Ding: Jerry West interesed in Returning to Lakers/Jeanie said No (Joining the Clips; p. 13)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
kinkle wrote:
Look I love Jerry, but he simply doesn't fit. Lakers are younger, sexier, they need high energy driven people. Pelinka, and Walton fit that mold (Jeannie might not be young but still sexy). There is only room for one older statesman, Morgan Freeman type role and Johnson has that covered. Jerry was great, but living off of past accomplishments is what made Mitch keeping his job far longer then he should have. Out with the old, and in with the new.

This is the other reason - if I'm Pelinka, I don't want Jerry looking over my shoulder. Too many bosses/people to report to can make a stressful job into an unbearable one.

Quite true... I love Office Space.
TransientTexan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
tox wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Bad blood from the Phil years perhaps.
Ah I didn't consider that. This is a good one.

The rumor at the time (RIP Joe McDonnell) was that Jerry hated the relationship.

I swear I actual read a quote from Jerry himself saying that it was one of the reasons he left. He hated the Jeanie/Phil relationship and predicted that it would only lead to trouble as it was a major conflict of interest.

Guess he was bang on about that...

no doubt. just saw another article today about it

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/03/10/report-jeanie-buss-resented-jim-buss-for-breakdown-in-her-relationship-with-phil-jackson/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

Some of the defenders are even trying to find a way to bash Jerry or act like he wouldn't bring anything to the team.

I can't

If anybody says in their life "What the heck does Jerry West bring to a team?" They may need to re-evaluate some things in their basketball sphere.

TransientTexan wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
tox wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

The rumor at the time (RIP Joe McDonnell) was that Jerry hated the relationship.

I swear I actual read a quote from Jerry himself saying that it was one of the reasons he left. He hated the Jeanie/Phil relationship and predicted that it would only lead to trouble as it was a major conflict of interest.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/03/10/report-jeanie-buss-resented-jim-buss-for-breakdown-in-her-relationship-with-phil-jackson/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

All that means is that Jeanie wouldn't have cared if Phil effed up the front office the way he's doing worse in New York, as long as it meant they could be together.

She's probably also pissed that Jerry was right about Phil.

Last edited by MJST on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

The Logo wrote:
What vision does Jerry instill that Jeanie doesn't see compatible? A winning one?

^I endorse this post. 100%.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
And what is the deal with Mitch and Jimbo sitting in a dark room concocting the Deng offer?

Is that true, did that happen?

I had not heard that one before.

Yeah that was interesting to me also. The way I saw it is, the Lakers missed out on Batum, DeRozan, Parsons off top. They had more discussions with Bazemore for 4y/72M. He declined and the Lakers lazily and desperately offered Deng the same deal.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ding: Jerry West was interesed in returning to Lakers/Jeanie said no

gblews wrote:
tox wrote:

You think he adds that qualifier if Jim Buss rejected Jerry West?

I think Ding would have added it if it had been Jim, and it had been true.

lol
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Although I never would trust a word Ding writes, if there was any truth to it, it is probably because where ever the Logo goes, he casts a large shadow.

In theory that's true. But I think he has been pretty quiet in GS. I bet the average fan probably wouldn't even know he is there.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
Look I love Jerry, but he simply doesn't fit. Lakers are younger, sexier, they need high energy driven people. Pelinka, and Walton fit that mold (Jeannie might not be young but still sexy). There is only room for one older statesman, Morgan Freeman type role and Johnson has that covered. Jerry was great, but living off of past accomplishments is what made Mitch keep his job far longer then he should have. Out with the old, and in with the new.

I think you have Magic and Jerry West confused, fam. Magic hasn't done anything notable in basketball in about 27 years. Jerry West's involvement in building a contender dates back to about zero seconds ago.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised Ding is even reporting this. He seems to be nothing more than Jeanie's personal publicist and this type of news doesn't really benefit her.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
Look I love Jerry, but he simply doesn't fit. Lakers are younger, sexier, they need high energy driven people. Pelinka, and Walton fit that mold (Jeannie might not be young but still sexy). There is only room for one older statesman, Morgan Freeman type role and Johnson has that covered. Jerry was great, but living off of past accomplishments is what made Mitch keep his job far longer then he should have. Out with the old, and in with the new.

Magic Johnson-0 years of FO experience
Rob Pelinka-0 years of FO experience
Luke Walton-1st year as HC

The FO needs experience. None of the less, I can see where some might feel West shadow is too big to bring into a new situation. But for a team that loves living in the past to find their answer, we sure do tend to skip over Jerry West a lot.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

She's probably also pissed that Jerry was right about Phil.

What was Jerry right about regarding Phil? That he would lead us to 5 rings/7 Finals in 11 seasons?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
kinkle wrote:

Magic Johnson-0 years of FO experience
Rob Pelinka-0 years of FO experience
Luke Walton-1st year as HC

The FO needs experience. None of the less, I can see where some might feel West shadow is too big to bring into a new situation. But for a team that loves living in the past to find their answer, we sure do tend to skip over Jerry West a lot.

At 79 (OK, 78 years, 287 days), that is a little too far in the past. His son, Ryan, is a respected member of the org - let him text his suggestions to Ryan.

Mitch had 30 years as GM and Asst GM. Jim had 19 as apprentice, VP and EVP. They had ups . . . and downs. Now it is Pelinka's term.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I'm surprised Ding is even reporting this. He seems to be nothing more than Jeanie's personal publicist and this type of news doesn't really benefit her.

Maybe he figured out he wasn't getting hooked up with John Black's job
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject:

TransientTexan wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
tox wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

It was also reported that Jimmy was also a factor in West leaving - West's wife wrote a letter to Jerry Buss about they knew it was just a matter of time before Jimmy was going to take West's job - so that (coupled with Phil being a jerk) made West decide to leave early.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't think we need multiple advisors in the FO... I'm pretty sure West is always welcomed back to the Organization as a Voice person.. anyone remember the press conference when he was motivating this year's Laker team?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
kinkle wrote:
Look I love Jerry, but he simply doesn't fit. Lakers are younger, sexier, they need high energy driven people. Pelinka, and Walton fit that mold (Jeannie might not be young but still sexy). There is only room for one older statesman, Morgan Freeman type role and Johnson has that covered. Jerry was great, but living off of past accomplishments is what made Mitch keeping his job far longer then he should have. Out with the old, and in with the new.

This is the other reason - if I'm Pelinka, I don't want Jerry looking over my shoulder. Too many bosses/people to report to can make a stressful job into an unbearable one.

Yeah, just look at what a mess Jerry made in Golden State.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Not possible. That would be acting too emotionally which we have been assured is all a figment of our gender bias.

Here's some female emotion for you:

tox wrote:
kinkle wrote:

I think you have Magic and Jerry West confused, fam. Magic hasn't done anything notable in basketball in about 27 years. Jerry West's involvement in building a contender dates back to about zero seconds ago.

Right?! !!!! (<--- more OC female emotion)

I think she didn't want him because she already knew what she was going to do, dumping Mitch/Jim and bringing in Magic was not this "spontaneous " thing that just "happened " like she tried to make it seem in her post-coup interview on Spectrum, and since that was all already in motion there was no need for West. So yeah... :-\
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
TransientTexan wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
tox wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

It was also reported that Jimmy was also a factor in West leaving - West's wife wrote a letter to Jerry Buss about they knew it was just a matter of time before Jimmy was going to take West's job - so that (coupled with Phil being a jerk) made West decide to leave early.

jerry west himself said that he has a really good relationship with jim buss. he said that he didn't like how phil treated him - 1 game, after a loss, phil told jerry west to get the bleep out of the locker room and he used to make immature remarks towards him. jerry west said that the lakers didn't feel like family anymore because of phil. he also said that jeanie and phil's relationship was really unprofessional and didn't like it. this is also the reason why jerry buss wasn't fond of phil.

Last edited by Outspoken on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
kinkle wrote:

Yeah, just look at what a mess Jerry made in Golden State.

But Magic will attract the big FA's. What FA's has Jerry's teams attracted?
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

If true, then obviously a mistake. He's Jerry West, who wouldn't want him as part of a brain trust.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I guess jerry buss wouldn't have wanted jerry west apart of the organization again
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
If Ding's statement is literally true, I agree with the criticism. However, I am guessing that Jerry wanted the team to bring in a conventional GM, and she and Magic wanted to bring in Pelinka. That makes more sense in terms of how there would be a different vision. If so, I'll give Jeanie the benefit of the doubt.

Jerry may have been pushing for the team to woo someone like Presti or Morey, or some Popovich disciple. If so, I would have been cool with that, too.

Similarly, it may have been that Jerry wanted to retain Mitch and would not take part in replacing him. He has said something similar in the past, IIRC.

That would make sense.

That's exactly what it was -
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
If Ding's statement is literally true, I agree with the criticism. However, I am guessing that Jerry wanted the team to bring in a conventional GM, and she and Magic wanted to bring in Pelinka. That makes more sense in terms of how there would be a different vision. If so, I'll give Jeanie the benefit of the doubt.

Jerry may have been pushing for the team to woo someone like Presti or Morey, or some Popovich disciple. If so, I would have been cool with that, too.

Similarly, it may have been that Jerry wanted to retain Mitch and would not take part in replacing him. He has said something similar in the past, IIRC.

That would make sense.

If that's the case (which I think it is) then I am glad we didn't go that route. Jerry West groomed Mitch and was very fond of him so it makes sense if he would only come back if Mitch stayed but imo Mitch is past his prime as a GM and doesn't have the shark mentality that is needed in today's game to lure top talent.

If Mitch staying wasn't a factor then I would be disappointed in Jeanie not wanting to bring the Logo back. He would be a great consultant for Magic to learn from and to pick his brain.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That would make sense.

no it wasn't.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Any vision that doesn't align with Logo's is the wrong one.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 3 of 35
Jump to: