Cook "I would take that same shot again, and I will shoot it again if I ever have a chance."
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Cook "I would take that same shot again, and I will shoot it again if I ever have a chance."

credit-flexxdzl
clublakers

Quote:
They executed much better than we did down the stretch and got big plays when they needed to," Bryant said. "We didn't make the stops that we needed to. Offensively we did all right, but defensively we weren't able to keep guys in front of us at the end at we put them at the free throw line.

"I don't even know how many free throws they shot in the fourth quarter (12-for-17), but I assume it's a lot -- especially at the end of the game. That's when we have to buckle down and make them make shots -- not bail them out with free points."

Bryant made a 3-pointer that triggered a run of eight straight points by the nine-time All-Star and gave the Lakers an 86-77 lead with 7:48 to play. But Jones' 3-pointer capped a 9-2 spurt and got Memphis within 90-89 with 3:53 remaining.

Bryant gave the Lakers some breathing room with a 14-footer, Kwame Brown converted an offensive rebound of Lamar Odom's long miss into a 3-point play and Bryant drained a 20-footer for a 99-95 lead with 1:07 left. But the Grizzlies wouldn't quit.

Brown tied a season high with 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds before fouling out with 53 seconds to go. Gasol sank both free throws, then blocked a shot by Odom at the other end and tied the score at 99 on a layup with 29 seconds left.

"The last few games were tough because I didn't produce in the last five minutes," Gasol said. "Tonight it was time to step up, be a little more aggressive and produce. Luckily I was aggressive and things worked out well."

Gasol missed a free throw attempting to complete a three-point play, but Brian Cook missed a 16-footer for the Lakers and Atkins made one of two free throws for a one-point lead.

AP - Feb 12, 1:38 am EST
More Photos
"I would take that same shot again," Cook said. "It felt good, but it was just short. I had the confidence to take it, and I will shoot it again if I ever have a chance."
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject:

While I would have liked Kobe to take that shot, I do like that attitude from Cook. I'd much rather have guys that are not scared to take the last shot, and not scared to fail from time to time than those that shy away from it.
mike_kb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject:

The problem was failure to recognize the shot-clock. At least Cook is confident enough to take the shot. He has to prove he can perform under duress though.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject:

See what it does when you hang out with stoners (Odumb)?

The stoner mentality permeates.
We'd better get Kobe the hell away from Odumb.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject:

I have no problem with Cook taking the shot...it was just too early to take that shot.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject:

Good for any Laker that claims to have balls. That first half offensively was just what the Lakers have been looking for... Now, if they could just start making teams work harder for points as Bryant mentions in the text things could start to look a lot better...
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject:

Kobe says it was the defense... agreed.

Cook says he would take that shot again... agreed. It was a wide open look. The timing wasn't perfect, but if the shot goes in it looks a lot better. In the end we couldn't get the stops when it counted.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject:

The whole quote from Cook:

Quote:

"That's what I hit, that's what I do," Cook said. "It just felt good. I'd take it again. I think we ran the play a little too early. There was lots of time on the clock. We'll just have to learn from that."
2The4th
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject:

It is a good attempt at least unlike odem's in your face layup that gets called for offensive foul nine times out of ten.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject:

2The4th wrote:
It is a good attempt at least unlike odem's in your face layup that gets called for offensive foul nine times out of ten.

?
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject:

People question that a player who had only been in the game for 12 minutes should take shots. Cook only averages 18.5mpg this season. There is no reason why Cook shouldn't take shots. He shoots over 51% from the field and 50% on threes, despite his limited playing time. Shooters must be fearless. Jump shooters who average over 50% are uncommon. It can't be all Kobe. If it's all Kobe, all the opposing team has to do is stop Kobe. The Lakers need multiple options. I like Kobe taking shots, but especially on a night Kobe isn't shooting well, Cook is a very good alternative.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject:

I didn't mind the shot that Cook took, it just sucked that he bricked it.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject:

A funny thing is that even a player who shoots 50 percent still misses half his shots. Yet, 50% from the field is an excellent percentage for a jump shooter. One of the worst shots I have ever seen was one Luke Walton never took.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:

The shot wasn't the problem. It was the decision to shoot the ball with 13 seconds left in the game and 8 seconds left on the shot clock.

Cook has been in the league long enough. That was a rookie mistake. Simply put, that was poor time management.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

He'l learn from this mistake. Look for him to become a good solid scorer in the NBA, the guy has balls and he can shoot the rock !

Props to Cook for showing some heart.

About Lamar ... how much more we need ? get that guy out of here !!!!!!!
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

yea..........Cook definitely is more dumb than I thought he is!!
He just lost a big game for us, then he said he would take the same shot again?!?!
what a dumbass
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

That shot should been Smush's.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:

Jacko wrote:
He just lost a big game for us, then he said he would take the same shot again?!?!
what a dumbass

At least he has heart, a thing that Odum lacks off
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:

2The4th wrote:

It was just as bad. That open jumper Cook had was just as inviting as the open lane Odom thought he had. Either way, they both went too quickly.

The Griz had over 14 seconds run that last play that drew a foul. If the Lakers had run it down to near the end of the shot clock, the Griz would have only had 4-5 seconds. They would have to put up hurried shot instead of patiently running Chucky through screens.

I didn't like Cook taking that shot because he'd been on the bench so long.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

I didn't like Cook taking that shot because he'd been on the bench so long.

I agree, but I still think Cook is our best shooting 2nd option
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

It doesn't change the fact that it is a poor decision.

Lakers use the clock, miss, and Memphis gets the ball with 5-6 seconds left... easier to create the worst case scenario for OT.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

40ptmachine wrote:
Jacko wrote:
what a dumbass

At least he has heart, a thing that Odum lacks off

So Odom playing with torn cartilege in his ribs isn't a sign of heart? If anything, LO just isn't a spectacular player, a non-superstar getting superstar $$.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

Rookie mistake? Like the one Odom made against the Kings?
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:

So Odom playing with torn cartilege in his ribs isn't a sign of heart?

No that's not exactly the typo of "heart" that am talking about. When Kobe is OFF, he seems not capable of stepping up to the plate and shown some "heart" in order to get the job done. That's what am talking about
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

40ptmachine wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:

So Odom playing with torn cartilege in his ribs isn't a sign of heart?

No that's not exactly the typo of "heart" that am talking about. When Kobe is OFF, he seems not capable of stepping up to the plate and shown some "heart" in order to get the job done. That's what am talking about

LO is what he is. If he's never shown the "heart" to get the job done, why do you expect it from him?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: