Rob Pelinka: Lakers can be a top FA destination
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Rob Pelinka: Lakers can be a top FA destination

https://www.google.com/amp/www.silverscreenandroll.com/platform/amp/2017/3/24/15047324/la-lakers-free-agency-rob-pelinka-vertical-podcast-agents-magic-johnson

Talks about players and agents having a positive view on the Lakers.. a good read to give us hope.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

He is not wrong. It's still LA and the lakers are one of the most powerful brands in all of sports.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

He is stating the obvious and the bottom line is we need to improve our record first. No star is coming to a team finishing with the bottom three record. Once we've become competitive again, then he can use all those advantages to recruit star players
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

I have noticed a big difference with Pelinka compared to Mitch.

He's not shy from speaking his mind, he doesn't have the calm demeanor and he looks like someone who will be more active in the media.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"The first two or three weeks have been so encouraging, because both Magic and I have talked to most of the top agents, and the feedback we're getting is there feels like a fresh start,” Pelinka said. “It feels like a new leadership team with a new vision and people are excited about hopefully becoming a part of that.

Isn't this tampering?
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

Can we?

Aside from Shaq, what big FA have we signed in the last 20 years? Lakers have built teams mainly through drafting and trades. If anything, we use FA to fill small holes.

!...
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Quote:
"The first two or three weeks have been so encouraging, because both Magic and I have talked to most of the top agents, and the feedback we're getting is there feels like a fresh start,” Pelinka said. “It feels like a new leadership team with a new vision and people are excited about hopefully becoming a part of that.

Isn't this tampering?

GMs can talk to other agents if only to gauge interest.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:

Isn't this tampering?

I read that as free agents for some reason.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Practice wrote:
Quote:

Isn't this tampering?

Something that Mitch never did! And part of the reason he spent so much time chasing after guys (Mello, LMA) who would never come here and letting attainable free agents sign elsewhere, Bazemore, IT.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Can we?

Aside from Shaq, what big FA have we signed in the last 20 years? Lakers have built teams mainly through drafting and trades. If anything, we use FA to fill small holes.

Black Mamba
The Glove
The Mailman
World Peace
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Can we?

Black Mamba
The Glove
The Mailman
World Peace

Kobe was draft day trade. I don't count re-signing him after he was already on the team.

The Glove and The Mailman were nearly dead by the time they signed with us. MWP was closer to his prime, but I think that most here would have rather kept Ariza.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Regardless of how critical people are with any FA we sign, it will be great for the FO if we sign any sort of quality FA..Glad to see that players are showing us love.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka really sounds like he falls right in line with others in the organization who believe the Laker brand is basically more important than analytics in the current NBA (my own opinion)

https://twitter.com/presidual/status/845299353388400640
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Pelinka really sounds like he falls right in line with others in the organization who believe the Laker brand is basically more important than analytics in the current NBA (my own opinion)

IMO, these media tours are for casual fans. Casual fans don't understand analytics, they don't care about analytics because it's boring to them. Hell I barely understand analytics. I'm guessing Pelinka is hyping up the Laker brand and speaking in cliches because that's what casual fans like to hear. Same thing the previous regime was doing, but he's selling it with a new face and "hope." I'd like to think that behind the scenes they are focusing more on analytics and trying to mold themselves after the more successful franchises. Magic said it's time to move forward and get with the times, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's going to keep his word.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

IMO, these media tours are for casual fans. Casual fans don't understand analytics, they don't care about analytics because it's boring to them. Hell I barely understand analytics. I'm guessing Pelinka is hyping up the Laker brand and speaking in cliches because that's what casual fans like to hear. Same thing the previous regime was doing, but he's selling it with a new face and "hope." I'd like to think that behind the scenes they are focusing more on analytics and trying to mold themselves after the more successful franchises. Magic said it's time to move forward and get with the times, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's going to keep his word.

The point of that tweet is that if you talk like this about analytics, you don't understand what analytics is, much less have mastered it and know how to apply it. They really need to hire someone who not only knows about analytics, but can outdo other teams that have some really talented analytics people.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

The point of that tweet is that if you talk like this about analytics, you don't understand what analytics is, much less have mastered it and know how to apply it. They really need to hire someone who not only knows about analytics, but can outdo other teams that have some really talented analytics people.

This. Not to mention Magic talking about PER as an analytic
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like he is rehearsing his sales pitch, to be honest.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

“More Lakers jerseys have been sold in the world than all other 29 teams combined..."

It's in the league's best interest that the Lakers return to relevance. The league still owes the Lakers for what Stern did so they still need to make up for it. They need to rig the lottery so the Lakers could keep their pick this year.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It sounds like he is rehearsing his sales pitch, to be honest.

At least he's trying. We'll see how it goes.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, it has been uninspiring so far. I never wanted Mitch to be fired, so if we're going in a different direction, I want to see and hear something different. But I'm hearing the same stuff Mitch and co pitched to free agents about Laker brand, and I'm hearing the same monotone boring voice. Lol! So all we got to go by is that he was an agent for decades and should know his stuff. So I'm hoping he knows his stuff.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Where I think Pelinka is going to be able to help is with the behind the scenes dealings with agents and players.

What the Lakers will likely need is 2 or more guys teaming up here the way LeBron and company decided to do in Miami.

It is tough to be the only star committing to a bad team, but if you get 2 or 3 guys to team up then it isn't as daunting of a task. That is likely where Pelinka can help build the narrative behind the scenes that Mitch honestly seemed to be way out of the loop on.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
“More Lakers jerseys have been sold in the world than all other 29 teams combined..."

It's in the league's best interest that the Lakers return to relevance.

I think that used to be the case. But the league has become so popular that they can have crappy teams in Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago and it doesn't matter. The league seems to have moved to a point where geographic boundaries don't matter that much
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

More lazy rhetoric about the "Laker brand."

*sigh*
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
governator wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Can we?

Black Mamba
The Glove
The Mailman
World Peace

Kobe was draft day trade. I don't count re-signing him after he was already on the team.

The Glove and The Mailman were nearly dead by the time they signed with us. MWP was closer to his prime, but I think that most here would have rather kept Ariza.

Even then, MWP filled a hole. Im assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that Rob Lowe is trying to get big fish because we need a big fish. Even when we got Shaq, we were a 50 win team, not a cellar dweller that we are now. Can Rob convince a big fish to come to a 20 win team? Who knows.

!...
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject:

He's right. The Lakers are still in LA and they will always have their heritage. Problem is the previous administration was clueless in knowing how to sell these qualities.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
He's right. The Lakers are still in LA and they will always have their heritage. Problem is the previous administration was clueless in knowing how to sell these qualities.

One of the problem is it's difficult to know how to sell these qualities anymore. In an era of cable TV and social media, a player's recognition and personal interest don't hinge much on the team they play for. It would be hard to make a case that say LeBron or Durant would have had more success from a business or personal standpoint playing in Los Angeles compared to Cleveland or Oklahoma City. That's the biggest challenge in trying to leverage the Lakers brand. Perhaps it might matter more to a second-tier superstar, but not a big fish
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: