Most Obvious Tank Job Ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Looks at standings.....
Realizes they only have 16 games until vacation.
Obviously they aren't going to injure themselves putting 100% effort into winning when theres nothing at stake anymore.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

the tank move was trading Lou, bench Moz and Deng (though that didn't really help win games), and now benching Nick.

What happened tonight was just lazy play all around and I suspect coaching was a little off too.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

The decision to bench Nick Young undoubtedly came from on high. If Luke was tanking, he would've benched Clarkson when he was on his hot streak.

No possible way a franchise would risk telling players to miss shots or turn the ball over on purpose. If word leaked, it would be the biggest scandal in pro sports short of point shaving for a mob boss. Any team who did that would get stripped of not only this draft pick but future ones as well.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Das wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Not knowing the shot-clock out of a timeout, come on now.

There were so many factors in that game even beyond that play that I'm now more feared of a potential investigation of potentially losing the pick for intentional tanking than of the lottery balls.

Absurd.

Players don't tank, they just stunk.

I agree. I think it is absurd to suggest otherwise.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Not complaining at all. This is exactly what I wanted.
Win or lose, play the young guys a ton. That way, even if we lose the pick, we win! At this point in the season, we want the players with the most potential getting the majority of the minutes.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

We are evaluating young players at the expense of short term success, a nice way to say we're all-out tanking. Nick Young, Mozgov, and Deng could help the rotations if used sparingly. No other team is holding out multiple veterans other than Phoenix, and Ingram isn't ready to steal all of Deng's minutes the way Booker has taken Knight's spot. Although the Suns are holding out the very effective Tyson Chandler, it doesn't match the loss of three experienced starters from our rotation.

Philadelphia held out Covington, but that's still only one player(besides the guys who are legitimately hurt).
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

It definitely wasn't a tank job. The free throw miss will happen in crunch time from time to time. He made 1/2. Russell's three point heave was a bad mistake but it was an honest one. And on the Randle three point heave at the buzzer he didn't have a passing lane to Russell, the defense would have intercepted.

It's a young team making the mistakes that young players make. They refs may have also missed a foul or two down the stretch. This is the type of outcome I don't mind though. Helps them to keep their pick while remaining competitive and getting crunch time experience for the young guys. That's ideal.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
the tank move was trading Lou, bench Moz and Deng (though that didn't really help win games), and now benching Nick.

What happened tonight was just lazy play all around

Exactly. Lakers management is all-in on tanking (thankfully).

The players are not. They were just cocky after beating PHX and didn't take Philly seriously with no Embiid after beating them pretty easily in Philly. Just like PHX didn't take the Lakers seriously on Thursday after blowing the Lakers out before AS break.

Happens all the time in the NBA. Look at the Lakers' wins vs Bucks and Indy for example.

The other factor was DLo having his usual Sunday hangover game. He was a huge key tonight, but that also has nothing to do with tanking.

Time for a 16 game losing streak, or however many it takes to lock up the 2nd worst record.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
2019 wrote:

The players are not. They were just cocky after beating PHX and didn't take Philly seriously with no Embiid after beating them pretty easily in Philly. Just like PHX didn't take the Lakers seriously on Thursday after blowing the Lakers out before AS break.

Happens all the time in the NBA. Look at the Lakers' wins vs Bucks and Indy for example.

The other factor was DLo having his usual Sunday hangover game. He was a huge key tonight, but that also has nothing to do with tanking.

Time for a 16 game losing streak, or however many it takes to lock up the 2nd worst record.

This covers it pretty well.

Lineups: THAT's where the tanking took place. I'm guessing Luke's getting orders on who to sit and who to "develop."

DLO - Hangover game. Exactly the thought that rolled through my head as I was watching the first half - BEFORE the Shaqtin Fool moment. Russell was foggy af for this game.

Although I will say this - players can certainly sense what's going on when vets all get parked on the bench while teenagers and D-League call-ups get starting spots. It's easy to see why they might not take the game as seriously as they would if a playoff spot was on the line.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
It definitely wasn't a tank job. The free throw miss will happen in crunch time from time to time. He made 1/2. Russell's three point heave was a bad mistake but it was an honest one. And on the Randle three point heave at the buzzer he didn't have a passing lane to Russell, the defense would have intercepted.

It's a young team making the mistakes that young players make. They refs may have also missed a foul or two down the stretch. This is the type of outcome I don't mind though. Helps them to keep their pick while remaining competitive and getting crunch time experience for the young guys. That's ideal.

Agreed.

This is no tanking.

We are really not that good.

We need to find out how bad we are.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

Is it not possible that we both suck and are tanking?
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

Deep down I want the Lakers to get that Lottery pick. But what the heck happened in that Phoenix game? Did the Lakers get duped by the Suns? The Suns didn't look like they were trying to win. But then, what's with the Suns recent successes leading up to the Lakers game and then the Suns go right back and win against the Mavericks the next game? What are the Suns up to?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Well, the Lakers have got a long way to go to rival some other tank jobs. The Sixers last year ? Ten wins ?

Their 71 wins in four seasons, as of right now ?

Wheeee, the Lakers are pikers by comparison. That five season-plus tank job that Philly's been pulling off takes some effort. Hell, Philly hasn't pulled off a .500 season in a dozen straight seasons; the Lakers have made just four straight to their credit today. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

So.. is this excuse to be spread among all Lakers? If they have a bad game we just chalk it up to "following orders" OR is it specific to a few players only?

Just need to get on the same page as yall
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Is it not possible that we both suck and are tanking?

We suck no doubt, but it's a tank job now. The clincher for me ? Starting a guy like Nwaba eliminated most of the doubt surrounding the remaining in-season goals. If there's no priority being placed these days on competing this season at all, to me it's tanking. There are several alternative, better, healthy players available on our own roster.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Das wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Not knowing the shot-clock out of a timeout, come on now.

There were so many factors in that game even beyond that play that I'm now more feared of a potential investigation of potentially losing the pick for intentional tanking than of the lottery balls.

Absurd.

Players don't tank, they just stunk.

I agree. I think it is absurd to suggest otherwise.

yup agree yinoma. like you say young people are inconsistent, same with their decision making. its inconsistent.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
2019 wrote:

Yeah, a lot of this is switching lineups. Note after the win, Walton promptly switched two guys out of the starting lineup.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Nba should demote both teams to the d league

for real tho this is how the league should work. only way to give credibility to the d-league and it will put a stop to tanking

worst team in nba goes to dleague, best team from dleague goes to nba. it's how most sports work worldwide, except for the usa
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
defense wrote:
Nba should demote both teams to the d league

for real tho this is how the league should work. only way to give credibility to the d-league and it will put a stop to tanking

worst team in nba goes to dleague, best team from dleague goes to nba. it's how most sports work worldwide, except for the usa

You'd just be switching back and forth each year, as the D league team would promptly be the worst team in the NBA the following year, not to mention how do you do that when teams own the other teams?
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

I don't buy into the tank theory. These guys are on display. Trade bait, imo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:

By putting them in a position to look bad? If you're putting them on display, wouldn't you want to put them in an ideal situation to show that they can contribute and win?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

There was a lineup out there at one point of Clarkson/DLo/Nwaba/Brewer/Nance and Nwaba was covering Saric at that point in my head I was thinking yes he maybe our best defender but he is giving up a good 6 inches
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
easybreeze wrote:

By putting them in a position to look bad? If you're putting them on display, wouldn't you want to put them in an ideal situation to show that they can contribute and win?

They have no other alternative, to make them look better, then to play them. Teams trade players on stats. They sit, ball, chucker Nick, and trade Lou. DLo stats is up and so is JC.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
easybreeze wrote:

They have no other alternative, to make them look better, then to play them. Teams trade players on stats. They sit, ball, chucker Nick, and trade Lou. DLo stats is up and so is JC.

If you're "showcasing" our young talent, we wouldn't put DLO out there with basically 0 shooters to pass to. Nwaba for Swaggy?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

lol so yall really think Luke got the team together and told them to start intentionally throwing games?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: