About Envy

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: About Envy

Well, that's something I have to share here...

I grew up as a big sports fan. As any Brazilian kid, football (I mean Real Football, the one played with feet and ball, not with hands and an egg ) is my number 1 sport, but basketball was always a close 2nd to me.

In the 80's Brazil had a very good team, including Oscar Schmidt - one of Kobe's childhood heroes and the guy beside Magic in my avatar. In 1987, they started broadcasting the NBA in Brazil and I became a fan, immediately. Though it was 1987, they didn't start broadcasting live games, but 1986 Finals. Months later the were showing, now live, the 1987 Finals.

It was the peak of Lakers-Celtics rivalry and you imagine every sports fan was overwhelmed. Magic, Larry and their fellows took us by storm. I'd risk saying that no NBA fan in Brazil aging 40+ roots for another team, but these two. As for me, you know, I soon became a fan of that tall guard wearing a golden jersey and making magic tricks in the court.

And so my Laker fan life started. I was devastated with Magic's retirement, happy when we signed the big guy, curious to see that kid from High School who everyone talked about and ecstatic when we traded for the Spaniard.

But for whatever reason, I've never been in the USA during NBA season, so I never watched a live NBA game, let alone a Laker's one.

FAST FORWARD TO PRESENT DAYS...

We moved to Europe 6 years ago and my life as NBA fan being 9 hours ahead of LA is difficult, but I do what I can.

My wife works for an American company and her area holds an annual event gathering people from all over the world for a week, when they have some special event to attend to. Last year, the meeting was in Northern England and they all went to see a (real) football match between Liverpool and Chelsea - two of the Top-5 English teams for those who don't know.

She is the complete opposite of me as sport fan. I mean, she would have no idea there's a guy named Kobe Bryant wasn't it for me.

This year, they scheduled the event to happen in Houston. Two weeks ago, we were talking...

Her: You know, they scheduled that special event in Houston. But it's a surprise.
Me: I bet it's an NBA game.
Her: Nah... they said March is good, because it's Rodeo season in Texas.
Me: When is the event?
Her: March 15th.
Me: I bet, if the Rockets are playing home, it's gonna be NBA

*grabs smartphone*
*NBA app*
*schedule*

Me: Phuck!
Her: What?
Me: They are not only playing home, but it will be the Lakers!
Her: I'm sure it's going to be a Rodeo or something like this...

About one hour ago, she texted me...

"You were right... it's gonna be NBA".

Have you guys ever felt ENVY in your life?
No, you haven't!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Good story.

I take it only your wife gets to attend these events and you don't?

If so, take some solace that it probably won't be a very good game for a Laker fan.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Good story.

I take it only your wife gets to attend these events and you don't?

If so, take some solace that it probably won't be a very good game for a Laker fan.

I told her it will be a blowout!

I can't take one week off here to follow her. Wish I could...
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Maybe when the Lakers are competitive again you can surprise your wife with trip to Disneyland in the Spring and then conveniently suggest as long you're in LA why don't we go see a Laker game?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

seriously don't worry, it's gonna be a 20+ point loss and your wife will come home wondering why you're a fan of the lakers
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
seriously don't worry, it's gonna be a 20+ point loss and your wife will come home wondering why you're a fan of the lakers

Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

I'll have to play some old videos here...

You don't know the worst part, they gave her a Rockets jersey with her name on it!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Maybe when the Lakers are competitive again you can surprise your wife with trip to Disneyland in the Spring and then conveniently suggest as long you're in LA why don't we go see a Laker game?

We're likely going to Miami, March next year, as my sister is living over there. I'm already praying to the Old Gods, and the New, to be a Laker's game over there. I will take Orlando, as well...
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure she will be texting with you the entire time, too .

Ask her to take photos .
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
I'm sure she will be texting with you the entire time, too .

Ask her to take photos .

I've already told her I'll watch this freaking game today, even if I have to go to bed at 4am.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Great story!

But when you mentioned "real football" my mind went immediately to the NFL and not soccer. Because nothing beats the Superbowl.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Great story!

But when you mentioned "real football" my mind went immediately to the NFL and not soccer. Because nothing beats the Superbowl.

Haha... I like NFL. I'm a 49ers fan for the same reason I'm Lakers. They started broadcasting NFL in Brazil about the same time and there was that Joe Montana guy back then...

But, c'mon...Foot+Ball...
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
Great story!

Haha... I like NFL. I'm a 49ers fan for the same reason I'm Lakers. They started broadcasting NFL in Brazil about the same time and there was that Joe Montana guy back then...

But, c'mon...Foot+Ball...

I do agree! I've always wondered why it is called football, when soccer has the name and it is far more fitting for soccer to be called football!

On the other hand, renaming it "concussion" would not be a good idea either!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: About Envy

Eindhoven wrote:

I grew up as a big sports fan. As any Brazilian kid, football (I mean Real Football, the one played with feet and ball, not with hands and an egg ) is my number 1 sport, but basketball was always a close 2nd to me.

In the 80's Brazil had a very good team, including Oscar Schmidt - one of Kobe's childhood heroes and the guy beside Magic in my avatar. In 1987, they started broadcasting the NBA in Brazil and I became a fan, immediately. Though it was 1987, they didn't start broadcasting live games, but 1986 Finals. Months later the were showing, now live, the 1987 Finals.

It was the peak of Lakers-Celtics rivalry and you imagine every sports fan was overwhelmed. Magic, Larry and their fellows took us by storm. I'd risk saying that no NBA fan in Brazil aging 40+ roots for another team, but these two. As for me, you know, I soon became a fan of that tall guard wearing a golden jersey and making magic tricks in the court.

And so my Laker fan life started. I was devastated with Magic's retirement, happy when we signed the big guy, curious to see that kid from High School who everyone talked about and ecstatic when we traded for the Spaniard.

But for whatever reason, I've never been in the USA during NBA season, so I never watched a live NBA game, let alone a Laker's one.

We moved to Europe 6 years ago and my life as NBA fan being 9 hours ahead of LA is difficult, but I do what I can.

My wife works for an American company and her area holds an annual event gathering people from all over the world for a week, when they have some special event to attend to. Last year, the meeting was in Northern England and they all went to see a (real) football match between Liverpool and Chelsea - two of the Top-5 English teams for those who don't know.

She is the complete opposite of me as sport fan. I mean, she would have no idea there's a guy named Kobe Bryant wasn't it for me.

This year, they scheduled the event to happen in Houston. Two weeks ago, we were talking...

Her: You know, they scheduled that special event in Houston. But it's a surprise.

*grabs smartphone*
*NBA app*
*schedule*

No, you haven't!

Pelo menos é provável que o Lakers perca o jogo (e bem feio) hahahah
Já dá pra diminuir um pouco da inveja!

EDIT: e é claro que o único futebol possível é o jogado com os pés
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

*grabs smartphone*
*NBA app*
*schedule*

No, you haven't!

Eu falei pra ela pra não ligar, porque vamos levar uma piaba!
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: About Envy

Eindhoven wrote:

*grabs smartphone*
*NBA app*
*schedule*

No, you haven't!

My condolences.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
danzag wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

*grabs smartphone*
*NBA app*
*schedule*

No, you haven't!

Eu falei pra ela pra não ligar, porque vamos levar uma piaba!

Pois é, fala pra ela aproveitar o espetáculo, a cidade... Porque o Lakers mesmo vai ser osso!

Sou um pouco mais novo que você (faço 27 esse ano) e nunca tive a oportunidade de ir a um jogo do Lakers também. Uma das minhas principais metas pro futuro
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Enjoy the swamp weather.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: About Envy

Gatekeeper wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

*grabs smartphone*
*NBA app*
*schedule*

No, you haven't!

My condolences.

Big up for Chelsea!!!

Zlatan is an all time great 👊🏽
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

That sounds awesome. Sad the Lakers suck right now, but that is a great deal for you!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: