The Lakers as we knew them are now just a memory.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: The Lakers as we knew them are now just a memory.

I wish things didn't come apart like this only a few years removed from Jerry's passing.

It sucks being a Lakers fan with hit after hit of neg press and setbacks.

What keeps you interested in the Lakers now days?
I know it's not watching the game's best or winning since have neither.

(bleep) time to be an American and from LA
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Nothing last forever man and this down turn will past too.

I dont know when they will be good again but being a Lakers fan has nothing to do with winning.

I will always root for them and I dont have a choice in the matter.

Lakers 4 life
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject:

It's a rough patch but they'll be back on top.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm a laker fan for life. That means going through ups and downs. Winning all the time would be great but a little boring. The bad years make the good ones sweeter
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Man, it was great watching the Lakeshow of the 90's, the Shaq-Kobe era, and the Kobe-Pau-Odom run. that's what i'll always remember. Even if the Lakers are not good again anytime soon, i'll never forget those times, nor root for any other NBA team.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Man, it was great watching the Lakeshow of the 90's, the Shaq-Kobe era, and the Kobe-Pau-Odom run. that's what i'll always remember. Even if the Lakers are not good again anytime soon, i'll never forget those times, nor root for any other NBA team.

I guess because they were competitive, it didn't feel as bad, but still, it was 11 yrs in between the 88 and 2000 titles. So that's how I keep count, this is only year 6 from our last title. And we're loading up more players with higher ceilings than Jerry West did. West played it safe, but got lucky with Shaq. Once the chance of landing Shaq was real, West then traded Vlade for the 13th pick to clear cap space. If Shaq wasn't interested, as much as he liked Kobe, I don't believe he would have dealt Vlade for a high school kid. This is simply a different route, but I also preach around here all the time, that there is no exact science to this. We could be going on a 29 yr drought now had Shaq not decided to come. But he did, so people/fans got comfortable and bought into the media hype about how special we are. Talent always flow our way, which is the biggest MYTH ever. Shaq has been the only big time free agent we've ever landed in the past 30 yrs. Fans and media do not realize how damn lucky we are. But because we never changed this myth and allow it to perpetuate, Mitch and Jim paid the price for not landing a big time free agent. I don't count Karl Malone and Gary Payton, they were way passed their primes, but if you want to count them, they were Mitch's signings, not Jerry West. There has only been 1 super star who walked to LA, Shaq.

There is no exact science to the Lakers success like fans and media think there is. That is why Jim and Mitch paid the price. And who knows, Magic Johnson may pay the price later on as well.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject:

Most teams are supposed to go through a rebuild like this after championship runs. Lakers got Magic and Kobe while being good. NBA landscape is different and teams are smarter now. Spurs pulled off a similar steal in Leonard and Pop is still there. Those are the exceptions. If we keep the pick, there's enough talent to turn the situation around either way. You could trade for PG 13, Butler etc or build with young core. Or best case scenario were we add RW, Pg 13 in 2018 into an upcoming young team. Deng/Moz can be stretched and dumped using picks then.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject:

Laker for life, but loosing, tanking and going forward after four miserable seasons without a single player someone outside LG would build a team around is depressing. Dr.Buss may not be proud.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Most teams are supposed to go through a rebuild like this after championship runs. Lakers got Magic and Kobe while being good. NBA landscape is different and teams are smarter now. Spurs pulled off a similar steal in Leonard and Pop is still there. Those are the exceptions. If we keep the pick, there's enough talent to turn the situation around either way. You could trade for PG 13, Butler etc or build with young core. Or best case scenario were we add RW, Pg 13 in 2018 into an upcoming young team. Deng/Moz can be stretched and dumped using picks then.

Spurts also got Lamarcus.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Laker for life, but loosing, tanking and going forward after four miserable seasons without a single player someone outside LG would build a team around is depressing. Dr.Buss may not be proud.

Just bad luck, it's just a matter of time before we get a center piece for our next championship run.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
nash wrote:

Just bad luck, it's just a matter of time before we get a center piece for our next championship run.

Bad management. Despite all the praising our scouting report gets here in part deserved considering we have late picks producing, our most enthusiastic supporters would have a tough time dealing our 3 high lottery picks for three new high lottery picks. You are going to find some stats proving otherwise but our record tells a lot. If you add zero charisma and no real plans to show leading us to miss all the free agents not named Mozgov and Deng while passing on at least a couple of all star guards while waiting for other players and missing a couple of sure fire all star bigs in two straight drafts I wouldn't call it just bad luck. Didn't trade a few players that left us for nothing hurts even further, we got zero assets from Pau and D12.

I expect some house cleaning by the new front office and hope it is not other Jim Buss house cleaning setting us a few years back again.

Last edited by nash on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject:

I'd love to watch a series chronicling what is going on in the FO, GoT style 😎
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Spurts also got Lamarcus.

Because they had a young superstar in Leonard and Pop's still there. Phil was our HOF coach and he started thinking about retiring from 2009 onwards due to health reasons. So that was another challenge. Management had the right idea with CP3 trade even when many fans were not keen to lose Pau. After that some horrible decisions with coaches, punting cap space passing on Lowry, IT only to waste it on Deng/Moz where as Spurs/Rockets ensured they will be relevant for a decade with Leonard/Harden trades.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject:

Vomitous bunch of whining.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

Man, you ride the high and the low.

Lakers4Life
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

trade veto murdered the franchise. We'll rise again.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

It's ok bro. But as we know them is a relative saying. I would say the Sedale Threat led early 90s lakers were not as we knew them either. Still, good times were ahead. I have no doubt that good times are ahead.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Vomitous bunch of whining.

LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

The Lakers, as we knew them, are a distant memory. One of the reasons that they are a distant memory is because the CBA landscape, and thus the NBA landscape, has changed.

Problem? management didn't change quick enough to adapt.

The new management is here to catch us up to things as they are, not as they were, nor how we'd wish it to be in terms of our history attracting free agents.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

Meh, this period will just separate the hardcore fans from the casual ones. Yes, the good times are over, but nothing lasts forever. If anything it is showing us that we cannot rely on past reputation to build on future successes. There has to be an honest self reflection of what they are doing wrong in order to fix their problems.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

The only thing this skid has impacted, is my interest in the general NBA. I mean, I feel like I'm seeing players I've never heard of on a consistent basis. That was never the case when we were on top.

When we were good, I definitely watched more games of the teams I expected to go up against in the playoffs. Now, I only watch Lakers games.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

Watching them get humiliated Friday night against Boston was a real punch in the gut. It was hard to watch that beatdown.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Watching them get humiliated Friday night against Boston was a real punch in the gut. It was hard to watch that beatdown.

Yeah I was that the game and it really gave me a sense of pessimism about the future..
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:
32 wrote:

Yeah I was that the game and it really gave me a sense of pessimism about the future..

So glad I missed that game. The one that did it for me was the Phoenix blowout. I've felt close to nothing about the roster since then, even my favorite players, even the promising ones.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

What sucks even more is that their going to the playoffs and also getting reinforcements in the NBA draft because they have the Nets 1st round draft pick....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: