View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

Time will tell but I wouldn't count on it. I think the majority of the other nominated films will hold up better over time. But Hollywood gets to call themselves heroes for the choice and that is all that matters.

It's a shame you see that movie through such a cynical lens.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

Time will tell but I wouldn't count on it. I think the majority of the other nominated films will hold up better over time. But Hollywood gets to call themselves heroes for the choice and that is all that matters.

I liked it, but it had flaws.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

I didn't think it was flawless, and it's cool if you had another preference. I just don't think people voted for it so they could call themselves heroes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Somewhere Steve Harvey is smiling.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

I didn't think it was flawless, and it's cool if you had another preference. I just don't think people voted for it so they could call themselves heroes.

Art is subjective so I am perfectly okay with whatever decision the voters decide on, but politics does play a part and making the politically correct choice can be personally very rewarding. Time will tell whether it was a great movie or just a great cause.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

Art is subjective so I am perfectly okay with whatever decision the voters decide on, but politics does play a part and making the politically correct choice can be personally very rewarding. Time will tell whether it was a great movie or just a great cause.

The error in your thinking is you watched that movie and saw a cause.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

I think errors by the filmmaker made me see the movie that way. The story/ideas were the best thing about the film but his execution of the middle stanza took me out of the emotionally compelling narrative and deposited me in a made for TV after school special. The 3rd act redeemed the film though.

Hell or High Water handled a social cause much more deftly.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

As long as "La La Land" didn't win, I, too, was happy. It was the "Birdman" of 2016, which is to say, overrated.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

I think one would be mistaken if one didn't think the backlash from last year's whitewashed awards didn't have some impact of the voting for Moonlight - not that the film wasn't deserving.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

I think one would be mistaken if one didn't think the backlash from last year's whitewashed awards didn't have some impact of the voting for Moonlight.

Eh. The giant influx of new members probably had more to do with it. I think if Moonlight came out last year it still wins.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Somewhere Steve Harvey is smiling.

He'll be presenting best picture next year....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

I think one would be mistaken if one didn't think the backlash from last year's whitewashed awards didn't have some impact of the voting for Moonlight.

Eh. The giant influx of new members probably had more to do with it. I think if Moonlight came out last year it still wins.

It's certainly better than Spotlight.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

*Nods vigorously*
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:
OCWA wrote:
ocho wrote:

Also the best movie won.

*Nods vigorously*

Something we can all agree on.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Reminded me of the old legend that Marisa Tomei wasn't the true winner of Best Supporting Actress.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Reminded me of the old legend that Marisa Tomei wasn't the true winner of Best Supporting Actress.

Yeah, she's the one smiling. For years people have been perpetrating that myth when there were people and a procedure in place to stop the show and make sure the right people got the award. Now, we have a concrete example she can point to and hopefully shut people up.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Backlash has been mentioned. Do any think that had anything to to with

'O.J.: Made In America' wins best documentary feature Oscar

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Backlash has been mentioned. Do any think that had anything to to with

'O.J.: Made In America' wins best documentary feature Oscar

LINK

No. It was an amazing documentary.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: