OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Lakers Team Building Options Part I: The Slow Rebuild

Quote:
Team building is ultimately about being opportunistic and flexible, rather than having a rigid plan that you follow no matter what. Rob Pelinka has spoken several times of the need to be prepared for uncertainty by coming up with “Plans A-Z,” which account for various possible future events. In that spirit,

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/05/13/lakers-team-building-options-part-i-the-slow-rebuild/

I LOVE THIS ARTICLE!!

"But I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."

I could not agree more!

Haven't read the whole article yet. I agree with that quote, but you also need to know *for sure* whether or not the current guys have star potential. There's some smarts that come along with selling high on a guy if you're not, well, sold.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:
Team building is ultimately about being opportunistic and flexible, rather than having a rigid plan that you follow no matter what. Rob Pelinka has spoken several times of the need to be prepared for uncertainty by coming up with “Plans A-Z,” which account for various possible future events. In that spirit,

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/05/13/lakers-team-building-options-part-i-the-slow-rebuild/

I LOVE THIS ARTICLE!!

"But I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."

I could not agree more!

Haven't read the whole article yet. I agree with that quote, but you also need to know *for sure* whether or not the current guys have star potential. There's some smarts that come along with selling high on a guy if you're not, well, sold.

It is a good read and outlines how I would rebuild if I were the GM- assuming Jeanie would not fire me for not making the playoffs in 2018!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

All we have to do is turn our young players into stars? How simple!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Believe it or not, young players actually improve as they get older and gain experience:) You may have noticed this concept in action on such teams as the Spurs and the Warriors.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“Magic and I really wanted to be there and felt like it was smartest for him to have a presence at the podium. It’s kind of how we work a little bit. He’s definitely the face and he’s so great at his leadership and lighting up the room. I like to be more behind the scenes and in the details.” 1 day ago – via Los Angeles Times
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Believe it or not, young players actually improve as they get older and gain experience:) You may have noticed this concept in action on such teams as the Spurs and the Warriors.

The Orlando Magic had a promising young core too. Not everyone improves on a Warriors-type of trajectory. In fact, that team is more of an outlier if anything. Very few young cores become that great. But there's more than one way to build a great team - not all the work is done through the draft. But at least some of it should be - depends on the guys drafted
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Warriors are as good as they are because of pure luck. Curry was THAT GUY and he suffered major ankle problems for two years, prompting him to sign a hugely below market value deal that the Dubs have been benefitting from ever since. They would have been good even with Curry maxed out, of course, but they wouldn't have been as deep and sure would not have KD.

Spurs have by far the best FO in the league. Ever since they lucked into the top pick that got them Duncan, who was THAT GUY for them, they've done a tremendous job of finding gems/providing unmatched player development that has given them a string of players who have been very effective for them. The Lakers' FO has not even come close in the same time period. Mitch inherited THAT GUY from Jerry West (Kobe, duh, a top ten guy easy in NBA history), and unlike the Pop and Buford, never found Kwahi, who is THAT GUY for the Spurs now. They also have one of the greatest coaches in NBA history at the helm.

The most important key is clearly having THAT GUY, and there's absolutely no guarantee we have him on the roster yet. The purgatory that fans worry about the Lakers falling into by trying to rebuild too quickly could just as easily be fallen into via the slow rebuild too. If Randle/Dlo/Ingram/the rest of our fleet of young guys show just enough to earn big extensions based on potential, we could muck up our cap space with guys who never push us over the top too, and end up in the first round/barely missing the playoffs purgatory.

Winning a ring is not easy and there's no guaranteed path, slow, expedited, or quick rebuild. If it was every team would have done it. The only thing teams can do is look to make the best decisions they can, and hope they strike lightning along the way.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Like everything else some do and some don't.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Rob: We have a plan in place if we lose the pick, we're in great shape as a franchise either way

Also Rob: https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/864676815943606272
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Rob brought us luck
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

You on the clock
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rob brought us luck
Rob & Magic!
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

I LOVE THIS ARTICLE!!

I could not agree more!

Most stars are born not made. I only see one potential star on the Lakers, and that is Ingram.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rob brought us luck

It's that Magic man that has the winning touch. Jeanne should have brought him in years ago.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Rob brought us luck

It's that Magic man that has the winning touch. Jeanne should have brought him in years ago.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Rob brought us luck

You realize they got the number two pick from the four slot with Byron Scott in the room, right? Should they bring him back?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Rob brought us luck

You realize they got the number two pick from the four slot with Byron Scott in the room, right? Should they bring him back?

Showtime mafia
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

The moment Rob Pelinka found out the Lakers won the No. 2 pick is incredible
Quote:
Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka was in the secured room, watching NBA officials decide the fate of his team one drawn number at a time. The NBA shared video of what happened behind closed doors, including a wide shot of everyone in attendance.

Pelinka’s reaction once the Lakers secured the No. 2 pick is absolutely perfect:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/5/16/15651394/la-lakers-nba-draft-lottery-reaction-rob-pelinka
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka was in the secured room, watching NBA officials decide the fate of his team one drawn number at a time. The NBA shared video of what happened behind closed doors, including a wide shot of everyone in attendance.

Pelinka’s reaction once the Lakers secured the No. 2 pick is absolutely perfect:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/5/16/15651394/la-lakers-nba-draft-lottery-reaction-rob-pelinka

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I think I did the exact same thing
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

That clip is awesome !
Glad he's our GM.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

That clip is awesome !
Glad he's our GM.

Oh so nice.....Thanks for the link....
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Some personality in this one.
Lack of one was Mitch's downfall.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

I get a great vibe from Rob and Magic! GO LAKERS!!!
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:

Considering just how bad the previous office was, it's great to see such quick results to the initial decisions of the new guys.

Call it what you want but IMO this new atmosphere is the energy from people who actually care about the brand and the game. Whether decisions are good or bad, their hearts are in it.

Again, people need to realize what we watched for the last few years was a guy focused on avoiding bankruptcy by selling off a stake.

(and no i don't mind repeating that considering the number of digs the new office has received on a FAN forum!)
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

The Orlando Magic had a promising young core too. Not everyone improves on a Warriors-type of trajectory. In fact, that team is more of an outlier if anything. Very few young cores become that great.

Very good point.

There seems to be this mindset here of "just keep the young core together and we automatically become the Warriors and win championships" when the reality is it is a huge gamble to keep the young core together, particularly when it comes to second contracts for these guys.

A better idea is to be flexible and that is what Pelinka and Magic are doing. My guess though is they will not sit around and wait on this young core because like me, I don't think they are sold on some or all of them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 13 of 243
Jump to: