Ding: Jerry West interesed in Returning to Lakers/Jeanie said No (Joining the Clips; p. 13)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Nothing but goodwill for logo. Just because wooden was old at some point in his life doesn't make his takes less poignant, nor does it make his basketball acumen less acute. Same goes for jerry. Built the lakers in the 80s and patiently rebuilt the lakers in what would become the Shaq / Kobe dynasty. Left the lakers and did it again in building this juggernaut warrior team.

Although opinionated he has always conducted himself with class and he deserves a ton of respect. I get Jeannie wanting people who are perceived as allies right now with the tumultuous ownership situation but the rest of you crapping on jerry west is just smh.

Pete Newell traded for Kareem.

Bill Sharman signed Wilkes, drafted Magic (over West's and Chick's objections), drafted Nixon, drafted Cooper, drafted Worthy, drafted Rambis, traded for McAdoo, drafted Byron Scott.

Jerry West has a spectacular resume of his own - the way he maneuvered to sign Shaq forced the NBA to change the CBA and he was masterful at picking up the key piece at midseason - but it's neither fair to his predecessors nor accurate to sat the 80s was all The Logo. He played a big part as a part-time scout and advisor, but the guys who were there before him were excellent basketball men - and Hall of Famers - in their own right.

Not trying to smarty pants you, here, Doc, but Rambis is an interesting tale. Same difference, Sharman/West still found him, but he was drafted by the Knicks in 80 and played in Greece in his first year of pro ball. NY pulled him back over for a 10 day, but he never logged a game with them. Bada bing, bada boom, he made it onto LA's 81/2 preseason roster and stuck. He eventually solidified a starting role within a month or two against McAdoo in the absence of Mitch, who tore his ACL in Dec (while smacking Kobe's dad on the way down). He's one of the more major rags to riches leaps you can think of. He's 10 day fodder in Greece and suddenly playing for a title with Magic and Kareem. A lot of younger fans don't even realize he was our starting PF for a number of years.

I appreciate you for correcting the record. After almost 40 years, the details get fuzzy.

What makes it funny to me is seeing a Rambis interview around 2000-01 where the interviewer is asking Rambis to compare himself to Mark Madsen. Rambis says "Madsen is a great hustle guy, but I actually had talent."

I'm saying to myself "dude, you were the EPITOME of a no-talent hustle guy hanging around the league for 14 years."
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

That's very disappointing, if Ding is reporting actual news that's correct. If Jeanie's inclination was actually "no" to an act of reaching out to Jerry West for an exploration of mutual interest, we fans probably need to reduce our expectations for the club's future further. I'd need no more evidence than that as demonstration of the extent to which we're still witnessing a second rate clarity of franchise vision, at best.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

Is this a Joke? Logo, the architect of showtime, lake show, Kobe Shaq, the greater half of Kobe Pau, the Grizz, and a lot of what's going on with the dubbs wants to come back and we say no? Oh magic and that gigalo better win because if they don't Jeanie is going down as the inverse of her father. The single worst owner in sports history.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

I don't know what the exact circumstances were from Jeannie's point of view,
but from a pure basketball standpoint, if Jerry is available in any advisor capacity, you take it.

If there were old time grudges that still exist, then Jeannie should have got over it.

West is still the smartest man in basketball.

Maybe some sportswriter or radio host will get an explanation about this?

Bye.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

the only reason i can think of and i hope i'm dead wrong here is Jeanie does not want Jerry here because the door is still open for Phil Jackson to return as a senior advisor role, god i hope not.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

^

I figure that the door is closed in Jennie's mind on Phil's return to this club. That however wouldn't exclude the likelihood of significant residual mistrust of Jerry West to remain in her head, implanted by her former ZenMaster.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

i feel like ding needs his ding kicked for putting out such an article at the worst possible time
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
i feel like ding needs his ding kicked for putting out such an article at the worst possible time

Unlike every other time? The dysfunction between the FO and Buss kids is about the only thing interesting to report about the team. His articles are timed to maximize the number of hits.

We can only hope with Jeanie consolidating power that this will eventually become a non-story and the news can be focused on more positives.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

LOL, Ding has been 'conveniently' putting out articles at the worst possible time (eve of Free Agency) every freakin' year.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Nothing but goodwill for logo. Just because wooden was old at some point in his life doesn't make his takes less poignant, nor does it make his basketball acumen less acute. Same goes for jerry. Built the lakers in the 80s and patiently rebuilt the lakers in what would become the Shaq / Kobe dynasty. Left the lakers and did it again in building this juggernaut warrior team.

Although opinionated he has always conducted himself with class and he deserves a ton of respect. I get Jeannie wanting people who are perceived as allies right now with the tumultuous ownership situation but the rest of you crapping on jerry west is just smh.

John Wooden retired at 65.
Bill Sharman - who was West before West - retired at 65.
Pete Newell retired at 61.

All those guys had stuff to contribute after they retired and they did contribute - but not as shot callers.

Exception: Red Auerbach. Auerbach stepped down as GM, but stayed on as President and Vice Chairman from age 68 until his death at 89. THAT PERIOD WAS THE LONGEST CHAMPIONSHIP DROUGHT IN TEAM HISTORY.

Jerry West's mind may still be sharp. Great. I'm positive that Jeanie, Magic, Rob, Jesse, Ryan, Joey, Luke and everyone else will take his calls and listen to what he has to say.

I do not, however, want him at the table.

You wouldn't want Jerry West at the table?!?

Say what you want about his age, but, imo, just having him at the table not even saying a single word would be huge for free agents.

He has that much reverence
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

I guarantee you if the article replaces the name Jeanie with Jim, we aren't having this argument...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I guarantee you if the article replaces the name Jeanie with Jim, we aren't having this argument...

jim has to be the most hated man in laker land... more than coach Byron
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And this conversation goes to show that it isn't exactly a factual calculation.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
999 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Do you think Ding is just making it up to create noise? like how TJ Simers did
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
999 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

No. My guess is they (read Jeanie and Magic) are getting out in front of it now, get it out of the way and buried.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
999 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
999 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

No. My guess is they (read Jeanie and Magic) are getting out in front of it now, get it out of the way and buried.

Which would be a masterful PR maneuver. People are still unsure what to think but the base narrative, (Jim & Mitch weren't cutting it; Magic is connected and Pelinka is a stud) give them cover on keeping West from becoming a sore spot. Once reality sets in and they don't immediately light the world on fire the prospects of keeping West out becomes a lot trickier. West is probably too old and cares too much about the franchise to wage a public battle.

On the underlying point, Jeanie is a shark and she did her brother, Mitch (and Laker fans honestly) dirty. But she was committed to take power by any means necessary. Jim didn't keep his enemy close enough and he paid the price that usually comes with that.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

jwbrown77 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kinkle wrote:
I can't believe all the losers crapping on Jeanie. She has put the Lakers in the best position to win since her dad died. Jerry West wanted to be GM, other sources said he would only come for the "right" opportunity. Sorry Jerry, you are pushing 100. He would need to hire a personal assistant to change his depends, we would lose out on deals because teams called after 6:00 PM when he was already asleep.

The Lakers need a hyper successful young prodigy with something to prove (like Rob), not another complacent old fart, even older then the one they just fired. There is a reason GSW didn't hire West as GM, he is an invaluable as a consultant, but anything more and he can just stay in the retirement home.

Calls people losers for "crapping on Jeanie."

Then craps on Jerry freaking West and calls him an "old fart" who should "stay in the retirement home."

Unbelievable.

This, imo, is outright disrespectful to one of the greatest contributors to the Lakers in its history.

Agreed!!! Uncool!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
999 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
999 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Which would be a masterful PR maneuver. People are still unsure what to think but the base narrative, (Jim & Mitch weren't cutting it; Magic is connected and Pelinka is a stud) give them cover on keeping West from becoming a sore spot. Once reality sets in and they don't immediately light the world on fire the prospects of keeping West out becomes a lot trickier. West is probably too old and cares too much about the franchise to wage a public battle.

On the underlying point, Jeanie is a shark and she did her brother, Mitch (and Laker fans honestly) dirty. But she was committed to take power by any means necessary. Jim didn't keep his enemy close enough and he paid the price that usually comes with that.

Yeah, it is good PR. Better to have it out now while the majority of fans are still excited. Jeanie is like Trump in the way that she understands how to manipulate fan anger and excitement to create a reality that is impermeable by any contrary facts, where Jim is a non political technocrat.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kinkle wrote:
I can't believe all the losers crapping on Jeanie. She has put the Lakers in the best position to win since her dad died. Jerry West wanted to be GM, other sources said he would only come for the "right" opportunity. Sorry Jerry, you are pushing 100. He would need to hire a personal assistant to change his depends, we would lose out on deals because teams called after 6:00 PM when he was already asleep.

The Lakers need a hyper successful young prodigy with something to prove (like Rob), not another complacent old fart, even older then the one they just fired. There is a reason GSW didn't hire West as GM, he is an invaluable as a consultant, but anything more and he can just stay in the retirement home.

Calls people losers for "crapping on Jeanie."

Then craps on Jerry freaking West and calls him an "old fart" who should "stay in the retirement home."

Unbelievable.

This, imo, is outright disrespectful to one of the greatest contributors to the Lakers in its history.

Agreed!!! Uncool!

Guy was probably sickened when he saw that West had taken over for Arnold Palmer in the Xarelto commercials.
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

How exactly does this conversation between Jerry and Jeanie take place without violating league tampering rules?

Code:

"Article 35A of the NBA Constitution states that it's a violation of the league's anti-tampering rule for any person affiliated with an NBA team to directly or indirectly (i) entice, induce, or persuade, or attempt to entice, induce or persuade, any player, coach, GM or other person under contract to any other NBA team to enter into negotiations for or relating to that person's services or to negotiate or contract for such services, or (ii) otherwise interfere with the employment relationship between that employee and the other NBA team."

For this conversation to even take place, permission has to be obtained from the league office. If a conversation took place and the league was not notified, whoever initiated the conversation or perhaps both parties are subject to a fine.

Imagine this scenario:

Jerry to Jeanie: "Now that so many years have passed, I look back fondly at those days when your dad and I put together some really great teams. It makes me want to be a Laker again, but those days have come and gone. I'm really enjoying my time with the Warriors."

Jeanie to Linda Rambis: "I talked to Jerry West today. He still misses being a Laker, but his time is over. He should stay with the Warriors"

Linda to Ding: "Jerry wishes he was a Laker again., but Jeanie said he should stay with the Warriors."

Ding on BR: "Jerry wants to come back to the Lakers. Jeanie turned him away."

Result: Click bait and a lot of noise. Was there an earnest conversation about Jerry coming back to the Lakers? I doubt it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
How exactly does this conversation between Jerry and Jeanie take place without violating league tampering rules?

Code:

"Article 35A of the NBA Constitution states that it's a violation of the league's anti-tampering rule for any person affiliated with an NBA team to directly or indirectly (i) entice, induce, or persuade, or attempt to entice, induce or persuade, any player, coach, GM or other person under contract to any other NBA team to enter into negotiations for or relating to that person's services or to negotiate or contract for such services, or (ii) otherwise interfere with the employment relationship between that employee and the other NBA team."

For this conversation to even take place, permission has to be obtained from the league office. If a conversation took place and the league was not notified, whoever initiated the conversation or perhaps both parties are subject to a fine.

Imagine this scenario:

Jerry to Jeanie: "Now that so many years have passed, I look back fondly at those days when your dad and I put together some really great teams. It makes me want to be a Laker again, but those days have come and gone. I'm really enjoying my time with the Warriors."

Jeanie to Linda Rambis: "I talked to Jerry West today. He still misses being a Laker, but his time is over. He should stay with the Warriors"

Linda to Ding: "Jerry wishes he was a Laker again., but Jeanie said he should stay with the Warriors."

Result: Click bait and a lot of noise. Was there an earnest conversation about Jerry coming back to the Lakers? I doubt it.

I suppose when you speculate, and your speculation is based on your opinion, then your speculation is going to tend to reaffirm your opinion.
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
misterioso wrote:

Code:

Imagine this scenario:

I suppose when you speculate, and your speculation is based on your opinion, then your speculation is going to tend to reaffirm your opinion.

Sure, the conversation scenario is indeed imagined, but league tampering rules are not. How does an earnest conversation take place without drawing the curiosity of the league, unless of course, it never took place?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
misterioso wrote:

Code:

Imagine this scenario:

Sure, the conversation scenario is indeed imagined, but league tampering rules are not. How does an earnest conversation take place without drawing the curiosity of the league, unless of course, it never took place?

Well, it might depend upon who initiated it, and other factors not available to the public...
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
misterioso wrote:

Code:

Imagine this scenario:

Jerry West wrote:
Hello, Ryan? This is your Dad. Would you please tell Jeanie that I would love to return to the Lakers? Thanks."
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
misterioso wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
misterioso wrote:

Code:

Imagine this scenario:

Jerry West wrote:
Hello, Ryan? This is your Dad. Would you please tell Jeanie that I would love to return to the Lakers? Thanks."

Still tampering...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 6 of 35
Jump to: