Ding: Jerry West interesed in Returning to Lakers/Jeanie said No (Joining the Clips; p. 13)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
danzag wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
But realistically how much cache are you trying to get from an 80 year old consultant that Magic hasn't already proven he provides?

Do we really have to answer this question?

YES!

Please tell me what FA is going to sign with us because Magic AND Jerry are pitching rather than just Magic.

You do realize that Magic has been able to get every draft eligible player to work out for us including Fultz.

And you do realize that there is a BIG difference in the reverence players hold for Magic compared to Jerry?

So please do answer the question unless this is really just about how the move makes you feel.

Another aspect to see your question is what negative influence would it be if there are Magic and Jerry pitching rather than just Magic. Both of them are well-respected among the NBA players.
What you see now is you could have prevented Clippers getting an influential person on the table.
This is not just about pitching to the free agents. It is also about Magic should try to seek advice and help to ensure he makes the right decision because he is so inexperienced.
To be honest, I won't be surprised if Magic's plan is to get rid of Ryan West as well so he can put in some new blood and makes sure no one challenges him once he makes a decision.

How many businesses has Magic run to enormous profits?

Was he not mentored by Dr. Buss?

Has he not already hired Pelinka and begun assembling a very impressive scouting department, analytic department, player development staff?

This narrative that he's inexperienced is a whole lot of baloney.

Can you name one thing besides the Magic Johnson talk show that was an unmitigated failure from a business perspective?

And if I'm not mistaken he's mentioned Ryan West as a key cog to the FO on multiple occasions...so he's now a 2 faced liar?

Look...I get the reverence for Jerry...I have the same feelings. But I stop at Jerry is a make or break component. Magic clearly wants to do this his way...and surprise, surprise the compensation package the Clippers paid Jerry is insane for a consultant thanks to Ballmer's $$$$.

I know money isn't an issue...but how could you justify paying a consultant more than your GM?

He has never taken a basketball general manager job. That makes him inexperience no matter what other business he did in the past. His previous comments about young prospect such as Okafor should make you be aware of that. There are some pitfalls that you wouldn't know about until you are actually on the spot. If you think he already has all the knowledge he needs to bring Lakers back to the top again, then so be it. Otherwise, he should seek advice from the expert and the fact that he is not willing to is a dangerous sign.
This is similar to when Lavar Ball said his son doesn't need to train with Kobe. All we saw is arrogant and ignorance.

In addition we've seen multiple HOF legends fail to succeed as FO's (Jordan, Mchale, Thomas, Baylor).

We've also seen arrogance cause FO failure as well (Phil with the knicks)

We've also seen Magic already fail in a basketball-related activity (Coaching).

As you've alluded to, Magic not doing the steps to maximize his chances to succeed like hiring west is concerning. It's the equivalent of drafting a prospect like okafor, who not only has evidence his talents won't succeed in the league but also a poor work ethic that compounds the issue as well.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

Following isn't to bash Jwest, its just how i'd describe it.

Right now is the team JWest envisioned. He's said how much he supports Klay. Klay is the first to renegotiate under the current situation (2 rings, 3 finals).

In general it really looks like a mountain of a task to avoid paying over a billion in lux tax to pay all these guys what they deserve.

Maybe Jwest didn't want to be attached to that part of the story.

As far as our FO, very disappointed. Jwest IS what Magic/Pelinka sold their souls at a chance of becoming. If it was just about money, they should have paid the man.

If Jwest made a ton of rude comments when Jeanie was younger; different story and can't blame her. Especially when those comments were about nepotism; which was happened to be his hypocritical angle with the public.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
epak wrote:
https://youtu.be/PkEcsnIN32c

I wonder if they gave a shout out to Jerry.
Dray gave one to Bob.

really nobody cares in warriors organization or fan club that j west left

everybody is happy he didnt loot the warriors this time around for another piece in ownership

He doesn't have ownership in the Warriors. #fact
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Can't believe the amount of people in this thread trying to downplay this.

Make no mistake about it, this is the new regime's first major F up. Now, that doesn't mean that they don't be able to do a good job without West. But anyone who thinks we're better off WITHOUT Jerry West in some front office capacity than WITH Jerry West is in denial.

Second. The first screwup was firing Mitch.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Make no mistake about it, this is the new regime's first major F up. Now, that doesn't mean that they don't be able to do a good job without West. But anyone who thinks we're better off WITHOUT Jerry West in some front office capacity than WITH Jerry West is in denial.

You are absolutely right that it is better to have him than not, but what exactly are we missing by not bringing him here? Sure he is one of the best basketball minds ever and it would be great to have his input, but is this really a franchise altering move? I think we will be just fine without him.

No we won't, we are one of the worst franchises in the league, we are not fine. We suck too much to be turning down proven help.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

I don't even care about the Clippers. I don't even know why this is in the Lakers Lounge.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Chase.button is trolling all of you and you keep falling for it.

You are a mod, tell me how it is trolling, if I don't think signing J west is a big thing?

I have to much respect for DB,GT, 24 to troll this forum

You are presenting things as fact without supporting evidence as other have provided. The evidence points to they wanted him back. You said lip service and deflected. Lol. Trolling

And many here are witch hunting opinions that they don't agree with...just sayin.

According to Tim Kwaikami...JW got paid a (bleep) ton more with the Clippers than he did with the Dubs. But that can't be a factor in all of this right?

JW said there was nothing left to do in GS. Ok...who's going to challenge that narrative? Bob Myers so he can look like the Dray Green of the FO world?

Chase ain't trolling...he's giving a different opinion. Many here are overreacting and speculating about what might happen. Any anti-Jeannie bias? Because I've read quite a bit in this thread and on this site.

We all love JW...I wish him well with the Clippers and hope we kick his ass as they go into full rebuild mode and Doc gets (bleep) canned.

Does anyone really, really think JW is ever going to try and stick it to the Lakers? Come on y'all...remember Pau?

Pau? Maybe delve into NBA facts?
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:

2013-14 27-55
2014-15 21-61
2015-16 17-65
2016-17 26-56

Yeah, what were they thinking.

CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

You are a mod, tell me how it is trolling, if I don't think signing J west is a big thing?

You are presenting things as fact without supporting evidence as other have provided. The evidence points to they wanted him back. You said lip service and deflected. Lol. Trolling

And many here are witch hunting opinions that they don't agree with...just sayin.

According to Tim Kwaikami...JW got paid a (bleep) ton more with the Clippers than he did with the Dubs. But that can't be a factor in all of this right?

JW said there was nothing left to do in GS. Ok...who's going to challenge that narrative? Bob Myers so he can look like the Dray Green of the FO world?

Chase ain't trolling...he's giving a different opinion. Many here are overreacting and speculating about what might happen. Any anti-Jeannie bias? Because I've read quite a bit in this thread and on this site.

We all love JW...I wish him well with the Clippers and hope we kick his ass as they go into full rebuild mode and Doc gets (bleep) canned.

Does anyone really, really think JW is ever going to try and stick it to the Lakers? Come on y'all...remember Pau?

VLFing (bleep) up again...you are one of the most bi-polar posters on this board.

#BannersOverBillboards
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Wow... very disappointing news. Turning down Jerry West and then having him go to the freaking Clippers. Unbelievable
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I am very upset that first the FO did not aggressively purse West and second when he practically fell in their laps and they turned up their noses at him.

As I said before: hubris.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:

If Mitch were so great, why hasn't any other team swooped him up? Even in a "consulting" capacity?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:

If Mitch were so great, why hasn't any other team swooped him up? Even in a "consulting" capacity?

I really doubt that Mitch would accept any work proposal for the near future.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Russell1 wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

VLFing (bleep) up again...you are one of the most bi-polar posters on this board.

West had nothing to do with us trading for Pau.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:

1 - We have no way of knowing what teams are calling who or why. We don't know that other teams have not contacted Mitch.

2 - Mitch had been in the league forever and was apparently mentoring Ryan West to succeed him. I don't think he would have been around as a GM much longer anyway (which is part of my annoyance with his dismissal).
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
composite wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:

1 - We have no way of knowing what teams are calling who or why. We don't know that other teams have not contacted Mitch.

2 - Mitch had been in the league forever and was apparently mentoring Ryan West to succeed him. I don't think he would have been around as a GM much longer anyway (which is part of my annoyance with his dismissal).

Me too!!!!! If nothing else Mitch's last act showed his loyalty to the Lakers. He refused to give up our young talent for Boogie Cousins

Coach Wooden
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
composite wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Plus he is still collecting that Buss money
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

If West turns around the Clippers, we know who to blame in the Lakers front office....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I listened to his press conference today, he is still sharp as a tack. He said Ballmer is the best owner in town.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Any vision that doesn't align with Logo's is the wrong one.

Exactly. The new bread of human beings vastly undervalue experience. They are so quick to give the "new" the keys. This is in contrast to all of history where leaders were selected based on experience. It's almost like there is a built in bias.

Jeannie Buss, regardless of how this turns out, is an idiot. Everything West has touched has turned into gold. You turn that down? What possible reason? No room? Find room woman. I would fire myself before turning West down.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Any vision that doesn't align with Logo's is the wrong one.
Exactly. The new bread of human beings vastly undervalue experience. They are so quick to give the "new" the keys. This is in contrast to all of history where leaders were selected based on experience. It's almost like there is a built in bias.

Jeannie Buss, regardless of how this turns out, is an idiot. Everything West has touched has turned into gold. You turn that down? What possible reason? No room? Find room woman. I would fire myself before turning West down.
The reputation of The Logo is impeccable but not perfect.

Revisiting the Magic Johnson/Sydney Moncrief and the Grizzs situations might be helpful. It appears that Jeanie/Magic/Rob/Ryan like Ball, where The Logo doesn't

Maybe Ballmer thinks that West can help Doc the GM complete this S&T trade - Blake for three first round draft picks and maybe a player to match salaries. This would give the Celtics the low post superstar threat while the Clips would have salary relief plus rookies on a cap space friendly salaries. Of course, this means that the Clips would be a second tier playoff team that might prompt CP3 to go to the Spurs and leaving DJ with nobody to toss him lobs. With CP3 and Blake gone, Clips will be a low-seed playoff team

If Balmer keeps Blake and CP3, what use would The Logo be since they have very few options and Doc is the President of Basketball Operations/GM who has hamstrung the franchise. Maybe The Logo (like Magic is with Jeanie) will provide the justification to fire Doc as either the GM or Head Coach (aka The Hatchet Man)

Rather be a Laker Fanatic!
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I listened to his press conference today, he is still sharp as a tack. He said Ballmer is the best owner in town.

That was unnecessary.

I feel sorry if Logo is bitter, but there is no need to throw Jeanie under the bus because she trusted Magic not him.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately he kinda has a leg to stand on when he said that. I didn't watch and hear that conference just because the whole idea of West being a Clipper disgusts me.

But it was a jab at Jeannie and the rest.

Bye.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That was unnecessary.

I feel sorry if Logo is bitter, but there is no need to throw Jeanie under the bus because she trusted Magic not him.

Ran him out of town, fired and dragged his protege through the mud, and rebuffed his return, but yeah, he's the ahole.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That was unnecessary.

Ran him out of town, fired and dragged his protege through the mud, and rebuffed his return, but yeah, he's the ahole.

I dont think nash used the term ahole.
Anyway, I dont think Jerry did anything wrong.
And I may not like some of what Jeannie has done in the past, but for people to not understand why Magic and company didn't bring back Jerry is beyond me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 33 of 35
Jump to: