OFFICIAL DAVID "MR. DUNK" NWABA THREAD (Picked up off waivers by Bulls p. 24)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
tox wrote:
I really do not think Nwaba is a great defender

Out of curiosity, who do you think are good defenders on the Lakers, if any?

Consistently, I'd say the only good ones are Nwaba and Nance. I'd add Black, but only if he isn't guarding a legit starting 5. Deng is probably slightly above average.

Beyond that, I think Ennis is fine guarding backup 1s, and Brewer is well above average against benches but ineffective against higher level competition who are less prone to making the dumb passes that he feasts on. Mozgov and Russell to me are flawed individual defenders who work fine in a proper defensive scheme.

That's probably about all the praise I would give to this roster.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
defense wrote:
tox wrote:

Consistently, I'd say the only good ones are Nwaba and Nance. I'd add Black, but only if he isn't guarding a legit starting 5. Deng is probably slightly above average.

Beyond that, I think Ennis is fine guarding backup 1s, and Brewer is well above average against benches but ineffective against higher level competition who are less prone to making the dumb passes that he feasts on. Mozgov and Russell to me are flawed individual defenders who work fine in a proper defensive scheme.

Lol, more or less how I feel. That's why I like the idea of keeping Nwaba, not because he's Tony Allen good but because we aren't in a position to reject players who play defense.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
tox wrote:
defense wrote:
tox wrote:

Lol, more or less how I feel. That's why I like the idea of keeping Nwaba, not because he's Tony Allen good but because we aren't in a position to reject players who play defense.

I get that. The way I view it is that you have to be Tony Allen good to make up for how limited Nwaba is on offense. But he's 24 and has room yet to grow on both ends, and at the very least he can be that guy Luke brings off the bench to set the tone when the Lakers aren't playing defense (kinda like MWP this year, but less bad)
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

Lakers’ David Nwaba believes he’s “ahead of schedule” in landing on an NBA roster

Quote:
Nwaba starred at University High of Los Angeles. But he received no scholarship offers. He transferred from Hawaii Pacific to Santa Monica College to Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, and led the Mustangs to their first ever NCAA tournament. But Nwaba went undrafted. He joined the Lakers’ Development League affiliate, the D-Fenders, wondering if he would ever fulfill his dream in playing in the NBA. But less than a season answer, Nwaba’s dream came true by playing for his hometown team after growing up idolizing Kobe Bryant.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2017/04/21/lakers-david-nwaba-believes-ahead-schedule-development/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

2017 Player Capsule: David Nwaba

Quote:
Season Summary:
Los Angeles native David Nwaba had a season straight out of Hollywood. The University High product originally had to try out for a spot on the Los Angeles D-Fenders. He quickly became one of the team’s top contributors and a D-League Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

This earned Nwaba a call-up to the Lakers on Feb. 28, and he took full advantage. The 24-year-old’s defense drew rave reviews from Luke Walton and Rob Pelinka, who rewarded him with a multi-year contract. He also became a regular on the team’s highlight tapes with his trademark slams.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170419-player-capsule-david-nwaba?cid=tw
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Serena Winters‏ @SerenaWinters

Congrats to David Nwaba (@dnwaba0) for making the @nbadleague All-Rookie team & All-Defensive team!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:

*David Nwaba plans to work on his shooting in NBA Summer League

The undrafted guard is ready to address the biggest weakness of his game.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-david-nwaba-sondheimer-20170511-story.html

**David Nwaba displays perseverance in journey from University High to Lakers

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-david-nwaba-sondheimer-20170511-story.html
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakers’ David Nwaba On Toughest Player To Guard, Who He Patterns His Game After, And Offseason Goals
Quote:
On Sat. June 10, Nwaba will make an appearance in Rowland Heights at The Optometry Practice of Dr. Alex Corbin Liu to sign autographs. Nwaba spoke with Lakers Nation to promote the event as well as talk about his experience with the Lakers thus far and what he’s been working on during the offseason.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-david-nwaba-talks-toughest-player-to-guard-who-he-patterns-his-game-after/2017/06/06/
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Lakers’ David Nwaba On Toughest Player To Guard, Who He Patterns His Game After, And Offseason Goals
Quote:
On Sat. June 10, Nwaba will make an appearance in Rowland Heights at The Optometry Practice of Dr. Alex Corbin Liu to sign autographs. Nwaba spoke with Lakers Nation to promote the event as well as talk about his experience with the Lakers thus far and what he’s been working on during the offseason.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-david-nwaba-talks-toughest-player-to-guard-who-he-patterns-his-game-after/2017/06/06/

That bit about modeling his game after Bowen and only focusing on his jumpshot, specifically hitting corner threes, and defense was great to hear. I mean it's only offseason talk and chances are low that he'll become an impact player on the level of Bowen, but it's promising that he knows and accepts what his role is going to be on this team and is solely working towards that. If he can consistently knock down 3-pointers at a 35-36%+ clip and continue to improve his defense, he'll be a solid role player for us, especially given our current lack of these skills on the perimeter.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

That bit about modeling his game after Bowen and only focusing on his jumpshot, specifically hitting corner threes, and defense was great to hear. I mean it's only offseason talk and chances are low that he'll become an impact player on the level of Bowen, but it's promising that he knows and accepts what his role is going to be on this team and is solely working towards that. If he can consistently knock down 3-pointers at a 35-36%+ clip and continue to improve his defense, he'll be a solid role player for us, especially given our current lack of these skills on the perimeter.

His slashing ability and offensive rebounding could be additional weapons to round out his game if he can become a consistent 3&D guard. I was actually impressed by how much of a positive impact he did make offensively as a complete non-shooter.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

His slashing ability and offensive rebounding could be additional weapons to round out his game if he can become a consistent 3&D guard. I was actually impressed by how much of a positive impact he did make offensively as a complete non-shooter.

Consistent 3 D&D guy- don't forget the Dunks!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Consistent 3 D&D guy- don't forget the Dunks!

If he settles into being a long-time Laker, I'm up for a custon No. 10 Mr. Dunk jersey.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

There is something very likable about this guy. I hope he has a long and successful career with Lakers.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

If Nwaba shot 36-40% from three he'd be one of the best steals we ever pulled off.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

That's what the D league is for. Gives un-drafted players a chance to prove them selves on a professional level. Nwaba is smart because he focused on the think that he knew would be valuable to an NBA team- Defense.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I hope he masters Bowen's karate kick defense.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Would you guys rather have Nwaba or Ennis on the roster?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerBaker wrote:
Nwaba all day but Ennis ain't bad at all.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:
Nwaba all day but Ennis ain't bad at all.

I think that we can keep both, but I would prefer Nwaba if I had to choose.

We need a lock down defender and he is it.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

South Bay Lakers Sweepstakes: Register to win a David Nwaba Signed Basket Ball (Drawing 7/17/17)

http://southbay.dleague.nba.com/news/david-nwaba-basketball-sweepstakes/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Bresnahan‏Verified account @Mike_Bresnahan 4h4 hours ago

One final deadline this week: Lakers must decide by Thursday whether to pick up David Nwaba's $1.3-million team option for next season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

Today is the deadline.....anyone know if we have or plan on picking up the team option?
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Today is the deadline.....anyone know if we have or plan on picking up the team option?

He's playing in summer league so I'd assume we'll pick up his option.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

Does Nwaba start or do we give Deng another chance? Does Nwaba start over Hart?
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

magic raved about him yesterday when he umped in nwaba bres interview
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 20 of 26
Jump to: