LaVar Ball (Lonzo Ball's father)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Way to screw up the kid's endorsements dad....
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19264024/nike-armour-adidas-not-interested-deal-lonzo-ball

That was so unnecessary for his father to jeopardize his son's earnings like that. It won't happen, but there is one way that will probably shut pops up: Lonzo, because he's 19, and of legal age, could threaten pops with "either shut up, or I'll exclude you from representing me in any capacity".

See if that would cause him to let professional representatives speak on his son's behalf.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, their father is turning them into a family full of L's.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19264024/nike-armour-adidas-not-interested-deal-lonzo-ball

That was so unnecessary for his father to jeopardize his son's earnings like that. It won't happen, but there is one way that will probably shut pops up: Lonzo, because he's 19, and of legal age, could threaten pops with "either shut up, or I'll exclude you from representing me in any capacity".

See if that would cause him to let professional representatives speak on his son's behalf.

He won't need Nike, Adidas, or UA if he is picked by Los Angeles. His shoes might sell like hotcakes from LA and internationally.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

I think Ben Simmons got 5 years/16 million for his Nike deal. Was offered 18 million from Adidas, but turned it down. That's a lot of money to be leaving on the table.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

If you want a basic t-shirt from BBB, it will set you back $60.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

If Lonzo and/or his brothers are as good as hyped, Nike, UA, Adidas, etc., will be kicking themselves.

People whined about Richard Williams (Venus and Serena's dad) - they are worth a combined $225 million bucks.

People whined about Matthew Knowles (Beyonce's dad) - she's the biggest female star on the planet.

People whined about Joe Jackson (Michael's dad) - his kids are screwed up in the head . . . but most of them are rich-to-filthy-rich.

The "system" is intimidated by a-hole black dads - they want them to be like Earl Woods (Tiger's dad) - but some of them have been very effective.

LaVar may know what he's doing.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

his father isnt jeopardizing anything for lonzo.
not one thing.

anyone saying that is doing so because they dont like lavar's talking and they some what WISH that something bad would come from it, even if it hurts the son(s) so you could say "told ya, loud mouth would get you in trouble."

the truth is. the big shoe companies didnt back out of a normal deal with lonzo. they backed out of a deal that his father and his company (lonzo is part owner of the company) tried to put together to be in a partnership with said shoe companies.

it's like this for those who dont get it.

lets play it like monopoly.

If i wait til i have boardwalk and parkplace of course by then i have the prime properties and if i wanted to sell it to you then you would jump all over it. but at the beginning of the game I try to sell you parkplace. its going to cost you because all you need is boardwalk and you're set. but they're no guarantees that you will end up with the other blue property. whatcha gone do? some people wont take the deal that early in the game and only wait for the sure thing. well if you wait for the sure thing, the price will sky rocket.

some think lavar asking for a billi for his kids is crazy.
he didnt say 1 bil for each kid unless i'm mistaken. he said 1 billion for all 3.

do the math.
lebron has a billi deal all by his lonesome. I'm giving you access to all 3 of my clients. not 1, not 2, but 3 of them all at once. This has never been done before.

lets say they all end up balling for arguments sake.

james harden had a deal with nike...worth millions. he has recently signed with addidas for 200 million.

so those two deals together. probably amts to close to a 300 mil just for one person.

lets toss in lillards ealry shoe deal and his most recent big time deal. thats another almost 300mil.

this is what these guys are getting all by themselves.

lebron is getting a billion dollar deal over the course of a lot of years all by himself.

whats so wrong about saying my 3 sons are worth 1 lebron?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
When Lavar has a stellar college career averaging 2.2 points, I think white, brown, black, asian, pretty much any person across all races have run circles around him playing the game of basketball....
that wasnt his only college stats just to be fair.

i know thats the running joke. but if we're going to talk bad about the guy lets tell the whole truth.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
If Lonzo and/or his brothers are as good as hyped, Nike, UA, Adidas, etc., will be kicking themselves.

People whined about Richard Williams (Venus and Serena's dad) - they are worth a combined $225 million bucks.

People whined about Matthew Knowles (Beyonce's dad) - she's the biggest female star on the planet.

People whined about Joe Jackson (Michael's dad) - his kids are screwed up in the head . . . but most of them are rich-to-filthy-rich.

The "system" is intimidated by a-hole black dads - they want them to be like Earl Woods (Tiger's dad) - but some of them have been very effective.

even though we now have proof of these kind of black dads pulling this stuff off in similar fashion. they still wont want to hear you. its a race thing for both non blacks and blacks that dont get it either.

people are just not use to or even want to get use to seeing a black person put it out their like that for all to see and not care about what you think.

in addition it bothers people when they see others do things they WISH they had the guts to do or say but are afraid of the backlash to even try. It's called projecting. And lastly, its part of the reason most of us are sheep. we follow, we do not lead.

If nike, addidas come calling. we jump on that deal. we never think about being serious in creating our own brand/business. because its HARDDDDDD. and we will have to deal with and go up against nike addidas, etc. and i Say....SO WHAT> how do you think nike and addidas started? look at under armor now. they were trash in the beginning and now they are a viable 3rd option to nike addidas and then UA. thats crazy bbut its real. thats what happens when you believe in yourself, and your brand.

people use to clown that name to "what the heck is under armor?" "that commercial is stupid." ,etc. etc.

And for the record their have always been other shoe brands (non foreign) that other players have worn.

this aint new.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

not one thing.

anyone saying that is doing so because they dont like lavar's talking and they some what WISH that something bad would come from it, even if it hurts the son(s) so you could say "told ya, loud mouth would get you in trouble."

the truth is. the big shoe companies didnt back out of a normal deal with lonzo. they backed out of a deal that his father and his company (lonzo is part owner of the company) tried to put together to be in a partnership with said shoe companies.

If i wait til i have boardwalk and parkplace of course by then i have the prime properties and if i wanted to sell it to you then you would jump all over it. but at the beginning of the game I try to sell you parkplace. its going to cost you because all you need is boardwalk and you're set. but they're no guarantees that you will end up with the other blue property. whatcha gone do? some people wont take the deal that early in the game and only wait for the sure thing. well if you wait for the sure thing, the price will sky rocket.

he didnt say 1 bil for each kid unless i'm mistaken. he said 1 billion for all 3.

do the math.
lebron has a billi deal all by his lonesome. I'm giving you access to all 3 of my clients. not 1, not 2, but 3 of them all at once. This has never been done before.

james harden had a deal with nike...worth millions. he has recently signed with addidas for 200 million.

so those two deals together. probably amts to close to a 300 mil just for one person.

lets toss in lillards ealry shoe deal and his most recent big time deal. thats another almost 300mil.

lebron is getting a billion dollar deal over the course of a lot of years all by himself.

yep, it could be considered a gamble, but in reality if Lonzo is good ALL of those shoe companies will come back and with bigger offers and more willing to listen to those 'agreements'.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
just like a lot of basic t-shirts from other people.

Gucci has a nice plain shirt that says gucci on it. for ........$450.00

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/mens-ready-to-wear/mens-t-shirts-polos/mens-t-shirts/washed-t-shirt-with-gucci-print-p-440103X3F059045

so how is BBB wrong when asking for $60?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

not one thing.

do the math.

yep, it could be considered a gamble, but in reality if Lonzo is good ALL of those shoe companies will come back and with bigger offers and more willing to listen to those 'agreements'.
i think people are missing the simple point. the shoe companies left the partnership deal alone. they didnt leave a regular run of the mill player deal alone. that aint going anywhere. if lonzo walks over to nike, addidas, or any where else. they will sign him to a normal top 5 draft pick shoe contract like they do everyone else. his dad did not mess that up. its about money to those people. those people dont care about a loud mouth pops. they better not because a lot of business guys are A class A-holes. But they bring in the money so no one cares. Lavar ball has created 3 ballers out of his children. so if they keep playing well. no one will care and they will cut them a check one way or another.

and lastly. this is not about just these deals. its about creating a business for his children and their children possibly, and their children. this is about a black man trying to create wealth for his kids. something that is hardly ever accomplished in america. and we all kind of know why that is. but no one should ever be upset with mr ball for trying to do it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

not one thing.

do the math.

i think people are missing the simple point. the shoe companies left the partnership deal alone. they didnt leave a regular run of the mill player deal alone. that aint going anywhere. if lonzo walks over to nike, addidas, or any where else. they will sign him to a normal top 5 draft pick shoe contract like they do everyone else. his dad did not mess that up. its about money to those people. those people dont care about a loud mouth pops. they better not because a lot of business guys are A class A-holes. But they bring in the money so no one cares. Lavar ball has created 3 ballers out of his children. so if they keep playing well. no one will care and they will cut them a check one way or another.

and lastly. this is not about just these deals. its about creating a business for his children and their children possibly, and their children. this is about a black man trying to create wealth for his kids. something that is hardly ever accomplished in america. and we all kind of know why that is. but no one should ever be upset with mr ball for trying to do it.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

What's so wrong is that nobody in the licensing world is willing to project all three of his sons to be worth even 10% of one LeBron property ... COMBINED. Stop this B.S. nonsense that he's crazy like a fox. This dude is just a loud-mouthed (bleep) moron who's looking for a bigger dummy to overpay for his overrated kids ...
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

What's so wrong is that nobody in the licensing world is willing to project all three of his sons to be worth even 10% of one LeBron property ... COMBINED. Stop this B.S. nonsense that he's crazy like a fox. This dude is just a loud-mouthed (bleep) moron who's looking for a bigger dummy to overpay for his overrated kids ...
sorry he's not just a loud mouth moron. you wish that were the case for some reason.

is he loud? yep.

but he aint no moron.

but if all you hear is the loudness and have never really paid attention to what he has said when being serious and talking about the BBB brand and his sons. then i could see why you think that way.

you do realize one of his sons drop 90+ points right?

you do realize the middle son is averaging like 30 a game playing vs legit high school comp.

Sorry you cant say he's overrating his kids when they are kids showing you they are top tier ballers right now. does that mean they will become great college ballers? one did. but the answer is NO, there are no guarantees. but if you ask a parent he/she will tell you the answer is YES because they believe in their children. and unlike most parents. the reason lavar believes in his kids is because he personally trained them to be as good as they are. in addition. his kids love to play and compete and entertain on the court. this is not usually the case when you see kids with a parent(s) that pushes this hard in any one area. usually the kid(s) aint really feeling it like that but they play along for a while and the truth comes out that they no longer want to pursue that thing their parents wanted them to do. thats note the case with these kids yet. it seems they love the sport just as much as their father does.

lets take a look at a high school steph curry.

sorry to say but a the ball kids look as good as he does here while they were in high school. now that doesnt automatically mean they will be better a lot of people peak at that point. but thats usually because they lose that crazy love for the game and they have a lack of work ethic/size/athleticism to compete at the next level. this is not yet the case for the ball kids.

Last edited by splashmtn on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
the association wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

sorry he's not just a loud mouth moron. you wish that were the case for some reason.

is he loud? yep.

but he aint no moron.

but if all you hear is the loudness and have never really paid attention to what he has said when being serious and talking about the BBB brand and his sons. then i could see why you think that way.

you do realize the middle son is averaging like 30 a game playing vs legit high school comp.

Sorry you cant say he's overrating his kids when they are kids showing you they are top tier ballers right now. does that mean they will become great college ballers? one did. but the answer is NO, there are no guarantees. but if you ask a parent he/she will tell you the answer is YES because they believe in their children. and unlike most parents. the reason lavar believes in his kids is because he personally trained them to be as good as they are. in addition. his kids love to play and compete and entertain on the court. this is not usually the case when you see kids with a parent(s) that pushes this hard in any one area. usually the kid(s) aint really feeling it like that but they play along for a while and the truth comes out that they no longer want to pursue that thing their parents wanted them to do. thats note the case with these kids yet. it seems they love the sport just as much as their father does.

There's no practical way for us to wager on this matter, unfortunately. But let's be clear: Gelo's 70+ points in a game and Melo's 90+ points in a game this season were both pathetic performances. Have you watched them play? Melo literally didn't cross the half court line for most of the game, and I'd estimate that 40 - 50 of his points came on uncontested-adjacent layups. That ain't gonna fly after high school. Furthermore, most informed parties are already indicating that Gelo won't start at UCLA next season. And then you've gotta go back to 120 lb. Melo, who's a sophomore ... I'd be careful about projecting him toward stardom, too.

So again ... who's going to buy those shoes?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
the association wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

is he loud? yep.

but he aint no moron.

There's no practical way for us to wager on this matter, unfortunately. But let's be clear: Gelo's 70+ points in a game and Melo's 90+ points in a game this season were both pathetic performances. Have you watched them play? Melo literally didn't cross the half court line for most of the game, and I'd estimate that 40 - 50 of his points came on uncontested-adjacent layups. That ain't gonna fly after high school. Furthermore, most informed parties are already indicating that Gelo won't start at UCLA next season. And then you've gotta go back to 120 lb. Melo, who's a sophomore ... I'd be careful about projecting him toward stardom, too.

So again ... who's going to buy those shoes?
gelo is averaging 30 points per. lets say we never saw the 70.

he's averaging 30 a game. thats not a joke. no matter how you slice it. his 3 kids are actually playing offense the way the new wave wants them to. they are doing things the analytics guys love.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

not one thing.

do the math.

If they backed out of a deal, and its because he is doing the talking, representing, etc., which I have no problem with, he is jeopardizing his son's potential earnings, if only the earnings that said companies back out of in this specific set of circumstances.

Re: whats so wrong about saying my 3 sons are worth 1 lebron? Nothing. Nothing at all.

As far as the rest of your post. Ok
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/men/mens-ready-to-wear/mens-t-shirts-polos/mens-t-shirts/washed-t-shirt-with-gucci-print-p-440103X3F059045

Gucci is a world renowned brand that it nearly 100 years old. With that said, I wouldn't touch them or any other expensive brand with a 10-foot pole.

Even Nike sells basic shirts for half ($30) of that price:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/basketball-pp-swoosh-mens-t-shirt/pid-11925565/pgid-12024960

With that said, if you like the shirts, go buy them. Why not buy 10 of them while you're at it?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
When Lavar has a stellar college career averaging 2.2 points, I think white, brown, black, asian, pretty much any person across all races have run circles around him playing the game of basketball....
that wasnt his only college stats just to be fair.

i know thats the running joke. but if we're going to talk bad about the guy lets tell the whole truth.

You are right...those are only his stats from his season from Washington State....a Division I school, I can't imagine how bad his stats were from Division II Cal State LA....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

The problem with that comparison is that Lavar Ball will probably have to start his own brand or partner with a Chinese shoe company at this point. A Chinese shoe company will not give him anywhere close to the share of profits that a company like Nike, UA , Addidas will.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I like iconoclastic people, but I think LaVar Ball is an idiot. I respect the what, but not the how. It's one thing to do what Richard Williams did with a couple of dominant children in an individual sport, and quite another to do it in the NBA.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

not one thing.

do the math.

If they backed out of a deal, and its because he is doing the talking, representing, etc., which I have no problem with, he is jeopardizing his son's potential earnings, if only the earnings that said companies back out of in this specific set of circumstances.

Re: whats so wrong about saying my 3 sons are worth 1 lebron? Nothing. Nothing at all.

As far as the rest of your post. Ok

you guys are following the media and taking what you feel about daddy ball and turning that into the story. thats not what happened with the 3 shoe deals.

This is how it goes for all top draftees.

here comes Nike (with a deal for millions, but not the biggest money until you prove to be a top tier mvp candidate baller.. you will not have much say if any in any shoe designs yet until you reach kobe/jordan/bron/prime Kd status) you're basically getting colorways and thats it...ask james harden why he left nike for addidas.)

here comes addidas... still early in your career. we have no idea who you will or wont pan out to be. so we'll give you more than nike because nike is the biggest so we have to pay more for you to not go with the tried and true. we still wont give you ability to design your own shoe complete this early in..we have to see you balling it up first. we might give you design say, earlier than nike if you prove to be a top baller(you could be a lillard level guy and not jordan, bron, kobe status and still get design capabilities)

here comes under armor?: will throw the most money at you because they have to. yes they are part of the big 3 NOW. thats only recently(Thanks steph). So they have to pay to keep adding star players to their lineup. Maybe early on you get design abilities. why? because they need to wheel you in. they can't be tough and say no like nike or addidas. otherwise you will go with those two. lets be honest. if you can't design your own kicks. why on earth would you go with under armor? you wouldnt. but even Under armor wont give you a superstar deal before you become a superstar. they can't risk it.

And now you have the 3 Bs. big baller brand. This is not just lavar's company. this is company belongs to the 3 sons too. this isnt just lavar mouthing off. this is for his kids today and their future and their children's future.

the 3 B's inc. wants a parternship deal with one of the big 3.

the big 3 shoe companies say, "can't do it because we have no idea what lonzo, melo, or gelo will become. we surely have no idea if gelo will even make the league, and the youngest is a wild card. and we're not sure if lonzo will put enough points on the board to be exciting enough to sell shoes like that out the gate. he's more of a passer anyway. (curry natural scorer first, kobe scorer first, bron perfect mix of both but can easily be a scorer since he's so big, durant natural scorer, westbrook natural scorer first, kyrie...jordan, melo. all scorers. aint nobody checking for the jason kids. but we did check for those magic weapons? is lonzo the next magic? Maybe.. is he the next penny? we did buy those penny's? perhaps. but we dont know yet. so sorry 3 B's inc. cant do it.

What the 3 major companies are STILL willing to do is sign lonzo to a normal draftee few million dollars deal. that is not off the table. its not like lonzo has hit a woman, or killed someone or been caught with drugs or caught stealing. havent heard one bad thing about him.

dad is just loud. but he hasnt said anything that really is hurtful. he made the whiteman cant jump comment as a partial joke. a joke blacks and whites have said for 30 years. so that aint that bad either. and he semi apologized about it to the actual players who know him well and already know's lonzo's dad is crazy about the mouth.

So the truth is, the deal thats off the table is a deal that was never on the table from the big 3. it was an idea from the big baller brand.

the regular deal is still there waiting anytime lonzo is ready to sign. if he chooses that route. so in reality his dad has not messed up his money.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Gucci is a world renowned brand that it nearly 100 years old. With that said, I wouldn't touch them or any other expensive brand with a 10-foot pole.

Even Nike sells basic shirts for half ($30) of that price:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/basketball-pp-swoosh-mens-t-shirt/pid-11925565/pgid-12024960

With that said, if you like the shirts, go buy them. Why not buy 10 of them while you're at it?

not the point. i know who gucci is. how did they become world renowned? they started from the bottom at some point. so the 3b's have to do it too.

dont be mad at them for that. its the life of a startup business. its not easy.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I like iconoclastic people, but I think LaVar Ball is an idiot. I respect the what, but not the how. It's one thing to do what Richard Williams did with a couple of dominant children in an individual sport, and quite another to do it in the NBA.
sure. but is it impossible to pull it off in the nba? we shall see. what other parent has 3 balling kids at the top of their games? non that i know of. at least not yet. not that we've heard of. aside from these ball bros. so give him his credit thus far. right now he's done it right. lets see if the other 2 can survive college. one and done or 4 year graduates. lets see if they can make it to the league along with the big brother and still ball out. lets see if lonzo can be himself in the nba and elevate his nba team. i can't assume these things WONT happen. because all we have right now is stats that show they probably will since these kids are really really good at basketball at this point in their careers. anyone doubting them is doing so in their feelings not using actual proof. get out of your feelings and wait and see.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13
Jump to: