Steve Kerr is resting Curry, Green, and Iguodala against the Spurs tomorrow night
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Seeding isn't as important as health. It might not be as important as the matchups in your bracket, either. 7th game, of course you'd rather have it in your own building.

Here are links to one of the precedent-setting fines:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/25/sports/sports-people-pro-basketball-resting-two-players-brings-lakers-a-fine.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/99210/RILEY-RILED-OVER-FINE-FOR-RESTING-MAGIC-WORTHY.html

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-25/sports/sp-115_1_final-regular-season-game
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Big difference is those were done after they had already clinched a playoff spot and were secure in their seeding...I remember that Pat Riley resting his Lakers players back then, it was a big deal back then, now it isn't even news. I think the big difference is that the fans are paying good money with the expectation to see the superstars play in the middle of March.....now if this was around the end of the season most fans would use common sense in that the games they go to will probably not have superstars playing if they are secure in clinching their playoff spot.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Is there even a viable solution to stopping this? I was thinking that a one-game suspension should be issued for every game sat out for rest, but then players would just get two games of rest instead of one...

Or you could require teams to offer ticket refunds if the star player doesn't play, but owners would never agree to that...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Is there even a viable solution to stopping this? I was thinking that a one-game suspension should be issued for every game sat out for rest, but then players would just get two games of rest instead of one...

Or you could require teams to offer ticket refunds if the star player doesn't play, but owners would never agree to that...

There's no real solution. What's to stop the team from playing the stars only a couple minutes, then sitting them for the remainder of the game? The nature of the game makes it tough. Only thing they can do is to spread out the schedule. The league and corporations can put less focus marketing individuals, but they make so much money from it.

In hockey, goalies have backups. Stars play most games, but are on the ice about 1/3 of the time. In baseball, pitchers aren't on the mound every game. Everyday players stand around most of the time. In NFL, players get a week to recover, mostly. Barring maybe one short week?

NBA players can be a bunch of crybabies. We can look into why. I'll stay away from that. I have opinions that I'll keep to myself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: