Helen Mirren, Kate Winslet, Amy Adams, Julia Roberts, Viola Davis, and Diane Lane.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Streep
Dench
Bates
Close
Hunter
Lange
Swank
Goldberg
Field

I would have to swap Dench and Streep and Swank for Lange for "Preference." The rest looks about right.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Re: Color Purple, Whoopi and Oprah both gave fine performances with a lot of intimacy, suffering, quiet nuance, etc. Spielberg wasn't the director to depict the sexual grittiness of the book, so that movie got derided unfairly and he was upset and he didn't win an Oscar until he made it undeniable. It's not that he would've ever screwed up a movie about the Holocaust, but the Academy wasn't going to have the nerve to stand him up again with THAT topic. Oprah was a natural actor. Wonder what she would've done had that been her only career.

Tbh, I don't know if Whoopi G has ever been in anything else serious. I've never seen "Eddie" or "Burglar" and don't wanna. So, I don't know about her inclusion in a list next to Streep and such. Purple is the only movie of hers I've ever seen that showed her depth. The one where she was a musical nun? No. Don't gimme that.

Oh, wait, "Ghost". Still, the interactions w/ Swayze and Dead Swayze were mostly silly. That's more of a young chic drama, not an actual one. Swayze dying young was a bummer. Whenever you're seen as a gracious and generous person to others in Hollywood, yer gonna die young. Actors need to read about Swayze, Ritter, Gandolfini, etc, and learn to be misanthropic bastards.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Streep
Dench
Bates
Close
Hunter
Lange
Swank
Goldberg
Field

About where I have it except I have hunter at the top, not due to talent but because for some reason, I have had a massive crush on her for years. That perky little voice of hers just does me in. Streep of course is just another level in terms of can do anything.

Btw, great job of coming up with quirky lists. Makes you think more than just the obvious top names.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Streep
Dench
Bates
Close
Hunter
Lange
Swank
Goldberg
Field

About where I have it except I have hunter at the top, not due to talent but because for some reason, I have had a massive crush on her for years. That perky little voice of hers just does me in. Streep of course is just another level in terms of can do anything.

Btw, great job of coming up with quirky lists. Makes you think more than just the obvious top names.

You ever see that movie she's in called "Home For The Holidays"? 1995. It was Robert Downey, Jr's comeback movie after he was found doped up sleeping in some house he managed to get into. He was lucky he didn't get shot. I actually saw that one at the theater and it was a full Xmastime crowd and they clapped at the end. Only other flick I've been to where the crowd applauded at all besides Predator 1 in opening week. And it wasn't as intense, but it did happen.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rate These Actresses from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

ChickenStu wrote:
, it's Sally Field for me. She has certain facial expressions that remind me of my mother, so perhaps I'm biased.

I got that w/ Mary Tyler Moore. My mom in her youth was reminiscent of Mary Tyler Moore and/or Elizabeth Montgomery. She was in a beauty pageant or two in her day. Back in the 60s, people told her she looked like both, but the thing is, she actually did. I see it every time I see either of those two, especially when they were in their mid 30s because my frame of reference of Mom begins there. With Liz, it's her eyes and squinting. My mom did that because she didn't want to wear glasses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: