OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Pureshot77 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
ocho wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
we got 1 legit coach on our bench bench (not including Handy).. i think they really dropped the ball on the coaches

Amongst likely West playoff teams we might have the weakest coach.

You would have chosen who exactly amongst The VAST amount of head coaching Talen that was available? Because in reality,.. the other choices weren’t any better. Ty Lue(Overrated AF and has league worst level defense), Tom Thibedau (Don’t know WHAT he does well anymore), Monty Eilliams (Never understood why he was so highly sought after), Jason Kidd (got him), Vogel (has a much better track record than his two year rebuild in Orlando would suggest), Jeff Hornacek (a personal favorite of mine but lacks the ability to garner respect of role players much less stars), and Luke Walton (who we already know doesn’t have it for this team). The only coaches you could really complain about us not going after is Ettore Messina or Jay wright neither of which have proven ANYTHING as head coaches and could very well be complete and total failures as NBA HC’s.

For what was available,.. I think we did quite alright AND made sure Vogel’s contract coincides with LBJ’s deal. Stop The Whining at least until after 20-30 games.

When you fire your coach every 2 years you don't always have a great candidate available to you. You're generally picking off the scrap heap. The point remains though: among likely West playoff teams we might have the worst coach.

Good coaches just don't become available all that often.

That’s true. They certainly don’t grow on trees, but if you’re constantly firing your coach and turning over your FO it means you’re constantly picking off the scrap heap. The Lakers haven’t made any overtures to try to acquire an elite coach from another team (like how the Clippers did with Doc a few years ago). They’ve let several bright coaching minds slip through their fingers. The predicament of having to pick from a shallow pool is a situation of their own making, not a tough bit of luck that was forced upon them.

Didn't the Lakers just try to poach Doc Rivers from the Clippers?

At any rate, the coaches available to us who were probably the most talented were also the least experienced, in terms of NBA head coaching history. And the Lakers were unwilling to go in tha direction again.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
ocho wrote:
Pureshot77 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
ocho wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
we got 1 legit coach on our bench bench (not including Handy).. i think they really dropped the ball on the coaches

You would have chosen who exactly amongst The VAST amount of head coaching Talen that was available? Because in reality,.. the other choices weren’t any better. Ty Lue(Overrated AF and has league worst level defense), Tom Thibedau (Don’t know WHAT he does well anymore), Monty Eilliams (Never understood why he was so highly sought after), Jason Kidd (got him), Vogel (has a much better track record than his two year rebuild in Orlando would suggest), Jeff Hornacek (a personal favorite of mine but lacks the ability to garner respect of role players much less stars), and Luke Walton (who we already know doesn’t have it for this team). The only coaches you could really complain about us not going after is Ettore Messina or Jay wright neither of which have proven ANYTHING as head coaches and could very well be complete and total failures as NBA HC’s.

For what was available,.. I think we did quite alright AND made sure Vogel’s contract coincides with LBJ’s deal. Stop The Whining at least until after 20-30 games.

When you fire your coach every 2 years you don't always have a great candidate available to you. You're generally picking off the scrap heap. The point remains though: among likely West playoff teams we might have the worst coach.

That’s true. They certainly don’t grow on trees, but if you’re constantly firing your coach and turning over your FO it means you’re constantly picking off the scrap heap. The Lakers haven’t made any overtures to try to acquire an elite coach from another team (like how the Clippers did with Doc a few years ago). They’ve let several bright coaching minds slip through their fingers. The predicament of having to pick from a shallow pool is a situation of their own making, not a tough bit of luck that was forced upon them.

At any rate, the coaches available to us who were probably the most talented were also the least experienced, in terms of NBA head coaching history. And the Lakers were unwilling to go in tha direction again.

That was a rumor that Rivers shot down and he pretty quickly agreed to an extension with the Clippers to put out that fire. I don’t know if it ever went anywhere. I certainly hope they tried. The issue seems to be that the direction keeps changing and when that happens you’re left with bad options.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

It seems that Rob Pelinka has some good factors and some bad factors.
The good factors is that being a former agent he knows the agents and have a good relationship with them and their players. He knows what the agents and their players want.
But on the other hand the owners seem to dislike him. Perhaps because he used to be an agent. Also, the factor that the small market teams do not particularly like the Lakers. They would prefer not to trade with the Lakers unless forced to.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
It seems that Rob Pelinka has some good factors and some bad factors.
The good factors is that being a former agent he knows the agents and have a good relationship with them and their players. He knows what the agents and their players want.
But on the other hand the owners seem to dislike him. Perhaps because he used to be an agent. Also, the factor that the small market teams do not particularly like the Lakers. They would prefer not to trade with the Lakers unless forced to.

There was a rumor that agents don't like him because they all wanted the Laker job, and felt he didn't deserve it. That's where bringing in Jerry West would've made a big difference in his relationships around the league. Bob Myers worked with Jerry when he was first hired. Jerry is a smooth talker and well respected around the league. If Rob had Jerry then I think a lot of those rough relationships would've been smoothed over.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

Yes, it would seem that the Lakers are in need of a Public relations manager.
Magic was great for the job, but it seemed he was not that good at making basketball decisions.
Funny, it doesn't mean the best player will be the best manager.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Magic was great for the job, but it seemed he was not that good at making basketball decisions.

I think Rob handles public relations well and seems very comfortable speaking to the media when it is required. He's giving me the impression of striking a nice balance between Magic and Mitch by presenting a good face for the public but also knowing when to keep things in-house.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
laker50 wrote:

I think Rob handles public relations well and seems very comfortable speaking to the media when it is required. He's giving me the impression of striking a nice balance between Magic and Mitch by presenting a good face for the public but also knowing when to keep things in-house.

Maybe this past offseason but definitely not when magic was still here as alluded by his "kcp is bread from heaven" quote.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
ocho wrote:
Pureshot77 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
ocho wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Rivers is overrated imo, he's got one chip for a career of stacked rosters.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Mitch's emotionless poker face is very useful when negotiating a trade, Magic's motormouth and charisma is useful when wooing FAs. I hope Pelinka really does strike a good balance between them.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

Lakers Hire Nina Hsieh as Head Athletic Trainer

The Los Angeles Lakers have promoted Nina Hsieh to Head Athletic Trainer, it was announced today.

Quote:
"Nina has been an invaluable member of the Lakers and South Bay Lakers training staffs for over a decade," said Pelinka. "Her wealth of experience, ability to forge relationships of trust with the players, as well as the knowledge and passion she brings to this position, make her the perfect fit for this role, and I couldn’t be more pleased."

https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/190807-lakers-hire-nina-hsieh-head-trainer
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Mitch's emotionless poker face is very useful when negotiating a trade, Magic's motormouth and charisma is useful when wooing FAs. I hope Pelinka really does strike a good balance between them.

Half Rob Lowe half Black Mamba?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Lakers Hire Nina Hsieh as Head Athletic Trainer

The Los Angeles Lakers have promoted Nina Hsieh to Head Athletic Trainer, it was announced today.

Quote:
"Nina has been an invaluable member of the Lakers and South Bay Lakers training staffs for over a decade," said Pelinka. "Her wealth of experience, ability to forge relationships of trust with the players, as well as the knowledge and passion she brings to this position, make her the perfect fit for this role, and I couldn’t be more pleased."

https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/190807-lakers-hire-nina-hsieh-head-trainer

They promoted someone from in house that been with us for a decade? Dang.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

I think Rob will do a better job, without Magic steering the ship...!

And I am still not convinced that Mitch should have been dumped, I think it helped the Buss family shield some the blame off Jimbo, when he was the one telling Mitch what to do... a scapegoat if you will...
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I think Rob will do a better job, without Magic steering the ship...!

And I am still not convinced that Mitch should have been dumped, I think it helped the Buss family shield some the blame off Jimbo, when he was the one telling Mitch what to do... a scapegoat if you will...

I’ll always love Mitch
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm pro Mitch, appreciating that he was a very good GM for us for years. But the GM game changed when the new breed of owner moved in. Mitch fell behind the times, and his work as PBO in Charlotte has shown that.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
laker50 wrote:

excuse but all of this was magic johnson.....not pelinka....this was magic vision...and without him. lebron would not be here....therefore rich paul would not have brought anthony davis.....anthony davis would not have talked boogie into coming........This was not pelinka!!!!!!!
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
governator wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
laker50 wrote:

excuse but all of this was magic johnson.....not pelinka....this was magic vision...and without him. lebron would not be here....therefore rich paul would not have brought anthony davis.....anthony davis would not have talked boogie into coming........This was not pelinka!!!!!!!

Gtfoh. Magic failed miserably and the only thing he didn’t do wrong was not screwing up a the LBJ signing when it was very clear that’s where he wanted to be. Magic legit messed up our chances at signing Kawhi because he needed more spotlight and couldn’t keep his mouth shut.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I'm pro Mitch, appreciating that he was a very good GM for us for years. But the GM game changed when the new breed of owner moved in. Mitch fell behind the times, and his work as PBO in Charlotte has shown that.

Mitch wasn’t a “very good” GM for years. He honestly was pretty poor the large portion of his tenure as Gm with us. He wasted away a large portion of Kobe’s prime by not taking things seriously and fielding Kwame/smush lead starting lineups. He made a smart draft pick in Bynum (Jim made that callIIRC), Failed in a lot of other draft scenarios, hit a triple getting Ariza for Cook, got a double by stealing Shannon Brown, and failed by not trading AWAY Dwight when he was clearly not going to come back at the ASB. But he struck out much more than he got on base. Failed free agent signings, never upgraded the roster after we peaked, and NEVER capitalized on the fact he had the greatest player of an entire generation.

Please,.. never,.. NEVER call Mitch A “Very good” GM.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:

I think it's one of those, is the glass "half empty" or "half full" scenarios.

Mitch was the guy who got Gasol, which led to a couple of championships..

Only a good GM could have orchestrated that...!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Some Mitch deals worked out, the trades for Gasol and for Ariza stand-out. But he had a lot of trouble getting good free agents here. The Lakers drafted pretty good under Mitch though.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Some Mitch deals worked out, the trades for Gasol and for Ariza stand-out. But he had a lot of trouble getting good free agents here. The Lakers drafted pretty good under Mitch though.

Overall, I think the FO did well during Mitch's tenure.

Sure, he made some mistakes. And I get some people are going to deny him personal credit for some of the best moves like drafting Bynum and getting Gasol (but if you start saying a GM gets personal blame and deny him credit for the good things, pretty much every GM sucks).
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Not when Jerry West gift wrapped him to LA on his way out of Memphis
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

That's what I'm talking about. You blame Mitch for all the bad things, and come up with silly reasons to give him no credit for the good things.

You might as well just be talking to yourself in the mirror.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

West was out the season before. Facts aren’t your friend.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

FO did fine with Mitch minus free agency. Mitch's inability to land free agents was his biggest weakness. Seems like this remains true in his new position as well. Otherwise he was a solid GM for us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 97 of 243
Jump to: