OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
We always wanted a killer in office because we thought Mitch and co were too passive and played too much by the rules.

Well, now we have him, and he's not going to take any sh*t. You want him negotiating the deals not some pushover. You saw he bottom lined Lue then moved on. He's setting a precedent. I like it and i'm ready to give him a chance running basketball operations.

He has his chance, hope he succeeds.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
Magic has his own issues and he clearly needed to be gone from the team. But, Pelinka better be good if they're going to keep him even after all that Magic has said about him.

It's definitely a big worry that Jeanie is just keeping Pelinka around because of familiarity. We have to remember that Jeanie didn't actually let go Magic. He resigned. If it weren't for him quitting, Magic may still be on the team.

Everything we've seen and heard so far says Jeanie is a bad owner who lets personal relationships dictate who's in the front office.

Jeannie always said that she let basketball decisions be made by other people and she simply ran the business. That is a good skill, but now she is the bottom line. When others fail, it is her failure too. It never was before, it was always on Jimmie or Magic or Mitch. Now it is really only her. If Pelinka fails, people won't hold it against him as much as they will hold it against her.

Ultimately Jeannie better get her basketball knowledge up to snuff and if she can't she better start grooming her younger brother to take over her role.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

RP..you have one year to figure this out. I believe in you. Get it done.

I don't need to see rings.

I don't care for the second round or third round.

There's no benchmark. Just build a good team with a purpose. The vision has to be clear. One year is enough time.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Yep, Rob has a season or two to turn things around.. He gets a mulligan dealing with Ervin's BS.. Now it's the Rob and Jeanie show...

No excuses, no (bleep)..

a big free agent signing and a playoff berth isn't too much to expect..
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Naw, he has two months, not two years. This fan base doesn’t give mulligans.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Ouch.... The pressure's on now...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I think it works this way...
If Lakers get a star FA this summer, Lebron is going to get the credit.
If the Lakers fail to get a star, everyone from Rob, Rambii and Jeannie will be get destroyed.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If the Lakers fail to get a star, everyone from Rob, Rambii and Jeannie will be get destroyed.

Throw magic in there too

LG loves living in the past
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I agree, but I would add that, if we sign a major FA, the immediate heat will be off the rest of Rob and the rest of the FO. In reality, the hard work would really start at that point -- we would need to build a functional supporting cast around Lebron and the major FA, even though we would have limited assets and cap space. At that point, though, I think Murdock has a point. The fan base may not give Rob a mulligan, but we'd be more willing to tolerate a couple bumps in the road.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I agree, but I would add that, if we sign a major FA, the immediate heat will be off the rest of Rob and the rest of the FO. In reality, the hard work would really start at that point -- we would need to build a functional supporting cast around Lebron and the major FA, even though we would have limited assets and cap space. At that point, though, I think Murdock has a point. The fan base may not give Rob a mulligan, but we'd be more willing to tolerate a couple bumps in the road.

That's true. Landing the big fish this summer would give the FO some breathing room.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I actually think Rob is under more pressure to put a serviceable supporting cast around LeBron and potential free agents than he is to get a star. As mentioned above, LeBron will get credit if we get somebody big but I think he’ll get a lot of blame if we don’t. If Rob can make smart role player signings, he’ll get a lot of credit especially when compared to who we got last summer
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I like Rob. He's gonna do good. I'm all in...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I actually think Rob is under more pressure to put a serviceable supporting cast around LeBron and potential free agents than he is to get a star. As mentioned above, LeBron will get credit if we get somebody big but I think he’ll get a lot of blame if we don’t. If Rob can make smart role player signings, he’ll get a lot of credit especially when compared to who we got last summer

I hope so. I certainly think he'll do better than last summer, mostly because it would be hard to do worse. And yet, I can't help but shake the image of him quoting scripture after giving KCP $18M and signing him again for $12M when no other team would have given him anywhere near that.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
Yep, Rob has a season or two to turn things around.. He gets a mulligan dealing with Ervin's BS.. Now it's the Rob and Jeanie show...

No excuses, no (bleep)..

a big free agent signing and a playoff berth isn't too much to expect..

M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That's true. Landing the big fish this summer would give the FO some breathing room.
You just hope the big fish is not Boogie Cousins. That's what I'm worried about, when they can't land the top tier FA, they would throw the max at Boogie just to get a "big name".
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
Magic has his own issues and he clearly needed to be gone from the team. But, Pelinka better be good if they're going to keep him even after all that Magic has said about him.

It's definitely a big worry that Jeanie is just keeping Pelinka around because of familiarity. We have to remember that Jeanie didn't actually let go Magic. He resigned. If it weren't for him quitting, Magic may still be on the team.

Everything we've seen and heard so far says Jeanie is a bad owner who lets personal relationships dictate who's in the front office.

If they fire him they have to pay him not to GM. That's a non starter for the Buss gang as it comes out of their end.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Yep, I agree. Hell, if the Clippers sign Durant and/or Kawhi, then make it one month!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Japago wrote:

If they fire him they have to pay him not to GM. That's a non starter for the Buss gang as it comes out of their end.

Agree with all this.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
epak wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
epak wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

You just hope the big fish is not Boogie Cousins. That's what I'm worried about, when they can't land the top tier FA, they would throw the max at Boogie just to get a "big name".

I just can't see the FO doing that. Especially off another injury.
If plan E becomes Jimmy Butler, I'm OK with it. Not ideal, but still a good last option.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Like Pat Riley says: "I have not had a problem with Rob"

coming from Pat Riley that's all I need.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Amazing that Pelinka has come out of the last month looking better than before?? I think he's the only one among Magic, Jeannie, and the Rambii.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Amazing that Pelinka has come out of the last month looking better than before?? I think he's the only one among Magic, Jeannie, and the Rambii.

Don't have a problem with any of them except Magic. I think he created a mess with trying to trade to whole team for AD, and some of the other moves, as well as doing a half arse job. He did help get LBJ but otherwise good riddance.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Don't have a problem with any of them except Magic. I think he created a mess with trying to trade to whole team for AD, and some of the other moves, as well as doing a half arse job. He did help get LBJ but otherwise good riddance.

Same. There's a poster here who keeps harping on "Rob created a toxic environment between him and Magic"... and he might have a point there, but not in the way he thinks. My thought is that all the BS we've been hearing about Rob is stuff that Magic has been feeding the media, either himself or through his cronies (SAS, Marcellus, Scott, etc), because he wanted to get one back at Rob. That poster is right about this... if Pelinka said anything about Magic not being in as much as he should have been, that would have 100% resulted in Magic feeling like he needed to quit. So then knowing he was going to quit, he probably thought to himself... "If I'm going to leave because of what Rob has been saying about me, then I'm going to take him down with me and make his position untenable". Lame, petty office politics. Hopefully, all this BS hasn't resulted in creating an environment that hampers Rob when dealing with other GMs/players/agents. That's my only fear because I don't care about any of the characters in this play and only care about the team... i.e., that Rob might actually be a good thing for the Lakers despite not having prior GM experience (like how Bob Myers turned out great, or even Masai Ujiri turned out great - read about Masai's beginnings if you think Myers is a "lazy example"), but he'll be handicapped by all of this drama... which ultimately negatively impacts the Lakers. At this time, I've not read anything that gives me concern about Rob himself. Future actions/information/results might change this stance of mine... but not at this time at least.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Fri May 24, 2019 2:06 pm; edited 12 times in total
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

Magic tried to out him end up outing himself and showing his true colors. I remember we all used to say Mitch was hindered from doing his job to the fullest by Jim Buss. Let's see what Rob can do now that Magic's out of the way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 47 of 243
Jump to: