OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Kjj10697X wrote:
LKA wrote:
danzag wrote:
We draft the player the Pelicans want. We sign him the 1st of July. We trade him the 1st of August.

Why would NO be cool with doing this?

For those posters being so negative about the possible no max because of Pelinkas incompetence, think about this. If you are negotiating for something with value up to 30 million dollars, you think you would fail to discuss schedule? Heck, I negotiate with contractors for 30,000 and we always talk about how it would affect the project schedule.

It’s highly unlikely that Pelinka didn’t mention his requirement to keep the max slot at the beginning of the negotiations. These people make millions not thousands like we do. They are operating at a higher level than we are. Have patience. I am pretty confident we have the max slot.

Half the people here are 13 year olds that have no idea what contractual law is. They listen to these idiots create hate towards the Lakers, as if they had never been in contract law. For those who don't know Rob Pelinka is a lawyer who's expertise is in contractual law is been known for years. He had to know all the in and outs when his agency represented top NBA clients in million dollar deals.
Do you think this guy has no experience in how contracts are worded and prepared? This is what bothers me about reading stuff on this forum. I just see how Gullible people are when it comes to hearing stuff from ESPN, Fox sports etc. News networks are there to create sensationalized head lines so people keep listening as it grabs their attention and follow like idiotic lambs.

There's no reasonable argument for quibbling over 24 days and $4 to $8 million. None. I feel like folks are criticizing the Lakers FO is such a reflex for many people at this point that they've lost sight of things. When Maginka took over two years ago, I said that if they could deliver two stars like they promised they would be a success. Pelinka is the only one left and he delivered. There's still work to be done, but this team is the best position it has been in in about 10 years. This is something to celebrate.

Yeah, I was legitimately shocked how gullible nearly everyone was acting yesterday instantly going into an all out Rob bash in all threads haha.. Nice to see some people actually thinking before freaking out today though.. It's all good to be a little concerned how the team will end up but to act like Rob just dun goofed on one of the biggest factors of the entire trade is a bit overkill and as click bait as it gets.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
A major part of why the delay is a problem is that if we wait until the the 31st, the #4 pick is going to miss Summer League. That is gonna be a real problem, especially if the Pelicans are trying to flip the pick to another team

I doubt any team drafting 4th pick for long term is concerned about him missing summer league

And I doubt Klutch was planning to play Garland in SL in the first place.

I look at the trade like this a little.

What would we be saying if we

- kept Hart? (Fair Trade)
- or kept the last 2 Firsts? (Fair Trade)
- or kept the #4 (We just fleeced them)
- or kept Zo (I know numerically impossible, but Rob is the greatest of all time and Ervin was clearly the problem)

I look at the trade a lot like this.

WE GOT AD, Kept Kuz, AND still have major room to play with. If someone would have told me all of this comes true towards the end of Jim era or if someone would have told me this when we didn't even know if we were going to keep the #2 for Zo I'd have asked them for a hit.

#BannersOverBillboards
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Woj is right WAAAAAAAY more often then he's wrong. He's made a living on being right. ESPN fired a whole division of insiders and replaced them with WOJ because he got all the scoops before them.

So I don't think anybody is an idiot for believing him.

But I hope he's wrong and we get that 31 mill in cap space along with AD.
Saw someone in this thread downplay the importance of losing 4-8 mill in cap space. I could probably fill a whole page of this thread with impact players that have signed in free agency within that range of money. Wanting that cap space is more than reasonable.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
A major part of why the delay is a problem is that if we wait until the the 31st, the #4 pick is going to miss Summer League. That is gonna be a real problem, especially if the Pelicans are trying to flip the pick to another team

I doubt any team drafting 4th pick for long term is concerned about him missing summer league

And I doubt Klutch was planning to play Garland in SL in the first place.

I look at the trade like this a little.

What would we be saying if we

- kept Hart? (Fair Trade)
- or kept the last 2 Firsts? (Fair Trade)
- or kept the #4 (We just fleeced them)
- or kept Zo (I know numerically impossible, but Rob is the greatest of all time and Ervin was clearly the problem)

I look at the trade a lot like this.

WE GOT AD, Kept Kuz, AND still have major room to play with. If someone would have told me all of this comes true towards the end of Jim era or if someone would have told me this when we didn't even know if we were going to keep the #2 for Zo I'd have asked them for a hit.

If we can walk into a KL meeting and offer a max contract, this trade was more than Fair because we got AD and became a max FA destination. If we can only offer 24, the trade was an over-pay but mission accomplished - golf clap.
Ingram14
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
KBH wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Kjj10697X wrote:
LKA wrote:
danzag wrote:
We draft the player the Pelicans want. We sign him the 1st of July. We trade him the 1st of August.

For those posters being so negative about the possible no max because of Pelinkas incompetence, think about this. If you are negotiating for something with value up to 30 million dollars, you think you would fail to discuss schedule? Heck, I negotiate with contractors for 30,000 and we always talk about how it would affect the project schedule.

It’s highly unlikely that Pelinka didn’t mention his requirement to keep the max slot at the beginning of the negotiations. These people make millions not thousands like we do. They are operating at a higher level than we are. Have patience. I am pretty confident we have the max slot.

Half the people here are 13 year olds that have no idea what contractual law is. They listen to these idiots create hate towards the Lakers, as if they had never been in contract law. For those who don't know Rob Pelinka is a lawyer who's expertise is in contractual law is been known for years. He had to know all the in and outs when his agency represented top NBA clients in million dollar deals.
Do you think this guy has no experience in how contracts are worded and prepared? This is what bothers me about reading stuff on this forum. I just see how Gullible people are when it comes to hearing stuff from ESPN, Fox sports etc. News networks are there to create sensationalized head lines so people keep listening as it grabs their attention and follow like idiotic lambs.

There's no reasonable argument for quibbling over 24 days and $4 to $8 million. None. I feel like folks are criticizing the Lakers FO is such a reflex for many people at this point that they've lost sight of things. When Maginka took over two years ago, I said that if they could deliver two stars like they promised they would be a success. Pelinka is the only one left and he delivered. There's still work to be done, but this team is the best position it has been in in about 10 years. This is something to celebrate.

Yeah, I was legitimately shocked how gullible nearly everyone was acting yesterday instantly going into an all out Rob bash in all threads haha.. Nice to see some people actually thinking before freaking out today though.. It's all good to be a little concerned how the team will end up but to act like Rob just dun goofed on one of the biggest factors of the entire trade is a bit overkill and as click bait as it gets.

Ya we have 2 of the top 7 (maybe) in the league, are favored to win a chip and people are focusing on “Aw they screwed up man...should have negotiated 7/6 vs 7/20! We’re doomed!!”.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
If we can walk into a KL meeting and offer a max contract, this trade was more than Fair because we got AD and became a max FA destination. If we can only offer 24, the trade was an over-pay but mission accomplished - golf clap.

Agreed.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Kjj10697X wrote:
LKA wrote:
danzag wrote:

The only sheep on this thread is you for believing all of Pelinkas truthful 😂Batman Kobe Story’s!!! Talk about Gullibe 🤣
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:
LKA wrote:
danzag wrote:

Lol I'm not one of them I trust Pelinka but based off everything that's being said it's getting harder and harder to believe that we will be able to sign a 3rd max
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Magic when trade was announced:

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1140040818394140674

Quote:
And the Lakers still have over $30 million of cap space to spend on free agents starting June 30th.

He knows/thinks Lakers have $30 million after getting AD.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
And the Lakers still have over $30 million of cap space to spend on free agents starting June 30th.

LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:

$30m doesn't = max space though.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:

$30m doesn't = max space though.

he said 'over' but Magic doesn't seem to be a details person and he's impossible to trust at this point.

#BannersOverBillboards
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject:

Magic had no reason to learn the CBA prior to getting the POBO position. He might have gained knowledge of some of the basic concepts during his two years in the FO, but I don't have him as the type to do a deep dive into the CBA.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Magic had no reason to learn the CBA prior to getting the POBO position. He might have gained knowledge of some of the basic concepts during his two years in the FO, but I don't have him as the type to do a deep dive into the CBA.

IIRC, he visited the league office and had a deep dive session on the intricacies of the CBA early in his tenure as POBO.

That doesn't mean his tweet was accurate.

Reminds of when Kobe signed his deal and he tweeted about how much cap room the Lakers had left with the hash tag #mitchissharp

It made me cringe.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject:

Seems to me Magic wouldn't even bother to mention something like that unless someone told him, probably someone in the front office, but I don't know.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject:

Relying on Magic
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject:

Are these even his tweets or does he hire someone to pump out this garbage? It defies logic that he would not know the correct number.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

"There are remedies. The Pelicans could in theory demand more for agreeing to the July 30 timetable. (How fantastic would that be -- a sequel of sorts to the dragged-out Isaiah Thomas saga of two summers ago?) The Lakers could toss Moritz Wagner and Isaac Bonga into this deal, or others, though doing so would not open cap space equal to their combined salaries; the league applies a $900,000 cap charge to every open roster spot." - Zach Lowe

How sure is Lowe that we haven't already paid more just so Griffin would agree to July 30? Perhaps the price for agreeing to move the deal to July 30 was the extra 1st round pick and pick swap in 2024.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
"There are remedies. The Pelicans could in theory demand more for agreeing to the July 30 timetable. (How fantastic would that be -- a sequel of sorts to the dragged-out Isaiah Thomas saga of two summers ago?) The Lakers could toss Moritz Wagner and Isaac Bonga into this deal, or others, though doing so would not open cap space equal to their combined salaries; the league applies a $900,000 cap charge to every open roster spot." - Zach Lowe

How sure is Lowe that we haven't already paid more just so Griffin would agree to July 30? Perhaps the price for agreeing to move the deal to July 30 was the extra 1st round pick and pick swap in 2024.

I don’t think anyone knows for sure. But it is discouraging when a person like Tania reports something similar to what Woj was saying. Everyone else is just working off of what Woj and Tania have said, I think.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Woj is right WAAAAAAAY more often then he's wrong. He's made a living on being right. ESPN fired a whole division of insiders and replaced them with WOJ because he got all the scoops before them.

So I don't think anybody is an idiot for believing him.

But I hope he's wrong and we get that 31 mill in cap space along with AD.
Saw someone in this thread downplay the importance of losing 4-8 mill in cap space. I could probably fill a whole page of this thread with impact players that have signed in free agency within that range of money. Wanting that cap space is more than reasonable.

Yup, but when he tweets something that isn't in our favor he's a hater.

There was little to no indication all season Kawhi wanted to join the Lakers but since we got AD suddenly a lot people can't imagine why he wouldn't.

I hope this is one of those times Woj is wrong as well but he's not hater because his sources, instincts or Magic 8 ball are telling him otherwise.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

IIRC, he visited the league office and had a deep dive session on the intricacies of the CBA early in his tenure as POBO.

That doesn't mean his tweet was accurate.

Reminds of when Kobe signed his deal and he tweeted about how much cap room the Lakers had left with the hash tag #mitchissharp

It made me cringe.

Okay.

I should have specified in the sense of a strong desire to be reasonably decent with the CBA. If his hours in the FO were limited, then he might not have been devoting much time to stay sharp with what he learned when visiting the league office.

Pelinka was the designated person to do the heavy lifting with contracts, salary cap and the CBA. They also hired Marshall Rader as another person to work in those areas.

Quote:

Salary Cap & CBA Analyst of the Los Angeles Lakers since 2018-2019 (Hired).

Basketball Operations Administrative Assistant of the San Antonio Spurs from 2015-2016 (Hired) to 2017-2018.

Basketball Operations Intern of the Indiana Pacers from 2014-2015 (Hired) to 2014-2015 (Resigned).

Basketball Operations Intern of the San Antonio Spurs from 2013-2014 (Hired) to 2013-2014 (Resigned).
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

Still unreal to me that Pelinka did not negotiate this, effectively ruining our chance for a max player (we have been trying to get this max capspace for YEARS). The man should be fired.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
Still unreal to me that Pelinka did not negotiate this, effectively ruining our chance for a max player (we have been trying to get this max capspace for YEARS). The man should be fired.

The cap space was supposed to be for a second star and we got one. Now we have enough for a third one or two or three solid role players.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
where24happens wrote:

The cap space was supposed to be for a second star and we got one. Now we have enough for a third one or two or three solid role players.

But per all reports out there, we don't have enough for a third star (Kemba/Kyrie/Kawhi/Butler are not going to take a big discount), which we would've had if Rob simply negotiated the July 30 closing date. People on this forum knew this way in advance, how did our front office not ensure this after the haul of draft picks and swaps we gave up? Gross incompetence in my book.
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
where24happens wrote:

But per all reports out there, we don't have enough for a third star (Kemba/Kyrie/Kawhi/Butler are not going to take a big discount), which we would've had if Rob simply negotiated the July 30 closing date. People on this forum knew this way in advance, how did our front office not ensure this after the haul of draft picks and swaps we gave up? Gross incompetence in my book.

I don't get it. How does any of the reporters know what was negotiated for the date? Were any of them in the meetings with Pelinka and Griffin? I would just hang tight until July 6th. If the Lakers sign the 4th pick then we know the answer. Until then, no use trying to figure it out. Nobody knows except for Pelinka and Griffin.

This is just a case of everyone thinking they know more than the Lakers and Pelican's GM. If Woj was omniscient, then the Lakers should have hired him. He knows nothing at the moment and neither does anyone else in the media. It's speculation and negative press at the moment.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 70 of 243
Jump to: