OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Rob is already thinking about 2021, hopefully J.Kidd has elite tampering skills to recruit Greek Freak.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject:

The more and more I evaluate the summer, the more I am impressed. Rob has admitted he is learning from past mistakes. This all you can ask for a rookie first time executive. He went from making plenty of mistakes last summer (which is not only on him, I think Magic was the main culprit) to now doing almost exactly what I was hoping for.

I was hoping for either a superstar like Durant (but not an option with an injury) or Kawhi, or major team depth and 3nD role player heavy, around Lebron. I was hoping for a trade for a clear defined 2nd option, who was able to carry a team as a 1st option in situations. For coaching, I was hoping for a guy that would be experienced and be drama free, someone who can just focus on the job at hand. Someone Lebron respected. Luke was just not experienced and never had Lebron's respect.

IMO Pelinka pretty much did everything right this offseason in terms of what he was aiming for, his contingency plans and all. When you go from a team that was in the lottery, to now being one of the top 3 bets to win a title, at worst we are what top 5 in the league for most bets (not that it means we will actually be that good), it shows what type of offseason he had. If it were any other franchise, we would be widely be appreciated and lauded. If it were any other franchise, the media would be kissing Jeanie's and Rob's ass for having a lineup of talent like we have which has both star power (LBJ, Davis, Cousins) 2-way role players (Green, Bradley, McGee, Dudley) and shooters (Daniels, Cook). Even have a young asset that is viewed by the organization as a young player that can become a pillar and star for the franchise (Kuzma). So no love from anyone, which is fine.

Meanwhile Presti hasn't won a ring in 12+ years. Having had Westbrook, Harden, Durant, George, Melo, Oladipo etc. and all lost now for another all out draft pick heavy re-build. Yet not a peep, and no one wants to talk about that massive failure. Everyone loves to brag about how smart the other franchise's executives are. Yet do they win rings? Nope. All I wanted from the new regime vs the old one is a chance to be the Lakers again. A franchise that has some star power, good coaching, and being a threat every year to win. I feel Rob gets this. He gets this is type of way Lakers do it, and draft picks and having that tank mentality is just not the way forward. Let the OKCs of the NBA do it that way. The Lakers have their 2 year window and then they are going to go aggressive in 2021 free agency. I like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The more and more I evaluate the summer, the more I am impressed. Rob has admitted he is learning from past mistakes. This all you can ask for a rookie first time executive. He went from making plenty of mistakes last summer (which is not only on him, I think Magic was the main culprit) to now doing almost exactly what I was hoping for.

I was hoping for either a superstar like Durant (but not an option with an injury) or Kawhi, or major team depth and 3nD role player heavy, around Lebron. I was hoping for a trade for a clear defined 2nd option, who was able to carry a team as a 1st option in situations. For coaching, I was hoping for a guy that would be experienced and be drama free, someone who can just focus on the job at hand. Someone Lebron respected. Luke was just not experienced and never had Lebron's respect.

IMO Pelinka pretty much did everything right this offseason in terms of what he was aiming for, his contingency plans and all. When you go from a team that was in the lottery, to now being one of the top 3 bets to win a title, at worst we are what top 5 in the league for most bets (not that it means we will actually be that good), it shows what type of offseason he had. If it were any other franchise, we would be widely be appreciated and lauded. If it were any other franchise, the media would be kissing Jeanie's and Rob's ass for having a lineup of talent like we have which has both star power (LBJ, Davis, Cousins) 2-way role players (Green, Bradley, McGee, Dudley) and shooters (Daniels, Cook). Even have a young asset that is viewed by the organization as a young player that can become a pillar and star for the franchise (Kuzma). So no love from anyone, which is fine.

Meanwhile Presti hasn't won a ring in 12+ years. Having had Westbrook, Harden, Durant, George, Melo, Oladipo etc. and all lost now for another all out draft pick heavy re-build. Yet not a peep, and no one wants to talk about that massive failure. Everyone loves to brag about how smart the other franchise's executives are. Yet do they win rings? Nope. All I wanted from the new regime vs the old one is a chance to be the Lakers again. A franchise that has some star power, good coaching, and being a threat every year to win. I feel Rob gets this. He gets this is type of way Lakers do it, and draft picks and having that tank mentality is just not the way forward. Let the OKCs of the NBA do it that way. The Lakers have their 2 year window and then they are going to go aggressive in 2021 free agency. I like it.

Well said, wolfpac.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The downside side of the AD trade was that we had to trade nearly every young player. Not that we chose to, that we had to. If we would have had a $12-15 mil player to throw into the deal we likely could have kept a young player or two. Would you prefer to have Hart instead of Rondo? Hell yes. That is where Pelinka lacks the necessary vision. Look at the contract that the Clippers gave Zubac. That screams future trade filler.

Hart and Zubac are afterthoughts VLF and I like them both.

But we need guys ready now and it is very debatable that either of those guys would even break the rotation of our current roster. I wouldn't play either if we had them and I was Vogie with the other guys we have under contract.

Kuzma is ready now but Hart isn’t? But that totally misses the point. Iggy is out there, what do we have to trade for him? Nothing. Yet other teams have paid players so that they have salaries to include in trades. We lack that foresight. Zu might not be a player to hang onto but if his salary gets the Clippers the salary needed in an Iggy trade, signing him to that contract was brilliant.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

toffee wrote:
Rob is already thinking about 2021, hopefully J.Kidd has elite tampering skills to recruit Greek Freak.

Keep the dream alive
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I tend to agree the sentiment another forum brought up. Presti is white and from Sp*rs so hes given benefit of the doubt but hes been horrible. Lost 3 MVP players and has nothing to show for it. Most other GMs woulda been fired after the terrible harden trade
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The downside side of the AD trade was that we had to trade nearly every young player. Not that we chose to, that we had to. If we would have had a $12-15 mil player to throw into the deal we likely could have kept a young player or two. Would you prefer to have Hart instead of Rondo? Hell yes. That is where Pelinka lacks the necessary vision. Look at the contract that the Clippers gave Zubac. That screams future trade filler.

But we need guys ready now and it is very debatable that either of those guys would even break the rotation of our current roster. I wouldn't play either if we had them and I was Vogie with the other guys we have under contract.

Kuzma is ready now but Hart isn’t? But that totally misses the point. Iggy is out there, what do we have to trade for him? Nothing. Yet other teams have paid players so that they have salaries to include in trades. We lack that foresight. Zu might not be a player to hang onto but if his salary gets the Clippers the salary needed in an Iggy trade, signing him to that contract was brilliant.

The Clippers would have to trade their starting center as well as Harkless and a 1st round pick for a 35 year old backup small forward. The Clippers don't have any first round picks to trade until 2028 because they gave up 7 picks for a player coming off a major shoulder injury as well as surgery to the other shoulder who may not even be ready to play until December. You consider that brilliant?

The Lakers would have to give up Green, Cook and a 1st rounder for Iggy which also wouldn't be wise. If the Lakers had $17 million worth of dead weight contracts to the point where trading it for Iggy would be an upgrade, that would mean Pelinka did a terrible job building the team. Our entire frontcourt aside from AD as well as Cook and Bradley make less than that combined. There's a reason he hasn't been traded yet. He's still a buyout candidate with strong ties to Pelinka that could be had for the minimum.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
toffee wrote:

Keep the dream alive

That's the beauty of being a Lakers fan, we can always dream bigger than any other fan base

Not only that J.Kidd can help us in 2021, we also must involve Kobe in the pursuit of Giannis.

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-story-behind-giannis-antetokounmpos-first-nike-signature-sneaker/

Quote:
Giannis will never forget the day Thanasis returned home with boxes containing prized possessions that had been hard to come by during their childhood. To provide for their family, Charles worked as a handyman and Veronica sold goods on the streets of Athens, often joined by their sons. “Our parents gave us whatever they had, and it got the job done,” Thanasis says. “But we didn’t have a lot of money.”

So basketball shoes, especially new ones, were a luxury.

“I remember … he had a pair of these Kobes,” Giannis says. “Those are the shoes I wanted.” But Thanasis big bro’d Giannis, calling dibs on a coveted red and white pair of Kobe Bryant’s signature Nike Kobe 4s. “Thanasis was like, ‘You can have the ugly pair,’ ” Giannis recalls, “the heavy ones.” Of course, the younger Antetokounmpo brother accepted the sneakers and played in them. But he also plotted a way to get his feet in those Kobes.

When Thanasis fell asleep, or left the shoes at home, Giannis would take them to go practice. He’d make the trek from his family’s home in the Sepolia neighborhood of northwest Athens to the Filathlitikos gym in Zografou. The journey was approximately 4 miles on foot each way, but lacing up the Kobe 4s was worth every step and bit of wrath he’d face from Thanasis when he found out his little brother was wearing his shoes.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I agree. Last year, the Rondo 9M one year deal (coming off of a 3m contract) versus ultimately not retaining Randle via QO or Lopez via Bird Rights using that same 9M on controllable contracts didn't make any sense.... Zubac for Muscala was equally short sighted - more skill in those choices would have given way more options to constructing the AD trade...
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Got to give props to Rob for being a players GM to a certain point. I liked him including AD on what type of players he was zeroing in on with his waived 4 million. That’s a good quality to have IMO. Also filled out a solid plan B.
Samoji
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Well said, wolfpac.

Very well said! Really don't get the double standard, the price of greatness for the Lakers
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject:

toffee wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
toffee wrote:

Keep the dream alive

That's the beauty of being a Lakers fan, we can always dream bigger than any other fan base

Not only that J.Kidd can help us in 2021, we also must involve Kobe in the pursuit of Giannis.

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-story-behind-giannis-antetokounmpos-first-nike-signature-sneaker/

Quote:
Giannis will never forget the day Thanasis returned home with boxes containing prized possessions that had been hard to come by during their childhood. To provide for their family, Charles worked as a handyman and Veronica sold goods on the streets of Athens, often joined by their sons. “Our parents gave us whatever they had, and it got the job done,” Thanasis says. “But we didn’t have a lot of money.”

So basketball shoes, especially new ones, were a luxury.

“I remember … he had a pair of these Kobes,” Giannis says. “Those are the shoes I wanted.” But Thanasis big bro’d Giannis, calling dibs on a coveted red and white pair of Kobe Bryant’s signature Nike Kobe 4s. “Thanasis was like, ‘You can have the ugly pair,’ ” Giannis recalls, “the heavy ones.” Of course, the younger Antetokounmpo brother accepted the sneakers and played in them. But he also plotted a way to get his feet in those Kobes.

When Thanasis fell asleep, or left the shoes at home, Giannis would take them to go practice. He’d make the trek from his family’s home in the Sepolia neighborhood of northwest Athens to the Filathlitikos gym in Zografou. The journey was approximately 4 miles on foot each way, but lacing up the Kobe 4s was worth every step and bit of wrath he’d face from Thanasis when he found out his little brother was wearing his shoes.

Im pretty sure Freak loves Milwaukee where he can't even get resto privileges.

VLF said before we will never get AD.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

Hell will go cold the day VLF says something positive about the Lakers
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

Biggest difference between him and Magic is that Rob was prepared for this FA's market. Last year Magic was full of crap talking and preparing for PG that finally his only solutions was to extend KCP and sign Lance and Beasley. Rob is better for FO. Magic should be a fan promoting Lakers for his sister Jeannie. Thats it.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

Dont think Giannis will leave..

Seems like a loyal kid that will stay with the Bucks unless he needs to leave....
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Biggest difference between him and Magic is that Rob was prepared for this FA's market. Last year Magic was full of crap talking and preparing for PG that finally his only solutions was to extend KCP and sign Lance and Beasley. Rob is better for FO. Magic should be a fan promoting Lakers for his sister Jeannie. Thats it.

Magic has always been overrated as an exec imo. I mean how difficult to run movie theaters and burger joints in LA? Not rocket science I would think.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

Davis age:

2020 - 26
2021 - 27
2022 - 28
2023 - 29
2024 - 30
2025 - 31
2026 - 32
2027 - 33
2028 - 34
2029 - 35

we will have 10 years with a top 5 player, after LBJ leaves players will die to join Davis.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:

Seems like a loyal kid that will stay with the Bucks unless he needs to leave....

Never thought Kawhi, AD, KD, or Westbrook would leave also.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
Davis age:

2020 - 26
2021 - 27
2022 - 28
2023 - 29
2024 - 30
2025 - 31
2026 - 32
2027 - 33
2028 - 34
2029 - 35

we will have 10 years with a top 5 player, after LBJ leaves players will die to join Davis.

Can’t plan that far ahead or have this expectation.
I view him more along the lines of Pau, getting a better version of Pau (and that’s saying something). If we build the right teams around him such as we did this coming year, we are going to have a shot to win a title or two until he is 31-32. That’s all you can really ask for. 5 years .... go all in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:
Davis age:

2020 - 26
2021 - 27
2022 - 28
2023 - 29
2024 - 30
2025 - 31
2026 - 32
2027 - 33
2028 - 34
2029 - 35

Can’t plan that far ahead or have this expectation.
I view him more along the lines of Pau, getting a better version of Pau (and that’s saying something). If we build the right teams around him such as we did this coming year, we are going to have a shot to win a title or two until he is 31-32. That’s all you can really ask for. 5 years .... go all in.

His game should age nicely..I could see him losing a bit of his bounce, but playing a more Horford like role at ages 33-35, which is still an all star quality big. Love how Rob is prioritizing building around AD as our long term priority.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:

Never thought Kawhi, AD, KD, or Westbrook would leave also.

Once he suffers back-to-back Finals losses, in '20 & '21, to the Los Angeles Lakers; he will be more than happy to leave Milwaukee.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

Pelinka (and also Magic) have completely changed the direction of the Lakers.
The original plan was to develop the young core. And wait a few years until they develop. There is no young core anymore.
With the acquisition of Lebron and AD the direction is win now. So the Lakers will have to be willing to spend money to win. The CBA rules make it hard to spend for worthwhile players.
But if Lebron lasts 3 more years at all star playing it will be worth it.
At least the Lakers should finally get into the playoffs after a 6 year drought.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

The 11th Commandment

Thou shalt not criticize Saint Pelinka as he leads us from the abyss through the Valley of Fire to the eternal grace of the Promised Land
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Samoji wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Well said, wolfpac.

Very well said! Really don't get the double standard, the price of greatness for the Lakers

Very well said x10000. No Laker fan can complain this time around. This is a really well built team. Pelinka worked very hard this off season so I will give him all the props. Magic never worked hard and expected the praise. Rob was quietly working the phones all summer. Props to him!!!!
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Samoji wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Well said, wolfpac.

Very well said x10000. No Laker fan can complain this time around. This is a really well built team. Pelinka worked very hard this off season so I will give him all the props. Magic never worked hard and expected the praise. Rob was quietly working the phones all summer. Props to him!!!!

Well said, Wolfy. Like some people cannot exist without drama IRL, either being around it or causing it when there's none to be around... similarly, some fans just cannot exist without finding things to complain about. Some always think the grass is greener on the other side, some think they know better (when they really don't), and some just have a void that needs to be filled.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 94 of 243
Jump to: