Useless or annoying stuff that Stu Lantz says
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
misterioso wrote:
You spent a lot of time ranting about something that isn't going to change. Stu very likely has this job for as long as he wants it. He may not be the best color commentator around, but the fact that he's been around for 30 years, dating back to the Showtime Days, he's part of the Lakers experience and narrative.

I'll gladly listen to Billy Mac and Stu over Ralph Lawler and Mike Smith any day, any time.

WIth the way the Lakers are managed the post Jerry Buss. Anybody can be let go. I was surprised John Black, Mitch Kupchak, Ronnie Lester. Still sucks that Jerry West isn't our GM anymore.

When the Lakers reduced staffing during the player lockout, all the cuts came from the operational side, not the business side. Jeanie kept all of her people.

Stu works for Jeanie. He's not going anywhere.

As for Mitch and John Black, they were associated with the recent failures of the organization. Their dismissals were hardly arbitrary.

Mike Smith gets his data off a sheet of paper or is fed through a headset by the team statistician, same as everyone else. Most of the time, his dialogue is one endless diatribe professing his man-crush on Blake Griffin.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
misterioso wrote:
You spent a lot of time ranting about something that isn't going to change. Stu very likely has this job for as long as he wants it. He may not be the best color commentator around, but the fact that he's been around for 30 years, dating back to the Showtime Days, he's part of the Lakers experience and narrative.

I'll gladly listen to Billy Mac and Stu over Ralph Lawler and Mike Smith any day, any time.

WIth the way the Lakers are managed the post Jerry Buss. Anybody can be let go. I was surprised John Black, Mitch Kupchak, Ronnie Lester. Still sucks that Jerry West isn't our GM anymore.

When the Lakers reduced staffing during the player lockout, all the cuts came from the operational side, not the business side. Jeanie kept all of her people.

Stu works for Jeanie. He's not going anywhere.

As for Mitch and John Black, they were associated with the recent failures of the organization. Their dismissals were hardly arbitrary.

Mike Smith gets his data off a sheet of paper or is fed through a headset by the team statistician, same as everyone else. Most of the time, his dialogue is one endless diatribe professing his man-crush on Blake Griffin.

Yeah. I was initially surprised.by John Black too but in thinking about it, it makes total sense. You want your PR guy's loyalty to be with you and not the previous regime.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Stu adds nothing to the broadcast, he doesn't have anything insightful to say and he rarely breaks down plays or explains anything technical. Secondly it's fine if a commentator can't do the above but at least be entertaining and he's not even that. His sayings are irritating and his attitude makes me wonder if he even likes the Lakers. I'd rather listen to Bill Walton talk about he plight of the endangered Yangtze finless porpoise than hear Stu utter another syllable.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
What? I love Stu.

i know.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Stu's really not that bad.

He is, but he's a Lakers icon, and one of the only remaining ones at this point unfortunately. So he gets a pass.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
WeDidItReddit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

I listen to games on mute
alohalakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Stu adds nothing to the broadcast, he doesn't have anything insightful to say and he rarely breaks down plays or explains anything technical. Secondly it's fine if a commentator can't do the above but at least be entertaining and he's not even that. His sayings are irritating and his attitude makes me wonder if he even likes the Lakers. I'd rather listen to Bill Walton talk about he plight of the endangered Yangtze finless porpoise than hear Stu utter another syllable.

Yes!

Stu does zero prep for each game. He just runs through the same tired old phrases from his stream of consciousness. Compare his worthless contributions to actual color announcers that do their work. I know it's unfair to compare him to great color men like Hubie Brown or Jack Ramsay, or even Bill Walton, but the Lakers organization should be able to have a good to great TV product. Spectrum is paying them premium dollars but we get consistently stuck with Jeanie's flunkies and best buddies (Billy Mac) who are totally amateurish morons. They'd be fine in a lesser media market, but c'mon, this is Los Angeles.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it's because I've gotten used to listening to Stu for so long, but he doesn't really bother me
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:

If the game is muted, are you really listening to it?
Mr. Blonde
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Stu is super annoying can't stand him tbh.

"If he would've put a little more arc on that shot it would've gone in" well no (bleep) sherlock.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

How dare you!?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

the stu haters are going to regret this. i think you guys are just frustrated with the sucky state of the team and hearing stu is just aggravating it, but stu is cool man. I remember when everyone wanted spero dedes that moron to do our games. so glad that didn't happen.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
the stu haters are going to regret this. i think you guys are just frustrated with the sucky state of the team and hearing stu is just aggravating it, but stu is cool man. I remember when everyone wanted spero dedes that moron to do our games. so glad that didn't happen.

Spero is infinitely better than Ireland or Billy Mac at calling basketball. It's not even close.
Mike Breen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

He's no Mike Breen, but Stu is awesome
WeDidItReddit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
WeDidItReddit wrote:

If the game is muted, are you really listening to it?

What if I'm really deaf and all the noises I hear are just in my head?
Billium
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:
I thought lays it up and lays it in were separate thing. You can miss layups. Right?

The part I find most awkward is when Billy makes a joke and Stu gives him dead silence in return.

I love the made up conversations, I want a cut of all his made up conversations with a nice "on the Lakers basketball network" thrown in at the end.

I'm kind of over any commentary at all, I think its redundant. Just show me replays of good plays, tell me what was called, and why it was called. Give me insight I can't get by watching on TV.

It would be nice to watch without commentary and just have the floor miked so we can hear the sound effects, crowd noise, and court chatter. I'm more interested in that than any commentator in the game now.

FoxSports experimented with that on a separate channel. Honestly it was kind of weird.

It was weird, they used the baseline cams way too much in my opinion so it didn't give a very good perspective of the action.

In regards to the "8 point play", I believe that was also something Chick used to say but I think he said 5 points.

I do appreciate that Stu does keep some of Chicks saying around but he isn't very good at his job anymore. He used to actually be able to break down the game but that doesn't seem to happen at all. Maybe that is because the broadcast doesn't allow for it or maybe it is because he stopped putting in the work to do so, either way that lost perspective means that his contributions to the game are minimal at best. He doesn't have a great rapport with Billy Mac and somehow found a way to not get a long with Joel Meyers (a sin in my book). The only reason I listen to him and Billy Mac is that I find almost every other announcing team in the league to be worse.

Last edited by Billium on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

I dont have a problem with stu

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject:

The only thing Stu has going for him is the decades of riding on Chick's coattails. That's it. He's not an exceptional announcer by any stretch of the imagination.

The most annoying thing about Stu (I don't know if he still does this) are his imaginary conversations between the people on the floor, e.g.:

Kobe says to Chucky Atkins, clear the runway.
Chucky Atkins says no problem, it's all yours Number 8
But the ref says, "Noooooooooo way that's a travel" on the Lakers basketball network.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
TheGoat1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Stu is pretty annoying. Among other things, I find Stu the contrarian to be him at his worst. The constant urge to correct/discredit things said by the play by play guy is just weird. I wasnt the biggest Joel Myers fan, but i kinda felt bad for him. Billy doest get it as bad as Joel did, but Stu still comes off as this stubborn.... long in the tooth relic from the past.

Other than playing NBA Courtside on Nintendo 64 as a kid, i havent heard much of his work with Chick Hearn, but i doubt Chick would've put up with it.

Stu's too old to change his ways at this point. Its time to put him out to pasture. I much prefer the radio team with Ireland and Thompson. I'd like to see them promoted to television.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Spero is infinitely better than Ireland or Billy Mac at calling basketball. It's not even close.

i'll give you that. he is a skilled commentator, i just cant stand listening to him. He's a Bulls fan for one thing, highly annoying.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject:

Uhm i think its clear Stu is very lazy. If a game goes into OT, he loses his mind and starts complaining. I wonder if he even likes his job. I look forward to the day he retires and I don't have to listen to his awful comments.

Also, I instantly mute the TV when he starts referring to an assist as a "your welcome." its kind of embarrassing.
McSassy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject:

Top 5 best thread ever. Glad someone did it!
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Spero Dedes should've been the next TV voice of the Lakers. He's very talented, and enjoy his work doing NCAA basketball and NFL football.

One of Stu's go-to phrases used to be "and that...'ll get it done" (with a little pause after saying "that"), and I haven't heard him say that in forever.

I don't mind Stu nearly as much as some others here. Also, "charity stripe" was something that Chick used to say.

Chick was Chick. Like many of the great performers, another guy can't come in and try to sing the same tune or tell the same joke and have anywhere near the effect. There are quite a few things Chick said that really wouldn't have made any sense if someone else had said them. His personality and delivery made them legendary.

When I hear Stu say things like charity stripe or news bulletin, I just hear a guy that is old and stale.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject:

Mike Breen wrote:
He's no Mike Breen, but Stu is awesome

lol go (bleep) yourself.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17
Jump to: