Too many 3 point attempts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Too many 3 point attempts

Kobe - 1 / 8 (awful)
Devin - 2 / 6 (bad)
Vujacic - 1 / 4 (ouch)

Will they ever learn? Kobe shouldn't take many 3's when he knows he's doesn't have the hot hand.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:

Story of the last 5-6 games at this point, at least in broad strokes.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject:

I can't believe Kobe doesn't see that he is shooting too many 3's. It is ridiculous. This also goes for the rest of the team.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:

With Sasha I don't blame him. That's the only thing he can ATTEMPT do out there on offense.

Kobe should be taking no more then 3-4 a game. George the same. I want to see George attack and dive to the basket more. The guy settles for the 3 waaay too much. He's not a great 3pt shooter, there's no reason for him to be launching those 3's at his rate. Tonight's game, after Kobe's 'goaltend' on Bobby Jackson, they broke the other way with numbers, and George settles for the 3 on the baseline... sigh.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject:

Too many missed three point attempts.
dag32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject:

To me it's Phil's responsibility to put a stop to it. The fact that he sees it as a problem makes me concerned that he hasn't stopped it.

I don't know if the players are just not responding to him. I'm not saying get rid of Phil but imho he should be more proactive in putting a stop to it.

Immediately sitting down any player who puts up an ill-advised 3 should put an end to it.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject:

The only two guys I don't mind taking threes are those hitting at least 40%, which equates to 1.2 points per fga. Cook is hitting 50%, which is 1.5 points per fga. That is highly efficient.
KB8@LG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject:

right now we play like we did with Rudy 3. All 3 pointers and no defense...
Mr. Mojo Risin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject:

eh.. maybe.. but eventually if you get Kobe the ball everytime, he'll hit his rhythmn and then it's virtually a guaranteed win. It might take awhile for him to get in rhythmn, but he usually does eventually when he gets the ball a lot. He's not getting enough touches to get in a rhythmn lately IMO. This goes for 2 or 3 point shots. He can hit both in his rhythmn. I know basketball is all about the team, but hell the rest of the team isn't good enough to play team basketball and get wins.
LakeLakeLake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject:

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
eh.. maybe.. but eventually if you get Kobe the ball everytime, he'll hit his rhythmn and then it's virtually a guaranteed win. It might take awhile for him to get in rhythmn, but he usually does eventually when he gets the ball a lot. He's not getting enough touches to get in a rhythmn lately IMO. This goes for 2 or 3 point shots. He can hit both in his rhythmn. I know basketball is all about the team, but hell the rest of the team isn't good enough to play team basketball and get wins.

So you are saying that 28 fg-attempts are not enough for Kobe to get "in a rhythm"?
Mr. Mojo Risin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject:

LakeLakeLake wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:

So you are saying that 28 fg-attempts are not enough for Kobe to get "in a rhythm"?

If you give him 10 shots in a row, without passing it around, I bet he nails one and then nails another and then hits his rhythmn. All I know is not too long ago when Kobe got the ball most of the time, he was scoring a ton (even when he wasn't in rhythmn) and they were winning. Lately, Kobe will be open and a lot of time will go by before Kobe even gets the ball. The offense has become more team oriented vs Kobe oriented and the results have been bad. With the ball he gets fouled more and gets more shots at the line too. I don't know why the hell they changed things. The results speak for themself, Kobe is a better score than a facilitator. Stop trying to make him something he's not. Especially when he doesn't have much of a team to facilitate. Only guy that is worthy of getting the ball passed to him right now is Cook IMO, unless Lamar is by the basket. I wouldn't trust Kwame even by the basket.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

I definetly had the feeling that our team had decided to "live, or die", by the three pointer... In one instance, Kobe passed up a nice opportunity to dish it off to Kwame, going to the hole... Instead, Kobe swung it out to Smush, for another brick, from 3 point land. This seems to characterize our new mindset, but then, I take it as another one of those "signs of the times". I think many teams have the same concept. We, however, do not have the same consistent options, from the 3 point line. We have Kobe, and Cook, who are our most consistent... I guess Sasha, Smush, and Odom, are in the next tier of 3 point shooters, but it just isn't a consistent situation. Even Kobe has been like a faucet, with hot and cold taps.

It's a big mistake, to think that teamwork is the problem... Instead, we have to think of the lack of teamwork, that is at the root of our problems... We're like the kid who is just learning to ride a bicycle... There are times when we see some teamwork, but we look kind of awkward, most of the time. We have to trust our teammates, and we have to know where they are going to be... Teammates have to constantly work themselves open, as the ball is moving around. We got into the bad habit of standing around, while Kobe jacks them up... That habit is hard to break.

Last edited by LakersSpirit on Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

We're shooting 3-pointers when we don't have any good pure 3-point shooters (Smush, Sasha, and George are streaky shooters) and Lamar can't shoot period. It's a recipe for disaster.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

No

Presence

And Kwame got some unsually high points for him, but most of them were putbacks. Though I liked they went to him after his man had fronted him a few times. That just gave Kwame a wide open basket (And since it's Kwame you still can't certain he will score) on 2-3 occassions

What they need is a post player.

Either Kobe needs to move in, LO needs to switched his role a bit or they need to aquire one.

Since Kobe and LO are doing what Phil wants from them - We have to hope that the Lakers can aquire one ....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The three point heavers I could live with but just the effiency is what hurts. It's gettin' real close to playoffs. Since we are all kinda optimistic about the playoffs the Lakers are just gonna have to be more clutch. We all know Kobe is the most clutch in the game today then he has to be more clutch on the long bombs.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I remember last year I was complaining about the 3 point shots. I thought kobe was taking too many last year, but he is even taking more this year (yeah I know it's not a big difference but it's still more) and at a slightly lower percentage (yeah I know it's not a big difference, but it's still lower). 5.98 a game or 6 attempts is too much. The last 5 games he's been averaging 9 attempts a game @ 28%. Even if he can't drive in through the traffic, he should stick with the mid range game because when he was doing that he was unstoppable. He should be able to at least take a step inside the arc. Cook should be the only one shooting threes right now (on the Pick 'n' Pop with Kobe). I hate Cook and always have, but he should be the only one shooting threes right now (Kobe and Smush and George should get one or two per game).
VEN_150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

taking too many threes means being lazy, or we don't know how to create a shot through moving off the ball, i don't know which it is with this team.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

If Kobe is in a slump, he should keep shooting.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

This thread must be locked and discarded. No where in it does it say Lamar is the problem. Don't you know anything about basketball?

SARCASM

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Too many 3 point attempts

Philostrator wrote:
Kobe - 1 / 8 (awful)
Devin - 2 / 6 (bad)
Vujacic - 1 / 4 (ouch)

Will they ever learn? Kobe shouldn't take many 3's when he knows he's doesn't have the hot hand.

Devin 2/6 is great. Its 1/3 (33%). BUt 1/8 is horrible, but a lot of those

threes came from Kobe cuz he had to bail us out w/ 3 secs left on the

clock.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

The one guy who should shoot more threes is Brian Cook.
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
The one guy who should shoot more threes is Brian Cook.
No, he needs to take quality shots to space floor for other players. Not just jack up threes.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Too many 3 point attempts

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
Philostrator wrote:
Kobe - 1 / 8 (awful)
Devin - 2 / 6 (bad)
Vujacic - 1 / 4 (ouch)

Devin 2/6 is great. Its 1/3 (33%). BUt 1/8 is horrible, but a lot of those

threes came from Kobe cuz he had to bail us out w/ 3 secs left on the

clock.

that's an over rated excuse. For one thing, not all his bailout shots are 3s, and he doesn't take that many bailout shots as people keep saying he does. At the most you take away 2 of those shot attempts and you're left with 1-6 which still sucks.

Kobe's turning into vince carter lately with his lazy shot attempts. If you look at the last few games his 2 point shot is still coming at a decent clip, despite the fact that he hasn't taken it to the hoop much lately. That tells me he should stop shooting the 3s unless wide open and get more mid range shots.
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I don't have a problem with the 3s as long as the right players are shooting them. Devean can make them and has throughout his career but he's in a slump recently. I can live with that. I think Lamar and Walton should get benched every time they take a 3. Sasha usually only takes wide open 3s and he has the ability to make them (he makes them in practice) He only shoots every now and then anyway.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Teams that shoot that many 3's do not have a winning record. Except PHX, they're the exception.

Look at GS and see how many they average. I cringe when I see teams putting up 25+ 3's a game. Sadly, we're slowly creeping into that category. What's even more sad, is we don't have the personnel to play that type of game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: