Canadian University gym removes weighing scale because it triggered people
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 1912
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Canadian University gym removes weighing scale because it triggered people

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03/14/carleton-university-weighing-scale_n_15370874.html
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 27139

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject:

That's no exactly what the article said. It said they wanted to promote a more holistic sense of "health" rather than push weight as a key metric. Nobody complained about it prior to removal. I disagree with them, but I don't think anyone is really triggered by a scale at the gym. My gym only has 1 scale and it's not even in a high traffic area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 1912
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
That's no exactly what the article said. It said they wanted to promote a more holistic sense of "health" rather than push weight as a key metric. Nobody complained about it prior to removal. I disagree with them, but I don't think anyone is really triggered by a scale at the gym. My gym only has 1 scale and it's not even in a high traffic area.


Quote:
The article in Carleton's student newspaper "The Charlatan" quoted a student who supports Carleton for removing devices that could be "triggering'' to those with eating disorders, but some were quick to criticize those remarks.

_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
marga86
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 3323

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
That's no exactly what the article said. It said they wanted to promote a more holistic sense of "health" rather than push weight as a key metric. Nobody complained about it prior to removal. I disagree with them, but I don't think anyone is really triggered by a scale at the gym. My gym only has 1 scale and it's not even in a high traffic area.


Quote:
The article in Carleton's student newspaper "The Charlatan" quoted a student who supports Carleton for removing devices that could be "triggering'' to those with eating disorders, but some were quick to criticize those remarks.



check and mate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 27139

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
That's no exactly what the article said. It said they wanted to promote a more holistic sense of "health" rather than push weight as a key metric. Nobody complained about it prior to removal. I disagree with them, but I don't think anyone is really triggered by a scale at the gym. My gym only has 1 scale and it's not even in a high traffic area.


Quote:
The article in Carleton's student newspaper "The Charlatan" quoted a student who supports Carleton for removing devices that could be "triggering'' to those with eating disorders, but some were quick to criticize those remarks.


That's after the removal. Not a response to "triggered" student. We've heard this kind of thing from people who don't even go to gyms before, that people "look at them" or "judge" them because they are fat. It's just something they project because they don't want to work out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Jan 2002
Posts: 6116
Location: Lake Forest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

When are they going to remove all of the mirrors? That should go over well with the free weight users.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GoldenThroat
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 33183

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Do any people outside of college campuses and those who enjoy making all liberals out to be beta-cuck-snowflake-SJWs actually use the word or embrace the concept of being "triggered"?
_________________
http://lakerfilmroom.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSanity
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 27673
Location: Long Beach, California

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Do any people outside of college campuses and those who enjoy making all liberals out to be beta-cuck-snowflake-SJWs actually use the word or embrace the concept of being "triggered"?


I don't know... but you better stop triggering me with such questions.
_________________
LakersGround's Terms of Service
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 1912
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Do any people outside of college campuses and those who enjoy making all liberals out to be beta-cuck-snowflake-SJWs actually use the word or embrace the concept of being "triggered"?


no
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 1912
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
When are they going to remove all of the mirrors? That should go over well with the free weight users.


If they really want to make waves, they need to impose an open death penalty on rack goblins. Hey where's the other 45 plate? What the F happened to the straight pulley bar? Rack goblin
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 9944
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
When are they going to remove all of the mirrors? That should go over well with the free weight users.


If they really want to make waves, they need to impose an open death penalty on rack goblins. Hey where's the other 45 plate? What the F happened to the straight pulley bar? Rack goblin




I'm all for a 10-day ban on bench/machine hoverers.
_________________
Magic and Jeannie: you are now on the clock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 40524

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
When are they going to remove all of the mirrors? That should go over well with the free weight users.


If they really want to make waves, they need to impose an open death penalty on rack goblins. Hey where's the other 45 plate? What the F happened to the straight pulley bar? Rack goblin


Also wouldn't mind a public exile of "Let me sneak by you" space invaders who can't wait 30 seconds to get access to their locker that is next to yours.
_________________
2-3-7-14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 1912
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
When are they going to remove all of the mirrors? That should go over well with the free weight users.


If they really want to make waves, they need to impose an open death penalty on rack goblins. Hey where's the other 45 plate? What the F happened to the straight pulley bar? Rack goblin




I'm all for a 10-day ban on bench/machine hoverers.


SHAME.

SHAME.

SHAME.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 1912
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
When are they going to remove all of the mirrors? That should go over well with the free weight users.


If they really want to make waves, they need to impose an open death penalty on rack goblins. Hey where's the other 45 plate? What the F happened to the straight pulley bar? Rack goblin


Also wouldn't mind a public exile of "Let me sneak by you" space invaders who can't wait 30 seconds to get access to their locker that is next to yours.


Or Mr. Olympia, who sees several new gym bros who aren't yet familiar with equipment or proper technique and watches them almost accidentally kill themselves. But here comes semi-attractive cardio bunny and she's having trouble adjusting a seat height (not really); she needs help and some flirtation!
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 40524

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ocho wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
When are they going to remove all of the mirrors? That should go over well with the free weight users.


If they really want to make waves, they need to impose an open death penalty on rack goblins. Hey where's the other 45 plate? What the F happened to the straight pulley bar? Rack goblin


Also wouldn't mind a public exile of "Let me sneak by you" space invaders who can't wait 30 seconds to get access to their locker that is next to yours.


Or Mr. Olympia, who sees several new gym bros who aren't yet familiar with equipment or proper technique and watches them almost accidentally kill themselves. But here comes semi-attractive cardio bunny and she's having trouble adjusting a seat height (not really); she needs help and some flirtation!


On his way there he brushes by Leonard, the 75 year old currently exercising in a polo shirt. He's at the gym every day but somehow looks like he has never worked out. Leonard is killing it on the lat pulldown machine (no weight).
_________________
2-3-7-14
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 1912
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ocho wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
When are they going to remove all of the mirrors? That should go over well with the free weight users.


If they really want to make waves, they need to impose an open death penalty on rack goblins. Hey where's the other 45 plate? What the F happened to the straight pulley bar? Rack goblin


Also wouldn't mind a public exile of "Let me sneak by you" space invaders who can't wait 30 seconds to get access to their locker that is next to yours.


Or Mr. Olympia, who sees several new gym bros who aren't yet familiar with equipment or proper technique and watches them almost accidentally kill themselves. But here comes semi-attractive cardio bunny and she's having trouble adjusting a seat height (not really); she needs help and some flirtation!


On his way there he brushes by Leonard, the 75 year old currently exercising in a polo shirt. He's at the gym every day but somehow looks like he has never worked out. Leonard is killing it on the lat pulldown machine (no weight).


lmao!!

Leonard is good friends with Mr. Grail Knight. The staff sets Defcon 3 when Mr. Grail Knight checks in because he has already died there twice. He used to be found in various areas of the gym, but since his last stroke he only ever sits in the locker room with a slouch, wearing but a towel and his weird old man rope necklace, wet, staring blankly at nothing, for hours and hours, looking gross.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 13225

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

There used to be a guy that I saw in the gym every week that I nicknamed Hoax Hogan since he had the same facial hair as him.

Leg days for him were the worst days to be in the gym. The whole hour I took for my session he'd spend on one exercise, the seated leg press.

He'd selfishly take as many plates as humanly possible and start stacking them up on the machine, using a belt to tie up a bunch of them. It was a truly amazing sight to see so many plates precariously tied together and not see the sheer volume and weight of them just crush him. He'd do just one rep.
One.
F'n.
Rep.

Then he'd be so tired from it and start walking around and resting for a long time, drinking water or talking to whomever. Then he'd start the whole routine again. By the time I'm done with my workout, he's still on the machine.

So a couple of weeks ago I ask about the guy. The trainer told me that he no longer trains at that location. Out of curiosity I asked about why he does what he does and apparently the reason he trained the way he did was because he suffered from some strange disorder to affected his muscles so he had to try to build them up as big as possible. Whatever...

But the big kicker was the story he told me. Apparently one day he loaded up the machine like he always did, but since it wasn't so crowded he had free reign on a lot more plates. Needless to say, he took them and proceeded to load all of them onto the machine, placing them in every nook and cranny that he can. Once he released the safety bar though, the sheer weight of everything just shot him out of the machine like a cannon with him screaming like a Wookie in heat.

He lied on the floor motionless for several minutes. Nobody even bothered to check on him since they were in shock at what just happened and there were hardly anyone around. Finally as one of the workers came by to check him he started to slowly get back up, acting all confused as to what just happened. He was banned not that long after. If I were there the day he was banned, naturally I'd ask him "What'cha gonna do, brother?!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 1912
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
There used to be a guy that I saw in the gym every week that I nicknamed Hoax Hogan since he had the same facial hair as him.

Leg days for him were the worst days to be in the gym. The whole hour I took for my session he'd spend on one exercise, the seated leg press.

He'd selfishly take as many plates as humanly possible and start stacking them up on the machine, using a belt to tie up a bunch of them. It was a truly amazing sight to see so many plates precariously tied together and not see the sheer volume and weight of them just crush him. He'd do just one rep.
One.
F'n.
Rep.

Then he'd be so tired from it and start walking around and resting for a long time, drinking water or talking to whomever. Then he'd start the whole routine again. By the time I'm done with my workout, he's still on the machine.

So a couple of weeks ago I ask about the guy. The trainer told me that he no longer trains at that location. Out of curiosity I asked about why he does what he does and apparently the reason he trained the way he did was because he suffered from some strange disorder to affected his muscles so he had to try to build them up as big as possible. Whatever...

But the big kicker was the story he told me. Apparently one day he loaded up the machine like he always did, but since it wasn't so crowded he had free reign on a lot more plates. Needless to say, he took them and proceeded to load all of them onto the machine, placing them in every nook and cranny that he can. Once he released the safety bar though, the sheer weight of everything just shot him out of the machine like a cannon with him screaming like a Wookie in heat.

He lied on the floor motionless for several minutes. Nobody even bothered to check on him since they were in shock at what just happened and there were hardly anyone around. Finally as one of the workers came by to check him he started to slowly get back up, acting all confused as to what just happened. He was banned not that long after. If I were there the day he was banned, naturally I'd ask him "What'cha gonna do, brother?!"


lmao
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Posts: 15290

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

If you don't want to see your weight, don't get on a scale, it's as simple as that. It's those people's responsibility to deal with the reality that scales exist and other people want/need to use them. Their limitations should not become other's limitations, then you just drag everyone down to the lowest common denominator.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 13336
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Do any people outside of college campuses and those who enjoy making all liberals out to be beta-cuck-snowflake-SJWs actually use the word or embrace the concept of being "triggered"?


no


I didn't know that was an actual expression. I thought the OP just ran out of characters in the title bar.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 1912
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

Poseidon

Guy who stands at the drinking fountain and fills his endlessly large water bottle, totally oblivious to the 9 people behind him who have died of dehydration.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 14178

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:



This thread exactly why I only go to the gym on base (avg of only 1 to 2 other people using it when I go), or workout at home.

I could not handle a membership at 24/LA Fitness/etc
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 6210

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I don't go to the gym anymore, but back in the day the only thing that bugged me was people who walked around naked in the locker room.
_________________
"Keep looking at me like that and I'll turn Suplex City into Mizney World."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 8233

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Do any people outside of college campuses and those who enjoy making all liberals out to be beta-cuck-snowflake-SJWs actually use the word or embrace the concept of being "triggered"?


Before it started taking over political arguements, I used to hear it a lot from people battling addiction or actual PTSD. For whatever reason people use it as a buzzword to stir the pot like the phrases you mentioned above.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Don Draper
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 23246
Location: #loading

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

Lol. If my gym took out the scales I'd find a new gym.

I'm guessing being holistically healthy just means you're too lazy to track calorie intake using a fitness app.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB