Chick Notwithstanding, Paul Sunderland Was the Best Lakers Announcer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Well I used it like that on purpose though. And yeah, if Bill Walton and Spero were our announcers I would watch every minute of every game no matter how terrible the play.
TDG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I will forever remember him as the guy who misspoke and said josh howard as dwight got postered by kobe
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Chick Notwithstanding, Paul Sunderland Was the Best Lakers Announcer

PHILosophize wrote:
Fact.

Counterpoint:

"Oh my god! What did I just see!?"

I don't know, (bleep), what did you just see? A description would be nice for the simulcast.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I liked Joel (although Stu clearly did not lol)
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Listening to Billy Mac basically is like listening to the opposing teams announcers talking about our team but even worse if that's possible. Dead serious. That guy is the ultimate negative nancy.

He has no relationship with any of the players and doesn't even bother to get to know anything about them so he has nothing insightful to say on air but regurgitated facebook/twitter feed comments. He's a disgrace. Aside from the lack of knowledge of the game, and his insistent stat sheet reading, and calling out bad plays left and right and highlighting it over and over, dude should go back to studio work and interviews. Not be the "Voice of the Lakers"... jesus...c...
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I liked Joel (although Stu clearly did not lol)

I did too. Best of the three since Chick to me. Great radio voice too. It didn't take him long to find another gig once he was let go. I can't imagine Billy Mac getting picked up by another team if/when he's let go.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

Spero i would have loved doing the play-by-play on TV and Sunderland i didnt like that much

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

Joel had the best actual voice I will give you that.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

I heard that Paul Sunderland still announces volleyball games too, in case you guys were missing his perfection at work.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I heard that Paul Sunderland still announces volleyball games too, in case you guys were missing his perfection at work.

yes for ESPN and NBC

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Stu's main problem - though I agree with nearly every point in TrebleClef's excellent thread - is that he disagrees with a majority of what his announcing partner says. This was especially apparent with Joel, but also definitely still a problem with Billy Mac. Now, it is certainly true that both Joel and Billy Mac say some pretty dumb things, but Stu does not need to explicitly disagree with them so often.

Sundy was just the bees knees in every facet of announcing prowess. Case in point: His call on that epic Kobe shot against the Blazers in the last game of the reg season that year.

That call of Sundy's is forever burned in my brain, down to the crack in his voice in the middle of the scream . As someone else said, he had an impossible task following a legend. In hindsight, the guy was a real pro and seemed to love being with the Lakers. He never should've been let go.

Joel Meyers was good as well, but Grumpy Stu seemed to squeeze him out. It's no surprise to me that Stu prefers a lackey like Billy Mac who he can steamroll whenever he pleases. We won't have a quality play by play guy until the old fart is released.

I thought Sundy's main problem was that he deferred to Stu way too much. And Stu, of course, ran roughshod over him.

Joel was my favorite. He didn't defer to Stu and Stu may have taken that as a lack of "proper" respect.

The guy who I wish had gotten the job after Chick was the Raiders' announcer, Greg Papa. He subbed for someone for one game some years ago and did an incredible job. Totally relaxed, knowledgeble and in control. Course, Stu may not have been able to take having such a pro next to him.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Paul was a great sideline reporter and pre-game interviewer. It's a shame he had to lose that job, although I'd have to say Trudell is better.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Paul's enthusiasm certainly made him nice to listen to.

Joel is actually a pretty good announcer, it's just his AWFUL chemistry with Stu made it seem otherwise.

Joel: Kobe's amazing!!!
Stu: No, he's not!... (kneejerk, instantaneous reply)

Stu n Joel, icy.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Chick Notwithstanding, Paul Sunderland Was the Best Lakers Announcer

mhan00 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Fact.

Counterpoint:

I don't know, (bleep), what did you just see? A description would be nice for the simulcast.

Kobe drives dow-WHOOOOOAAAOW!!1...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Billy Mac:

JEEEEEEEE-YAAACK in the BUH-OOOX.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

I liked Joel Myers a lot, grew up listening to him when I started watching the Lakers regularly. Billy Mac is the worst.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chick Notwithstanding, Paul Sunderland Was the Best Lakers Announcer

non-player zealot wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Fact.

Counterpoint:

Kobe drives dow-WHOOOOOAAAOW!!1...

Quote:
24. LOS ANGELES LAKERS (25.5)

This could be the most watchable awful team in NBA history. They’d have ranked higher, if not for a local broadcast team that makes it seem as if every single shot — and especially every Kobe chuck — is a MASSIVELY IMPORTANT PART OF AN EPIC TALE THE BARDS WILL SING FOR CENTURIES. Close your eyes, listen to Bill Macdonald narrate a random L.A. loss, and you might think Kobe was leading the Lakers into battle against the Celtics in Game 7. If Kobe throws two straight passes that indicate a basic understanding of basketball, brace yourselves for high-pitched proclamations about FACILITATOR MODE.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-annual-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-1-2/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

I've always liked Sundy because of his volleyball calling days.

But Spero was much better when it came to basketball.

Outside of those two, it's been downhill. But that's pretty much par for the course in Lakerland these days.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I've always thought that Ireland and Billy Mac are nothing more than placeholders until the Jeanie's staff finds a permanent voice(s) who are going to be here for the long haul.

There was a lesson learned with Dedes; it's become too difficult to lock down the young up and coming announcers simply because there's too many well paying jobs in the industry. There's the regional sports networks for both pros and college. Sports that used to be exclusively broadcast by one channel are now split up between multiple channels.

While it's not a bad gig to be the local broadcaster for a team, it can hardly compare to a national job. The young announcers aspire to be one of the among the elite broadcasters who can write their own ticket and cherry pick whatever job they want, guys like Costas, Michaels, Buck, Tirico.

My thought is when Jeanie decides to make a change with the broadcast teams, she thinks very carefully about possibly changing the dynamic and doing something out of the box. If it were me, I'd go on search the UCLA and USC broadcast journalism programs and find a few folks with a gift of gab, a deep-seated interest in sports, folks with a hard edge and perhaps a rap game, and bring them in as as interns with the hopes of developing a new style of delivering game content. Somebody with the vocal chops of a Stephen A, Kellerman, or Ice Cube, but also be conversant in all aspects of the game. Some folks who would fit right in with the new generation of fans as opposed to this endless merry go round of generic cookie cutter white guys.

Chick set the standard for Lakers broadcasts. If nobody can meet the standard, then change the standard.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Paul's enthusiasm certainly made him nice to listen to.

Joel is actually a pretty good announcer, it's just his AWFUL chemistry with Stu made it seem otherwise.

Joel: Kobe's amazing!!!
Stu: No, he's not!... (kneejerk, instantaneous reply)

Stu n Joel, icy.

did he just say that the Lakers were 22-5? Wow, the good ol days.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: