Incompatible pieces?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I think Jules should be moved for a forward that can shoot. Let's just say you have a guy like Ryan Anderson. That opens it up for the guards and for Zubac as well.

We would miss Julius' ability to make plays with the ball which I really do like, but his tunnel vision and ISO style once we're in a halfcourt setting, in addition to his lazy defense, and inability to shoot the basketball, really make it difficult for the other guys particularly in a halfcourt setting when the defense is set.
If we get Ball, we absolutely should trade Julius. Not as sure if we don't get Ball, since we need some zip in (semi-)transition
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Russell, Ingram and our *crosses fingers* top 3 pick should be our core. We build the team with picks/veterans that compliment them.

Randle and Clarkson are expendable (I've been saying this since before the season started) and should honestly be moved. I'd seriously test the market for Randle in this years draft. Maybe package him and the Houston pick for a chance to pick in the early teen's? I'm not sure if that would be enough.

If we got lucky and Ball will fall in our lap, Randle will be a valuable piece because he can rebound and push the tempo with Ball setting the pace. Randle is still very raw, I want to see more of him before swapping him with a early teens pick. Those kinda pick takes longer to develop.

I think Ball is the more ideal transition pushing guard. In half court, Jules becomes less effective with the ball.

Julius loves pounding that rock too much to be an effective transition weapon with Ball. Getting it to Lonzo immediately or making the quick outlet pass is half the gig on UCLA.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Starting off saying I'd trade any of our current roster for the right deal - but, it'd have to be a pretty damn good deal for a few of them. I'm currently assuming we keep our pick, but won't include that here

Dlo, BI, Zu: going forward are guys I think will fit together, play the right way with ball & player movement, play defense well (eventually), and could be the core of a playoff team if you add a superstar or top 3 pick. Right now, none of them looks like a #1 option on a championship team, more like #2,#3,#5. But, they've all got room to grow still.

Nick: doesn't figure into the long term plans of the team - gone either this year or next in FA, unless he wants to sign for really cheap in which case, long term, he's probably a 3pt shooter off the bench.

JC: When we signed him for $12m a year, I thought we got a really good deal. However, he calls his own # way too often, will use up the entire shot clock dribbling the ball, doesn't really play D, and is very inefficient as a scorer and as a floor general running the 2nd team. He scores points (inefficiently), but he's detrimental to the rest of the team. I think he can easily be replaced with that Houston pick, and for a lot cheaper, and by someone that might actually play D. He needs to go.

Randle: show the very occasional game where he looks like he might be able to be an all star (offensively only) - ie the Houston game. The problem is that we see that about 8 or 10 times a season. And Randle hardly ever plays D, and on the few occasions when he does it's never for more than 2 or 3 possessions in a row. Randle doesn't show us enough to believe that he could be a starter on even a mid-tier playoff team - he projects as a bench player. The real problem is that Randle seems to actually believe he's spectacularly good - and he's going to want a big contract next year. At this time, I'm not sure he's even worth JC's $12m a year contract, much less a max type. He needs to be traded while we can still get something for him.

Black: He's a small ball backup C. He's also kind of a serviceable backup PF next to Zu. A cheap role player that we could keep - or not - and it wouldn't make much difference either way.

Nance: is cheap to keep, he plays the right way although he doesn't shoot right now, and he's usually a high energy guy on the boards & on D. He can fit it with the DLo, BI, Zu core going forward. It'd be nice to keep him, but he's not really a key cog. I'd like to see Nance starting with Dlo, Nwaba, BI, Zu and told to shoot 10 times a game - to see if he can be more then an energy guy off the bench. When he does shoot, he's pretty reasonable. Force him to shoot 10 a game like they did with BI, and see what happens (hey, we're losing anyway) Sadly, that experiment doesn't appear like it'll happen.

Moz/Deng: really don't fit with the direction the team is going. However, they're probably untradeable. It is interesting to note that if we were able to draft Ball, his ball distribution skills probably make these guys at least somewhat serviceable - right now, we don't have anyone (BI kinda can) that can consistently get the ball into the post or to Deng in the mid-range where these guys can do anything with it (neither can create their own scoring opportunities). This is not saying they'll be good - just that with the right distributor they might not be totally worthless.

everyone else is pretty much a minor role player. I'd try to keep Nwaba as a project, especially next year where they have those NBA/Dleague 16th 17th spots - but he's not really all that valuable either.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Incompatible pieces?

Lakerpark wrote:
Sorry, I didn't know where to put this...

Is it possible the cause for the Lakers failures is that the team is made up of incompatible or poorly fitting pieces? Sure they are youngsters, but they just seem so out of whack on the court. I'm assuming Luke's coaching isn't the problem.

1. The majority of the players can't shoot or won't shoot from outside. I don't think you can win a lot of games if all you can do is make layups and close in shots. And some guys have a problem with that <Ahem, Randle, Mozgov>

2. Apparently all of the players can't play defense. (except Nwaba now)

3. There are a lot of useless, non-productive veterans (baby sitters) taking up cap space and roster spaces.

4. As much as I like Nance, it seems like he and Randle as a PF Tandem is not good enough. Unless one of both of them learns to shoot, and I mean really shoot, by next season, they will be a liability to the Lakers offense. If the Lakers are lucky enough to get LBall, it would seem that the advantages of Randle's push the ball abilities would be outweighed by his inability to shoot the long ball. If either Nance or Randle don't become productive stretch 4s by next season the Lakers should package one of them with the Houston pick and "sweetners" and get a better first round pick and draft a real stretch 4.

5. The Lakers can't keep filling the roster with rookies. Next season, DLo (3rd Season), Clarkson & Randle (4th Season) it's time for them to start growing up.

We have a team that can't shoot and can't defend.

I think Ingram and Russell have potential.

Clarkson is what he is -- a run of the mill guard who doesn't do anything particularly well. Randle has too many flaws to be a starter on a good team.

So I'm not worried about how the pieces fit, as much as just gathering more talent.

Hopefully we get a good pick, and then Ingram and Russell develop enough to attract a good free agent or two. But all that is still a ways off. Unless of course Magic panics and ships a bunch of people off for Paul George.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Russell, Ingram and our *crosses fingers* top 3 pick should be our core. We build the team with picks/veterans that compliment them.

Randle and Clarkson are expendable (I've been saying this since before the season started) and should honestly be moved. I'd seriously test the market for Randle in this years draft. Maybe package him and the Houston pick for a chance to pick in the early teen's? I'm not sure if that would be enough.

If we got lucky and Ball will fall in our lap, Randle will be a valuable piece because he can rebound and push the tempo with Ball setting the pace. Randle is still very raw, I want to see more of him before swapping him with a early teens pick. Those kinda pick takes longer to develop.

I think Ball is the more ideal transition pushing guard. In half court, Jules becomes less effective with the ball.

Julius loves pounding that rock too much to be an effective transition weapon with Ball. Getting it to Lonzo immediately or making the quick outlet pass is half the gig on UCLA.

yeah, that "Randle slow-break" is major annoying. He'll jog the ball up the court when there are better ball handlers in front of him who are open.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I dont mind Clarkson as a bench player. Having a player off the bench who can create his own shot is valuable. But I also dont mind if we trade him in the right deal.
I dont see Randle as a #3 or #4 player on a championship team at all and am all in for trading him.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

If we can trade Randle/Clarkson for a good player, fine, but I think it'd be going backwards to trade them for a draft pick. Would we need to take back salary in that case as well?

Clarkson is fine off the bench. His contract is good, he can produce, and he should be able to find a comfortable role, especially if we have some extended continuity with the bench unit.

Russell and Ingram should be able to fit anywhere. I'm high on Russel.

Ingram will play the 4 for stretches, but plenty of 3s who outweigh him by 30+ pounds haven't made a full time transition to four. There's a reason for that.

I also think the gradual improvements in basically his entire game has given Randle the benefit of the doubt to show how much he can improve between now and the next trade deadline.

Would 3% percentage would ya'll be happy with to keep Julius around? 30%? 33%?
brock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Incompatible pieces?

I disagree with almost every point.

Lakerpark wrote:

Is it possible the cause for the Lakers failures is that the team is made up of incompatible or poorly fitting pieces? Sure they are youngsters, but they just seem so out of whack on the court. I'm assuming Luke's coaching isn't the problem.

1. The majority of the players can't shoot or won't shoot from outside. I don't think you can win a lot of games if all you can do is make layups and close in shots. And some guys have a problem with that <Ahem, Randle, Mozgov>

This isn't true. The majority of our players can and do regularly shoot from outside:

Young, Russel, Clarkson, Deng, Ingram (all with more than 2 threes attempted per game), Ennis, Brewer. Why in the world would you want our bigs (Mozgov and Randle) to shoot from outside?

Quote:

This is just silly. Ingram is a great defender (or will be as he matures). But most of our players are young, so what you're seeing is inconsistency on the defensive end. But they are certainly athletic enough to play D, and the coaching is emphasizing it. Russell, Clarkson, Deng, Ingram, Randle, Nance, they all have the ability, with experience to be better than average on defense.

Quote:
3. There are a lot of useless, non-productive veterans (baby sitters) taking up cap space and roster spaces.

A lot? You mean two? Listen, Mozgov and Deng were both brought in to coach and mentor all of our young players. Nothing wrong with that. Especially when we don't need to choke up cap space right now before we're ready to make a playoff push. I think the mentoring Deng and Mozgov can provide Zubic and Ingram is well worth their cap hit.
Quote:

4. As much as I like Nance, it seems like he and Randle as a PF Tandem is not good enough. Unless one of both of them learns to shoot, and I mean really shoot, by next season, they will be a liability to the Lakers offense. If the Lakers are lucky enough to get LBall, it would seem that the advantages of Randle's push the ball abilities would be outweighed by his inability to shoot the long ball. If either Nance or Randle don't become productive stretch 4s by next season the Lakers should package one of them with the Houston pick and "sweetners" and get a better first round pick and draft a real stretch 4.

Why? Hustle, rebounding, athletic guys like this are hard to come by. Can you imagine if we'd had Randle or Nance in the Shaq/Kobe years? We were in desperate need of tough, athletic guys like this. Plus, they are YOUNG. Give them a couple of years to improve for pete sake.

Quote:
5. The Lakers can't keep filling the roster with rookies. Next season, DLo (3rd Season), Clarkson & Randle (4th Season) it's time for them to start growing up.

They are growing up. As you just pointed out. Why can't they keep drafting rookies while the team is in rebuild mode? And by the way, that's the funny thing about rookies, they only stay rookies one year! LOL. Clarkson will be a 4th year next year dude.

Talk to OK City and see what they think about growing with a bunch of young guys and watch them improve together.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Yes they're incompatible. Every single one of the young kids are tradeable for the right pieces. I don't see a future superstar in any of them, but possibly an all-star or two. I'm not as extreme as Morey or Hinkie, but I see them more as assets and have little emotional attachment.

I have a slight affinity for our rookies. I think BI and Zub can potentially be 3rd and 4th options respectively on a competitive team. They are both guys whom I think can be more important to a team than the stats indicate.

Clarkson and Randle will make very nice bench pieces on a competitive playoff team. They will not be starters in this league unless they make a complete 180 defensively.

DLo is a touchy topic around these parts so I'll hold my criticism, but I'll just say I'm not as high on him as some are. He has all-star potential and I'll just leave it at that. I'd still move him if there was a golden opportunity.

Nance Jr. is my favorite current Laker and I'd really hate to see him on another team. I don't know if he'll ever really be healthy with his style of play unfortunately. He's the kind of role player every championship team needs, and even more remarkable, he relishes being that guy.

The one star I would not trade the farm for is PG13 because I think he wants to sign here anyway.

Agree 1000% on all points. Although for the right package, I snatch Georgesooner than later if he commits to an extension
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:

Clarkson is fine off the bench. His contract is good, he can produce, and he should be able to find a comfortable role, especially if we have some extended continuity with the bench unit.

Contract is not good, 12 millions for his production off the bench is a waste of money.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Incompatible pieces?

Lakerpark wrote:

As much as I hate to admit it. and as much as I like randle and nance. I have to agree with you. these guys need to be able to hit that midee as good as prime David West.

Like money mid range shot if you leave me open. If not. its time for someone to go. I need to see crazy improvement on that front next season.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

It is a terrible roster and many here supported Mitch right until the obvious and necessary end.

Mitch and Jim have cratered the franchise to unprecedented levels, it is not an easy fix that faces Magic and Pelinka.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

A stretch 4 who can d up would serve them better than randle.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I remember the year they drafted Randle I kind of liked McDermott. How's his career panned out? Would anyone trade Randle for McDermott?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject:

I have a varying degree of love for all of the young Lakers. There is some young quality talent. Though it's all still developing.

I think this summer we see some guys get moved.

Black is likely a goner if they can find a taker for his contract. He has some value there and you can only have so many power forwards/small ball centers who can't shoot on one roster. Unless Randle or Nance get moved, Black is as good as gone.

I think Ingram is a keeper unless someone sends a superstar our way. Have to like his progress so far even after an underwhelming start.

I think Russell has the most alpha potential on the roster but I could see him getting moved if they can bring back an All-Star. The fact that we have both Clarkson and Russell and they don't play particularly well together makes one of the expendable. That's probably going to be Clarkson. But if the right deal comes along I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Russell go.

Nance's injury concerns probably prevent him from being in discussion as a power forward of the future. I like him off the bench though as a spark plug. I think either he or Randle get moved this summer, and if neither does then Black is certainly moved. Unless he or Randle can hit their jump shots consistently or prove to be a good small ball duo though we really need to find a four who can stretch the court better. There really is nobody right now. Even Deng wasn't doing a good job of stretching the floor when he played at PF.

I have enjoyed Randle's progress this year, but with him being the closest to a big extension and having probably the highest value of the young guys you wouldn't hate to part with there's a chance he gets moved if you can bring back a star player who is a better fit. That having been said I like his work ethic and unless you can bring back a star player in a multiplayer deal I think you move Nance or Black instead. Both of those guys make more sense as bench players if you have a star power forward. Otherwise Randle makes more sense because he has the potential to become that where they don't.

Last game aside, Clarkson is playing the best basketball since his rookie season since the All-star break. I think the biggest problem for him is that he and Russell aren't ideal fits together. If the Lakers keep their pick and draft a point guard, I'm fine with having Clarkson playing the Lou Williams role off the bench. If we need another starter to go alongside Russell though I think he is the most likely guy to get moved. He's young and talented enough to have value, and redundant enough that you can part with him. A package of Clarkson and Randle together can probably fetch a decent return and maybe be used to move either Mozgov or Deng.

Zubac looks like another late draft steal. There are mobility concerns defensively. But offensively he's got a great touch. Unless they move Mozgov though they might feel like one big plodding center is enough and he may be used as a sweetener to a deal. I wouldn't be shocked if that happens because he is going to have some value. I'd like to see him stay though.

Nwaba has been a pleasant surprise. Not sure if they'll be able to retain him or not, I would try to get one of the Mitch special 1+1 deals signed on him on a minimum contract. The effort has been good, the defense is good. He's a jump shot away from being a good player.

T-Rob has performed very well for a minimum signing. I can't imagine he'd sign another minimum deal to be a third or fourth string power forward. If Randle or Nance is moved maybe they bring him back. Otherwise he was a nice one year rental.

I would guess Ennis won't be back.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I have a varying degree of love for all of the young Lakers. There is some young quality talent. Though it's all still developing.

I think this summer we see some guys get moved.

Black is likely a goner if they can find a taker for his contract. He has some value there and you can only have so many power forwards/small ball centers who can't shoot on one roster. Unless Randle or Nance get moved, Black is as good as gone.

I think Ingram is a keeper unless someone sends a superstar our way. Have to like his progress so far even after an underwhelming start.

I think Russell has the most alpha potential on the roster but I could see him getting moved if they can bring back an All-Star. The fact that we have both Clarkson and Russell and they don't play particularly well together makes one of the expendable. That's probably going to be Clarkson. But if the right deal comes along I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Russell go.

Nance's injury concerns probably prevent him from being in discussion as a power forward of the future. I like him off the bench though as a spark plug. I think either he or Randle get moved this summer, and if neither does then Black is certainly moved. Unless he or Randle can hit their jump shots consistently or prove to be a good small ball duo though we really need to find a four who can stretch the court better. There really is nobody right now. Even Deng wasn't doing a good job of stretching the floor when he played at PF.

I have enjoyed Randle's progress this year, but with him being the closest to a big extension and having probably the highest value of the young guys you wouldn't hate to part with there's a chance he gets moved if you can bring back a star player who is a better fit. That having been said I like his work ethic and unless you can bring back a star player in a multiplayer deal I think you move Nance or Black instead. Both of those guys make more sense as bench players if you have a star power forward. Otherwise Randle makes more sense because he has the potential to become that where they don't.

Last game aside, Clarkson is playing the best basketball since his rookie season since the All-star break. I think the biggest problem for him is that he and Russell aren't ideal fits together. If the Lakers keep their pick and draft a point guard, I'm fine with having Clarkson playing the Lou Williams role off the bench. If we need another starter to go alongside Russell though I think he is the most likely guy to get moved. He's young and talented enough to have value, and redundant enough that you can part with him. A package of Clarkson and Randle together can probably fetch a decent return and maybe be used to move either Mozgov or Deng.

Zubac looks like another late draft steal. There are mobility concerns defensively. But offensively he's got a great touch. Unless they move Mozgov though they might feel like one big plodding center is enough and he may be used as a sweetener to a deal. I wouldn't be shocked if that happens because he is going to have some value. I'd like to see him stay though.

Nwaba has been a pleasant surprise. Not sure if they'll be able to retain him or not, I would try to get one of the Mitch special 1+1 deals signed on him on a minimum contract. The effort has been good, the defense is good. He's a jump shot away from being a good player.

T-Rob has performed very well for a minimum signing. I can't imagine he'd sign another minimum deal to be a third or fourth string power forward. If Randle or Nance is moved maybe they bring him back. Otherwise he was a nice one year rental.

I would guess Ennis won't be back.

Quote:

Black is likely a goner if they can find a taker for his contract.

Couldn't they just not pickup his contract for the 2017 - 18 season and be done with it instead of trying to trade him?
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
I remember the year they drafted Randle I kind of liked McDermott. How's his career panned out? Would anyone trade Randle for McDermott?

He's a reserve and no. He plays the same position as Ingram, Deng, and Paul George (if he comes to LA).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: