OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Jeanie's hesitation is that Rob would be owed too much money.

Luke will cost us nothing b/c he's signed with Sacto.

Magic resigned.

Rob? Probably signed a multi year deal b/c he had to divest from his agency firm.

I don’t know it’s about money. The reality is that Rob is the first really intelligent FO executive We’ve has in a very long time. Apparently that’s taking him a long way.

I'm fairly certain that Rob wouldn't leave a lucrative agency that he owned to do a short term deal with the Lakers. I think if Jeanie fired him, they would owe him a lot of $. And that, amongst other things, is what is stopping her from even considering his firing.

Reports are GMs didn't even want to deal with him. Great.

I chalk a little of that talk up to just people hating on the lakers, but I agree that he’s not optimal. For someone that GMs don’t want to deal with he is able to pull off trades, the clips, the nets, the rockets, the cavs all traded with us. The only Mitch and Jim trade I remember was that awful Nash trade that hamstrung our franchise for what seemed like a decade.

I like Pelinka more than most I guess, only because the players he traded away weren’t my favorites. If he trades Lonzo maybe I’ll be just as salty as you all.

There was the trade for that Pau Gasol fellow.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/jjmaples55_mst/status/1117622452152983553?s=21
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
That very same article says Pelinka was making more money as an agent and he left money on the table to take the role of GM.

This is why Jeanie won't can him.

Well, you bring up a good point. They could be in line to pay a lot of money from wrongful termination considering he divested himself of his previous business to take on the role. So I'm sure it's one of the factors.

The thing with Pelinka is... I don't know if he's a good GM or a bad GM. I also don't know whether to believe in the rumors that are being spread in the media or take them with large grains of salt. TBH, I'm not really seeing anything I'd consider concrete. We do know that people involved with this business will make up and say things to create favorable scenarios for themselves. For example, agents taking bad about Pelinka could be doing it because it's true... or they could be doing it because they can't pull the wool over his eyes and want someone more favorable to them (and their business) in charge. Some will point to reports saying GMs wouldn't take his calls? Well, the Pels reportedly refused to answer Magic's calls too. So what do we do now? The only reports that have any credibility IMO are the ones that say Pelinka is a grinder. For all we know, firing him simply because he was part of the Maginka team could be a huge mistake. So I'm preferring to stay neutral and operate under the assumption that he's doing what we need him to do... until or if he proves otherwise to the FO. In the meanwhile, since he is currently our GM and what he does impacts the Lakers, I'll be wishing him well and hoping he doesn't have to operate with hands tied behind his back.

But it's sort of a pivotal moment. We have not had a situation where the POBO/coach/GM were all in line to be replaced.

As you said, we obviously don't know what really happened, but assuming the widespread rumors are true, and Rob is treated like a pariah, then that will affect the Lakers going forward. He's a product of insularity. We didn't really open the coveted Lakers GM job to the field IIRC. It was basically done covertly with Rob.

That's right, and rather than replace all three (POBO + GM + Coach)... we need to keep one to maintain some sort of continuity? Since we have already lost the POBO and Coach, guess who's not getting let go off?

Also, I don't believe in or assume the rumors are true, but you do. So we're approaching this question from diametrically opposed angles. Almost all teams will not do us any favors with or without Rob, so that's nothing new. Keeping that in mind, I'd prefer our GM is someone who builds through competence (i.e., good draft signings + good FA signings + who improves our analytics and player development) rather than depending on other teams to do us favors with trades for stars. If we want to go by reports, then what we know is that the team as constructed was Magic's vision for the Lakers. I'm not sure how we can hold someone else responsible for executing his vision. At the end of the day, results speak for themselves. If Rob is given full responsibility and doesn't deliver, then it'll be his turn to say bye-bye. I could be completely wrong though, perhaps Jeanie (and the others in charge) want to replace him too. She hasn't done that yet, so I remain neutral until that happens because I don't know better and/or know enough. To not support Rob while he's the Lakers' GM doesn't really accomplish anything AFAIC.
SickwithIt1010
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I don't believe this.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

I just can't trust Jeanie's acumen on front office staff. There's a real chance Rob has some mitigating factors that means he survives the Lakers Hunger Games. I was pointing out that he is owed a substantial amount of $, and I bet Jeanie feels bad about the fact he had to divest ownership of his agency.

Holding onto b/c these factors (if true) would be a disaster. His reputation is also not the best so even if you don't think it deserves credence, if other teams simply do not want to deal with him, that's a problem. He clearly did a number on some teams as an agent and has some amends to make.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

SickwithIt1010 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I don't believe this.

Phil back with the Lakers? Bron not gonna like that. lol
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I just can't trust Jeanie's acumen on front office staff. There's a real chance Rob has some mitigating factors that means he survives the Lakers Hunger Games. I was pointing out that he is owed a substantial amount of $, and I bet Jeanie feels bad about the fact he had to divest ownership of his agency.

Holding onto b/c these factors (if true) would be a disaster. His reputation is also not the best so even if you don't think it deserves credence, if other teams simply do not want to deal with him, that's a problem. He clearly did a number on some teams as an agent and has some amends to make.

Dude he's staying....
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
SickwithIt1010 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I don't believe this.

1. Why Phil?
2. Why Kurt?
3. Why Phil?
4. Why Kurt?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Dude he's staying....

Yeah, I'm beginning to accept the fact that it's likely happening.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

Someone better be playing a prank on us.... or I will not watch another game until Jeanie is gone.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
His reputation is also not the best so even if you don't think it deserves credence, if other teams simply do not want to deal with him, that's a problem. He clearly did a number on some teams as an agent and has some amends to make.

Can I just ask, why do you think this is a problem? Do you imagine there are other teams who would do us any favors if we had a GM they liked or respected? The only time other teams should matter is if we're playing with our cap-space (as in, we're in tank mode and taking on bad contracts in return for picks or young players... in which case, we'd be the ones doing the favors)... or if we're trying to get rid of bad contracts like MozDeng (here, we'd usually be wanting favors). Most other times, teams will deal if we're giving them something they value or create the perception of value. (Except when we tick them off and they refuse to deal out of principle, like with AD). If our FO gets their draft picks and FA signings right, both these things have nothing to do with other teams.

Btw, Danny Ainge has screwed over other teams a lot in the recent past... yet we're not hearing a lot about teams not wanting to deal with the Celtics.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Dude he's staying....

Yeah, I'm beginning to accept the fact that it's likely happening.

As sad as this is, there is IMO zero chance Jeanie fires him. She had her window between the time Magic quit and Luke got fired.

Now he's out there interviewing coaches. I read a WOJ tweet that said "Lakers senior management is flying East". and that hurt my heart.

It's not about Rob. He may actually be an okay guy to have in the FO to understand cap space. But the fact that he's stepped into the role Magic had, which was the visionary, is weird.

Jeanie is too concerned with public perception and doesn't want to signal how bad things are. Firing Rob and/or hiring a new PBO would be doing exactly that.

She's a cancer to this franchise. A pretty one that is very likable and has had built in excuses since the day she took the job (Jim) but all that is starting to fall. If Rob messes up this summer, or Rambis or whoever else is involved, she should be getting all the hate Jim did + some.

Once Magic stepped down this should have been so easy. Call West. Call Ujiri. Call Presti. Call Myers. Call Riley. Call Griffin. Call anyone and everyone to get a sense of who'd say yes and who'd say no. Maybe they all say no and I guess that's fine but at least youre not blindly promoting Rob because you don't want to piss of Kobe nor pay him while he sits at him.

This franchise is a lot worse shape than we every thought. The greatest brand in sports in literally ran by Jeanie and her valley girl bff who have NO idea of anything outside of Laker nepotism.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
His reputation is also not the best so even if you don't think it deserves credence, if other teams simply do not want to deal with him, that's a problem. He clearly did a number on some teams as an agent and has some amends to make.

Can I just ask, why do you think this is a problem? Do you imagine there are other teams who would do us any favors if we had a GM they liked or respected? The only time other teams should matter is if we're playing with our cap-space (as in, we're in tank mode and taking on bad contracts in return for picks or young players... in which case, we'd be the ones doing the favors)... or if we're trying to get rid of bad contracts like MozDeng (here, we'd usually be wanting favors). Most other times, teams will deal if we're giving them something they value or create the perception of value. (Except when we tick them off and they refuse to deal out of principle, like with AD). If our FO gets their draft picks and FA signings right, both these things have nothing to do with other teams.

It's b/c even if we sign a max FA, I'm fairly positive we will be looking to make a trade. If other GMs despise him, rational or not, it's a problem. He does bring in some baggage as an agent that may take time to unload.

As a GM, it's important to have relationships with other teams. If he can't have any, that's a problem.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's b/c even if we sign a max FA, I'm fairly positive we will be looking to make a trade. If other GMs despise him, rational or not, it's a problem. He does bring in some baggage as an agent that may take time to unload.

As a GM, it's important to have relationships with other teams. If he can't have any, that's a problem.

On the other hand it is important to have good relations with other agents because they influence their FA clients to exert pressure. Maybe that's why other GM's don't like him because he can forge deal with other agents that they hate. As the previous poster said the GM/agent relationship is a dog eat dog world and one where everyone screws each other. I actually want someone who's smart and is feared.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

There seems to be a general consensus that Rob is a smart person. Machiavellian perhaps, ruthless maybe, but smart.

If he's smart enough to know that his relationship with other GMs is getting in the way of his personal (and the Lakers') success, then it seems likely that he would hire a GM to do that work for him.

Another question - and I fear this is even less likely - is whether he is self-aware enough to know that he should not just hire yes-men who will simply do his bidding. He needs to hire people who will call him out, call Jeanie out, and have his or her own ideas on how to build the team.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
SickwithIt1010 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I don't believe this.

Wow.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
SickwithIt1010 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I don't believe this.

Wow.

Why do people believe this stuff? I've seen a random lawyer, a guy named I got sources, and whoever this YMCA level coach is talking about what they heard...

Do people think if that's what happened, Woj, Romoma, Shams, Oram, etc wouldn't be all over it?

PJ is not coming back. I wouldn't be surprised for Rambis to get a job, but why would Jeanie give Rob that title and the pay increase associated with it?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

Eric Pincus spoke with Dave Smith of SB Nation Radio live on-air a few hours ago discussing the Lakers current situation. Here are some of the interesting nuggets he mentioned:

The Lakers will not be hiring a new PBO, instead will turn the front office over to Rob Pelinka and Kurt Rambis

No call will be made to Jerry West

I guess something was mentioned about Phil being an advisor although Pincus later clarified on Twitter this hasn’t been confirmed
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

̶ ̶D̶r̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶ ̶Nightmare Team
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

epak wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
SickwithIt1010 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I don't believe this.

1. Why Phil?
2. Why Kurt?
3. Why Phil?
4. Why Kurt?

Kurt I would say because his wife and Jeanie are BFF's but I'm not sure why Phil keeps getting brought up? Do him and Jeanie even have a relationship after everything that happened between them?
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

Something is real fishy about the reports of Pelinka's lack of popularity.

Does anyone know the original sources to report this? Has Pincus or another trusted source talked to other GM's and this is what they've heard?

I'm starting to call BS on the whole rumor.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Someone better be playing a prank on us.... or I will not watch another game until Jeanie is gone.

No prank IG....The FO now is Jeanie, Pelinka, and LeBron (Rich Paul). And they'll do everything possible to fulfill whatever LeBron wants. They invested $134 million into him. They have a 2 year window (option for 3rd) and they're all in in what he wants. Just look at the coaching search...Lue, Monty and Juwan...common theme? They're all connected to LeBron. IMO Jeanie trust Rob and his vision is LeBron's vision for the next 2 years. So what's the point to getting a President? Pelinka is reportedly a workaholic...My argument against him is that no GM and Executive will return his calls and he's not respected..at least that's whats being reported. Remember how one GM described Pelinka..."he was the Rich Paul to Kobe."
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

Kurt Rambis

Wow. Good luck Rob.

Not taking the Lakers seriously as a fan until they start taking themselves seriously
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

If Rob is difficult to deal with because he won't be taken advantage of, then I'm for that. If they dont like him as a person, I don't really care yet. If Rob makes moronic bball decisions, that's what I'm more worried about.

I think most of us knew that Magic was not here for the long haul anyway. He was here to get the Lakers Lebron. And get the Lakers back. And then back back. I thought he would be gone after that. Unfortunately, the back back did not happen. I think the "back" happened when we got Lebron and the excitement was back big time for the team.

Now Rob has this summer to show off what he can do as the lead man. He gets his own coach. He gets his own assistant. Mamba Mentality front office. It'll piss people off. But let's see if it's effective in building a winner.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 37 of 243
Jump to: