OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
danzag wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
hopefully he drafts better.

Could you elaborate?

What mistakes drafting wise are you referring to?
"crickets"

Sacre, duh

Kevin Ding said he crippled the franchise

Actually it was Shelburne

According to her, Jim Buss' fixation on Sacre was the main reason we could not sign a top tier FA.

no she said because of Jim Buss's fixation with Sacre, we had to let go off Kent Bazemore

I'm glad Mitch and Jim are gone. But Kent Bazemore is overrated and now way over paid.
We dodge that bullet but only to get ran over by the Moz/Deng contracts.

its about Bazemore vs sacred. one is getting paid 15m and other guy is out of league
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

At the same time, we overpaid Deng because we couldn't get Bazemore.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
danzag wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
hopefully he drafts better.

Could you elaborate?

What mistakes drafting wise are you referring to?
"crickets"

Sacre, duh

Kevin Ding said he crippled the franchise

Actually it was Shelburne

According to her, Jim Buss' fixation on Sacre was the main reason we could not sign a top tier FA.

no she said because of Jim Buss's fixation with Sacre, we had to let go off Kent Bazemore

I'm glad Mitch and Jim are gone. But Kent Bazemore is overrated and now way over paid.
We dodge that bullet but only to get ran over by the Moz/Deng contracts.

its about Bazemore vs sacred. one is getting paid 15m and other guy is out of league

I wouldnt want either player on this team though, one i getting 17.5 mil a year for less production than Clarkson. The other is Sacred, no winner between the two in my mind.
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
A lot of people saying he wouldn't leave his agency to be a yes man to Magic. So far that's what it sounds like he will be, or maybe it's just me getting that vibe.

Why would Magic hire a guy for the GM job who had a completely different vision for the Lakers than his own? On the other hand, why would Pelinka have accepted a job working for a guy whose vision for the Lakers is completely different from his own? My point is, you might be mistaking uniformity of vision (a good thing, IMO), with Pelinka being a "yes man".
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Ohhhhh, if you watched the game on Spectrum, a Pelinka interview's coming up right now
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Pls don't trade D'Angelo
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Don't do it Ron Pelinski
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Ohhhhh, if you watched the game on Spectrum, a Pelinka interview's coming up right now

Was that the "Connected With.." program after the game or was it different? The Connected With interview was filmed shortly after his introductory press conference and was just more of the same, "collaboration and Laker brand" talk along with some additional anecdotes from his past.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Was that the "Connected With.." program after the game or was it different? The Connected With interview was filmed shortly after his introductory press conference and was just more of the same, "collaboration and Laker brand" talk along with some additional anecdotes from his past.

Oh I guess so. I thought this was the first time it aired. It was p boring. He's had his talking points memorized for a while, even down to the wording
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Oh I guess so. I thought this was the first time it aired. It was p boring. He's had his talking points memorized for a while, even down to the wording

I'm already tired of that Lakers 2.0 phrase. Time for some re-branding.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

I'm already tired of that Lakers 2.0 phrase. Time for some re-branding.

Eh, Im cool with it. Shoot your shot Rob
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I am really excited about Pelinka. The NBA is different than other sports, you have to be VERY careful as a GM for a couple of reasons:

1. Limited Roster Spots

2. Guaranteed Contracts

This isn't football where you can just cut a guy and not have to pay him. And you don't have a huge roster like football or baseball.

The money is guaranteed AND there is a cap. Yikes.

Bottom line is Mitch/Jim completely cratered the franchise...it was beyond brutal and Mitch's botching of the draft protection haunts us still.

Pelinka is being wise to not do what I am sure he wants to do which is act boldly and try and change the thing right away.

Instead, he will have to be patient and strike with stealth, deadly strikes.

Getting Fultz, Ball, Jackson or ? in this draft isn't imperative (I hope) but obviously it would be very, very nice.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Rob Pelinka shares his thoughts on the path forward

There’s simply too much in the air to get into specifics right now.

Quote:
Right when the 2016-’17 campaign comes to a close, fans get to watch the collective heart attack that is the NBA lottery be showcased on national television. In all likelihood, the Lakers will have a slightly worse chance at keeping their own first rounder than the average coin flip that night.

May 16 is not going to be fun.

If they do somehow keep the top-three selection, Pelinka and his staff will get to decide on which prospect best fits what they want to do moving forward. Even further to that point, he and Magic Johnson will have to decide if they want to continue to rebuild around youth at all.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/4/10/15254010/la-lakers-news-rob-pelinka-shares-his-thoughts-on-the-path-forward-rubiks-cube-blah-blah-blah
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject:

Getting to Know: Rob Pelinka

Quote:
On March 7, the Lakers officially named Rob Pelinka their new General Manager, set to work alongside the (nearly-as-new) President of Basketball Operations, Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

The two clicked instantly, and in the press release, Johnson cited Pelinka’s “Knowledge of the NBA landscape and the CBA, as well as his relationships with GMs around the league” as invaluable, adding that “Rob is a winner and the Lakers are fortunate to have him.”

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170410-getting-to-know-rob-pelinka?ls=recent_news
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

First time I heard him talk. He sounds smart as hell.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Yup. I said this in the exit interview thread, but this is the guy that needs to exclusively be the FO's mouthpiece going forward. No more (bleep) from Jeannie and Magic...

I like the way he handled the question about Jeannie's stupid comment regarding her broken heart over not having an All-Star next year. She seriously sounded like a little girl who wanted a new doll for Christmas, as if Rob and Magic can just go to a Toys'R'Us and buy a Paul George off the shelf.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Serena Winters: Related: Rob Pelinka also noted that non-playoff teams can already start to entertain trade discussions… twitter.com/SerenaWinters/… 5 hours ago – via Twitter SerenaWinters
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

He is. He was one of the sharper agents out there, and apparently a beast to negotiate with. Hopefully that serves him well.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
tox wrote:

Yup. I said this in the exit interview thread, but this is the guy that needs to exclusively be the FO's mouthpiece going forward. No more (bleep) from Jeannie and Magic...

I like the way he handled the question about Jeannie's stupid comment regarding her broken heart over not having an All-Star next year. She seriously sounded like a little girl who wanted a new doll for Christmas, as if Rob and Magic can just go to a Toys'R'Us and buy a Paul George off the shelf.

Agreed. He's more engaging than Kupchak but also projects the pragmatism. And he obviously doesn't speak in appeals to nostalgia and emotion like Jeanie and Magic.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:

He is. He was one of the sharper agents out there, and apparently a beast to negotiate with. Hopefully that serves him well.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Serena Winters: Related: Rob Pelinka also noted that non-playoff teams can already start to entertain trade discussions… twitter.com/SerenaWinters/… 5 hours ago – via Twitter SerenaWinters

More realistic for the trade talks to take place during June when the draft is coming up... unless we can find a way to trade Deng then that might speed the process up.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:

Yeah man. I'm optimistic about having Pelinka on board.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject:

i think lakers have Rob to replace Mitch may because he is better better in contract negotiation. Mitch did some bad jobs in Moz and Deng's contracts. With our young players are going to entile for extension in coming 2-3 years, it is very important to keep them at right price while maintain salary flexibility. For the draft, i think West is taking care that department
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

gblews wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
A lot of people saying he wouldn't leave his agency to be a yes man to Magic. So far that's what it sounds like he will be, or maybe it's just me getting that vibe.

Why would Magic hire a guy for the GM job who had a completely different vision for the Lakers than his own? On the other hand, why would Pelinka have accepted a job working for a guy whose vision for the Lakers is completely different from his own? My point is, you might be mistaking uniformity of vision (a good thing, IMO), with Pelinka being a "yes man".

The president/gm approach in effect hands much of the ownership's role to the president, it's a fair bit like owning a company and choosing someone else to be the chairman whilst you take a step back, and then he/his board selects the new ceo.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:

Hope so because he reminds me of Lumberg from Office Space a little.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 7 of 243
Jump to: