How pathetic.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: How pathetic.

You would think that even if we're tanking we'd put up some sort of a fight and not get embarrassed every night. The effort in all of our players is horrendous and the body language shows that.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Starts at the top my man.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Tanking has its price. Makes our players complacent and lose their competitive edge. I hope there's no long term ill effect. Gotta cross our fingers for that NBA lottery. Short term sacrifice for potential long term gain.

If we retained the pick this year, then there'd be no more reason to tank next year so we wouldn't be able to blame it on the tank every time we played bad.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

tony wrote:
You would think that even if we're tanking we'd put up some sort of a fight and not get embarrassed every night. The effort in all of our players is horrendous and the body language shows that.

Uh, isn't the whole point of tanking is to not to put out optimal lineups? What happens to crappy lineups? They get blown off the floor. This idea of "Lose on purpose but not in a way that is embarrassing" is dumb and selfish. You can't have it both ways. You want that pick? The team has to be bad. Very, very, very bad.

!...
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't think these guys are trying to lose. They're just not very good at basketball.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

Uh, isn't the whole point of tanking is to not to put out optimal lineups? What happens to crappy lineups? They get blown off the floor. This idea of "Lose on purpose but not in a way that is embarrassing" is dumb and selfish. You can't have it both ways. You want that pick? The team has to be bad. Very, very, very bad.

Actuallly you can have it both ways. Develop your young players while tanking. That's what we should be doing.

Remember, our "optimal lineup" couldn't beat the injured 76ers at Staples and we've won like 1 game in our last 10-11 games so not sure where the fear of suddenly winning is coming from.

Play young guys extended mins, develop them, and live with the results. Thats how we should tank.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

ringfinger wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

Actuallly you can have it both ways. Develop your young players while tanking. That's what we should be doing.

Remember, our "optimal lineup" couldn't beat the injured 76ers at Staples and we've won like 1 game in our last 10-11 games so not sure where the fear of suddenly winning is coming from.

Play young guys extended mins, develop them, and live with the results. Thats how we should tank.

Exactly this. If I had my way, every game would be a one point loss. Keep it competitive and throw it in the 4th quarter. Not throwing in the towel after the first quarter.

The thing is I don't know the players' mentality going into a tanking game. I don't know how the players feel like going into a game knowing they have to lose in the end. It's hard to play at a high level when you already know the outcome of the game has already been determined.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

I think it's more so that they show no effort at all and as a fan its just very hard to watch it
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Every time someone points out that tanking breeds a losing mentality someone pro-Tank starts busting out the rationalizations. So yeah...
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
I don't think these guys are trying to lose. They're just not very good at basketball.
that Corey brewer behind the back pass made me want to shoot myself
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

lakersfever714 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

Exactly this. If I had my way, every game would be a one point loss. Keep it competitive and throw it in the 4th quarter. Not throwing in the towel after the first quarter.

The thing is I don't know the players' mentality going into a tanking game. I don't know how the players feel like going into a game knowing they have to lose in the end. It's hard to play at a high level when you already know the outcome of the game has already been determined.

We've won 10 percent of our games since the All Star Break. We don't need to worry about throwing in the towel on purpose. We can do that trying to win.

Developing the young guys should be the #1 priority. And you don't worry about results.

What we did tonight was basically just forfeiting the game.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

ringfinger wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

We've won 10 percent of our games since the All Star Break. We don't need to worry about throwing in the towel on purpose. We can do that trying to win.

Developing the young guys should be the #1 priority. And you don't worry about results.

What we did tonight was basically just forfeiting the game.

Well, our future allstars Zubac and Ingram got a nice game with decent minutes tonight. That's some positives. I'd like to see effort on the defensive end though. Allowing this many points scored meant the team wasn't trying because defense is all about effort.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

tony wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

I think it's more so that they show no effort at all and as a fan its just very hard to watch it

If you came to work and your boss made sure you knew he was going to ensure that everything you did would fail, how long before you ease up on the throttle?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Next season

"we need to tank for one more pick"
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

Omar Little wrote:
tony wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

If you came to work and your boss made sure you knew he was going to ensure that everything you did would fail, how long before you ease up on the throttle?

This, and singling you out in front of your coworkers, treating you differently and forcing unrealistic expectations on you and you only.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm honestly at the point where I just want to skip to the offseason
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Next season

There's no more tanking next season. We will either have a pick or we don't. There's no such thing as "losing more games will lead to a higher chance of keeping the pick."
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

Omar Little wrote:
tony wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

as an athlete and competitor (especially ones getting paid millions) there's no excuse for not showing up and giving some type of effort. the only person that gives any type of effort is MWP and he sucks ass
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tony wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

This, and singling you out in front of your coworkers, treating you differently and forcing unrealistic expectations on you and you only.
who are you talking about...?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Luke could start MWP, Ennis, Brewer, Nwaba, and T Rob next game and fans / media would take the result as an indictment on our core.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Rebuild the rebuilding. Trade anyone over 19 bringing some real talent, draft Fultz alongside Houston pick and move forward.

Last edited by nash on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

tony wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tony wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

as an athlete and competitor (especially ones getting paid millions) there's no excuse for not showing up and giving some type of effort. the only person that gives any type of effort is MWP and he sucks ass

Athletes are humans too

Athletes aren't just mindless drones who run around the court and toss a ball through the hoop
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Next season

the problem with so many draft picks is who the heck are you gonna try and develop? doesn't seem like we're good at developing players..so what's the point of having another draft pick? won't have enough shots to spread around. Lakers FO will sign another Lou to fuq up their mins and touches. and a never ending cycle. we need proven stars and established role players..that's what we need.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

ringfinger wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

Which is going to be lots and lots of losing.

!...
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How pathetic.

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
tony wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tony wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
tony wrote:

Athletes are humans too

Athletes aren't just mindless drones who run around the court and toss a ball through the hoop
and which humans like to be embarrassed in front of a national audience every night?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: