OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Still need a defensive minded wing before I share the positive sentiments for Rob. If no Iggy than a bought out Ariza.

Ariza versus Iggy. Interesting. If you had a choice...

Today's upset for the Queens slowed down their tankathon this delaying their chances at buying out any of their vets unfortunately.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

Man how wrong was everyone about Pelinka. The man was so maligned but every move he made has worked out well. The guy has to be the leader in the clubhouse for exec of the year.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

vicman wrote:
Man how wrong was everyone about Pelinka. The man was so maligned but every move he made has worked out well. The guy has to be the leader in the clubhouse for exec of the year.

Nope. Only 95% of LG were wrong. As usual.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

No idea if he’s this good or this lucky (probably some combination of both), but I do love how he stays quiet and obviously puts in the hours. He’s there at every Laker home game to personally greet each player coming off the floor, and the way AD talked about how constantly Rob was communicating with him and LBJ while setting up the roster makes it clear how much time he puts in. I also don’t think Kobe would respect or love Rob as much if he wasn’t a grinder who works as hard at his job as Kobe worked on his.

He weathered a horrific situation where Magic was trying to work part time and yet still make major decisions without doing his homework while never being able to shut the (bleep) up, and then a worse situation where Magic quits with no warning and trashes the entire franchise and FO on his way out the door, endured a waiting game with Kawhi (at least partially mandated by Lebron and Klutch IMO), and when he missed he smoothly pivoted away and filled out the roster with good, cheap alternatives quickly and efficiently and things have turned out better so far than even the most wild predictions. One thing Magic said that I’m inclined to believe is that Pelinka had a hundred different scenarios lined up that he gave to Magic, because clearly Pelinka had a bunch of scenarios lined up so he could respond immediately once Kawhi made an official decision.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

I'd really like to know what he would have done with Lonzo if AD didn't request a trade. I'd like to give Rob a lot of credit but he did offer Lue a contract and if it was accepted, we wouldn't have Vogel as our coach today.

He did make some quality veteran acquisitions in Green and Bradley so I'll give him that. He hasn't made any trade that makes me scratch my head like Lou for a late first rounder that Magic did. Too early to give Rob too much credit but so far so good.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I'd really like to know what he would have done with Lonzo if AD didn't request a trade. I'd like to give Rob a lot of credit but he did offer Lue a contract and if it was accepted, we wouldn't have Vogel as our coach today.

He did make some quality veteran acquisitions in Green and Bradley so I'll give him that. He hasn't made any trade that makes me scratch my head like Lou for a late first rounder that Magic did. Too early to give Rob too much credit but so far so good.

True. Lonzo, BI, Hart still on the team? Definitely not 21-3.
Note: Vogel would have signed as the Assistant Coach no? That being said, I'm glad we didnt get Lue.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

It seems that Lakers fans don't give Pelinka, Jeannie, and Rambis credit for the great job they have done. So far at least.
A lot of fans complain about role players, but only 4 Lakers are getting paid more than Luol Deng for the next 3 years and he is not even playing.
So this is how bad management has been in the previous years.
With Pelinka the Lakers are at the top of the WC and with 20th in salary payout.
That is a great job. No changes until they mess up.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Always had faith in Chris Traeger.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Magic as a GM was about the same as Magic the coach. It is actually very tough for great players to be objective. Isiah Thomas had the same issue in NYC. They think stars and don't pay attention to the details. We all knew 2 thins when LBJ came to the Lakers 1) You need shooters around him and 2) the offense was going to run through him. So Magic surrounds him with non-shooters and tried to take the ball out of his hands. Almost worked but would not have gone far. The team was flawed.

This one is better. Surrounded LBJ with shooters. Got a couple of guys to play center since you know AD doesn't really like playing center and it wears him down as well. The lineup is missing one piece a wing 3D player. Jared Dudley I guess was to be that guy but you can tell he hasn't gotten up there and isn't the same player. Iggy/Ariza fit the mold if they ever get let go. Kuz is 3/4 and more offense than defense so you are missing that one guy. If LBJ or AD go down for any stretch the team will struggle.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Lakers announce Rob Pelinka has been promoted to VP of Basketball Operations and General Manager. Previously just held GM title.

https://twitter.com/billoram/status/1215784182669963264
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakers extended contract of GM Rob Pelinka to go along with his promotion to VP of Basketball Operations, league sources tell @RamonaShelburne and me.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1215787265718390784

Ramona had to be told cause she's been cut off
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Lakers announce Rob Pelinka has been promoted to VP of Basketball Operations and General Manager. Previously just held GM title.

https://twitter.com/billoram/status/1215784182669963264

Congrats big dog!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

VP huh? So there’s room for one more up there. Do it Jeanie!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Hope Earvin comes back.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I guess this means LeKlutch and AD love them some Pelinka.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

What's great about the Lakers doing so well is that no more whining about the Rambuses ruining the Lakers. Good times in lala land.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject:

He got a contract extension, too.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Good for Rob. His reputation has rebounded well since Magic went on his "F Rob Pelinka" press tour.

I hope he can tone down the "stories" and biblical stuff. Nothing against his beliefs, but story time with Rob is not necessarily needed for his job.

Just do the job. You don't need to be seen or heard. You definitely don't need to be a headline. The praise will come along with the team success.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Well deserved, keep up the great work Robbie!
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Believed in him from the start, glad he's getting his props
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Alright Rob Lowe... now used some of that shady business to swindle us some more good players
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Hope Earvin comes back.

Probably earmarked for Kobe tbh.

I hope it doesn’t come to that tho. I’m still holding out hope for Masai. Probably futile tho.

I’ll let Rob have his moment and kudos to him for getting feelers out on Kuz...but to put it nicely I’m not a fan of what he did this past summer. Whoever thought turning Bron into a full time point gawd was a great idea needs a psych evaluation. Hate to be the team with a great regular season only to...you know what I’ll dodge this discussion for right now.

Rob prove you earned that extension and prove doubters like me wrong. The clock is literally ticking on our playoff hopes staying alive. This roster has holes, so please put that knife & bible down and put those fingers to work. Okay, I meant picking up the phone and dialing or at least physically plugging those holes with your....uh never mind, just pick up the phone after you’re done praying!

https://media1.tenor.com/images/bc917eea8880bfd3d8d26cb73371edc8/tenor.gif?itemid=8048589

Btw, Jeanie would be really sad to have Kuz traded...wait you don’t think she paid Rob off for not trad...nooo she wouldn’t do that, would she?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
He got a contract extension, too.

He deserves it, the guy has done a fantastic job for the Purple and Gold!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Vice President.
Come Masai as President!!!
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Gotta again agree with 17+.

Sure, Lakers have a nice record, but its all due to LBJ and AD, in spite of the bad roster construction by Pelinka. So Pelinka gets rewarded for bad roster construction? Great. Most people would get fired when they do a bad job.

And to praise Pelinka for Vogel's hiring? LOL Vogel was like the 5th choice! It may turn out ok or good, but don't tell me Pelinka (and the rest of the FO) knew what the bleep he was doing during the coaching search. So Pelinka shows his inexperience during a coaching search, yet gets promoted? Great.

Look, it's obvious. Pelinka is a "favorite" in the company due to Kobe. We have some "favorites" at my company..........people who suck at their job, but they kissed butt to certain people (or worse, wrongfully back-stabbed colleagues) and got promoted. I'm sure this happens at most or at a lot of companies.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 108 of 243
Jump to: