OFFICIAL DAVID "MR. DUNK" NWABA THREAD (Picked up off waivers by Bulls p. 24)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

You're reading too much into it. Saying building blocks in a summer interview doesn't mean untouchable, especially not months later when the season is lost. And I'm pretty sure it's Mitch's call anyway, and he was surely fielding offers. The Lakers called up Manny Harris and Shawne Williams in 13-14, Jabari and Vander in 14-15.

Like someone else said, let's not act like this was some sort of visionary move. It made sense and most likely would have happened anyway.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
You're reading too much into it. Saying building blocks in a summer interview doesn't mean untouchable, especially not months later when the season is lost. And I'm pretty sure it's Mitch's call anyway, and he was surely fielding offers. The Lakers called up Manny Harris and Shawne Williams in 13-14, Jabari and Vander in 14-15.

Like someone else said, let's not act like this was some sort of visionary move. It made sense and most likely would have happened anyway.

No one is saying it's a visionary move. It's the obvious move but when have the Lakers made the obvious moves? They've made terrible moves. They would have benefited from signing Harper or Magette to a 10-day last season but didn't do it. It's clear Huertas didn't belong - and I'm not saying this because I hate him).

The Nwaba signing is one of the reasons I'm ecstatic about the management change. I believe it will be the first of many good signings.

You don't think Jim has a say in personnel decisions? You don't think he had some say in the Mozgov-Deng contracts?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

No one is saying it's a visionary move. It's the obvious move but when have the Lakers made the obvious moves? They've made terrible moves. They would have benefited from signing Harper or Magette to a 10-day last season but didn't do it. It's clear Huertas didn't belong - and I'm not saying this because I hate him).

The Nwaba signing is one of the reasons I'm ecstatic about the management change. I believe it will be the first of many good signings.

You don't think Jim has a say in personnel decisions? You don't think he had some say in the Mozgov-Deng contracts?

The thing that cleared room for Nwaba was the Calderon buyout. Not the Lou trade, nor the Huertas trade, which brought back players. I don't buy that Jim would have prevented Mitch from doing that. Also that they wouldn't call up players when they've done so 2 out of the previous 3 seasons. If they wanted Magette, they would have called him up. Just so happens that they like Nwaba, who happens to fit a desperate need on this roster.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

The thing that cleared room for Nwaba was the Calderon buyout. Not the Lou trade, nor the Huertas trade, which brought back players. I don't buy that Jim would have prevented Mitch from doing that. Also that they wouldn't call up players when they've done so 2 out of the previous 3 seasons. If they wanted Magette, they would have called him up. Just so happens that they like Nwaba, who happens to fit a desperate need on this roster.

1) Nwaba would not even get playing time if Lou was still on the team. Yes, Calderon was bought out to make room for him, but the Lou/Huertas trade opened up more PT for Ennis, Nwaba.
2) Again, they had to sign d-league players because of the injury situation. They did not have a choice. It's not like they actively scouted out d-league players the way they are doing now. They just picked what they assumed were the "best" d-league players, only the best players are usually the ones that defend and create for others. It's refreshing that they didn't fall into the Vander Blue trap.
3) They would have benefited from d-league players last season. Obviously no major injuries meant the same players all of last season. Harper was picked up by Detroit.

It's not a coincidence moves were made quickly after the regime change. Just like with Yogi, Chasson and some of the other hot prospects, Nwaba risked being picked up by another team.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

1) Nwaba would not even get playing time if Lou was still on the team. Yes, Calderon was bought out to make room for him, but the Lou/Huertas trade opened up more PT for Ennis, Nwaba.
2) Again, they had to sign d-league players because of the injury situation. They did not have a choice. It's not like they actively scouted out d-league players the way they are doing now. They just picked what they assumed were the "best" d-league players, only the best players are usually the ones that defend and create for others. It's refreshing that they didn't fall into the Vander Blue trap.
3) They would have benefited from d-league players last season. Obviously no major injuries meant the same players all of last season. Harper was picked up by Detroit.

It's not a coincidence moves were made quickly after the regime change. Just like with Yogi, Chasson and some of the other hot prospects, Nwaba risked being picked up by another team.

1) Lou voluntarily sat 12 out of the last 20 games last season. Huertas wasn't playing this season.
2) You have no idea whether they did that, or actually thought the guys they picked had potential unless proven otherwise.
3) They used an injury exception to put the roster at 16 to sign Buyucks in 14-15 and sat guys like Price and Boozer. Obviously it was not like they were running out of bodies to put on the bench
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

Will he get a second 10-day contract? I hope so. Other than his shooting, he's a joy to watch play.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Will David Nwaba get 10 more days?

Quote:
“He’s done, in my opinion, everything he can to deserve another 10-day,” Lakers coach Luke Walton tells The Orange County Register. “I like his defensive intensity. I like his character as a person. I like his work ethic. Those are types of qualities we want around our locker room.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/41478/nba-rumor-central-will-david-nwaba-get-10-more-days
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Good game by Nwaba
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Still waiting on a Mr. Dunk type highlight in a Laker uniform.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I like him

He plays very good defense

and we need defense
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject:

He's better than Deng.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject:

Laker Junkie wrote:
He's better than Deng.
lol try running some actual set actions with him. You'd change your tune quickly. A perimeter guy who can't shoot a lick, even from midrange, would kill anything Luke would run. Deng's 34% and Ingram's 30% from 3 hurt the offense enough from how much teams would cheat off of them.

FTR I like him a lot.
ratra_1211
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject:

ya he looks like a PF who can dribble in transition out there, but he's constantly attacking for loose ball which is A for effort. one on one defense is head and shoulders above any of our player though, maybe excluding tarik despite his size limitations.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

ratra_1211 wrote:
ya he looks like a PF who can dribble in transition out there, but he's constantly attacking for loose ball which is A for effort. one on one defense is head and shoulders above any of our player though, maybe excluding tarik despite his size limitations.

That's because he's a 6'4" guard. He should be able to dribble in transition.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

"He has led the team in net rating over a (incredibly small) sample size of 56 minutes"

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/3/10/14881378/la-lakers-free-agency-ten-day-contracts-luke-walton-david-nwaba-stats
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
"He has led the team in net rating over a (incredibly small) sample size of 56 minutes"

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/3/10/14881378/la-lakers-free-agency-ten-day-contracts-luke-walton-david-nwaba-stats

Lakers should lock up Nwaba. If you want to play with other 10 days, that's what MWP's roster spot is for.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

TRob-trooper but should be cut.

Ennis-probably stays.

MWP-free hotel rooms and best seats for the rest of the season? Probably stays.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Lock him up!

Do it Magic.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

Get this guy in summer league!!!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Lakers should lock up Nwaba. If you want to play with other 10 days, that's what MWP's roster spot is for.

No need for MWP's spot. He took Calderón's.

Maybe they give him another 10-day, but I'd sign him long term (3 yrs, 2nd yr non-guaranteed) right now.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

Today they signed him to another 10 day contract.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

NWABA BYKE
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

That Luke gif is legendary

Especially when you watch it like he was eye flirting with Kevin Ding instead
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
tnell wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Looks like our best defensive player was in the D-league the whole time. At least Magic figured it out.

Lol you really think Magic was behind the pickup

I think Magic listened to Joey, who has been in charge of the dfenders these past few seasons. If Joey, Jesse, Ryan West have more active role in personnel decisions, Lakers will find more gems like Nwaba in the coming seasons. Definitely not something Jim would have done.
incorrect. we didnt have space for Mr dunk pre lou will trade, calderon let go etc.

We were going to pick up someone to fill one of those spots anyway if magic were here or jimbo was here. odds are it was going to be a d-leaguer
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

No need for MWP's spot. He took Calderón's.

Maybe they give him another 10-day, but I'd sign him long term (3 yrs, 2nd yr non-guaranteed) right now.
Remember whatever he is doing on offense right now is also a part of the fact that no team is even mentioning him in their game plan. Come next year this time. They will scout for him too. on both ends. how to keep him off of their best guy, how to defend his little euro step move he likes to do. box him out to keep him off the glass, etc, etc.

Once that happens. we will find out if he is good enough to make adjustments anyway. OR if that game planning for him even stops what he does best. because there are times when you can gameplan all you want and you still can't stop it. "he's going to his right everytime". So. you still can't stop it. We need to see if thats the case with Mr Dunk. This is why I'm not sure I want to sign him to a 3 year deal. 2 years with that 2nd one a team option is best in my opinion. Now if too many teams come calling. WE might have to go with your plan of 3 years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 8 of 26
Jump to: