OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
MJST wrote:

Serena Winters‏ @SerenaWinters
One more thing I learned from that interview, Rob Pelinka went cage diving with Great White Sharks in Guadalupe with Kobe Bryant

As if.

Kobe ain't in no cage. Them sharks maybe.

Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

The Charter Cable Rob Lowe.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

NBA Agents Weigh In On Pelinka:

LINK

Quote:
Agent No. 1: “Initially, I thought it was going to be awkward. When they announced that Rob was getting the Lakers’ job, I didn’t know what to think. I had never talked to him – not because there was any bad blood between us, but just because we never had a reason to connect. But ever since the first time that we talked since he took the job, I could not be more of a fan of ‘GM Rob Pelinka.’ He’s amazing. And he’s so considerate because he kind of understands where we’re coming from as agents. He knows our side of the business, and I think actually gives him a leg up in terms of dealing with all of us. He’s been nothing but professional and has done an excellent job with the transition into his new role. With Bob Myers and Justin Zanik, it was the same way. I’ve talked to them a few times since they made the transition from agent to executive. All of those guys are just extremely understanding and more attuned to what we’re dealing with. They also know the language we use, how we operate and how we think. To be honest, I think it actually helps in certain situations. I’m obviously not saying that you need to have agent experience to be an excellent executive, but I don’t think it’s a hindrance in any way.”

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

LINK

Quote:
Agent No. 1: “Initially, I thought it was going to be awkward. When they announced that Rob was getting the Lakers’ job, I didn’t know what to think. I had never talked to him – not because there was any bad blood between us, but just because we never had a reason to connect. But ever since the first time that we talked since he took the job, I could not be more of a fan of ‘GM Rob Pelinka.’ He’s amazing. And he’s so considerate because he kind of understands where we’re coming from as agents. He knows our side of the business, and I think actually gives him a leg up in terms of dealing with all of us. He’s been nothing but professional and has done an excellent job with the transition into his new role. With Bob Myers and Justin Zanik, it was the same way. I’ve talked to them a few times since they made the transition from agent to executive. All of those guys are just extremely understanding and more attuned to what we’re dealing with. They also know the language we use, how we operate and how we think. To be honest, I think it actually helps in certain situations. I’m obviously not saying that you need to have agent experience to be an excellent executive, but I don’t think it’s a hindrance in any way.”

First step in getting quality players is showing there agents that you can work in the NBA landscape, so reading that is refreshing
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

LINK

Quote:

Absolutely loved that; I don't recall hearing those type of sentiments for the previous guys.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
ocho wrote:

LINK

Quote:

Absolutely loved that; I don't recall hearing those type of sentiments for the previous guys.

Hopefully he can get us out of the doldrums and take us to another level.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
ocho wrote:

LINK

Quote:

I'll be honest. I had a kind of blind trust in Mitch before he was let go. Some of the moves he made were great, but there's this growing sense that this was a move (for the right guy) that had to be made.

I think he'll be a lot more creative in cap & trade matters.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
ocho wrote:

LINK

Quote:

I'll be honest. I had a kind of blind trust in Mitch before he was let go. Some of the moves he made were great, but there's this growing sense that this was a move (for the right guy) that had to be made.

I liked Mitch but I think his time had come and gone. It was time to put him out to pasture. Rob will do well.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
ocho wrote:

LINK

Quote:

I liked Mitch but I think his time had come and gone. It was time to put him out to pasture. Rob will do well.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

We will see how large the growth curve will be.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

I'm not concerned with Pelinka's ability to negotiate or deal with other executives. I'm concerned about his ability to evaluate talent, both in terms of team building and the draft. If you overvalue a player, you can agree to some pretty bad deals not knowing you got the worse end of it. Say what you will about Mitch, but I'm not sure there is another team who has drafted better than us (given where our picks were at) over the last three years. That's a standard Pelinka/Magic will have to match, while being better than Mitch at trades and free agency. Not easy, and those skills have very little to do with being an agent.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I'm not concerned with Pelinka's ability to negotiate or deal with other executives. I'm concerned about his ability to evaluate talent, both in terms of team building and the draft. If you overvalue a player, you can agree to some pretty bad deals not knowing you got the worse end of it. Say what you will about Mitch, but I'm not sure there is another team who has drafted better than us (given where our picks were at) over the last three years. That's a standard Pelinka/Magic will have to match, while being better than Mitch at trades and free agency. Not easy, and those skills have very little to do with being an agent.

I believe Pelinka's role is not identifying the talent, but doing the business part of the equation, making things happen. I think Magic alongside the coaching staff are going to be the guys choosing who we should go after while Pelinka will point cap restrictions, long term impact of the deals and negotiate with teams, players and agents under current CBA.

I may be completely wrong, but that is the impression I got.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I believe Pelinka's role is not identifying the talent, but doing the business part of the equation, making things happen. I think Magic alongside the coaching staff are going to be the guys choosing who we should go after while Pelinka will point cap restrictions, long term impact of the deals and negotiate with teams, players and agents under current CBA.

And here's where things get a bit convoluted. If it's not Pelinka's role to evaluate talent, that leaves Magic. The problem for many, I'll wait before I draw any conclusions, is that Magic doesn't strike many of us as an expert on judging talent.

I could be wrong, but he strikes me as someone who gets excited about a great game or two, but may be challenged to follow and evaluate a players' entire body of work, which could lead to shortsightedness.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

And here's where things get a bit convoluted. If it's not Pelinka's role to evaluate talent, that leaves Magic. The problem for many, I'll wait before I draw any conclusions, is that Magic doesn't strike many of us as an expert on judging talent.

I could be wrong, but he strikes me as someone who gets excited about a great game or two, but may be challenged to follow and evaluate a players' entire body of work, which could lead to shortsightedness.

Magic + Coaching/Scouting staffs.

I believe Pelinka is the guy to point the salary cap implications of the deals avoiding another Deng/Mozgov fiasco.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It only seems convoluted if we completely ignore the new regime's approach, which is collaborative decision-making. Magic won't be off doing his own thing by himself while Pelinka is off in his own little isolated corner. Everyone will have a say and be able to give input on things, including Luke, which should ease people's concerns about Magic and/or Pelinka's ability to evaluate players. Ryan West and Joey and Jesse Buss will be heavily involved as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It only seems convoluted if we completely ignore the new regime's approach, which is collaborative decision-making. Magic won't be off doing his own thing by himself while Pelinka is off in his own little isolated corner. Everyone will have a say and be able to give input on things, including Luke, which should ease people's concerns about Magic and/or Pelinka's ability to evaluate players. Ryan West and Joey and Jesse Buss will be heavily involved as well.

There has to be someone who makes the final decision. It was Mitch before, we will see who it will be with this group.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

pelinka, magic, jeanie.

look

it don't matter who it is. we need someone to give julius randle a place to play with his medicine ball. laker life isn't about working out in front of an am-pm
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Deng and Mozgov say hello.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

There has to be someone who makes the final decision. It was Mitch before, we will see who it will be with this group.

Of course someone has to make the final decisions. It just annoys me when people act like Magic will be autonomous or something. The decisions will reflect the thinking of their committee.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

^Which is no different than it was with Mitch. Mitch, Jim, Jesse Buss, Ryan West, and others all had their voices heard. Still, Mitch made the final call. Ultimately, that final voice is the one that matters and that final voice here will be Pelinka, just as Mitch used to be it. Hopefully, Pelinka is just as good or better.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Of course someone has to make the final decisions. It just annoys me when people act like Magic will be autonomous or something. The decisions will reflect the thinking of their committee.

I agree that it is difficult complaining about Magic's decisions when he hasn't made any. Mitch wasn't Mitch when West left, he grew into the job. Let's give Magic and Pelinka that opportunity. Jim Buss didn't grow into his job.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I think Rob has a better eye for talent than a lot of people give him credit for.

Look at his client list. Kobe was obviously further along when he signed with Rob, but in the same way Presti was smart to draft Harden, Pelinka was smart to sign him.

Same with Bosh, Iggy, Drummond, Bradley, Chriss, Hield, etc.

Also- the fact that he's bringing the Lakers into the 21st century in terms of infrastructure for evaluating talent is also a huge mark in his favor. It's crazy that the team that signed Vlade way back when was only using one scout for European prospects last year. That's stunning.

I think Rob is already having a tremendous positive influence and is going to do well.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^Which is no different than it was with Mitch. Mitch, Jim, Jesse Buss, Ryan West, and others all had their voices heard. Still, Mitch made the final call. Ultimately, that final voice is the one that matters and that final voice here will be Pelinka, just as Mitch used to be it. Hopefully, Pelinka is just as good or better.

The bar Mitch set the last few years has been pretty low with regard to roster construction (an area I never thought he was ever distinctive at actually). Confident Rob will easily be better.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

The bar Mitch set the last few years has been pretty low with regard to roster construction (an area I never thought he was ever distinctive at actually). Confident Rob will easily be better.

Then we must be screwed with all of these players like Ingram, Russell, Randle, Zubac, Nance and Clarkson who have absolutely no value in the league. There goes any Paul George trade.

Funny how Mitch was the GM at the time we went from a lottery team in 2005 all the way to a title team four years later... but, yea, Mitch wasn't any good at roster construction.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 10 of 243
Jump to: