NBA Changes Timeout Rules and Trade Deadline

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: NBA Changes Timeout Rules and Trade Deadline

The timeout changes are long overdue in my opinion.

Quote:
The NBA board of governors approved a rule to decrease the number of timeouts per game from 18 to 14. It also OK'd a rule that would limit timeouts in the last two minutes of the game to two per team, down from three per team.

Quote:
Each team will get seven timeouts per game with no restrictions per half. Previously a "full" timeout was 90 seconds and a "20-second" timeout was 60 seconds. Both will be replaced with 75-second team timeouts.
In overtime, teams previously had three timeouts but that has been decreased to two.

I have no strong opinion about the trade deadline change.

Quote:
The governors also approved moving the trade deadline from the Thursday after the NBA All-Star Game to the Thursday 10 days before the All-Star Game.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19974682/nba-board-governors-approves-rule-drop-outs-18-14-per-game
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I like the idea of getting all trades done before the ceremonial halfway point of the NBA season.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
I like the idea of getting all trades done before the ceremonial halfway point of the NBA season.

Where I think this may cause issues and/or hurt feelings is when potential All-Stars are traded to the other conference.

Let's say that Hayward was traded from the Celtics to a team in the West. If he were in position to be voted a starter on the East, but is still trailing the forwards leading in votes for the West, there is the potential he doesn't make the all-star team at all when he would have made it if he was still in the East.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

All positive changes for once.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

this fairs well for us with lonzo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Mitch used to talk about how the GM's would talk and get together over the all star break. A lot of deals are discussed and made during that period. It's rare opportunity for the senior staff of the different teams to talk face to face. It seems odd to me that they would make this change. I'm not I understand what's gained or why they did it. I'm sure there was a reason, I'm just not seeing it right now.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
Mitch used to talk about how the GM's would talk and get together over the all star break. A lot of deals are discussed and made during that period. It's rare opportunity for the senior staff of the different teams to talk face to face. It seems odd to me that they would make this change. I'm not I understand what's gained or why they did it. I'm sure there was a reason, I'm just not seeing it right now.

Saw on NBA-TV where Silver mentioned that a big reason it was done was for the non-all-stars who would go through a week's all-star break and then get traded and have to relocate when the season resumed. This way, these players can use the week-long all-star break to get situated with their new team.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject:

I assumed that the NBA wanted the all-star game coverage to be about the all-star game and not about trade rumors.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: