OFFICIAL DAVID "MR. DUNK" NWABA THREAD (Picked up off waivers by Bulls p. 24)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Nwaba has that Dfish defensive stance down pat.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Is his contract non-guaranteed next year?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Nwaba signed a $1.4 million contract through the 2017-18 season.

The FO has until late June to pick up his option for next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

I hope we keep him.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

he plays bigger than his size.

love watching him go up for rebounds and swat shots into the stands.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I thought that too, but it looks like he is unguranteed next year, and a team option for 2018-2019.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

Even if his overall team defense awareness isn't there (he joined the team so late), I like how you can kind of bring him into the game to play physical defense on a hot player. We really didn't have that kind of player on the team until he came.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Even if his overall team defense awareness isn't there (he joined the team so late), I like how you can kind of bring him into the game to play physical defense on a hot player. We really didn't have that kind of player on the team until he came.

Agreed between Frodo, Calderon JC and DLO we had not one above average guard defender. So yes, Nwaba is much needed on this squad.

IMO it seems to me like it harder to learn to be a great defender than it is to learn how to shoot. I can't name very many players who came into the NBA as good offensive players/bad defenders who later became lock down defenders.

But I can name quite a few great defenders who later became quite good at offense.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

I really do not think Nwaba is a great defender
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

I'm sure the numbers don't show it. But as a possible +15 (new CBA allows for 2 way roster spots) I would gladly keep him. Offers physicality (more than actual defensive stopper) that we badly needed.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:

I'm sure the numbers don't show it. But as a possible +15 (new CBA allows for 2 way roster spots) I would gladly keep him. Offers physicality (more than actual defensive stopper) that we badly needed.

I haven't even looked at the numbers. Just watching him, I felt his man defense was above average, not great.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:

I haven't even looked at the numbers. Just watching him, I felt his man defense was above average, not great.

Right. I wouldn't categorize him as a defensive lockdown stopper, but he does impose a level of physicality/athleticism that we don't have.

But in the context of a 14-17th roster spot, i'll gladly keep him.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

David Nwaba says he plans to play in Las Vegas Summer League

Los Angeles’ native son says he wants to do whatever it takes to make the final roster in the fall.

Quote:
Nwaba told the media during his season-ending exit interview that his original plan was to make the Lakers’ Las Vegas Summer League roster, and that he still plans to head out to the desert as a member of the Lakers.

“I’m ahead of schedule,” Nwaba said. “I’m excited about the off-season and ready to put in the hard work.”

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/4/13/15296712/la-lakers-david-nwaba-stats-las-vegas-summer-league-d-fenders-call-up-cal-poly
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:

But for a rookie, above average is excellent.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:

Exactly. The great defenders of the league don't necessarily come into the league that way. Even Kobe was crap on that end until he realized the importance of it and dedicated himself a few years into his career.

What's important is that Nwaba already seems to be hanging his hat on defense and recognizing that's where the bulk of his NBA value is. And he's got all the tools, physically and athletically. That sequence where he forced Steph - STEPH, of all people - into an airballed 3 was beautiful to watch...until McCaw turned it into an alley oop highlight.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Another case of confusing activity over achievement. Granted, simply trying on defense can result in some positive things, but he's far from the stopper he is made out to be.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:

He's also 24 - not quite a "rookie"
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
tox wrote:

Another case of confusing activity over achievement. Granted, simply trying on defense can result in some positive things, but he's far from the stopper he is made out to be.

He was a great defender in the "D-League."

If he is ever able to become a great defender it will take some time and effort for him get up to that level in the NBA.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
tox wrote:

If he is ever able to become a great defender it will take some time and effort for him get up to that level in the NBA.

He needs to work on angles. He has the wingspan to cheat just the teensiest bit and recover, but he cheats too far. Kyrie was able to eat him alive because of that. (Granted, it's Kyrie, but it was the type of shots he was getting that was disappointing, not the fact that he was scoring.)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
tox wrote:

took him about 5 minutes to become a better defender than most of our roster....dude has that core strength....would have been a stud Strong Safety or even weak side linebacker
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:

DB, do you think Nwaba can grow into the role of an elite defender? I'm not too sure on the growth curves of a player like Nwaba. He's already 24 so I kind of imagine him to stay the player that he is.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:

DB, do you think Nwaba can grow into the role of an elite defender? I'm not too sure on the growth curves of a player like Nwaba. He's already 24 so I kind of imagine him to stay the player that he is.

Age helps a little here, but you're still a rook when 1. You aren't used to the speed of the game at this level and 2. You aren't used to the tendencies of players when every night is the first night you've faced them. So despite the age, the experience just isn't there. And you see more activity than intelligent activity.

I definitley see a lot of mistakes but some great effort to recover and challenge on shots he had no business challenging on. Also some nice help reads. When he starts cutting down on the mistakes and now he's either recovering less or made up that extra beat of reaction time that rookies always lack, that's when he's in their jerseys more and making an impact.

So he definitley needs experience and probably a vet in his ear for a full season. Metta already said he's a great defender but needs to work on offense, so I don't know if he was teaching him anything from his bag of tricks on that end of the floor (but maybe Deng and Brewer can?) Or if we can finally hire a real defensive coach this offseason. Then, it's a matter of whether he commits to just being a great defender to trying to be an elite defender.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I thought that too, but it looks like he is unguranteed next year, and a team option for 2018-2019.

I wanna keep him as most of you guys, but I don't think it's apparentive to keep him at all costs... especially considering we might have multiple draft players coming.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
tox wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:

Age helps a little here, but you're still a rook when 1. You aren't used to the speed of the game at this level and 2. You aren't used to the tendencies of players when every night is the first night you've faced them. So despite the age, the experience just isn't there. And you see more activity than intelligent activity.

I definitley see a lot of mistakes but some great effort to recover and challenge on shots he had no business challenging on. Also some nice help reads. When he starts cutting down on the mistakes and now he's either recovering less or made up that extra beat of reaction time that rookies always lack, that's when he's in their jerseys more and making an impact.

So he definitley needs experience and probably a vet in his ear for a full season. Metta already said he's a great defender but needs to work on offense, so I don't know if he was teaching him anything from his bag of tricks on that end of the floor (but maybe Deng and Brewer can?) Or if we can finally hire a real defensive coach this offseason. Then, it's a matter of whether he commits to just being a great defender to trying to be an elite defender.

Appreciate the insight That does make me a little bit more optimistic about him then. Forcing Curry into an airball was definitely impressive.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Out of curiosity, who do you think are good defenders on the Lakers, if any?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 19 of 26
Jump to: