Shaq statue unveiling.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Shaq has ‘great emotions’ before Lakers unveil statue

Quote:
“I never thought I’d get a statue. There’s a lot of Lakers greats who deserve a statue,” O’Neal said. “So when they put my name in there, I thought it was awesome. I have great emotions. I want to thank the Buss family and the Lakers organization.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/face-747357-validated-neal.html
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Shaq has ‘great emotions’ before Lakers unveil statue

Quote:
“I never thought I’d get a statue. There’s a lot of Lakers greats who deserve a statue,” O’Neal said. “So when they put my name in there, I thought it was awesome. I have great emotions. I want to thank the Buss family and the Lakers organization.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/face-747357-validated-neal.html

Good find!
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
kwase wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Can't believe there are barely two pages here on the Shaq Statue Ceremony. This is exciting. This is a big deal. He was the most dominant player post Jordan. Yes, he wasn't drafted like Magic or Kobe. Yes, he played for like 17 different teams after the Lakers. Yes, he won a ring with the Heat. Yes, he wanted Kobe to eat salad. Yes, he's on TNT and is the Kings minority owner. But he is at heart a Laker and will always be a Laker. Did you see his reaction on Kimmel when it was announced that the Lakers were going to give him a statue? Shaq couldn't believe it! He thought he was getting Punk'd all over again (remember that episode?).

We can all agree that as great as Kobe was, he's not in the Goat conversation like Jordan, Magic, & ebrLon. Shaq should be in that conversation. And had he stayed a Laker, he would have been.

I can't agree with you on that my friend. IMO Kobe is in the conversation with the all-time greats, and because of his mental weakness lebron is not. Just my opinion though. I think if you ask Magic, Bird and Jordan they would all say that Kobe is one of the best ever.

LoL at "mental weakness"

LeBron strung together seasons Kobe could only dream of. In terms of on court production Kobe can't touch LeBron.

It's one thing to be dominant in the regular season, but it's another thing to elevate your team's level of play in the finals. Lebron has had far more bad or subpar championship games than Kobe, and he lost at least twice when he should've won. Even in Game 7 last year he shot 9-24, and it wasn't like Kobe's Game 7 vs Boston where he played terrible in the first half but was super efficient in the 4th quarter.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Kobe didn't attend Shaq's jersey being lifted to the rafters and didn't attend Shaq's HOF speech.

It'd be nice if he finally stops being a baby and supports Shaq during the statue unveiling.

Shaq attended Kobe's final game. Kobe has more rings than Shaq.

Yeah they had a bad relationship but Kobe needs to let it go IMO. You won Kobe, you got more rings than Shaq, which I'm sure he's happy about.

Let it go!

Well, Kobe had this little thing called participating in an NBA game.......
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
kwase wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Can't believe there are barely two pages here on the Shaq Statue Ceremony. This is exciting. This is a big deal. He was the most dominant player post Jordan. Yes, he wasn't drafted like Magic or Kobe. Yes, he played for like 17 different teams after the Lakers. Yes, he won a ring with the Heat. Yes, he wanted Kobe to eat salad. Yes, he's on TNT and is the Kings minority owner. But he is at heart a Laker and will always be a Laker. Did you see his reaction on Kimmel when it was announced that the Lakers were going to give him a statue? Shaq couldn't believe it! He thought he was getting Punk'd all over again (remember that episode?).

We can all agree that as great as Kobe was, he's not in the Goat conversation like Jordan, Magic, & ebrLon. Shaq should be in that conversation. And had he stayed a Laker, he would have been.

Jordan himself has explained in some level of detail why Kobe is like him but better, and why lebron is not in the discussion.
I can't agree with you on that my friend. IMO Kobe is in the conversation with the all-time greats, and because of his mental weakness lebron is not. Just my opinion though. I think if you ask Magic, Bird and Jordan they would all say that Kobe is one of the best ever.

LoL at "mental weakness"

LeBron strung together seasons Kobe could only dream of. In terms of on court production Kobe can't touch LeBron.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
Kobe didn't attend Shaq's jersey being lifted to the rafters and didn't attend Shaq's HOF speech.

It'd be nice if he finally stops being a baby and supports Shaq during the statue unveiling.

Shaq attended Kobe's final game. Kobe has more rings than Shaq.

Yeah they had a bad relationship but Kobe needs to let it go IMO. You won Kobe, you got more rings than Shaq, which I'm sure he's happy about.

Let it go!

Well, Kobe had this little thing called participating in an NBA game.......

How does a man attend his jersey retirement when he's busy trying to will his team to the playoffs

Also Kobe is going so there's that
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
kwase wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

LoL at "mental weakness"

It's one thing to be dominant in the regular season, but it's another thing to elevate your team's level of play in the finals. Lebron has had far more bad or subpar championship games than Kobe, and he lost at least twice when he should've won. Even in Game 7 last year he shot 9-24, and it wasn't like Kobe's Game 7 vs Boston where he played terrible in the first half but was super efficient in the 4th quarter.

Kobe's 2004 goose egg where he shot the Lakers out of a title is right there with Lebron's 2011 blunder.

And you're really going to try to discredit what Lebron did last year? Put up a triple double while bringing his team back from a 3-1 deficient against a 73 win team? When did Kobe accomplish anything like that?
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
slavavov wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
kwase wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

LoL at "mental weakness"

Kobe's 2004 goose egg where he shot the Lakers out of a title is right there with Lebron's 2011 blunder.

And you're really going to try to discredit what Lebron did last year? Put up a triple double while bringing his team back from a 3-1 deficient against a 73 win team? When did Kobe accomplish anything like that?

How about dispatching the 5-championship dynasty Spurs 4 times in their prime while being the best player in all those playoffs series? (2001, 2002, 2004, 2008). Nothing major, just the team that's considered by many to be the GOAT modern franchise, with the GOAT PF, GOAT coach, GOAT Twin Towers, GOAT Big 3, etc., etc., etc...
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

We can all agree that as great as Kobe was, he's not in the Goat conversation like Jordan, Magic, & Lebron. Shaq should be in that conversation. And had he stayed a Laker, he would have been.

*everyone proceeds to disagree with him*

You can say YOU... I'm here and listening... Don't need to say HIM just to get others to agree with you and laugh...

Kobe is amazing, but let's been honest... In many other NBA circles he's not even too 10. I clearly think he should be. But he didn't dominate the league the same way Shaq did during his prime...

YOU can have your opinion and I can respect that. But I can have mine too and based on your one sentence I think YOU are the type of guy who points out the window and laughs with your friend when you see a old lady in a wheel chair pushing herself up a inclined street... Don't know, you just strike me like the type...

And you strike me as the type of guy that would quickly turn to ad hominems and make it personal when someone disagrees with you.

Most of the people that I've come across in "many NBA circles" that don't have Kobe in their Top 10 are exactly like you: easily triggered because a grown ass man makes them feel a certain kind of way.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject:

He was undeniably dominant during his Lakers career. I'd guess the reason Shaq isn't viewed in the same light as Kobe or Magic has a lot to do with his post-Lakers career. He had some not-so-nice things to say about the organization, about Kobe, and about L.A. fans. He also signed with the Celtics at one point which doesn't help.

With regards to the Shaq/Kobe debate. I think the main reason Kobe gets the nod in a lot of those comparisons is because Kobe was a finisher. You couldn't go to Shaq in big moments due to his free throw shooting and that counts against him.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject:

The Diesel. What an awsome basketball player. There will never be another big man like him. I feel privledged to have been able to watch him in the png all those years. Today LA celebrates The Big Aristotle, Shaqfu, Shaq Daddy, Wilt Chamberneezy and of course the original and only Superman. LA loves you Shaq!!
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Lack of interest in Shaq

Fairly unique for me among all of history's high impact Los Angeles Lakers, Shaq never felt like Our Guy. I really never connected to his game emotionally either. Yeah, he was effective in his own rhino-in-a-china-shop way and he did become one of the toughest ever to beat for a few years. Ugly basketball though.

Just not interested in celebrating him. He's someone's hero I 'spose, just not mine.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject:

meh
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

Is it bad that the only interest I have in watching shaq ceremony is for Kobe?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject:

I believe that statue is flat.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

He's bought it up like hundreds of times, but once again he realizes that his true option was to stay a Laker for life and some omens got in the way and caused the honeymoon to end in a very bad way...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

Could you imagine what the final ring count would be if those 2 knuckle heads stayed together.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Could you imagine what the final ring count would be if those 2 knuckle heads stayed together.

They made it all the way to the finals with Kobe barely practicing because of his legal issues, Shaq feuding with Kobe and grumbling about his next contract, Malone's injuries, and Payton trying to adapt to the triangle. We never even got a real chance to see what that team was really capable of.

When Magic was forced to retire it was obvious from that 91' Finals their time was over and the Jordan-era had begun.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

We can all agree that as great as Kobe was, he's not in the Goat conversation like Jordan, Magic, & Lebron. Shaq should be in that conversation. And had he stayed a Laker, he would have been.

*everyone proceeds to disagree with him*

You can say YOU... I'm here and listening... Don't need to say HIM just to get others to agree with you and laugh...

Kobe is amazing, but let's been honest... In many other NBA circles he's not even too 10. I clearly think he should be. But he didn't dominate the league the same way Shaq did during his prime...

YOU can have your opinion and I can respect that. But I can have mine too and based on your one sentence I think YOU are the type of guy who points out the window and laughs with your friend when you see a old lady in a wheel chair pushing herself up a inclined street... Don't know, you just strike me like the type...

And you strike me as the type of guy that would quickly turn to ad hominems and make it personal when someone disagrees with you.

Most of the people that I've come across in "many NBA circles" that don't have Kobe in their Top 10 are exactly like you: easily triggered because a grown ass man makes them feel a certain kind of way.

Don't you have an old lady to go make fun of?
I'm playing dude.

I actually have Kobe in my top 5. Jordan is clearly 1st. Magic would be my 2nd. Then in no specific order Kobe, Lebron, Shaq (although an argument could be made for plenty others like Wilt, Kareem, Bird, West, Duncan, Hakeem, etc). I'm just saying Shaq deserves GOAT mentions sometimes... And as great as Kobe was, Jordan, Magic, and Lebron are superior when it comes to making teammates better. Kobe could have been the greatest facilitator, or the greatest all-around player of all time, but he decided to be a ISO, volume scorer. His passing is comparable to Magic, Lebron, or CP3. He just decided to go a different route.

As for your grown ass man comment... Umm congratulations? Way to go? You did it? I don't know what you'd like me to say about that. #NoCryingOnMambaDayForYou
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
kwase wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

LoL at "mental weakness"

I've only joined this forum 7 days ago

But the post above has to be an instant ban
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/shaquille-oneal-los-angeles-lakers-staples-statue/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

NBA Digital to Cover Lakers’ Unveiling of Shaquille O’Neal Statue
Quote:
NBA TV will cover the Lakers’ unveiling of Shaquille O’Neal’s statue, live from Star Plaza in Los Angeles on Friday, March 24 during the 7 p.m. edition of NBA GameTime (also streamed live via NBA.com). O’Neal, a Turner Sports NBA analyst, will be joined by former teammates and other Lakers notables during the dedication ceremony.

http://www.nba.com/video/2017/03/23/20170323-nba-digital-covering-lakers-unveiling-shaq-statue
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
kwase wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

LoL at "mental weakness"

I've only joined this forum 7 days ago

But the post above has to be an instant ban

Ouch! You were born with MOD powers!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
NBA Digital to Cover Lakers’ Unveiling of Shaquille O’Neal Statue
Quote:
NBA TV will cover the Lakers’ unveiling of Shaquille O’Neal’s statue, live from Star Plaza in Los Angeles on Friday, March 24 during the 7 p.m. edition of NBA GameTime (also streamed live via NBA.com). O’Neal, a Turner Sports NBA analyst, will be joined by former teammates and other Lakers notables during the dedication ceremony.

http://www.nba.com/video/2017/03/23/20170323-nba-digital-covering-lakers-unveiling-shaq-statue

Thank You. That was great!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Phil Jackson will attend Shaq ceremony

Quote:
Phil Jackson is skipping the scouting opportunity to witness a tribute to Shaquille O'Neal.
Jackson, according to the Orange County Register, is scheduled to attend the unveiling of a Shaq statue in front of the Staples Center.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/phil-jackson-chance-scout-sweet-16-stars-article-1.3007289?utm_content=buffer639b4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNSports+Twitter
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: