DEFENSE, Defense & defense!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: DEFENSE, Defense & defense!

R U KIDDING ME with this team? It doesn't matter who has coached this team since Mike Brown was hired 4 coaches later this team refuses to play defense!

I know we have young kids, they have NO PROBLEM shooting or playing offense, but if each guy wants to play, win & get better as a team to MAKE the PLAYOFFS, these kids are gonna have to play DEFENSE!

I love Luke as our coach & I know we're not going anywhere next year also, the biggest issue I have is these kids EFFORTS of playing defense. Dlo is the biggest culprit of not even trying (yeah Nick is worst but he is a goner), I'm not sure of the message Luke is sending to these kids regarding this issue, cause if ya don't play "D" ya not going anywhere near .500 ball.

So if they get another PG they don't need in Ball or whoever, next year they need to stop the losing & "D" up! Just take a look at the other teams FG & 3 PT PCT. each game it's PATHETIC & SICKENING! Russell needs to grow up maturity wise & stop going through the motions cause he could be the odd man out if he doesn't start taking the game more serious & he's the guy I like the most out of all the kids, but I'm getting sick of this teams lackadaisical effort on defensive end of court!!! Zubac & Nance try the most but com'on ya don't improve & make playoffs until this changes!!! Paul George, Westbrook play defense so who's gonna get trade for someone who plays defense & is dominating???

Rant over!
HC: Riley
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Corey Brewer is probably the only person on this team that knows anything about that word.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

I would point at Randle before anyone else.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

Can't be a leader of a good team if you never play defense
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

It's really frustrating to watch them right now.

I hope that Luke can hire a good defensive assistant for next year. We'll never make the leap if we can't play defense for 48 minutes.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

I hope that Luke can hire a good defensive assistant for next year. We'll never make the leap if we can't play defense for 48 minutes.
FACT!!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers hate me

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

2nd half was bad but in the 1st half, they got dominated by size/ length and by Kawhi just being deadeye. I can live with that tbh
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

agree... but also, the best defensive personnel the team has is larry nance jr and luol deng. maybe corey brewer?

the coaching hopefully improves but also we don't have the players to do this thing right either.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
The Lakers hate me

you aint sexy enough fam

you need a rebrand instead of being called "dirty work" all the time

its unflattering
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Just to reiterate what I've been saying in the defensive rankings thread: they don't have the personnel to defend... yet. Gotta acquire some new pups. I'd start with giving Nwaba a 10-day.

GSW, OKC comps never make sense from a defensive standpoint. Forget to mention the important defensive backbones of the team - Ibaka, Thabo, Bogut, Collison, Igoudala, Livingston, etc, etc. OKC jumped like 10 slots in defensive efficiency when they added guys like Ibaka, Thabo. GSW jumped to #1 with additions of Bogut, Ezeli, Iguodala.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I can't see why we can't play defense? We do have some length and athleticism on this team. THey just need someone to teach them better defensive principles and team help of course.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Nerlens Noel, An All defensive caliber player, just went for a fringe prospect and 2 2nd round picks. Blame the Mozgov contract for handcuffing the Lakers opportunities
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Tank mode defensive schemes + rookie and 2nd year players = usually bad defense against the 2nd best team in entire NBA LOL.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Practice wrote:

Can't be a leader of a good team if you never play defense

Bull (bleep). The current president of the team was a, let's call it lacking, defender and he's probably the best to ever do it at his position.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

A majority of our players don't have any defensive instincts whatsoever. Nance being the exception.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
danzag wrote:

agree... but also, the best defensive personnel the team has is larry nance jr and luol deng. maybe corey brewer?

the coaching hopefully improves but also we don't have the players to do this thing right either.

Guys who either went 4 years in college or have a long NBA career. The young players have some tools to play solid defense, they just need to learn the process and learn to think two moves ahead. That will take time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Nerlens Noel, An All defensive caliber player, just went for a fringe prospect and 2 2nd round picks. Blame the Mozgov contract for handcuffing the Lakers opportunities

Only Mozgov's contract had nothing to do with it. We have two second rounders, the FO just decided they didn't want to go after Noel.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Only Mozgov's contract had nothing to do with it. We have two second rounders, the FO just decided they didn't want to go after Noel.

You think the Lakers would want to pay Noel 16-20M with Mozgov already on the books and wanting to keep a max slot open for 2018? Of course not.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

You're only as good as your weakest link on defense... and right now, we have 3 out of the 5 players on the floor being a weak link.

That said, i just think our defensive coaching has been awful from MDA to Scott and now Walton. The best out of those 3 is clearly MDA by the way... that should tell you something.

Bad defensive players with coaching that doesn't emphasize defense = the trainwreck that is our current Lakers on defense.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
You're only as good as your weakest link on defense... and right now, we have 3 out of the 5 players on the floor being a weak link.

That said, i just think our defensive coaching has been awful from MDA to Scott and now Walton. The best out of those 3 is clearly MDA by the way... that should tell you something.

Bad defensive players with coaching that doesn't emphasize defense = the trainwreck that is our current Lakers on defense.

Hopefully we add a real defensive assistant this summer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

You think the Lakers would want to pay Noel 16-20M with Mozgov already on the books and wanting to keep a max slot open for 2018? Of course not.

I know they wouldn't need to keep Mozgov on the books.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
2nd half was bad but in the 1st half, they got dominated by size/ length and by Kawhi just being deadeye. I can live with that tbh
people just say "play defense" not realizing we're out/over matched when we play certain teams. the spurs for one. the only way we could beat the spurs. is if guys were out hurt and we were fire hot. we need those two things to happen in order to beat a team thats this big and this good.

randle is a midget vs gasol/lamarcus
so is trob. so is Tblack. the only big we have thats a kid playing is big Z. big Z is a slow/unathletic big that is a kid. of course aldridge and gasol would school him all day everyday. at least for the first few years of his career.

now that means we have to double those guys. if we do that who's guarding KL? oh our other super thin kid. getting man handled by KL> ran thru screens. etc.

so who's going to guard parker and patty mills? running thru real big man screen after real big man screen. if we sag to help the bigs. we get lit up. since mills and tp dont miss open shots. they're both vets.

if we trap the smalls. back down to the bigs for an easy deuce. lose lose. we have to get better smarter, stronger. but the lakers also need a tall 7 foot athletic big that is smart.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I know they wouldn't need to keep Mozgov on the books.

You have a magically way of making Mozgov's k completely disappear?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

honestly, I am really high on Noel...and would have liked to get him....but a big part of me has to consider why did 28 other NBA teams allow him to go for so little?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: