Lamar Odom has the best basketball mind on the Lakers....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
Lamar's mistake was that he didn't make the layup. Geezuz...

I'll blame Kobe for not making that last 3 to win the game. Senseless.

:roll: Kobe doesn't have establish anything. He's proven. He's been there, and he's done that. He can miss 25 consecutive gamewinners and still get the ball without hesitation to go for 26.

But Lamar is different. He needs to establish himself as reliable in crunchtime. He's gotta push through whatever it is that makes him freeze up in the brain.

We're talking about building trust and confidence when the game is on the line. Trusting Kobe in the crunch will never be an issue with this team. I don't care if he shoots 0-35. But if Lamar is ever to take his rightful place on this team, he has got to prove to the team, prove to Kobe, that he can be counted on to do the right things and make the right decisions when it counts.

How about the team play better team defense all around and not allow 100+ pts to scrub teams?

That's the bottom line between all the W and L's we've endured. Not one play or two plays down the stretch. Consistency on defense leads to W's. If we were built like PHX we could think about outscoring teams, launching 25+ 3's a game, but we obviously aren't. We're a very young team built around one talented individual. I can excuse mental mistakes down the stretch. I can't excuse lack of defensive intensity for long stretches throughout a game from a young team.

You know what?? This game did come down to 1 or 2 plays. Every game is not gonna be played solid, especially with this collection of HOF talent :roll: . So when you got a game in control, you have to be able to execute down the stretch in order to secure that victory.

Games are won or lost in the last minute all the time. Sure, you can go back throughout the other 47 minutes, but in that last minute, none of that matters. You have to make the plays that get your team the W. You think when Sacramento looks back on the game 4 against the Lakers, they think about the 20 point lead they had after the first quarter?? No. The same broken record replays over and over in their heads...

VladetoHorryforThree. Game over.
GMWEST
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject:

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
GMWEST wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
GMWEST wrote:
Jimmy Lamar Ronnie

dont forget the devil of the devils: Mitch

As far as I've heard Mitch isn't in this club.

Maybe I missed the whole devil thing, but why Jimmy there?

It's Jimmy Buss's secret club membership.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
Lamar's mistake was that he didn't make the layup. Geezuz...

I'll blame Kobe for not making that last 3 to win the game. Senseless.

:roll: Kobe doesn't have establish anything. He's proven. He's been there, and he's done that. He can miss 25 consecutive gamewinners and still get the ball without hesitation to go for 26.

But Lamar is different. He needs to establish himself as reliable in crunchtime. He's gotta push through whatever it is that makes him freeze up in the brain.

We're talking about building trust and confidence when the game is on the line. Trusting Kobe in the crunch will never be an issue with this team. I don't care if he shoots 0-35. But if Lamar is ever to take his rightful place on this team, he has got to prove to the team, prove to Kobe, that he can be counted on to do the right things and make the right decisions when it counts.

How about the team play better team defense all around and not allow 100+ pts to scrub teams?

That's the bottom line between all the W and L's we've endured. Not one play or two plays down the stretch. Consistency on defense leads to W's. If we were built like PHX we could think about outscoring teams, launching 25+ 3's a game, but we obviously aren't. We're a very young team built around one talented individual. I can excuse mental mistakes down the stretch. I can't excuse lack of defensive intensity for long stretches throughout a game from a young team.

You know what?? This game did come down to 1 or 2 plays. Every game is not gonna be played solid, especially with this collection of HOF talent :roll: . So when you got a game in control, you have to be able to execute down the stretch in order to secure that victory.

Games are won or lost in the last minute all the time. Sure, you can go back throughout the other 47 minutes, but in that last minute, none of that matters. You have to make the plays that get your team the W. You think when Sacramento looks back on the game 4 against the Lakers, they think about the 20 point lead they had after the first quarter?? No. The same broken record replays over and over in their heads...

VladetoHorryforThree. Game over.

It doesn't matter! We gave up 100+ pts to another bad offensive team. In the end you won't win games period if you play defense like this. The only game we've won in the past 7 or so was a game where we concentrated on defense. The result? A blowout! Wow! Imagine that! Why should a game come down to 1 or 2 possessions when it could be out of reach from playing a solid 48 mins around the board on defense!

Surprisingly the only team that buys into this concept is also the the best team in the league. We are where we are because in the W's we've played inspired defense. Most of our losses have been pinned solely on us giving up a boatload of points to teams that have no business putting up that many.
lakerfin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
lakerfin wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Lamar has tremendous will...he wills the Lakers to losses even when it looks darn near impossible to lose. What a man.

Hilarious!!!!!!! and true. It may just be a biblical thing. No x-clipper shall ever prosper as a Laker.

Ron Harper

got me there. Guess there's always an exception.
Shouldn't you be in bed by now?
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject:

Why didn't Mitch trade Lamar Odom for Ron Artest and Croshere? WHY!!!!???? Croshere would be a nice shooter for Kobe, and Artest is just plain and simple a BEAST on defense. If we need an initator, hell just play Luke WALTON! but at the same time I don't think Artest would've made all these stupid mistakes. WHAT THE (bleep)! WHAT THE (bleep)!???? Artest could've grasped the triangle, or at least if he didn't he'd be off the books in 07 and so would Croshere which would leave plenty of cap space. NOW We're (bleep) with LAMAR's contract at 10+ million a season.

WHAT THE (bleep)!??? i say...WHAT THE (bleep)!??
GMWEST
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
People are so fixated on this mystical creature called a 2nd option just because we've had the fat Shaq for so long.

It is not apparent to some of you folks that we're suffering on defense in these recent losses? Our team defense has disappeared since December. It made a nice return against Houston the other night, but that was short lived.

You can have Kobe and Pierce score 40 a piece every night, and put up 110 pts, but we're going to still lose when we give up 112 to the opp.

IT IS THE DEFENSE,

The problem arises when:

Your best defensive player has to save energy to score on offense.

Get him a second option that can score and defend, then you have your best defender to play defense.

If the 2nd OPTION, can score and defend, then he also will be able to save energy for defense.

That leads us to LO, if he can just defend and rebound, that is where he is comfortable at, he doesn't have to be an option on offense.

Now, the biggest problem is the point and getting the bigs in foul trouble. Smush doesn't have to worry about scoring 20 and his job is to lock down the other point guard or he sits his butt on the bench. Trust me, when Smush understands there is no excuses, ( he likes his paycheck ) He will start defending better.

ALL OF THIS WITH A SECOND OPTION THAT CAN DEFEND !!!! WOW !!!!

Now do you understand about the second option or do you have more complaining to do? If they just focus on defense, thier offense would suffer. Excuses I know, but the Lakers need to eliminate excuses and a second scoring option does that. If he DEFENDS.
shiznak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject:

critical_beatdown wrote:
shiznak wrote:
critical_beatdown wrote:
I'm sorry...y'all just don't know basketball. With a 2 point lead you play to win, not dance around passing the ball around, especially when the other team is guaranteed another shot. If they leave Lamar open for a drive, he's got to take it. Even if he misses, they come down and score a bucket and we still have an opportunity to win. It was the foul on Gasol on the other end that f'd things up. I was watching the game downtown, so didn't know who got the foul, but if it was Lamar, I accept giving him more blame. But going for a wide open opportunity with a 2 point lead on a 2 for 1 opportunity with 30 seconds left is not stupid basketball. It's just not. Y'all can argue until you're blue in the face, but the only stupid thing (aside from Smush's foul) was giving Gasol a 3-point opportunity on the next play.

Please, stop. You are killing me.

Whatever...that's truth. Noone downtown had any impression that Lamar lost the game for us...just the fools who always obsessively focus on him on the Internet. Try going out once in awhile...

I mean it. Please stop. My sides are hurting.
Chris Mihm - "...the reason he's been forced to take as many shots as he has is because our offense tends to stagnate and then we just have a tendency to throw him the ball. When we don't keep moving, then he's kind of forced to get something up."
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject:

GMWEST wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
People are so fixated on this mystical creature called a 2nd option just because we've had the fat Shaq for so long.

It is not apparent to some of you folks that we're suffering on defense in these recent losses? Our team defense has disappeared since December. It made a nice return against Houston the other night, but that was short lived.

You can have Kobe and Pierce score 40 a piece every night, and put up 110 pts, but we're going to still lose when we give up 112 to the opp.

IT IS THE DEFENSE,

The problem arises when:

Your best defensive player has to save energy to score on offense.

Get him a second option that can score and defend, then you have your best defender to play defense.

If the 2nd OPTION, can score and defend, then he also will be able to save energy for defense.

That leads us to LO, if he can just defend and rebound, that is where he is comfortable at, he doesn't have to be an option on offense.

Now, the biggest problem is the point and getting the bigs in foul trouble. Smush doesn't have to worry about scoring 20 and his job is to lock down the other point guard or he sits his butt on the bench. Trust me, when Smush understands there is no excuses, ( he likes his paycheck ) He will start defending better.

ALL OF THIS WITH A SECOND OPTION THAT CAN DEFEND !!!! WOW !!!!

Now do you understand about the second option or do you have more complaining to do? If they just focus on defense, thier offense would suffer. Excuses I know, but the Lakers need to eliminate excuses and a second scoring option does that. If he DEFENDS.

It's about the team concept. Having 3 guys score 12 pts along with Kobe's 30-35 is > then a 2nd guy scoring 22 pts a game along with Kobe's 30-35.

And this is what Lamar gives you. The ability to distribute the ball around while playing defense/rebound and take the pressure of doing that distributing job off of Kobe's shoulders so he can do his job.

What we need are better perimeter shooters. Sasha is suppose to be an ace during shoot arounds and practices, but he hurls up enough bricks throughout the game to build a nice Malibu mansion at the end of the night. Same with Luke. Our best perimeter shooters are Cook and Smush. Even with that Smush is mediocre at best. We need a Kerr/Paxson/Hodges/Hansen type that can hit that open shot consistently.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:

Croshere sucks, and Kobe got abused by Eddie Jones tonight.
KobeToShaq
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

...this post by uberzev, and yet when i offered up the idea of calling him Lamarijuana Odom as a nickname, I almost get kicked off by JD. seems fair.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: