OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Amazing that Pelinka has come out of the last month looking better than before?? I think he's the only one among Magic, Jeannie, and the Rambii.

Magic tried to out him end up outing himself and showing his true colors. I remember we all used to say Mitch was hindered from doing his job to the fullest by Jim Buss. Let's see what Rob can do now that Magic's out of the way.

I believe Magic was super butt hurt after LeBron told everyone he left without saying anything to him. Magic then scheduled the ESPN appearance to flame Rob because Magic's ego is too fragile to see his image being tarnished.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Amazing that Pelinka has come out of the last month looking better than before?? I think he's the only one among Magic, Jeannie, and the Rambii.

Don't have a problem with any of them except Magic. I think he created a mess with trying to trade to whole team for AD, and some of the other moves, as well as doing a half arse job. He did help get LBJ but otherwise good riddance.

Same. There's a poster here who keeps harping on "Rob created a toxic environment between him and Magic"... and he might have a point there, but not in the way he thinks. My thought is that all the BS we've been hearing about Rob is stuff that Magic has been feeding the media, either himself or through his cronies (SAS, Marcellus, Scott, etc), because he wanted to get one back at Rob. That poster is right about this... if Pelinka said anything about Magic not being in as much as he should have been, that would have 100% resulted in Magic feeling like he needed to quit. But knowing that he was going to quit, he probably thought to himself... "If I'm going to leave because of what Rob has been saying, then I'm going to take him down with me". Hopefully, all this BS hasn't resulted in creating an environment that hampers Rob when dealing with other GMs/players/agents. That's my only fear... i.e., that Rob might actually be a good thing for us despite not having prior GM experience (like how Bob Myers turned out great, or even Masai Ujjiri turned out great - read about Masai's beginnings if you think Myers is a "lazy example"), but he'll be handicapped by all of this... which ultimately impacts the Lakers. At this time, I've not read anything that gives me concern about Rob himself. Future actions/information/results might change this stance of mine... but not at this time at least.

You're probably right. I don't think this stuff about Pelinka will hurt the Lakers. It's possible as you say that it was all created by Magic spewing out toxic trash to the media. Ultimately there will be some that don't like Rob and others that do or do not care, but isn't that the way it is why most people in business anyways? I think Magic is a liar when he says he love Jeanne and the Lakers, because all of his trash talk is doing nothing but hurt the team. I used to have a different view of Magic but that has turned the other in the last few months.
A great player yes, horrible coach, and team president defintely.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

To put it as precisely as possible.
The minute free agency opens. Rob should be with the best all star free agent who will sign with us.
If we wanted a front office who doesn't know what free agent is gonna sign with what team before free agency. We could've kept Jimmy and Mitch.

Rob is obviously a snake. So put that parseltongue to work. We want the best front office performance possible. And the best front offices know what's happening before free agency starts.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri May 24, 2019 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The minute free agency opens. Rob should be with the best all star free agent who will sign with us.
If we wanted a front office who doesn't know what free agent is gonna sign with with what team before free agency. We could've kept Jimmy and Mitch.

Rob is obviously a snake. So put that parseltongue to work. We want the best front office performance possible. And the best front offices know what's happening before free agency starts.

head of the snake ronnie price
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
kikanga wrote:
If we wanted a front office who doesn't know what free agent is gonna sign with with what team before free agency. We could've kept Jimmy and Mitch.

head of the snake ronnie price

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

He better use his backstabbing snake skills to get us some good players
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
He better use his backstabbing snake skills to get us some good players

He should find a black mamba and study it.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

ibitegirls wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Magic tried to out him end up outing himself and showing his true colors. I remember we all used to say Mitch was hindered from doing his job to the fullest by Jim Buss. Let's see what Rob can do now that Magic's out of the way.

I believe Magic was super butt hurt after LeBron told everyone he left without saying anything to him. Magic then scheduled the ESPN appearance to flame Rob because Magic's ego is too fragile to see his image being tarnished.

And all Magic ended up doing was, as the kids say, exposing himself.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Anyone think Kobe will help recruit since Rob was his agent? I can't imagine he would want him to fail considering it's his first GM job and all of the drama involed with the org.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Anyone think Kobe will help recruit since Rob was his agent? I can't imagine he would want him to fail considering it's his first GM job.

I am sure he would make a call or appearance if Rob asked, but I do not see Kobe doing much more, nor do I see Rob asking. I think Rob respects that Kobe does not have a desire to be involved in the Lakers/NBA world right now.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

had some random thoughts about Pelinka and the perception of Pelinka by Laker fans recently.

One of the hardest things I have witnessed people do is walk away from a business they built by themselves or had a heavy hand in building. Even when a better opportunity is available to them. I have seen countless people make what I considered at the time poor decisions by remaining with a start-up long after their contributions had stagnated or refuse to close shop on a personal business when an opportunity for more financial reward was offered. It becomes like their baby...they become attached and possessive. I point this out because I see it as a sacrifice. When the Lakers hired Magic and Pelinka, Magic claimed he could not take time away from businesses that he hardly built himself, and many accounts suggest his hands barely touch. At the same time, Rob walked away from his very successful agency that he built from the ground up.....to be the GM of the LA Lakers. Since then, by all accounts he has been in the office everyday and 100% accountable to the job of being GM of the LA Lakers. I am sure being the GM has a lot of benefits/pros compared to being an agent, and vice versa....but he walked away from being very rich and successful as his own boss to deal with the constant daily media scrutiny that comes with being the GM of the LA Lakers. I think that should count for something as a Laker fan....especially compared to Magic's lack of sacrifice and approach.

Also, we often see stories about Rob's lack of character....much without a lot of recent evidence. Two of the most recent claims were that he was dishonest to players trying to make life decisions about trade possibilities and that other NBA executives do not trust him. Maybe some of that is true, but it is ironic that Larry Nance quickly squashed the story about Rob being dishonest with him, and Pat Riley goes on the record claiming that he has never had an issue dealing with Rob. I have never seen Rob on television after trading a 20 year old PG talking about him not being a leader, or making fun of a 22 year old Center's performance in his first playoffs.

like I said, just random thoughts that do not fit within the current narrative....
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
had some random thoughts about Pelinka and the perception of Pelinka by Laker fans recently.

One of the hardest things I have witnessed people do is walk away from a business they built by themselves or had a heavy hand in building. Even when a better opportunity is available to them. I have seen countless people make what I considered at the time poor decisions by remaining with a start-up long after their contributions had stagnated or refuse to close shop on a personal business when an opportunity for more financial reward was offered. It becomes like their baby...they become attached and possessive. I point this out because I see it as a sacrifice. When the Lakers hired Magic and Pelinka, Magic claimed he could not take time away from businesses that he hardly built himself, and many accounts suggest his hands barely touch. At the same time, Rob walked away from his very successful agency that he built from the ground up.....to be the GM of the LA Lakers. Since then, by all accounts he has been in the office everyday and 100% accountable to the job of being GM of the LA Lakers. I am sure being the GM has a lot of benefits/pros compared to being an agent, and vice versa....but he walked away from being very rich and successful as his own boss to deal with the constant daily media scrutiny that comes with being the GM of the LA Lakers. I think that should count for something as a Laker fan....especially compared to Magic's lack of sacrifice and approach.

Also, we often see stories about Rob's lack of character....much without a lot of recent evidence. Two of the most recent claims were that he was dishonest to players trying to make life decisions about trade possibilities and that other NBA executives do not trust him. Maybe some of that is true, but it is ironic that Larry Nance quickly squashed the story about Rob being dishonest with him, and Pat Riley goes on the record claiming that he has never had an issue dealing with Rob. I have never seen Rob on television after trading a 20 year old PG talking about him not being a leader, or making fun of a 22 year old Center's performance in his first playoffs.

like I said, just random thoughts that do not fit within the current narrative....

Damn, I remember thinking this last week and it's really a great point. Plus you have to imagine his agency was making wayyy more than 5 mil a year which is what he's getting paid now. Then you piece together Kobe's comment on Rob from like 03 mentioning his dream job was to be GM of the Lakers, and it's pretty easy to see how the "snake" rumors quickly have no ground to stand on.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Over the next two months or so, we’ll find out whether Pelinka has what it takes to be a successful GM. The max FA aspect is the part over which he has the least control. He could do everything perfectly, and we could still whiff. Or he could mishandle the situation, but Leonard could wake up one morning and decide he wants to play with Lebron. However that part turns out, what Pelinka does next will define his quality as a GM.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
george w kush wrote:
Anyone think Kobe will help recruit since Rob was his agent? I can't imagine he would want him to fail considering it's his first GM job.

I am sure he would make a call or appearance if Rob asked, but I do not see Kobe doing much more, nor do I see Rob asking. I think Rob respects that Kobe does not have a desire to be involved in the Lakers/NBA world right now.

Agree. The narrative is already out in the media that Kobe is essentially exerting influence through Pelinka. I believe they will avoid any appearance to give the talking heads more to speculate on.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject:

The Pelinka being a shady ass**** rumors are real and he’s done shady business w players he’s let go of here, from what I’ve heard. When it’s a pretty consensus opinion/knowledge/reporting on someone , there’s usually stories out there that people know, it’s not just unfounded out of left field.
Even Magic said his friends/agents in the business said watch out for Rob - Richard Jefferson came out w strong statements against him recently.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The Pelinka being a shady ass**** rumors are real and he’s done shady business w players he’s let go of here, from what I’ve heard. When it’s a pretty consensus opinion/knowledge/reporting on someone , there’s usually stories out there that people know, it’s not just unfounded out of left field.
Even Magic said his friends/agents in the business said watch out for Rob - Richard Jefferson came out w strong statements against him recently.

Cite your sources on the gossip please.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

na I'm just one of the hundred people saying it's real, and they wouldn't share their sources either. that's just how it goes. believe a bunch of people or have an unfounded contrarian/optimistic take.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Espn first take
clone
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Cause of Kobe this palinka has a job, I'd take back Mitch over this fool any day, at least Mitch had a good rep with people around the league. And we expect top FAs to consider us? Not happening.

1949 1950 1952 1953 1954 1972 1980 1982 1985 1987 1988 2000 2001 2002 2009 2010
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

na I'm just one of the hundred people saying it's real, and they wouldn't share their sources either. that's just how it goes. believe a bunch of people or have an unfounded contrarian/optimistic take.

What's funny is that people are pushing back so hard on a belief that is widely known in the NBA community. It's not the sort of thing that gets written about by journalists ("hey this one agent is kind of a schmuck and people don't like him" isn't exactly a headline you see often) but several media types have talked about it. And they get attacked by the very people asking for sourced confirmation. Eventually you realize you're just bumping up against people who are fans of Rob because they have to be, because we can't have success unless he's successful.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

What's funny is that people are pushing back so hard on a belief that is widely known in the NBA community. It's not the sort of thing that gets written about by journalists ("hey this one agent is kind of a schmuck and people don't like him" isn't exactly a headline you see often) but several media types have talked about it. And they get attacked by the very people asking for sourced confirmation. Eventually you realize you're just bumping up against people who are fans of Rob because they have to be, because we can't have success unless he's successful.

yea man, it's tough to believe the level of incompetence it takes to put a guy like that, in the position he is - but Jeanie is the queen of incompetence... Some reporters have attacked him pretty hard, and that's rare..

and for a player to speak out , a guy like Richard Jefferson
Quote:
“It’s not that many things that need to be changed (with the Lakers), but there are some major things that need to be changed. One of them is that Rob Pelinka has gotta go. Gotta go."

there's shady people all around FO circles, I bet.. but nobody speaks out about them - Rob built that level of hate against him; his stories have been confirmed to the level where nobody thinks twice about saying nasty things about him.

The Pelicans wouldn't talk to him on the phone..
where there's smoke there's fire
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He keeps getting called a snake/not trustworthy, but I'd love to hear some examples. The closest Iv'e hears is Whitlock saying he knew Pelinka personally, and didn't like him. Alluded to something between Pelinka/Whitlock/Derek Fisher a few years ago.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Aaron Mintz is an example, we had no shot because of Pelinka. Kawhi is another, we had no chance because of our FO. Add the Pelicans to that list.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Let's see if the "snake" is an issue this summer.
If we strike out in FA, then you guys are right, kudos.
If we get a star, then eat it cuz it didn't matter.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aaron Mintz is an example, we had no shot because of Pelinka. Kawhi is another, we had no chance because of our FO. Add the Pelicans to that list.

I’m no fan of Pelinka, but this is ludicrous. Talk about throwing out unsubstantiated nonsense as facts. Please provide a single shred of evidence to support that Pelinka is the reason we weren’t able to trade for Kawhi or AD.

You may be somewhat correct with Mintz, but it’s impossible to extricate Magic from the damage the Lakers did to their relationship with him. Magic is the one the publicly trashed D-Lo before trading him. He was also the ultimate decision-maker in letting Randle walk.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 48 of 243
Jump to: