DLO and JC - Do they have the "Championship Accountability" on D
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: DLO and JC - Do they have the "Championship Accountability" on D

Can DLO and JC be the starting guards for a legitimate title-contending team in LaLa Land?
Will/Can they produce Harden-like numbers (even LouWill's numbers) on offense (together) to compensate their inability to defend?
With TBlack's lack of size at the 5, his inconsistency as a starter in making an impact on games and not being a legitimate offensive threat a good match for a DLO/JC backcourt?

=====

Zack Lowe's Views
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18856846/zach-lowe-10-things-like-featuring-thunder-russell-westbrook-nba

Clarkson is an interesting talent, but to really help the Lakers win -- to be something other than an empty calories pull-up shooter who bleeds points on the other end -- he has to clean up his defense. At just 6-foot-5, he's always going to be undersized against wings. He should be able to hang against point guards, but his technique is a mess.

The best defenders move on their toes, with a coiled control -- constantly in motion, but rarely overextended in any direction. Clarkson just kind of jumps around. He reaches for steals, lunges too late into passing lanes, and slams headlong into flare screens he never sees coming.

He overcommits so badly in falling behind a play that he needs a half-second to shift his momentum and trudge back toward the action. You don't get the luxury of that half-second in the NBA.

D'Angelo Russell hasn't been much better, and the Lakers have to conclude that the Russell-Clarkson duo is unplayable in real games. The Lakers have allowed an unthinkable, flammable, unholy 118.1 points per 100 possessions in the 369 minutes those two have shared the floor -- the eighth-worst mark among 1,200-plus duos that have logged at least 250 minutes together, per NBA.com. (Four of the seven pairings below them also come from the Lakers. Drive that tank, baby!)

Clarkson is almost 25. The Lakers need another two-way wing.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

No
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

Does anyone have championship accountability on this squad? Not. Not this year, not last year either.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

I doubt they even run defensive skills.

With b Shaw and his outdated scheme there is only so much you can expect

Hope the new FO sits with luke and asks him to hire a new age defensive guru
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

There's this guy named Lonzo...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

yeah, he sure has locked down Allonzo Trier...averaging 20 PPG against Lonzo in 3 games.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

I blame Kobe's last two years on Clarkson's bad influence. Overshooting and gambling on D. Should've looked at tape from pre-2011 mamba.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
I blame Kobe's last two years on Clarkson's bad influence. Overshooting and gambling on D. Should've looked at tape from pre-2011 mamba.

his critique is accurate....I have even noticed several of the items mentioned, but usually do not mention because JC gets enough criticism. The thing I do not understand is technique can be corrected....and is this not getting "coached". How many times, even in college, did a coach talk to me about technique and or reading the offense....and I would try to initiate corrections immediately in the 2nd half. Alot of this stuff just seems to not get attention from the coaching staff.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

Lakers seem to have already say no to JC as a long term starter. I think Dlo is already close to an average level NBA defender and will be that at least as he ages.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers seem to have already say no to JC as a long term starter. I think Dlo is already close to an average level NBA defender and will be that at least as he ages.

I do not think he is a decent defender. I think Clarkson is a superior defender to DLo.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I do not think he is a decent defender. I think Clarkson is a superior defender to DLo.

I think JC is the better athlete, not sure about better defender(i think both are below avg defenders)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think JC is the better athlete, not sure about better defender(i think both are below avg defenders)

definitely the skinniest kid at fat camp type of thing
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

GT posted a Synergy chart that had him surprisingly in the 56th percentile. While Jc looks like he puts more effort the stats seem to show otherwise.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

yeah, he sure has locked down Allonzo Trier...averaging 20 PPG against Lonzo in 3 games.

And he was matched up against him those 3 games or were they playing a zone?

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

GT posted a Synergy chart that had him surprisingly in the 56th percentile. While Jc looks like he puts more effort the stats seem to show otherwise.

JC is the classic example of player that mistakes activity for achievement; effort for efficacy. Hence the spastic, bounding around that he calls "defense." The 20-second dribble-fests he calls "playmaking" and "shot creation."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

JC is the classic example of player that mistakes activity for achievement; effort for efficacy. Hence the spastic, bounding around that he calls "defense." The 20-second dribble-fests he calls "playmaking" and "shot creation."

Exactly.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am simply basing it on how many times DLo gets beat on the ball....with ease. Luke does not do it as much recently, but he often cross matched DLo onto the lesser perimeter player earlier in season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am simply basing it on how many times DLo gets beat on the ball....with ease. Luke does not do it as much recently, but he often cross matched DLo onto the lesser perimeter player earlier in season.

I get it. The eye test. I'm just saying the numbers say otherwise.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

Jc is a career 7th man spark plug with bad vision and decision making. No
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am guessing the "numbers" do not account for who the player is defending, or how often he calls for switches instead of fighting through a screen creating mismatches across the court.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am guess the "numbers" do not account for who the player is defending, or how often he calls for switches instead of fighting through a screen creating mismatches across the court.

Again. Both are not elite defenders by any means. Jc's defense, especially for a soon to be 25 year old has been regressing. I think the fact a just turned 21 year old is struggling a bit on defense isn't that troubling to me.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am guess the "numbers" do not account for who the player is defending, or how often he calls for switches instead of fighting through a screen creating mismatches across the court.

Again. Both are not elite defenders by any means. Jc's defense, especially for a soon to be 25 year old has been regressing. I think the fact a just turned 21 year old is struggling a bit on defense isn't that troubling to me.

I am not troubled by it, but I would be less troubled if we could put two above average defenders on the court with him....maybe a rim protecting #5 and a really good defender on the perimeter at the #2 or #3.....or at least a great rim protector and a lock down perimeter defender off the bench.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

At what point did Dirk, LBJ, Curry, and Harden reach "Championship Accountability" on D? For some guys it's a process.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am not troubled by it, but I would be less troubled if we could put two above average defenders on the court with him....maybe a rim protecting #5 and a really good defender on the perimeter at the #2 or #3.....or at least a great rim protector and a lock down perimeter defender off the bench.

Or maybe Josh Jackson
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

Clarkson is more of a reliable role player rather then a starter on a winning team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: