Ding: Jerry West interesed in Returning to Lakers/Jeanie said No (Joining the Clips; p. 13)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

What if a party had permission?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Not trying to smarty pants you, here, Doc, but Rambis is an interesting tale. Same difference, Sharman/West still found him, but he was drafted by the Knicks in 80 and played in Greece in his first year of pro ball. NY pulled him back over for a 10 day, but he never logged a game with them. Bada bing, bada boom, he made it onto LA's 81/2 preseason roster and stuck. He eventually solidified a starting role within a month or two against McAdoo in the absence of Mitch, who tore his ACL in Dec (while smacking Kobe's dad on the way down). He's one of the more major rags to riches leaps you can think of. He's 10 day fodder in Greece and suddenly playing for a title with Magic and Kareem. A lot of younger fans don't even realize he was our starting PF for a number of years.

Good stuff.

We could use a modern day Kurt Rambis type on this team now. He was willing to do the dirty work inside, he wouldn't always get the rebound but he was always at least trying to box out and wasn't afraid to put his body on you.

In other words, he scrapped. We need some scrap.

Rambis Youth, out
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Maybe there was permission and that part of the story hasn't come out yet.

I remember there was a slight buzz about Jerry West in early February.

Warriors owner Joe Lacob on Jerry West’s future beyond this season: “We’re going to do something that works for him and works for us” ( By TIM KAWAKAMI )

Quote:

Previous to the hospital episode, West had been telling associates that he wasn’t sure what he’d do after this season, but he knew he still wanted to remain active with a team.

Just yesterday, long-time NBA writer Mark Heisler suggested in the Orange County Register that the Lakers should bring back West as a big part of their continuing front-office shake-up.

Multiple sources indicated to me that West might be intrigued by an offer from the Lakers, but he also feels very connected to the Warriors’ quest for championships.

West, one of the greatest executives of all-time from his Lakers and Memphis days, has been a vital part of the Warriors’ turn-around since joining the franchise in May 2011 as an executive board member and key front-office voice.
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

What if this, what if that. The league is always interested in what-if's considering they're responsible for enforcing their charter and by-laws. Considering the language exists in the league charter, I would think a courtesy call to the league office would take place prior to any discussion about changing jobs.

Jerry owns a piece of the Warriors. I would assume there's a bit more formality when franchise shareholders have any type of discussions with other teams. In the corporate world, executives who have discussions with competing organizations without prior consent are usually demoted or dismissed on the spot. Being that both organizations have multi-billion dollar valuations, I would hope that there is still a modicum of corporate ethics ruling the actions of their executive staff.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

What if this, what if that. The league is always interested in what-if's considering they're responsible for enforcing their charter and by-laws. Considering the language exists in the league charter, I would think a courtesy call to the league office would take place prior to any discussion about changing jobs.

Jerry owns a piece of the Warriors. I would assume there's a bit more formality when franchise shareholders have any type of discussions with other teams. In the corporate world, executives who have discussions with competing organizations without prior consent are usually demoted or dismissed on the spot. Being that both organizations have multi-billion dollar valuations, I would hope that there is still a modicum of corporate ethics ruling the actions of their executive staff.

You are welcome to believe that the existing tampering rules are a strict barrier to West indicating that he might want to work for the Lakers. To many, it isn't far-fetched at all.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Nothing but goodwill for logo. Just because wooden was old at some point in his life doesn't make his takes less poignant, nor does it make his basketball acumen less acute. Same goes for jerry. Built the lakers in the 80s and patiently rebuilt the lakers in what would become the Shaq / Kobe dynasty. Left the lakers and did it again in building this juggernaut warrior team.

Although opinionated he has always conducted himself with class and he deserves a ton of respect. I get Jeannie wanting people who are perceived as allies right now with the tumultuous ownership situation but the rest of you crapping on jerry west is just smh.

John Wooden retired at 65.
Bill Sharman - who was West before West - retired at 65.
Pete Newell retired at 61.

All those guys had stuff to contribute after they retired and they did contribute - but not as shot callers.

Exception: Red Auerbach. Auerbach stepped down as GM, but stayed on as President and Vice Chairman from age 68 until his death at 89. THAT PERIOD WAS THE LONGEST CHAMPIONSHIP DROUGHT IN TEAM HISTORY.

Jerry West's mind may still be sharp. Great. I'm positive that Jeanie, Magic, Rob, Jesse, Ryan, Joey, Luke and everyone else will take his calls and listen to what he has to say.

I do not, however, want him at the table.

You wouldn't want Jerry West at the table?!?

Say what you want about his age, but, imo, just having him at the table not even saying a single word would be huge for free agents.

He has that much reverence

He has that much reverence in Lakers circles.

The man has had a GREAT run - a SPECTACULAR run - but as we admire his cape and his bronze statue, let us remember that 1) he was not always successful, and 2) everyone's time comes to an end.

LAKERS - West took over a Lakers team that had won 2 championships and had been to 4 finals in 5 years. The core of that team - Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Scott, Cooper - was already in place when West took the helm. He did a great job keeping it going, adding pieces like Thompson and Green, then it ran its course. He then made two humoungous gambles in trading Vlade for Kobe and then signing Shaq, creating the foundation for the 3-Peat.

MEMPHIS - Took a franchise that was a perennial lottery team and got them to 3-straight playoff appearances. The core (Gasol, Battier, Williams) was already in place, but he picked up some savvy vets to take them to the next level. The vets broke down, however, and he traded some young pieces, so by the time he stepped down, the team he left had worse prospects than the team he inherited and his record was 194-216 with 0 playoff wins.

WARRIORS - He walked into the door with Steph Curry already on the team, then successfully recommended that the team remove the GM who drafted Klay Thompson after he traded Monta Ellis for oft injured Andrew Bogut. The same guy who also pushed them to draft Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green. Certainly, the team took off afterwards - but it was with the deposed GM's players. To be fair, he helped clean up a lot of the Dubs' dysfunctional culture, but the pieces were there already.

West did a lot more than just "show up" - he made stuff happen - but he also didn't turn water into wine. When talent was thin, he struggled and need years to build. To think he's coming in and repairing Mitch's Magic Wand is fantasy.

COULD WEST STILL BE AN ASSET TO THE LAKERS AT 79?

Maybe. But he'd have to sell his piece of the Warriors and get out of his existing contract. I can't seeing him doing that and then agreeing to defer to Pelinka, Magic & Jeanie. Heck - he had issues deferring to ODB! And if he wasn't going to defer, that's not want Jeanie OR the team needed.

If he wants to help out, then let him text suggestions to Ryan.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

West has a gravitas that frankly nobody else in the league has. If he's in the room when the Lakers are trying to sell a free agent on joining the team, West is an asset every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

He wouldn't be looking to do all the heavy lifting and grunt work, he's beyond all that now. But having him in the room when it's crunch time...that's invaluable.

Don't know how or if he fits with the new regime, but they'd be insane not to at least float the idea to him.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
West has a gravitas that frankly nobody else in the league has. If he's in the room when the Lakers are trying to sell a free agent on joining the team, West is an asset every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

He wouldn't be looking to do all the heavy lifting and grunt work, he's beyond all that now. But having him in the room when it's crunch time...that's invaluable.

Don't know how or if he fits with the new regime, but they'd be insane not to at least float the idea to him.

Agree 100%

How you would not want him at in the room while pitching to free agents is just mind-boggling.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

A setup with Pelinka, Magic and West would probably have had overlap in some areas while leaving some weakness in the analytics - cutting edge side of the business.

Would Magic defer to West on key decisions?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

If you can get West you get West. End of story.

I don't know if this article is true or not, but damn if it is true, that is some messed up crap.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

i dont think jeanie would miss an opportunity to have jerry west back. neither would magic. Magic is just a homer as all of us.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

Times like this, I really wish we would have Jerry West here. But no, we are in a position where the players, head coach, GM, and President all have 0 related experience in their current position.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
i dont think jeanie would miss an opportunity to have jerry west back. neither would magic. Magic is just a homer as all of us.

I wouldn't put ANYTHING past Jeanie given the crap she's pulled lately

And remember, Jerry openly hates her lover Phil.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
According to Tim Kawakami of Mercury News, the Warriors and Jerry West have had preliminary discussions of an extension (Twitter link). While the interview didn’t delve into his long-term plans with Golden State, West held an informative Q&A with Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
999 wrote:

I wouldn't put ANYTHING past Jeanie given the crap she's pulled lately

And remember, Jerry openly hates her lover Phil.

Ex-lover
D's Advocate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject:

West was intrigued by the possibility of an eventual position somewhere with the Lakers. For some this has become Jerry West coming to the Lakers asking to be GM/Presops only to have Jeannie slam the door in his face. There's almost zero percent chance that he was going to come in to take GM from Mitch, zero. Jerry wouldn't do that to Mitch. Even if Mitch was already fired he wouldn't take the empty seat. Jerry doesn't work like that. He would likely retire before entertaining that scenario.

The only structure in which Jerry West returned is one where Mitch and possibly even Jim are kept and Ryan is groomed to take Mitch's place eventually with Jerry coming on as consultant. I think this is what they're alluding to when they say that the Lakers future isn't compatible with what Jerry West would bring. Jerry West does not come to a Laker team that fires Mitch point blank.

Jerry West didn't leave the Lakers on the best of terms. We know he clashed with the culture of the Lakers and in particular Phil Jackson. Even before Jackson he clashed to a degree with the lifestyle of Jerry Buss. It's why he got along with Kobe so well, they were both cut from the same cloth. They were just about basketball. Jerry respected Dr. Buss immensely but at the same time wasn't entirely comfortable with that aspect of Buss' life. Phil wasn't exactly a party animal but Phil was in his own way show biz and West wasn't and they didn't get along. It's why eventually West had to leave.

For better of for worse Pelinka and Magic are as show biz as they come, which is why West wouldn't have been the best fit. The choice wasn't Jerry West as GM vs Rob Pelinka as GM like many are getting angry about. The choice was more likely keeping the regime intact with West as a consultant or cleaning house. Even if this doesn't ultimately work out in the short term I still think it's a net gain to clear the slate and expel the Jimmy people before it turned into a Dolan like situation.

Phil Jackson putzing around on a sinking major market money machine lead by a brainless heir and heartless super star. That's the ghost of basketball future right there Laker buddies. We have been gifted the rare live look at our possible worst case scenario. Let's hope they do their best to steer clear from it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Report: Warriors, Jerry West nearing deal to keep him with franchise

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/27/report-warriors-jerry-west-nearing-deal-to-keep-him-with-franchise/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Good for him. I wish he came to the Lakers but he will always be a Laker.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Im hoping it doesn't fall through and he comes to the lakers
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

By having his son you get his advice without paying him. It is not like he doesn't discuss things with his dad
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

He would be here right now if it wasn't for Jeanie.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

It already fell through.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject:

vicman wrote:
By having his son you get his advice without paying him. It is not like he doesn't discuss things with his dad

I guess that's one way to rationalize a stupid move.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

vicman wrote:

Doubtful that Ryan is calling his dad and saying "guess who we worked out and will be the steal of the second round". So no, GS is getting Jerry's advice, not the Lakers.
dlofan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject:

When the Clippers are trying to make good moves, but the Lakers won't you know there is something terribly wrong with this ownership/front office. I mean, come on, the Clippers?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19501765/los-angeles-clippers-interested-hiring-jerry-west-away-golden-state-warriors
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 7 of 35
Jump to: