Ding: Jerry West interesed in Returning to Lakers/Jeanie said No (Joining the Clips; p. 13)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject:

Watch ding read these comments... Next article is gonna be "Jerry west wanted to keep Mitch" straight from lakerground lol
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
kinkle wrote:
I can't believe all the losers crapping on Jeanie. She has put the Lakers in the best position to win since her dad died. Jerry West wanted to be GM, other sources said he would only come for the "right" opportunity. Sorry Jerry, you are pushing 100. He would need to hire a personal assistant to change his depends, we would lose out on deals because teams called after 6:00 PM when he was already asleep.

The Lakers need a hyper successful young prodigy with something to prove (like Rob), not another complacent old fart, even older then the one they just fired. There is a reason GSW didn't hire West as GM, he is an invaluable as a consultant, but anything more and he can just stay in the retirement home.

Calls people losers for "crapping on Jeanie."

Then craps on Jerry freaking West and calls him an "old fart" who should "stay in the retirement home."

Unbelievable.

This, imo, is outright disrespectful to one of the greatest contributors to the Lakers in its history.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

Can someone summarize the 2 camps feuding right now?

Is it Jeannie/Magic/Pelinka vs Jim/Mitch/?Jerry? or Just Jeannie vs Jim/Johnny?

This is not a good optic
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
kinkle wrote:
Look I love Jerry, but he simply doesn't fit. Lakers are younger, sexier, they need high energy driven people. Pelinka, and Walton fit that mold (Jeannie might not be young but still sexy). There is only room for one older statesman, Morgan Freeman type role and Johnson has that covered. Jerry was great, but living off of past accomplishments is what made Mitch keeping his job far longer then he should have. Out with the old, and in with the new.

This is the other reason - if I'm Pelinka, I don't want Jerry looking over my shoulder. Too many bosses/people to report to can make a stressful job into an unbearable one.

lol really? Dubs' GM who was also a former agent like Pelinka worked with West and West prevent the trade between Klay and Love, also helped recruit Durant to join. I guess that was so much stress for Myers.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

How can you be against Jerry West returning home?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Can someone summarize the 2 camps feuding right now?

Is it Jeannie/Magic/Pelinka vs Jim/Mitch/?Jerry? or Just Jeannie vs Jim/Johnny?

This is not a good optic

I don't know if West was ever part of this feud and certainly Mitch isn't anymore. An offer of help from West was made and rebuffed. I suspect the new brain trust wants to make this happen on their own.

I was never really certain of what West's "consultant" role with the Warriors entailed. Was Meyers answerable to him the way Pelinka will be to Magic or was he just there as another voice in the room? Given how much credit West gets on this board for the Warriors' success compared to Meyers I can understand why the new FO declined. I think it's dumb given their collective lack of experience but I understand it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

WWBD wrote:
MJST wrote:
ruin free agency meetings

WHICH, praytell, free agent meetings were those? You mean all the ones she wasn't invited to? The ones we sent our "closers" to (i.e., Jim, Mitch, and Byron)?

Get out of here with the Jeanie haterade.

According to LaMarcus Aldridge. His

The first meeting focused way too much on "los Angeles" and "deals" and all that other fluff Jeanie is in charge of selling and they barely got enough time to talk about basketball which was what Mitch and Jim were trying to do. The best part of that meeting was when Kobe Bryant got to talk.

The second meeting however where they cut Jeanie out entirely was the better meeting.

That's from Aldridge himself. So you can take that with you, or you can keep being the Jeremy Lin fans equivalent for Jeanie Buss.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

I find it hilarious that everyone was crapping on Jim for trying to do everything himself (even though that appeared false).

Everyone clamored that Jeanie and Magic will hire the right people in place to get us back on top (something that Jim refused to do).

And here Jeanie is rebuffing probably the one person who could end this gong show our front office has become by just his presence alone.

Just having Jerry West sit in those FA meetings and not say a word brings us instant credibility.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Aldridge had the chance to go back to his home state, play for the best coach, contend, transition into a Duncan-like role (at least that was the pitch), pay not State income tax and play with Kawhi.......or sign with LA to play for an end of the line Bryant and for Scott.

It wasn't the meeting.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
WWBD wrote:
MJST wrote:
ruin free agency meetings

WHICH, praytell, free agent meetings were those? You mean all the ones she wasn't invited to? The ones we sent our "closers" to (i.e., Jim, Mitch, and Byron)?

Get out of here with the Jeanie haterade.

According to LaMarcus Aldridge. His

The first meeting focused way too much on "los Angeles" and "deals" and all that other fluff Jeanie is in charge of selling and they barely got enough time to talk about basketball which was what Mitch and Jim were trying to do. The best part of that meeting was when Kobe Bryant got to talk.

The second meeting however where they cut Jeanie out entirely was the better meeting.

That's from Aldridge himself. So you can take that with you, or you can keep being the Jeremy Lin fans equivalent for Jeanie Buss.

Agenda driven
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Aldridge had the chance to go back to his home state, play for the best coach, contend, transition into a Duncan-like role (at least that was the pitch), pay not State income tax and play with Kawhi.......or sign with LA to play for an end of the line Bryant and for Scott.

It wasn't the meeting.

Also his sons mother lives in Texas apparently. So thats the same reason why Nash to contact with us over Toronto or ny
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
kinkle wrote:
Look I love Jerry, but he simply doesn't fit. Lakers are younger, sexier, they need high energy driven people. Pelinka, and Walton fit that mold (Jeannie might not be young but still sexy). There is only room for one older statesman, Morgan Freeman type role and Johnson has that covered. Jerry was great, but living off of past accomplishments is what made Mitch keeping his job far longer then he should have. Out with the old, and in with the new.

This is the other reason - if I'm Pelinka, I don't want Jerry looking over my shoulder. Too many bosses/people to report to can make a stressful job into an unbearable one.

lol really? Dubs' GM who was also a former agent like Pelinka worked with West and West prevent the trade between Klay and Love, also helped recruit Durant to join. I guess that was so much stress for Myers.

Dude, West advising the Dubs is not like West being back with the Lakers. West in LA won't be a voice - he'll be THE VOICE. If Rob has a different vision than Jerry, he won't be able to say "thanks, Jerry, but I want to go a different way." We already see how political the environment is at Lakers, Inc. Adding the Logo to the mix adds another camp. If I'm Pelinka, no thank you.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Palin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
kinkle wrote:

Dude, West advising the Dubs is not like West being back with the Lakers. West in LA won't be a voice - he'll be THE VOICE. If Rob has a different vision than Jerry, he won't be able to say "thanks, Jerry, but I want to go a different way." We already see how political the environment is at Lakers, Inc. Adding the Logo to the mix adds another camp. If I'm Pelinka, no thank you.

Well we know West has Best vision so why not just hire a cba guy and make West "the voice".
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Palin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
kinkle wrote:

Well we know West has Best vision so why not just hire a cba guy and make West "the voice".

Call it ageism, but I don't want an 80 year old as THE voice - not running my team, not running my church, not running my country, not as my doctor, not even making my pizzas. They may have VAST experience and wisdom - and great insights - but I don't want them calling the shot.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Good, what value what a 78 year old man bring to this team?

If we thought that way, the mods would ban Jodeke.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
george w kush wrote:

Upon joining in 2001.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject:

How would his vision be different than hers? Unless we're talking more than just the success of the team.....
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Nothing but goodwill for logo. Just because wooden was old at some point in his life doesn't make his takes less poignant, nor does it make his basketball acumen less acute. Same goes for jerry. Built the lakers in the 80s and patiently rebuilt the lakers in what would become the Shaq / Kobe dynasty. Left the lakers and did it again in building this juggernaut warrior team.

Although opinionated he has always conducted himself with class and he deserves a ton of respect. I get Jeannie wanting people who are perceived as allies right now with the tumultuous ownership situation but the rest of you crapping on jerry west is just smh.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Nothing but goodwill for logo. Just because wooden was old at some point in his life doesn't make his takes less poignant, nor does it make his basketball acumen less acute. Same goes for jerry. Built the lakers in the 80s and patiently rebuilt the lakers in what would become the Shaq / Kobe dynasty. Left the lakers and did it again in building this juggernaut warrior team.

Although opinionated he has always conducted himself with class and he deserves a ton of respect. I get Jeannie wanting people who are perceived as allies right now with the tumultuous ownership situation but the rest of you crapping on jerry west is just smh.

John Wooden retired at 65.
Bill Sharman - who was West before West - retired at 65.
Pete Newell retired at 61.

All those guys had stuff to contribute after they retired and they did contribute - but not as shot callers.

Exception: Red Auerbach. Auerbach stepped down as GM, but stayed on as President and Vice Chairman from age 68 until his death at 89. THAT PERIOD WAS THE LONGEST CHAMPIONSHIP DROUGHT IN TEAM HISTORY.

Jerry West's mind may still be sharp. Great. I'm positive that Jeanie, Magic, Rob, Jesse, Ryan, Joey, Luke and everyone else will take his calls and listen to what he has to say.

I do not, however, want him at the table.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Last I checked Jerry West while employed by the Warriors also has some ownership stake. And chances of him getting a stake with the Lakers are slim to none given the trustee setup. So obviously that's a no-no.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Palin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Palin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
kinkle wrote:

Call it ageism, but I don't want an 80 year old as THE voice - not running my team, not running my church, not running my country, not as my doctor, not even making my pizzas. They may have VAST experience and wisdom - and great insights - but I don't want them calling the shot.

You act like he'd be expected to make snap judgments while juggling bowling pins and riding a unicycle. He'd be here for his vision. This is the guy who laid his ass on the line to keep Klay a Warrior, which turned out to be a championship producing decision. He had a clear vision for the team and he stuck with it. I highly doubt he'd come here and try to micromanage the front office. That's not what he does in GS so I doubt he'd try that here all of a sudden. This man knows championships and he knows talent. Not using his talents is nothing more than ego-driven bureaucracy getting in its own way.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

Pete Newell traded for Kareem.

Bill Sharman signed Wilkes, drafted Magic (over West's and Chick's objections), drafted Nixon, drafted Cooper, drafted Worthy, drafted Rambis, traded for McAdoo, drafted Byron Scott.

Jerry West has a spectacular resume of his own - the way he maneuvered to sign Shaq forced the NBA to change the CBA and he was masterful at picking up the key piece at midseason - but it's neither fair to his predecessors nor accurate to sat the 80s was all The Logo. He played a big part as a part-time scout and advisor, but the guys who were there before him were excellent basketball men - and Hall of Famers - in their own right.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
george w kush wrote:

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
Last I checked Jerry West while employed by the Warriors also has some ownership stake. And chances of him getting a stake with the Lakers are slim to none given the trustee setup. So obviously that's a no-no.

That was also the other rumored reason for him leaving in 2000. Supposedly, West felt underpaid and underappreciated - there was talk that Dr. Buss reneged on a promised bonus - and Buss was known to scrimp on staff while he paid his stars. The story was that West felt he deserved a piece of the team for his service and Buss wasn;t inclined to give one to West even though he gave one to Magic.

West was given a piece of the Dubs and doubtless would have to sell it to come back to LA.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

Pete Newell traded for Kareem.

Bill Sharman signed Wilkes, drafted Magic (over West's and Chick's objections), drafted Nixon, drafted Cooper, drafted Worthy, drafted Rambis, traded for McAdoo, drafted Byron Scott.

Jerry West has a spectacular resume of his own - the way he maneuvered to sign Shaq forced the NBA to change the CBA and he was masterful at picking up the key piece at midseason - but it's neither fair to his predecessors nor accurate to sat the 80s was all The Logo. He played a big part as a part-time scout and advisor, but the guys who were there before him were excellent basketball men - and Hall of Famers - in their own right.

Not trying to smarty pants you, here, Doc, but Rambis is an interesting tale. Same difference, Sharman/West still found him, but he was drafted by the Knicks in 80 and played in Greece in his first year of pro ball. NY pulled him back over for a 10 day, but he never logged a game with them. Bada bing, bada boom, he made it onto LA's 81/2 preseason roster and stuck. He eventually solidified a starting role within a month or two against McAdoo in the absence of Mitch, who tore his ACL in Dec (while smacking Kobe's dad on the way down). He's one of the more major rags to riches leaps you can think of. He's 10 day fodder in Greece and suddenly playing for a title with Magic and Kareem. A lot of younger fans don't even realize he was our starting PF for a number of years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 5 of 35
Jump to: