Useless or annoying stuff that Stu Lantz says
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmblakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject:

.4 wrote:

please

Derek
Fisher
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject:

TheGoat1 wrote:
Stu is pretty annoying. Among other things, I find Stu the contrarian to be him at his worst. The constant urge to correct/discredit things said by the play by play guy is just weird. I wasnt the biggest Joel Myers fan, but i kinda felt bad for him. Billy doest get it as bad as Joel did, but Stu still comes off as this stubborn.... long in the tooth relic from the past.

Other than playing NBA Courtside on Nintendo 64 as a kid, i havent heard much of his work with Chick Hearn, but i doubt Chick would've put up with it.

Stu's too old to change his ways at this point. Its time to put him out to pasture. I much prefer the radio team with Ireland and Thompson. I'd like to see them promoted to television.

He was a good fit for Chick because Chick didn't have as much dead air for Stu to fill. Chick was simply the best to ever do it, and he wouldn't wait for Stu to complete his boring nonsense, he'd just start talking over Stu, and Stu understood that was his cue to shut it.

What we are witnessing right now is Stu run amok. He's bought into his own hype as a Chick-era hanger-on and now the arrogance that Chick kept in check is on full display. He thinks he's above whoever they seat next to him. It only took me 2, maybe 3 seasons tops after Chick's passing for me to grow sick of Stu. He's just stealing paychecks at this point. Grumpy old fart needs to go away.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject:

What? Back off stu!!!

A lot of that stuff reminds me so much of chick.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject:

Stu is part of watching local lakers game. I don't take his analysis seriously but it's 'home'... he's Lakers family.

MSG knicks broadcast has Frazier saying the same catch phrases every game too, so much that they wrote an article about it
http://elitedaily.com/sports/somebody-made-a-statistical-breakdown-of-walt-clyde-fraziers-most-used-catchphrases-this-season/
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

Stu is awful and always has been, but so are almost all commentators around the league. At least his voice isn't as flat out annoying as Walt Frazier's. I don't know how Knick fans can stand listening to his weird inflections throughout a whole season. I don't mind Stu, hardly even notice him anymore to be honest. It'll be kind of sad when he leaves just because of the connection to Chick.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

Didn't realize there was this level of animosity towards Lantz. Never crossed my mind in all honesty.

I am reading all these comments about all his annoyances and not seeing an issue. I don't watch the games to listen to him. I don't think his commentary takes away from the game as some of you do. It just background noise at worst. Every once in a while he contributes a background story of insight that is entertaining IMO.

Not the best commentator but far from the most annoying. He may not be up to the standards of the National telecasts. Although I'm sure threads about some of them could also have pages of negative comments.

I catch a lot of random games throughout the season on League Pass. Some of the local feeds have horrible commentary. Before criticizing Lantz too much you may want to compare him to his peers among the team announcers. Some of the styles are so annoying within minutes I am switching to the opponents feed to escape them.

to each his own I guess.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

My problem with Stu is he doesn't seem to be well prepared for the broadcasts.

He doesn't seem to be a basketball junkie type who knows all the rosters, the latest rumors, etc.

He is more of a big picture kind of broadcaster, certainly there are worse color guys.

Once the team is better, it will likely be time to lose Stu and Billy Mac and bring in some real talent. For now, it doesn't matter honestly.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I like Stu.

KoreanKobra
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

they should bring back Stu's Views.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Stu is awful and always has been, but so are almost all commentators around the league. At least his voice isn't as flat out annoying as Walt Frazier's. I don't know how Knick fans can stand listening to his weird inflections throughout a whole season. I don't mind Stu, hardly even notice him anymore to be honest. It'll be kind of sad when he leaves just because of the connection to Chick.

While Frazier is not my cup of tea, I can understand why a lot of people think he's cool and funny, which gets to Rajin's earlier point: be entertaining or be informative. If you can get a guy who does both (I've heard some people say that's Frazier) that's like striking gold, but at least check one of the boxes. I'm really perplexed how anyone can find Stu fun.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
My problem with Stu is he doesn't seem to be well prepared for the broadcasts.

He doesn't seem to be a basketball junkie type who knows all the rosters, the latest rumors, etc.

He is more of a big picture kind of broadcaster, certainly there are worse color guys.

Once the team is better, it will likely be time to lose Stu and Billy Mac and bring in some real talent. For now, it doesn't matter honestly.

He makes this insane drive from San Diego for each home game, right? I used to have to do it every day to just Temecula and it's brutal. Maybe that's why he's so cranky, although I can't say I've noticed a big difference on the road games.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

He is just that crazy retired guy in the barbershop, who has nothing better to do than sit around commenting about the old school days. Either you like that kind flavor or you hate it. Personally, I think it is much more irritating with the Lakers in a downward spiral. Maybe they should mute his microphone until we are a 50 win team again....
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

I used to think Stu was bad, but then I got league pass. Most home team commentators across the NBA come across as borderline illiterate.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

Stu drives me meshug and says at least one thing per broadcast that I have to comment on its ridiculousness

But I love Stu and I can't imagine the broadcasts without him and I'll be a little sad once he does retire.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

I find it funny how many people hate Stu but I could care less.

Sure theyre better out there but I never notice the people behind the mic much.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Stu has some antiquated philosophies, mainly not incorporating insights of how the game is played now in his commentary (other than the occasional spot on how guys run to the 3-put line on the break). But overall he's pretty good. The real issue with the TV commentary is that they have a pitchman calling the game (Billy) instead of someone talented in bringing depth to things happening on the court. If you think on what Bill says, you probably can more easily recall his bit on Jaaaack-in-the-box a lot more than anything he's saying during the games. Chick of course was a master of both but asking for that is too much.

Billy is agreeable and isn't bad. Plus the team being so poor also makes for a less enjoyable experience. But he is pretty much there to sell stuff.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerHabib wrote:
Instant favorite thread. His patronizing/condescending tone has been getting to me most over the years.

Everyone loves him because he's been a laker for 30 years or whatever.

Just because he has been there for a lot of years doesn't mean they are quality.

Stu is the same. His pompous attitude with every single commentator post chick has been painful to hear.

Last edited by Krispy Kreme on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Stu's awesome. I am surprised he didn't retire with Kobe though. My gut says he'll retire in the next few years (probably whenever his next contract expires) and will be replaced by Thompson. Not sure what that'll do for the radio and/or Billy Mac.

I honestly just wish we had a better play-by-play man to sit with Stu. Reason I think Stu's been more repetitive of late (at least in the Joel and Billy Mac days) is he gets more time to talk.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I keep seeing people somehow justifying Stu by saying many other teams have worse commentating teams. While that may be true, that does not make it okay to keep Stu who is ...lets say..the best of the worst?

I get the argument to keep him for now, because there is no reason to get him out, but once this team takes off, Lakers really need to talk him about gracefully stepping away.

Edit: (Lakers should just fire Billy Mac at that point, and bring in some real talent)
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Mike Breen wrote:
He's no Mike Breen, but Stu is awesome

RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

He's funny when there's chance of overtime. He detests overtime
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
You spent a lot of time ranting about something that isn't going to change. Stu very likely has this job for as long as he wants it. He may not be the best color commentator around, but the fact that he's been around for 30 years, dating back to the Showtime Days, he's part of the Lakers experience and narrative.

I'll gladly listen to Billy Mac and Stu over Ralph Lawler and Mike Smith any day, any time.

Ah you beat me to it. Anyone who hates Stu probably hasn't heard Mike Smith. He's basically just a fan that gets to be in the booth and cheer.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

A lot of the fans around the league actually like our broadcast team for not being total homers. There's definitely worse around.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
I used to think Stu was bad, but then I got league pass. Most home team commentators across the NBA come across as borderline illiterate.

Same. I used to think I just liked Stu for personal reasons but once I heard what other fans are dealing with I realized he's actually pretty good.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:

Same. I used to think I just liked Stu for personal reasons but once I heard what other fans are dealing with I realized he's actually pretty good.

This.

Me being from Brazil, I'm not able to listen to the Lakers broadcast everytime.
Others teams commentators SUCK. Really.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17
Jump to: