Cook "I would take that same shot again, and I will shoot it again if I ever have a chance."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

hated the shot, love the confidence
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

Props to Cookie for having ball$. At least he doesn't hesitate like most of his teammates and he isn't a practice shooter like Sasha.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:

LO is what he is. If he's never shown the "heart" to get the job done, why do you expect it from him?

Cuz he gets paid enough money to do that, too much money
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

40ptmachine wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:

LO is what he is. If he's never shown the "heart" to get the job done, why do you expect it from him?

Cuz he gets paid enough money to do that, too much money

Which is why one should always be leary when taking on a Pat Riley big contract player. Riles seems to like to pay people based on what they could be (Odom, BGrant). For some reason, he thinks if you pay someone 10-15 mil, they'll play like 10-15 mil. Lamar was given a superstar contract with no real resume to show that he was in fact a superstar. But Riles isn't the only one guilty of such practices. Mark Cuban's done the same things with stiffs like Eric Dampier and Raef LaFrentz, Chris Mullen is about to enter the Salary Cap Twilight Zone with the marginal players he has on superstar retainer, and we won't even talk about Isiah Thomas.

That being said, it wouldn't be such a big deal if they didn't give these guys so many years. These GMs really need to tighten up the purse strings and give max years only to guys who are PROVEN. This is why even though a guy like Kwame has proven to be a stiff so far, it ultimately was a good deal because at the end of the day, it's a 2 year committment. If he shows promise, or really develops, they can exercise that 3rd year. Imagine being stuck with Kwame's contract for 5 or 6 years ??

We need to keep in mind with Lamar, that Riles paid him based on what he believed he could do, not anything he had actually done.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

What a freaking moron. Good for him that he wants to take that shot. Too bad his poor decision cost the lakers the game. Instead of the Grizzlies having the ball with roughly 4 seconds left, they had time to do what they wanted with 14 seconds.

HOW MANY TIMES HAS IT BEEN THIS YEAR WHERE WE COULD HAVE WON THE GAME IF WE JUST KNEW HOW MUCH TIME WAS ON THE CLOCK????????????

AT LEAST 3 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

Kobe took shots late in the game (early is his career), missed (ala the Utah series) and learned. He improved. Lets see if Cook can do that before the baste and bar-B-que him. He still has not gotten a lot of minutes in his career and needs more game experience.

Alfred from Batman Begins. "Why do we fall? So we can learn to get back up again."
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Kobe took shots late in the game (early is his career), missed (ala the Utah series) and learned. He improved. Lets see if Cook can do that before the baste and bar-B-que him. He still has not gotten a lot of minutes in his career and needs more game experience.

Alfred from Batman Begins. "Why do we fall? So we can learn to get back up again."

At least he has a very good shooer, the guy's young and will learn.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

Jacko wrote:
yea..........Cook definitely is more dumb than I thought he is!!
He just lost a big game for us, then he said he would take the same shot again?!?!
what a dumbass

Hey, Kobe missed the final shot of the game, but if you ask him if he'd take the same shot, my bet would be that he will. Is Kobe a dumbass then too?
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Jacko wrote:
He just lost a big game for us, then he said he would take the same shot again?!?!
what a dumbass

Hey, Kobe missed the final shot of the game, but if you ask him if he'd take the same shot, my bet would be that he will. Is Kobe a dumbass then too?

We are waiting for ya response Jacko
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

Cooks an idiot. Best to go into overtime than to try a stupid shot and miss.
unpossibl1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

I have no problem with Cook taking the shot that he did. He was wide open from 18 feet out. I don't think we were going to get a better look than that. Yes, ideally we would have run the clock down more, but that is Cook's shot....he usually knocks that down. You have to take that one.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Jacko wrote:
what a dumbass

Are you kidding? You can't compare the two.

Kobe didn't have a choice, Cook did. Calling Cook dumb is a bit harsh, but it wasn't a smart play.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:

Even a great shooter misses half his jumpers. Kobe provided some great game winning shots, but he shoots around 45%, so 55% of the time he misses. Normally, Cook converts the open look from that range.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
Cooks an idiot. Best to go into overtime than to try a stupid shot and miss.

He is our only good outside shooter man ( besides Kobe)
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
Jacko wrote:
what a dumbass

Are you kidding? You can't compare the two.

Kobe didn't have a choice, Cook did. Calling Cook dumb is a bit harsh, but it wasn't a smart play.

What does it matter whether or not they have a choice? Are you telling me that Kobe would not take that shot in Cook's situation? Wide open shot with 15 seconds on the shot clock? What does that matter? And if Kobe missed it, would you call him a jackass too?

The point is that it's better to have players who are willing to take the shot if put into that situation. The other alternative is to have a choker like Peja throw up an airball and let it intimidate him for the rest of his career. There are going to be situations where Kobe can't take the final shot. We need role players to step up and be willing to take it. Did Jordan take all the big shots? No, he had players like Kerr who weren't afraid. So that Jacko character's shot at Cook was unwarranted and dumb.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Wide open shot with 15 seconds on the shot clock? What does that matter? And if Kobe missed it, would you call him a jackass too?

If he misses, it's still a critical mistake. Comprimising the team. 5 seconds of defense for a stop? Or 13.8? It's a lifetime at the NBA level.

Unlike Cook, Bryant could actually attack the basket in that situation for a higher percentage shot or draw contact.

That's the reason why you want the best shot creators on the team taking the last shot.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Wide open shot with 15 seconds on the shot clock? What does that matter? And if Kobe missed it, would you call him a jackass too?

If he misses, it's still a critical mistake. Comprimising the team. 5 seconds of defense for a stop? Or 13.8? It's a lifetime at the NBA level.

Unlike Cook, Bryant could actually attack the basket in that situation for a higher percentage shot or draw contact.

That's the reason why you want the best shot creators on the team taking the last shot.

Right, but again, everyone has been harping on Kobe needing help on this team the whole freaking season. We have an opportunity here to get some role players who are willing to make plays and shots in the closing seconds. Do we stunt that growth and always go with Bryant for the shots? Every team is going to be honing in on Kobe, and when the time truly comes for another player to make a play, it won't happen because of critics calling them jackasses.

We need a team to win, not just an individual. Kobe needs help, even in the final moments. So even with this critical mistake, you would still want the players to learn from it, and from Cook's quote, he claims as much as that. But to call someone a jackass for saying he would take the same shot is wrong. No matter how good a shot creator a player is, they still need help. Jordan needed Kerr and Paxson to drain those 3 pointers in the playoffs. Why should Kobe not need the same type of help?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

There's a difference from making a play at the right time and simple decision-making.

That was NOT the opportune time. Take the shot with less than 6 seconds on the clock? Yes.

Try and make a play and put your team in a comprimising situation defensively? No.

MJ needed Kerr and Paxson to nail those 3 pointers in the playoffs. Difference was, those were well-run plays with the clock run down to ensure the opponent barely had a chance to score at the other end.

That's is the difference.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

MJ needed Kerr and Paxson to nail those 3 pointers in the playoffs. Difference was, those were well-run plays with the clock run down to ensure the opponent barely had a chance to score at the other end.

I agree
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Bryant's human too.

He has a crap 4th Qtr. His support is very weak too. These games won't matter in the longrun.

Sooner or later Bryant will have no excuse but to pass and make the right plays.

Just like he was in the championship days ....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I would have to agree with Kobe, offense were good, but defense were weak. Too much fouls...
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:

What we saw in the first half was encouraging. The Lakers down double digits going into the half with Bryant struggling tied the game before the buzzer. Cook meanwhile was on the bench as well. The teams ability to score is underrated without Kobe. Smush Parker can give you points. I'm convinced of that. It was just by chance that the supporting cast got the chance to score. Truth may be that Eddie Jones is still capable of giving Kobe hell and, the rest had to get busy.

If the Lakers could just put, some kind of stop em strategies in place if only when they need to the most. It would be a turning point...
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

It was a bad shot for the exact reasons Mike _at_ LG wrote. Timing is everything. We were getting beat back on transitional defense for the last 5 minutes and that shot at that time is an example for why.

The team is young mentally and it shows in close games.

We really need an upgrade on defense at the PG position and to stop taking so many 3's. Chris Mihm would really have helped in those last few minutes that Kwame missed by fouling out.

It would also help if our players got the same calls as the San Antonio Spurs, but the refs really don't respect us . This coupled with being a jumpshooting team is killing us in endgame situations.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
There's a difference from making a play at the right time and simple decision-making.

That was NOT the opportune time. Take the shot with less than 6 seconds on the clock? Yes.

Try and make a play and put your team in a comprimising situation defensively? No.

You're right that time management was atrocious. Even Cook admitted that they ran the play too early. Here's his quote:

"That's what I hit, that's what I do," Cook said. "It just felt good. I'd take it again. I think we ran the play a little too early. There was lots of time on the clock. We'll just have to learn from that."

And if you remember, it was Kobe, the shot creator, who ran the play early. If he would have held it and ran the clock more, then Cook could have taken a shot with less time on the clock.

However, before a role player like Kerr, Paxson, and Cook are allowed to shoot those shots, they should be allowed to make mistakes as well. The attitude that a player who misses a game winning shot is a jackass is a dumb statement. Didn't Kobe miss the final game winning shot last night as well? That is complete bull. Yes there could have been better clock management, yes he could have made the shot, but a person never grows without making mistakes. That is what experience is about.

So I stand with my point that calling Cook a jackass for wanting to take the same shot is not only short sighted by some fans on here, but also holds the team back when those shots are needed.

Want more proof? Here's an example. Horry was always known as a clutch shooter and performer in the playoffs. That one year he stank it up in the playoffs we got rid of him. The guy comes back and is one of the main components to the Spurs winning their championship against the Pistons. How quickly we are to spurn that which is useless to us at the moment without thought for the future.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Sooner or later Bryant will have no excuse but to pass and make the right plays.

Just like he was in the championship days ....

He is averaging 4.5 assists per game from the wing position of the triangle.

I doubt very many 2 guards in the league average more.

It has been proven that when Kobe is in attack mode (i.e. scoring) and playing well, the Lakers win. Can't expect him to be superhuman every night, but to say he isn't making the right plays is a dumb statement.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: