OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
We don’t know much about Rob because this is a Klutch organization.

All we know about Rob is that he works his ass off and is a former agent that seems to have players’ respect. He probably does all the grinding work for Klutch, which is still valuable because I’m guessing cap management and knowing all the rules is probably not something Klutch is too interested in...but it’s obvious Lebron and AD heavily influence all personnel decisions.

Crazy right and they're our two stars. Unheard of in the league.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing lol.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Letting go of Howard and DG was a huge mistake. And then trading for this primadonna Schroeder who is a terrible fit for the team. I don't want to see anymore moves from him. He's like Magic 2.0. Well, now we have no young talents left for him to throw away so I guess he couldn't possibly screw up that badly. Or could he?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Letting go of Howard and DG was a huge mistake. I don't want to see anymore moves from him. He's like Magic 2.0. Well, now we have no young talents left for him to throw away so I guess he couldn't possibly screw up that badly. Or could he?

I’m not really that upset about losing Danny Green as much as I am with losing Howard, yeah Howard might have lost a step this year.. but he still could have made a bigger difference then guys like Drummond and Gasol.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Letting go of Howard and DG was a huge mistake. I don't want to see anymore moves from him. He's like Magic 2.0. Well, now we have no young talents left for him to throw away so I guess he couldn't possibly screw up that badly. Or could he?

I’m not really that upset about losing Danny Green as much as I am with losing Howard, yeah Howard might have lost a step this year.. but he still could have made a bigger difference then guys like Drummond and Gasol.

We were hurt. We dominated when healthy. He wouldn’t have been playable when bron and ad were hurt
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Letting go of Howard and DG was a huge mistake. And then trading for this primadonna Schroeder who is a terrible fit for the team. I don't want to see anymore moves from him. He's like Magic 2.0. Well, now we have no young talents left for him to throw away so I guess he couldn't possibly screw up that badly. Or could he?

Not necessarily directing this at just you, but why don’t folks realize dude isn’t the 2nd iteration of Magic at the head of basketball ops...he is Magic.

Unless you sincerely believe Magic was the CBA head of the group and worked in clearing cap, Rob seems to be that day to day dude putting in the work to get the numbers to work. Imho Magic was the dude to give the final yes or no to trade options that hit his table. Magic was just a figure head, while Rob was supposed to be the cap head (no Jimbo).

Anyways, we are in this position for a reason. We relied on Bron/AD’s brilliance last year after they had 4 months of reCOVIDry. Had we used up our hoarded cap space for 2 max players and then used our young assets to deal for AD, we would have had our triad of playmakers to help manage each of their loads. Instead our cap management was a missed opportunity.

No 🧢, we didn’t know cap.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Not necessarily directing this at just you, but why don’t folks realize dude isn’t the 2nd iteration of Magic at the head of basketball ops...he is Magic.

Unless you sincerely believe Magic was the CBA head of the group and worked in clearing cap, Rob seems to be that day to day dude putting in the work to get the numbers to work. Imho Magic was the dude to give the final yes or no to trade options that hit his table. Magic was just a figure head, while Rob was supposed to be the cap head (no Jimbo).

Anyways, we are in this position for a reason. We relied on Bron/AD’s brilliance last year after they had 4 months of reCOVIDry. Had we used up our hoarded cap space for 2 max players and then used our young assets to deal for AD, we would have had our triad of playmakers to help manage each of their loads. Instead our cap management was a missed opportunity.

No 🧢, we didn’t know cap.

We got the ring though... year 1 we got the ring.. I wouldn’t acquire AD a different way now looking back on it - because he managed to stay healthy enough to get us the ring - there’s no guarantee if we waited for him in FA, that he would have been healthy this year that he’s on our team.. you get me - the way that we did it worked, and it’s never guaranteed to work with injury prone players..look at these playoffs across the league .

Last edited by Mark10 45 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject:

@Mark: And I wouldn’t trade the ring either. It’s the setup for 17+ and utilizing Bron’s window efficiently in getting their ASAP that is concerning me at the moment.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

We were hurt. We dominated when healthy. He wouldn’t have been playable when bron and ad were hurt

why do you keep saying we dominated when healthy when you know we played easiest schedule and took multiple OT to beat teams like CAVS and DET
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

why do you keep saying we dominated when healthy when you know we played easiest schedule and took multiple OT to beat teams like CAVS and DET

I just go by stats, record our domination on the road
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Last year's team had a higher win percentage than this year's team. Account for injuries and all, last year's team was still better.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Last year's team had a higher win percentage than this year's team. Account for injuries and all, last year's team was still better.

Because AD was better, because this year he was too banged up. First half of last season he was the best defensive player I’ve witnessed with my own eyes.. and then in the bubble he was a scoring machine. This year he came out slow(banged up) , then Bron went down. I think our roster and upside were better this year
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I just go by stats, record our domination on the road

okkkk. Domination?
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Because AD was better, because this year he was too banged up. First half of last season he was the best defensive player I’ve witnessed with my own eyes.. and then in the bubble he was a scoring machine. This year he came out slow(banged up) , then Bron went down. I think our roster and upside were better this year

As a Team we were better last year. This year we have more talent hat doesn't fit.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Dude can only blame himself for being in this situation, but he’s gotta put in work this offseason to still bear fruit from the heavy Bron/AD investment.

It doesn’t help that he really has poor rapport with his colleagues.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1406713034639384579/photo/1

Didn’t get a vote for EOTY and this comes a year after he placed outside the top 5 in dealing for AD.

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/2020/10/exec-results.jpg

FYI: executive of the year is voted entirely by the GM fraternity and has no media input.

This all matters folks if you’re trying to get deals done with other teams.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Dude can only blame himself for being in this situation, but he’s gotta put in work this offseason to still bear fruit from the heavy Bron/AD investment.

Didn’t get a vote for EOTY and this comes a year after he placed outside the top 5 in dealing for AD.

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/2020/10/exec-results.jpg

FYI: executive of the year is voted entirely by the GM fraternity and has no media input.

Well, he isn't respected. What has he done to really be respected? Who has he networked with? And when you have a boss that shuns Jerry West, that really hurts. Especially with how much Jerry West have done for the franchise. Jerry is beloved around the league. When Jerry speaks down on a franchise; like calling it a "shhhh show," that speaks volumes.

Also, breaking up a championship squad after their 1st title doesn't deserve any votes. That was a terrible mistake. He still has a lot to prove, but i'll say aligning his self with Jeanie doesn't make matters better, possibly makes them worst. I don't believe she is loved around the league herself.

We also have him being a sports agent prior, where I read he wasn't that liked. But as a sports agent, your job is to get the best deals for your clients, not to be liked; though, networking is important. We see the difference between Bob Myers and Rob; in terms of likability and respect.

I mean did he earn the position, or was it just one of those "who you know" scenarios? Seems like he was cool with Kobe, Kobe put in a word and Jeanie said "ok" without thinking twice. I digress.... Then, I don't know how many people like Bron and Rich Paul of Klutch. We'll see what happens in free agency. I think Rob has a better shot talking to players and signing them outright in FA than trade.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

As a Team we were better last year. This year we have more talent hat doesn't fit.

Bingo. More chemistry, defined roles, and more BBall IQ.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Well, he isn't respected. What has he done to really be respected? Who has he networked with? And when you have a boss that shuns Jerry West, that really hurts. Especially with how much Jerry West have done for the franchise. Jerry is beloved around the league. When Jerry speaks down on a franchise; like calling it a "shhhh show," that speaks volumes.

Also, breaking up a championship squad after their 1st title doesn't deserve any votes. That was a terrible mistake. He still has a lot to prove, but i'll say aligning his self with Jeanie doesn't make matters better, possibly makes them worst. I don't believe she is loved around the league herself.

We also have him being a sports agent prior, where I read he wasn't that liked. But as a sports agent, your job is to get the best deals for your clients, not to be liked; though, networking is important. We see the difference between Bob Myers and Rob; in terms of likability and respect.

I mean did he earn the position, or was it just one of those "who you know" scenarios? Seems like he was cool with Kobe, Kobe put in a word and Jeanie said "ok" without thinking twice. I digress.... Then, I don't know how many people like Bron and Rich Paul of Klutch. We'll see what happens in free agency. I think Rob has a better shot talking to players and signing them outright in FA than trade.

You guys are funny. He’s a championship GM.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

I don't see him as that. I look at it as the players that he happened to get because he had no other choice with the Kawhi debacle happened to work and the players got a championship, based on Rob's luck, not strategy. They were the best players available and happened to win, but championship GM's have sustainable success, to me. Breaking up a championship squad isn't what a championship GM does. We'll see what he does this off season.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

I don't see him as that. I look at it as the players that he happened to get because he had no other choice with the Kawhi debacle happened to work and the players got a championship, based on Rob's luck, not strategy. They were the best players available and happened to win, but championship GM's have sustainable success, to me. Breaking up a championship squad isn't what a championship GM does. We'll see what he does this off season.

Ok. But he’s a championship GM.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Seeing Rob as a championship GM is not a subjective statement open to interpretation. It is unequivocal fact - as VP of Bball Operations & GM they won the championship.

There’s no factual basis to claim that they won the championship from sheer luck and no strategy. Not a single championship team was crafted from just luck alone. If his strategy was so poor then why did the other contenders come after the same pieces he went after a year later? (McGee in Denver, DG & DH in Phi, AB in Mia, & Rondo in ATL/LAC). There are plenty of GM’s who have broken up championship teams. Our 2010 team was not the same as our 09 team. Having sustainable success in not a guarantee as the largest factor is health. We weren’t healthy this year. Lots of teams have championship talent and not the health and are solely unable to win due to those factors. You could make a case that BKN, GS & LA would all be contenders if they were fully healthy. Then you have to gel as a team which is no guarantee.

Of all the points the JW one pisses me off the most. Jerry Buss made Jerry West. He gave him all the infrastructure, the payroll, the decision making to put together a contender. I give 10x the credit to Jerry Buss than I do JW. At the end of the day, an owner has to hire the right people, pay the checks and luxury task, put his employees in empowered positions and trust their decision making. JB did all of that, he built the greatest brand in sports, sacrificed his ego at many points and revolutionized the NBA to be what it is today. Hell there was no showgirls till Jerry came along and brought the entertainment aspect to the NBA. He is literally on the Mt. Rushmore of sports owners across the world.

Jerry West on the other hand has been incredibly petty since his falling out with Jerry. Even though we employed his son for several years too even after this falling out! He gets attribution credit for the Clippers/Warriors success even though he’s not doing the leg work - he’s an advisor meaning he’s just spouting his opinion. He’s not making the calls to other teams.

Jerry didn’t draft Steph, Jerry didn’t draft Klay & he didnt sign KD. Jerry didn’t bring Kawhi - Kawhi came on his own accord and demanded PG. With all due respect - there is no Jerry West without Jerry Buss. He was fortunate to have an owner and to be in LA and obviously he made an amazing call in drafting Kobe but there is no Kobe if JB doesn’t sign off it and support his decision. Not all owners do - half of them overrule their gm’s or refuse to pay taxes. When it comes to the Lakers, I don’t question that their is bad blood between both parties but I definitely see JW as a bitter petty figure who should have buried the hatchet with JB. With JB gone, did he reach out to Jeannie to make amends? Who knows? Maybe Jeannie is the one holding the grudge.

Needless to say, Jerry doesn’t have to slam the Lakers org. It’s cognitive dissonance at the highest degree for all the things both parties have done for each other and it’s embarrassing. He gets far too much credit for team’s success.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

We just won ring ( all that matters), built a better team on paper and when healthy we were winning and excellent on both sides of ball. We got hurt.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Seeing Rob as a championship GM is not a subjective statement open to interpretation. It is unequivocal fact - as VP of Bball Operations & GM they won the championship.

There’s no factual basis to claim that they won the championship from sheer luck and no strategy. Not a single championship team was crafted from just luck alone. If his strategy was so poor then why did the other contenders come after the same pieces he went after a year later? (McGee in Denver, DG & DH in Phi, AB in Mia, & Rondo in ATL/LAC). There are plenty of GM’s who have broken up championship teams. Our 2010 team was not the same as our 09 team. Having sustainable success in not a guarantee as the largest factor is health. We weren’t healthy this year. Lots of teams have championship talent and not the health and are solely unable to win due to those factors. You could make a case that BKN, GS & LA would all be contenders if they were fully healthy. Then you have to gel as a team which is no guarantee.

Of all the points the JW one pisses me off the most. Jerry Buss made Jerry West. He gave him all the infrastructure, the payroll, the decision making to put together a contender. I give 10x the credit to Jerry Buss than I do JW. At the end of the day, an owner has to hire the right people, pay the checks and luxury task, put his employees in empowered positions and trust their decision making. JB did all of that, he built the greatest brand in sports, sacrificed his ego at many points and revolutionized the NBA to be what it is today. Hell there was no showgirls till Jerry came along and brought the entertainment aspect to the NBA. He is literally on the Mt. Rushmore of sports owners across the world.

Jerry West on the other hand has been incredibly petty since his falling out with Jerry. Even though we employed his son for several years too even after this falling out! He gets attribution credit for the Clippers/Warriors success even though he’s not doing the leg work - he’s an advisor meaning he’s just spouting his opinion. He’s not making the calls to other teams.

Jerry didn’t draft Steph, Jerry didn’t draft Klay & he didnt sign KD. Jerry didn’t bring Kawhi - Kawhi came on his own accord and demanded PG. With all due respect - there is no Jerry West without Jerry Buss. He was fortunate to have an owner and to be in LA and obviously he made an amazing call in drafting Kobe but there is no Kobe if JB doesn’t sign off it and support his decision. Not all owners do - half of them overrule their gm’s or refuse to pay taxes. When it comes to the Lakers, I don’t question that their is bad blood between both parties but I definitely see JW as a bitter petty figure who should have buried the hatchet with JB. With JB gone, did he reach out to Jeannie to make amends? Who knows? Maybe Jeannie is the one holding the grudge.

Needless to say, Jerry doesn’t have to slam the Lakers org. It’s cognitive dissonance at the highest degree for all the things both parties have done for each other and it’s embarrassing. He gets far too much credit for team’s success.

I look at the fact, subjective to circumstance. Circumstance being no strategy and luck, with no sustainability. It was luck because there was no strategy involved. They were waiting it out with Kawhi, missed out on top free agents and got the best available. It's not 1's they really wanted or they would have signed them to a bigger contract and they definitely wouldn't have shipped a bulk of our core championship squad the next year. There was no strategy involved.

Name all the core players we traded away from 09 and 10.... It was only Trevor for Arrest, which canceled out and made us able to beat Boston. Also, name these championship teams broken up after winning their 1st title. We broke up 4 of our core players. What other teams have done that, after winning their 1st title?

I give Jerry Buss a lot of credit, even most when it comes to Lakers franchise, but Jerry Buss made Jerry West is laughable. He gave him a position that he succeeded in and helped make the Lakers top of the line franchise, based on the product on the court. Jerry Buss stayed out of Jerry West's affairs, except if he didn't agree and then Jerry West would argue his decision, and Jerry Buss would oblige.

Jerry West never had a falling out with Jerry Buss. In fact, they remained in contact. His gripe was because of Phil. That was his main gripe and why he left. He also didn't like that Phil and Jeanie were involved. He felt that was very unprofessional. Jerry Buss didn't like it neither. Reason why he didn't hire Phil back. Reason why Jeanie left the franchise for a bit.

Jerry West, mentors, gives pointers, knows about fit, and how to organize a team. I remember when the warriors were thinking about trading Klay for Love and Jerry West said he would quit if that happens. They ended up keeping Klay.

Jerry haven't been petty since he have been gone. In fact, he has shown Lakers respect; like when people were coming down on Jim. He said "look it takes talent to win" and basically said it isn't his fault that every thing is happening and be patient. Jerry West has only said some thing about the franchise, when Jeanie got reigns of it. She have been running it like a circus.

Seems like you have some thing against Jerry West, but I digress...

Lakers seem to be headed in a better direction, hopefully, but they don't have the right people in the right places, to me. We need an actual GM. Rob isn't that. He is president of bball op and gm. He needs to just be president and let someone qualified be GM. We are finally upgrading the training staff. That's passed due. Let's see where this goes.... We'll see what happens in the Off season, if Rob proves his self.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Well, yeah. He is the GM of a team that won a ring last year.

Dion Waiters is also a championship player because he was on the roster of the team.

Bottom line is: so what? That doesn't inherently made Pelinka a good GM or Waiters a good player.

It's just meaningless semantics.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject:

As long as Rob keeps getting "lucky" and the team can win another ring or 2 the next couple years, I'm good with it.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Well, yeah. He is the GM of a team that won a ring last year.

Dion Waiters is also a championship player because he was on the roster of the team.

Bottom line is: so what? That doesn't inherently made Pelinka a good GM or Waiters a good player.

It's just meaningless semantics.

Uh huh
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 135 of 243
Jump to: